• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley Portugese 2017 Guide book

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get it and read it thoroughly. I used the previous version for my pilgrimage 2016 Portuguese Lisbon to Santiago coastal route. There is/has been a lot of picky criticisms of the Brierley guides but they are great. I had almost memorised it before I started and found it far superior to another set of route instructions that I was given. There are often several options offered in what ever coloured dots to make clear that they are a variation. The way marking is superb and you are simply walking north! Research the options and decide what you want to do depending on how you feel when you reach the option point. My guide was utilised, photographed, and referred to by so many other pilgrims on the way and seemed consistently better than other options. Brierley often mentions landmarks that reassure you that you are on the correct route and also heaps of interesting background information. However, you need to be comfortable with your selection. Just prepare relax and have fun!

@ivar will digital versions be available soon? I am particularly interested in the maps edition.
Don't think there will be a digital version of the Brierley guide.
Brierley only issues real paperwork.
The maps section is handy and light to carry but you'll miss a lot of (side) information.
You can download o Freixo's maps but they handle about the coastal section from Porto.Give the name Freixo in the searchbox here on the forum and you will find links to his website which btw is in Spanish.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@ivar will digital versions be available soon? I am particularly interested in the maps edition.

It seems that Mr Brierley has stated he is not in favour of taking electronics on the Camino and that we should all carry the paper book!

I like his guide, particularly the maps that are really clear. I like these just to see what town is coming up next, or how many kms to the next coffee stop.

But I have to confess, I scanned the whole book and carry it on my phone as a pdf file!

I did the same with Miam Miam Dodo which is great for accommodation listing but the maps are awful....... The colours and shading used make them very hard to read.

I have not heard of any plans for a digital version... but then again, I am not in contact with him on a regular basis. Had a nice lunch with him when he was here this fall after he walked the Camino Portugues (for the 2017 edition update).

I ordered it from Ivar yesterday! Found the Frances version very good and interesting, hope this one is the same.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm wondering whether I should just get the 'Maps' edition, as while, like Robo and Margaret, I enjoy Brierly's maps and directions, I do dislike his spiritual waffle. And I presume it's a little lighter.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm wondering whether I should just get the 'Maps' edition, as while, like Robo and Margaret, I enjoy Brierly's maps and directions, I do dislike his spiritual waffle. And I presume it's a little lighter.
Regards
Gerard

Hi Gerard. I tend to agree on the waffle a bit. But he needs to cater for all tastes. I like having the whole book (hence scanned it)

I actually carried a hard copy of the small scale maps on the inside front cover! Tore them out :eek:
These are great to see the whole journey, plan stops and so on. See what major towns are coming up...

What I use most are:

1. The inside cover maps.
  2. The stage maps.
  3. The elevation chart (first page of each stage) and it also shows intermediate distances.
  4. And sometimes I read the 'blurb'. Maybe about a town, sights along the way etc.

I think if you only had the maps, you might miss out a bit. There are other sections you might dip into only once, but it could be useful. Just IMHO :oops:

I think if you only had the maps, you might miss out a bit. There are other sections you might dip into only once, but it could be useful. Just IMHO :oops:
Robbo, did I overdo my criticism? I consider his guides really well done. For me the best around. I just ordered the Portuguese Maps. I'll have other literature, and a tablet.
But as a bloke who considers himself only one step up the evolutionary ladder from most other mammals, spiritualist waffle drives me to distraction.
It will therefore come as no suprise if I say that I believe most of my fellow sapiens have much too high an opinion of themselves.
Now where's that emoji button gone.
Regards
Gerard

Is it me? I picked up this Brierley book in preparation for my Porto to SDC this year, but I find it extremely confusing, and I am an avid map reader/lover. Any hints?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the free Kindle app on my iPhone. Recently, I purchased both the digital versions of the Briereley Camino Frances and Camino Portuguese MAPS ONLY editions from the Amazon Kindle Store.

It is singularly important to note that John (thankfully) included the single page for each of his end points (stages) that describe all accommodations and eating places. This makes the maps only guide fully functional.

The introductory and key descriptions are also in all five or six languages, as the print version.

So, you can now have these very popular guides on your smart phones, eliminating the need to carry the book. I found that my iPhone, piggyback battery case, and charger weights about the same as his full Camino Frances guide book.

So, if you do use one of these digital Swiss Army Knife" devices, save the extra weight and go digital.

I hope this helps.

