• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Look Out For The Lowveld Ramblers!

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Do you find, when you get back from your camino, and after your friends have asked “How was your trip?”, you start telling them, but very quickly their eyes glaze over, and they soon lose interest?

Not so with my friends in The Lowveld Rambling Club!

The first Saturday hike after I get back, they really want to hear all about it. They would love to go too, they tell me; “just couldn’t afford it”, says another; “my husband would never let me go away on my own”; “I’ve never been out of the country, let alone go to Spain”; “I would never go away on my own in a million years”; “Jill, you are so blessed to be able to do the camino”; and so it goes on . . . .

And all the while I’m thinking, but you can do it, all and every one of you.

So I started thinking, I wonder if they would go, if I planned and organized it all for them?

It could only be for a limited time, as most of them have jobs, so 3 weeks maximum. The weather would have to be good – don’t want to put them off the camino if it’s too hot, or too cold. We’d have to stay in albergues - wages are pretty low around here, hundreds of miles from the big cities, so they will be on very limited budgets. I’d have to book ahead, being peak season, as I couldn’t risk turning up with a group of people, only to find no beds. And then I’d have to choose the days and mileages very carefully, so that all fitness levels were catered for.

So just for the fun of it, I worked out an itinerary for 3 weeks, and costed it. I still had to factor in the airfares, and getting to and from the big city. But, amazingly, I came up with a very affordable cost price, and ran it by the club’s committee members. They agreed to put it in the club’s program for this year, and I started emailing a few private albergues (in Spanish, using Google Translate).

I was hoping that I would get 6 or 7 people interested . . . I never envisaged that 15 altogether would sign up!

Once they started buying their own return flights (on Iberian Airlines, departing Johannesburg on 8 Sep, and returning from Santiago via Madrid on 29 Sep), I knew we were good to go. I’ve organized for a charter bus to get us to Jo’burg airport and back, and booked us all on the Alsa bus to León when we arrive in Madrid. It has been so much fun putting this trip together, and being able to put something worthwhile back into the club after so many years of happy hiking with them.

So this upcoming camino will be a very different one for me, and I am so looking forward to it. After years of telling everyone they should go alone if they really want to experience the camino in all its glory, I now have my “camino family” readymade right from the start! I will be hoping, as the days progress, they will see just how easy it really is . . . . and then one day, when they feel the camino calling again, be brave enough to go it alone.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow what a great idea Jill! Your group members must be so excited. Please keep all of your digital friends here on the forum up to date on how your planning progresses.
Buen camino and, in the truest sense, Ultreia to all !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a word of warning please make it clear to your group that even though you have organised it you are not their tour director if things go wrong.
Some people can make that assumption and it can place an unfair amount of pressure on you
With that in mind you are doing a wonderful thing

Just a word of warning please make it clear to your group that even though you have organised it you are not their tour director if things go wrong.
Not only that, but I would encourage them to,spread out during the day and evening as not to have such a large group take over small bars and even albergues. It changes the dynamic for everyone: these people, the staff in bars and restaurant, other people walking.

Do you find, when you get back from your camino, and after your friends have asked “How was your trip?”, you start telling them, but very quickly their eyes glaze over, and they soon lose interest?

The first Saturday hike after I get back, they really want to hear all about it. They would love to go too, they tell me; “just couldn’t afford it”, says another; “my husband would never let me go away on my own”; “I’ve never been out of the country, let alone go to Spain”; “I would never go away on my own in a million years”; “Jill, you are so blessed to be able to do the camino”; and so it goes on . . . .

So I started thinking, I wonder if they would go, if I planned and organized it all for them?

It could only be for a limited time, as most of them have jobs, so 3 weeks maximum. The weather would have to be good – don’t want to put them off the camino if it’s too hot, or too cold. We’d have to stay in albergues - wages are pretty low around here, hundreds of miles from the big cities, so they will be on very limited budgets. I’d have to book ahead, being peak season, as I couldn’t risk turning up with a group of people, only to find no beds. And then I’d have to choose the days and mileages very carefully, so that all fitness levels were catered for.

So just for the fun of it, I worked out an itinerary for 3 weeks, and costed it. I still had to factor in the airfares, and getting to and from the big city. But, amazingly, I came up with a very affordable cost price, and ran it by the club’s committee members. They agreed to put it in the club’s program for this year, and I started emailing a few private albergues (in Spanish, using Google Translate).

I was hoping that I would get 6 or 7 people interested . . . I never envisaged that 15 altogether would sign up!

Once they started buying their own return flights (on Iberian Airlines, departing Johannesburg on 8 Sep, and returning from Santiago via Madrid on 29 Sep), I knew we were good to go. I’ve organized for a charter bus to get us to Jo’burg airport and back, and booked us all on the Alsa bus to León when we arrive in Madrid. It has been so much fun putting this trip together, and being able to put something worthwhile back into the club after so many years of happy hiking with them.

