• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise pilgrim app problem for Primitivo

S

sjf

I just finished my first day of walking from Lugo along the Primitivo. I used the wise pilgrim app and had planned to stop at Casa Caminos. However the Camino has recently been rerouted and you cannot get through to the village - there are signs forbidding entry to that part of the path at several points because of work being done and danger on the trail.

There are new markers following a gravel path that leads over the hill to O Hospital Das Seixas, but the Casa Camino stop is the last accomodation until Melide.

I wasn’t the only one thrown off by this. I passed about 4 other pairs of walkers, several of whom where really struggling with the extra 14Km.

I’m pretty fit and had been half thinking about pressing on to Melide anyway, but it would have been nice to know in advance about the change. As it is, I walked 50km, over 65000 steps today.

If you’re planning to stop in Casa Camino, don’t use the wise pilgrim app to get you there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just finished my first day of walking from Lugo along the Primitivo. I used the wise pilgrim app and had planned to stop at Casa Caminos. However the Camino has recently been rerouted and you cannot get through to the village - there are signs forbidding entry to that part of the path at several points because of work being done and danger on the trail.

There are new markers following a gravel path that leads over the hill to O Hospital Das Seixas, but the Casa Camino stop is the last accomodation until Melide.

I wasn’t the only one thrown off by this. I passed about 4 other pairs of walkers, several of whom where really struggling with the extra 14Km.

I’m pretty fit and had been half thinking about pressing on to Melide anyway, but it would have been nice to know in advance about the change. As it is, I walked 50km, over 65000 steps today.

If you’re planning to stop in Casa Camino, don’t use the wise pilgrim app to get you there.

Arrrgh.... I can understand your frustration and concern. However, I don't think that's really a fair critique of the app. Why? Because there is not a single app, guidebook, gps unit, etc. that will anticipate and record all recent changes that occur over every route. You mentioned that this was a fairly recent deviation, so it is unlikely that it could have been incorporated into the app in a timely fashion to keep up with changes like that.

I learned long ago to not depend on technology to get me where I want to go.... always be prepared for plans B, C, and D. When one thinks about it, even without that app, the detour would have still been present. I use apps like this as a part of my planning, but I try to glean first hand information about current conditions from hospitalerias or bars, asking other pilgrims if they've heard anything about the way ahead, or checking the forums for any tidbits like you've posted.

Thank you for your updated information, and I hope the Way ahead has fewer nasty surprises. Buen Camino :)

I am SURE that Michael will fix this toute suite! He is always on these reported problems right away.

On the plus side, the printed guide to the Primitivo is not out. So, this can be corrected in BOTH the app and to be printed guide...I hope.

Hope this helps...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From information re the location of Casa Caminos it looks as though you could walk back down the road from O Hospital Das Seixas to the accommodation. (It is on booking.com - map location - and some form of road access must still be available.
This is something that would need careful checking but may be of help. Also the way back might get signed if the accommodation itself is made aware of the problem

Looking at google earth, it's less than 1 km from O Hospital das Seixas to Casa Camino, down a single track lane to the south which looks very attractive. This track continues on to San Fiz. A 2km detour to stay at Casa Camino would be very acceptable.

When I walked the Primitivo in May this year, I stayed at the albergue at As Seixas and I am fairly certain that we did not go via Casa Camino the next day. My husband had eaten at Casa Camino the previous year and said how good it was. I confused it with Casa Gorinos, unfortunately.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've given up on the wise pilgrim apps, I've paid for the Portuguese, Primitivo, Inglese and the North. Even though I contacted them regarding the problems I was ignored, the Portuguese they said they'd fixed the problems and straight after the update it didn't work and took them months to fix it even though I told them straight away. I've just finished the Primitivo and I can highly recommend the Buen Camino app, it gave you updates as you walked along and would give you alerts when you got near places, it was fantastic and I wished they did the same for some of the other routes.

Following up on the thread above to remind everyone that updates are always coming. Reiterating what @davebugg said above, the caminos are always changing and it is impossible for any guide to stay 100% accurate. Complicating the issue is the fact that local authorities are slow to notify; meaning that a route that was passable on Monday may no longer be passable on Tuesday (I'm looking at you Ferrol).

I get my news from pilgrims and albergues who recognize the need to get the word out, from these forums, and from being on the camino. Every bit of news is followed up for verification, and in this case, I will plan a trip to Lugo to see the change in person and talk to the locals.

With regard to the app fixes, particularly on the Android versions where the sheer number of devices and operating systems means thousands of possible permutations, I do the best that I can to stay on top of them. Be that as it may, there will always be a device, or a user, that has problems and is unsatisfied. I am always happy to issue a refund for anyone that didn't get what they were looking for.

Thanks again to everyone for their support, the year ahead looks bright.

Michael
-Wise Pilgrim Guides

Following up on the thread above to remind everyone that updates are always coming. Reiterating what @davebugg said above, the caminos are always changing and it is impossible for any guide to stay 100% accurate. Complicating the issue is the fact that local authorities are slow to notify; meaning that a route that was passable on Monday may no longer be passable on Tuesday (I'm looking at you Ferrol).

I get my news from pilgrims and albergues who recognize the need to get the word out, from these forums, and from being on the camino. Every bit of news is followed up for verification, and in this case, I will plan a trip to Lugo to see the change in person and talk to the locals.

With regard to the app fixes, particularly on the Android versions where the sheer number of devices and operating systems means thousands of possible permutations, I do the best that I can to stay on top of them. Be that as it may, there will always be a device, or a user, that has problems and is unsatisfied. I am always happy to issue a refund for anyone that didn't get what they were looking for.

Thanks again to everyone for their support, the year ahead looks bright.

Michael
-Wise Pilgrim Guides

Ticking like isn’t enough here. Well done on your excellent after service response!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I purchased the wise pilgrim Norte and Primitivo apps a few weeks ago. Now that I am to leave in 10 days neither app will pull up the maps. Both apps crash.
I have deleted the apps from my Galaxy S7 and reinstalled but to no avail.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks , David

Try the Editorial Buen Camino app. The Frances version never crashed for me, whereas the Wise Pilgrim app did.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back