I used the CF maps only guide last year and regretted not having the full guide to explain about the places en route. In fact, I bought the full guide when I returned home to read about what I'd seen. The Kindle app version sounds like a great weight saving option but be aware of the risk of losing everything if your phone fails. My phone stopped charging during my camino and I suddenly realised how much I depended on it for my blog, bookings, camera etc. but the problem was caused by accumulated dust in the charging socket, soon removed with a paper clip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is it me? I picked up this Brierley book in preparation for my Porto to SDC this year, but I find it extremely confusing, and I am an avid map reader/lover. Any hints?[/
The book is a guide rather than a detailed trekking map. Read the text with the map. Some of the city maps are perhaps a bit vague but do in practice get you to where you want to go. When I was preparing I would imagine writing instructions for someone not a map reader as I walked along a familiar route. How would I describe this intersection? Straight over ( s/o). Is there a landmark for guidance (pass the church). The route is very well way marked and stunning. Keep the sun over your right shoulder and head north. I walked the coastal route and took as many add on, detours and variations as I could fit in to the time I had. Take courage and go for it.

Does Brierley's "Maps Only" booklet show the Coastal route AND the Littoral route?
Mine doesn't but the route is easy to find as you leave Ponteverde. I was tempted to take it but I was running out of time. Member sfpotter too, this route and really, really enjoyed it and I also came across two young women who followed that route unintentionally and managed without any problems at all. I am sure others here will have heaps more information for you. My advice is go for it and enjoy yourself!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ivar. We are arriving October 11th in Porto. We come from Denmark. Will it be possible to have the 2018 edition delivered in time? Or should I order 2017 now? Best regards Marie
It would be complicated. The 2018 Brierley Guide will be shipped from the UK to me on Monday. I hope to have it by the end of next week. Then I would need to ship it to you.. so not much time. I am out of his 2017 guide at the moment. Look at the reviews of this book (under the description):
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...ts/a-wise-pilgrim-guides-the-camino-portugues
... a very good alternative (currently in stock).

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will there be an updated 2018 Wise Pilgrim guide for Portugal and if so, when would it be available. Planning on walking in April and if there will be a new guide, would prefer to have it.

Is there a difference in the pilgrim passes for Portugal & Spain, or are they all the same? Trying to decide if I should order them now or get them in Porto at the cathedral.

Hi, I bought Brierley's 2018 Camino Portugués guidebook in the Cathedral Gift Shop on 29 Sep. It has updated info on the Coastal Routes, and a new section at the end on the Variante Espiritual.
Jill

Will there be an updated 2018 Wise Pilgrim guide for Portugal and if so, when would it be available. Planning on walking in April and if there will be a new guide, would prefer to have it.

Is there a difference in the pilgrim passes for Portugal & Spain, or are they all the same? Trying to decide if I should order them now or get them in Porto at the cathedral.

There have not been any substantive changes to the route to merit a re-print, and the 2017 edition printed in April which was late enough in the year to capture most of the new albergue openings. In the coming months I will publish a short list of additions to guide on my website and in Ivar's shop.

Thanks for the support!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I bought Brierley's 2018 Camino Portugués guidebook in the Cathedral Gift Shop on 29 Sep. It has updated info on the Coastal Routes, and a new section at the end on the Variante Espiritual.

does updated info on coastal route mean description as well?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get it and read it thoroughly. I used the previous version for my pilgrimage 2016 Portuguese Lisbon to Santiago coastal route. There is/has been a lot of picky criticisms of the Brierley guides but they are great. I had almost memorised it before I started and found it far superior to another set of route instructions that I was given. There are often several options offered in what ever coloured dots to make clear that they are a variation. The way marking is superb and you are simply walking north! Research the options and decide what you want to do depending on how you feel when you reach the option point. My guide was utilised, photographed, and referred to by so many other pilgrims on the way and seemed consistently better than other options. Brierley often mentions landmarks that reassure you that you are on the correct route and also heaps of interesting background information. However, you need to be comfortable with your selection. Just prepare relax and have fun!

Does anyone know what "s/o" mean in John's book? ie. pg 36 on the A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino Portugues "we continue up onto rua dos Remedios and s/o via ruas Paraiso..." He uses it quite often and I can't figure out what "s/o" means?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You will have no trouble finding your way as it is well marked. You will learn to spot an arrow at 100 paces. They are everywhere, on posts, on stones, on lamp posts. Pay attention particularly in eucalyptus woodlands and relax. You are walking north. In and out of big cities can require care but it is pretty straight forward. Where are you starting?

Does anyone know what "s/o" mean in John's book? ie. pg 36 on the A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino Portugues

Hi Carol, in the same book, page 25, under Map Legend: Symbols & Abbreviations
sixth line down:
Interim distances . . . . . . s/o = straight on
Jill

Hi Carol, in the same book, page 25, under Map Legend: Symbols & Abbreviations
sixth line down:
Interim distances . . . . . . s/o = straight on
Jill
I can't believe that I missed it. I did look several times on this page. :(

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back