So this upcoming camino will be a very different one for me, and I am so looking forward to it. After years of telling everyone they should go alone if they really want to experience the camino in all its glory, I now have my “camino family” readymade right from the start! I will be hoping, as the days progress, they will see just how easy it really is . . . . and then one day, when they feel the camino calling again, be brave enough to go it alone.
Jill
You sound like a remarkable and generous lady to spend so much time researching a trip for so many people! That was "mucho" planning for sure. Wishing you all a Buen Camino in September!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You certainly inspired us with your Camino tales and by what you organised for the Lowveld Ramblers. We have taken the plunge and are walking from SJPP (starting on 18 August) and are on the same flight back to Johannesburg on 29 September. Not sure yet where we'll meet up (if at all) along the route, but we'll keep in touch. 5 weeks (and counting) until we leave for Biarritz.

What a lovely thing to do, they say the planning is as much part of the camino as walking it.
Unfortunately for be being a lone walker I'm not sure that I could handle it, but best of luck for September.
Please keep us all informed on how it goes.

Like minded people generally get excited about Camino. Even if they have not walked it. Since we have been back 13 months we had people who followed of Facebook Camino sight about 6 of these chose to walk the Camino and have completed it. We are traveling again in about 4 weeks on an educational trip and conference to Poland and have set up a Facebook account sight for that already people who followed our Camino walk are asking to join.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree with what Scott and Anemone said. It's very generous of you to invest so much time and energy in organising this. Walking the Camino with a group of so many people will have a big influence on the Camino experiences of the groupmembers themselves. Less spontaneous contacts with other pilgrims is probably the greatest disadvantage. For me and many others this is one of the main "attractions" of walking a Camino. Also I must say that that I don't like it very much when in a small albergue or restaurant a big group is very present, even when they are absolutely not misbehaving.
Still,like I said, I respect your initiative and I hope you succeed in enforcing your groupmembers so that they will have the confidence to walk a Camino by themselves in the future. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now the most difficult, nail-biting bit begins . . . . applying for Schengen visas.

First the appointment, 400kms away in Pretoria, in person, to submit the application and finger prints.

Then the second appointment, about 2 weeks later (their date and time), in person, (did I mention it’s 400kms away?), to pick up the visa . . . if it has been approved.

No refund (and it’s not cheap) if rejected.

Pure dedication and determination for South Africans to walk the camino!
Jill

Oh my gosh Jill you are a saint. I cannot fathom how much work and stress this is and will be for you. I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful experience.

Buen Camino to all of you!

Last edited:

Jill

I would love to hear how this goes. I have a lot of friends who keep asking me to do something like this, but I have always equivocated. I feel kind of guilty and like a bad friend, but I just don't know if I would be good at it or enjoy it.

Are you planning to all do the same stages? All walk together? Are all the nights pre-arranged? Will everyone have a Spanish phone?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, Jill. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jill,

For a fee they will courier the passports to you. I had mine delivered to me so there was no need to face the trip to the city again.

Petro

Last edited:
Hi Jill,

For a fee they will courier the passports to you. I had mine delivered to so there was no need to face the trip to the city again.

Petro

Great! I'll make sure they all know this.
Jill

I would love to hear how this goes. I have a lot of friends who keep asking me to do something like this, but I have always equivocated. I feel kind of guilty and like a bad friend, but I just don't know if I would be good at it or enjoy it.

Are you planning to all do the same stages? All walk together? Are all the nights pre-arranged? Will everyone have a Spanish phone?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, Jill. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie, we have all our nights pre-booked: in private albergues most nights and twin-bed rooms, in budget hotels, in León (the start), in Ponferrada (after 6 days when culture shock may have kicked in), and in Santiago (the end), so yes, we are all doing the same stages.

The group are secure in the knowledge that they have a bed for the night, and do not have to race to get anywhere. In the larger albergues, with many beds, they’ll see lots of other people walking in without a reservation, so see that it is really not necessary to book if walking alone.

I expect that we’ll get spread out during the day, just like we do on Saturday hikes, with the fast ones getting ahead, and the slow ones plodding along behind. I’ll be walking at the back, not starting each day until they have all left (and after my second cup of café con leche :)). Then I can pick up stragglers along the way. The ones up front are quite capable of looking after themselves.

I’ve printed off 15 copies of Brierley’s maps, with each albergue that we are staying at highlighted, so they shouldn’t get lost. They know they can stay with me all day if they really want to. I expect we’ll regroup at bars along the way anyway.

I have set up a Camino Whatsapp group which they are all on, so if we get separated (or someone gets lost), we can stay in touch using the free wifi in the bars and albergues. I doubt that anyone needs to get a Spanish phone. My phone is always activated for international roaming, in case there is an emergency, and a few of the others will have theirs activated too, but mostly they’ll be using wifi to stay in touch with friends and family at home.
Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Jill

Same thing for me! I've been twice and people are amazed that a 68 year old can make it from SJPDP to Santiago. I've organized a trip for September 2018 for a group of 8-12 from Leon to Santiago. I'm a bit worried more than 12 will want to make the pilgrimage. It seems that larger groups lose the intimacy of the personal value of the trek. Perhaps I'm wrong....

