• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crime along the VDLP?

hikingpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, everyone. I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Santiago next March and April. I will be walking alone for most of it and my husband plans to join me for the last two weeks.

I've read a few reports and posts in these forums about robberies happening in the first stage of this route, just before Guillena. They all seem to be from 2013 and 2015, but does anyone know if these are still occurring or if there are any other hot spots along the route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't heard anything lately, but having walked this, I think you'll have no problems finding a pilgrim or two to walk with, and if it were me, I'd do that.
I'd post around the various forums, including the Camigas group on Facebook, and my Pilgrims Helping Pilgrims group on Facebook, to see if there are any others walking the same dates.
Just for those first couple of stages.

I left Seville on March 6th of this year. I chose to walk through Camas instead of along the river for the opportunity of a second cup of coffee and to avoid an area that appears to have gotten a mix of reviews. I never saw another pilgrim until I arrived in Guillena and then was surprised to see that there were about 15 who arrived before me.

I never felt threatened that day or any other day on the VDLP. That said - you should have no problem in March finding someone to walk with until you feel comfortable and safe.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked VSDP inApril this year, bit since Guillena was a bit too far for me on day 1, I bused the first 8-10km to Santiponce. From the bus window I kept looking for the dangerous slums I imagined after reading posts here. I never saw them. Frnakly robberies can happen anywhere, and if would take some very stupid thieves to keep robbing people in the same spot. :cool:

Santiponce is a nice subburb with cafes where I met other walkers. Staying in the albergue in Triana the night before I met others and I'm sure they wiuld have been happy to walk with me had I asked.

I've walked this stage three times alone (July 2011, February 2014 and June 2016) and never felt worried. Up until Santiponce it is pretty grungy (did not go through Camas) - believe me, the Plata only gets better after that! There wasn't a soul in sight until Guillena but Santiponce a nice stop for coffee. Take time to visit the Roman ruins at Itálica which is in Santiponce.

Cheers
LT

Hello, everyone. I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Santiago next March and April. I will be walking alone for most of it and my husband plans to join me for the last two weeks.

I've read a few reports and posts in these forums about robberies happening in the first stage of this route, just before Guillena. They all seem to be from 2013 and 2015, but does anyone know if these are still occurring or if there are any other hot spots along the route?
I walked alone in autumn 2013, and was anxious about the first stage, though there were regular Guardia Civil patrols along the track to Guillena. Later on the Camino I read that the perpetrators had attacked a lone Canadian pilgrim, but that he had managed to get help and the guys were then put in prison. However...four years on I guess they are out. Either take a bus for the first day between Italica and Guillena, or make sure you hook up with another pilgrim.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thousands of pilgrims leave Seville each year, with only a couple of robberies in the last 5 years. The Camino is probably the safest place to be in the whole world! I agree that the walk out of Seville is bit dirty in spots, but I walked it without any problems and would encourage anyone wanting to complete the whole VdlP to do the same. If you feel more comfortable taking the road through Camas, I'm sure it would be fine too. The VdlP is a beautiful (and difficult) Camino which should be given a look by more pilgrims.

Hi all
A funny coincidence as I had been planning to ask too. 2 incidents in 5 years isn't bad though I'm sure it was unpleasant was those concerned. If I may just add/ask people who have done it:
- the guides say about 36 days including the Sanabres. Is that about right? ( I did the francés in 29 days a few years ago and that is 250km shorter.
- roughly how many people are a day in albergues in March/ April or April/May or potentially May/June?
Thanks for any help!
Andrew

Last edited:
- the guides say about 36 days including Sanabres. Is that about right? ( i did the francés in 29 days a few years ago and that is 250km shorter.
- roughly how many people a day in albergues in March/ April or April/May or potentially May/June?
Thanks for any help!
Andrew
Andrew,
There are fewer possible stops on VDLP so, quite often, it's the suggested etapa in the guidebook, or two "full" etapas in one day, no possibility of a 35km vs a 25km day for example.