I’ve printed off 15 copies of Brierley’s maps, with each albergue that we are staying at highlighted, so they shouldn’t get lost.

They know they can stay with me all day if they really want to. I expect we’ll regroup at bars along the way anyway.
I hope Mr. Brierley is getting a cheque in the mail for these copies of his copywrited material.

I hope Mr. Brierley is getting a cheque in the mail for these copies of his copywrited material.

Personal use is all fine; oh, for goodness sakes, it’s just my little group from deepest darkest Africa; I’m not trying to sell the photocopies. Anyway, it has inspired some of my group members to buy the book – now available in stores in South Africa (for any South Africans out there: check out Exclusive Books) – there was a half price sale a few months ago, and several of the group members bought the book. Lighten up Anemone!
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personal use is all fine; oh, for goodness sakes, it’s just my little group from deepest darkest Africa; I’m not trying to sell the photocopies. Anyway, it has inspired some of my group members to buy the book – now available in stores in South Africa (for any South Africans out there: check out Exclusive Books) – there was a half price sale a few months ago, and several of the group members bought the book. Lighten up Anemone!
Jill
Hey, why does anybody bother? I walk alone, I'm not even a little group. Should I also not pay people for their work? I'm sure Ivar would have also welcomed the few € he gets from these sales.

I'm sure Ivar would have also welcomed the few € he gets from these sales.

I really wanted to buy the latest edition from Ivar, but the post and packing costs more than buying it from my local store. Not only that, when we pick up something from overseas at our post office (if it actually ever arrives, as things tend to go missing in Africa), the South African customs then add their value of the imported item, and we have to pay a lot more xx Rands (dollars to you) before the clerk will hand the goods over.
Jill

Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked with a group called Amawalkers from Durban in May this year.
We did three sections over 22 days starting in St Jean and ending in Santiago. There is no need to worry about the size of the group as everyone walks at their own pace. There were 13 of us and the big group broke into smaller groups depending on fitness and the need for coffee. Often people want to walk alone for a while to think, contemplate, meditate. We met up in the evenings but rarely all went to dinner in the same place and I wasn't aware of any irritation from other pelegrinos. Buen Camino. Vasbyt!

Jill
I think a better quisten is: "Where did you start your Camino" And you find a very diffetent answer.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So today I hired the local Arts Cinema for a few hours.

The group met up for a pre-trip meeting. I took my loaded backpack, and a couple of others brought theirs too, and we discussed what to take and what they could leave behind.

I also invited all club members to then come and join us to watch the movie “The Way”.

The bar was opened, so they could buy popcorn and glasses of wine to take into the cinema with them.

We’re only a little club, with an average attendance rate of 18 people on weekend hikes.

So I was very pleased that 32 people altogether came to watch the movie.

And, from the chats afterwards, it seemed they all enjoyed it :).

We leave in 3 weeks, and now the whole club, as well as the camino group itself, are excited for us!
Jill

Thanks for the update! Oh my, you guys are going to have a lot of fun! Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We leave in 2 days . . .
. . . . we all have visas!
. . . everyone is getting excited and very nervous . . .
but, no worries . . . .
. . . . we’ve got our passports and plane tickets . . . .
. . some euros . . .
. . . . and our credencials . . .
. . . we have printed out our Alsa tickets for the bus from Madrid T4 to León . . .
. . . . and received bank authorisation to use our credit cards (SA legal requirement) . . .
. . . international roaming is activated . . . .
. . . . now we just need to kiss the husband . . . the wife . . . the dog . . . . the teddy bear . . .
. . . then get on the bus . . . and we’re off!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, that was an interesting 3 weeks :). We had our ups and downs. Some fun times. Some bed bug bites! We had to learn tolerance, living together as a group. Some adapted to life on the camino better than others. We had a few injuries. No rain! (Only at night.) Some great meals together. Overall it was a success – all 16 of us met up in front of the cathedral at 6pm for a group photo. But individually? I’ll be listening in to the club’s grapevine over the coming weeks and months to find out . . . .
Jill

Well, that was an interesting 3 weeks :). We had our ups and downs. Some fun times. Some bed bug bites! We had to learn tolerance, living together as a group. Some adapted to life on the camino better than others. We had a few injuries. No rain! (Only at night.) Some great meals together. Overall it was a success – all 16 of us met up in front of the cathedral at 6pm for a group photo. But individually? I’ll be listening in to the club’s grapevine over the coming weeks and months to find out . . . .
Jill

Just found your thread, and delighted to see that it went well, no disasters, no emergencies. Well done, and I am sure you are mightily relieved it is safely over! Thanks for sharing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hopefully everyone appreciated all your efforts! Let's see how next year's club Camino goes (if there is one). As you know, we definitely have the Camino "bug" and are going back in June.

Congratulations to all for completing this Camino. And to you, Jill, for organizing it and helping each of them to find the courage to just get out there and do it. It may take a while for some to sort out just what it all meant to them. And to see how the Camino just keeps continuing once we return home. Wishing each of you all the best!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back