Also consider the heat. In early April I could not stand walking the heat past 1pm.

Finally, albergues were all full when I walked starting March 31st of this year. Mind you, Easter break fell in that period, which most likely increased the numbers quite a bit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all
A funny coincidence asI had been planning to ask too. 2 incidents in 5 years isn't bad though I'm sure it was unpleasant was those concerned. If I may just add/ask people who have done it:
- the guides say about 36 days including Sanabres. Is that about right? ( i did the francés in 29 days a few years ago and that is 250km shorter.
- roughly how many people a day in albergues in March/ April or April/May or potentially May/June?
Thanks for any help!
Andrew

Andrew,
I agree with @Anemone del Camino - the heat, the stages and Easter. I posted above leaving Seville in March when in fact it was April 6th - duh. It was very hot the first week and I found that the stages prevented me from developing the rhythm I enjoyed on the Frances. Some days were shorter than I prefer while others were a bit too long - it's just the way it is. Probably why there are fewer pilgrims. In terms of numbers - there were clearly more pilgrims walking the week before and after Easter.

Hi all
A funny coincidence asI had been planning to ask too. 2 incidents in 5 years isn't bad though I'm sure it was unpleasant was those concerned. If I may just add/ask people who have done it:
Thanks for any help!
Andrew
Andrew, I agree with the first two responses to your question. And I certainly did not intend to minimize the trauma to the victims of any mischief. I've done the VdlP in the spring of 2016 and 2017, so here's what I would add:
Remember you did the Frances 13 years ago. I met a man this year in almost exactly your situation, and he found the years had not been kind to him. Just something to consider.:)
As the others have said, the stage distances are not as conveniently spaced, which can be bothersome when trying to make up a day. I would recommend giving yourself more than 36 days, but only you know your ability.
After looking at MANY blogs and following the comments on the forum, it seems to me that the spring rush is very near April 1st (leaving Seville), although I do not believe it could be predicted exactly for any given year. I began on March 1 this year, partly in order to be ahead of it. The weather was cooler, which was also an advantage - we got just a bit of snow for a couple of days on about March 22, but cool mornings and mildly warm afternoons were the norm.
Buen Camino.

the guides say about 36 days including Sanabres. Is that about right? ( i did the francés in 29 days a few years ago and that is 250km shorter.
- roughly how many people a day in albergues in March/ April
As previously said, on the VDLP, the stage distances are sometimes awkward so you will find yourself choosing between a too-short day and a too-long day, or using a taxi to even things out. Personally, I like more time - at least 42 days for Seville to Santiago.

I walked Seville to Astorga in March 2017. I'd say that until the turn-off for the Sanabres, there were typically about 10-15 people en route each day. There are likely more people who stay only in private accommodation and you often don't even see them. Some of the albergues are small (e.g. 8 beds) and would fill up, but I never heard of any problems in the popular stopping towns.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We encountered a couple of albergues that were completo on our recent VdlP. I would definitely book ahead to Canaveral as this is a long day of walking. It was awful for the pilgrims who arrived to find it was full. Everyone else I spoke to, had booked it in advance, as we thankfully had. Merida filled up quickly but there was alternate accommodation. The albergue at Zamora filled up and latecomers had to go to hotels. In Tabara, the albergue filled up quickly andwe were stuck with nothing left in town. The hospilatero at the albergue sent us out of town, but to cut a long story short we got accommodation in an apartment, privately owned, back in the town. Many extra km walked that day!! We started on April 15th.

Many thanks for all the replies here - all really helpful. Yes, I guess one's pace of 14 years ago may not be the same as now :).
(Apologies for the typos in my last post which were caused by a mixture of jet lag and typing on my phone). I really hope I can 'get' 6 weeks or so for this camino.

Hi, I'm thinking of starting around the end of March 2018 too, I've done Camino de Santiago (2016) and Camino del Norte(2017) I'd be happy to arrange a start date so we can at least have some company at the start...Have a look at my blog: travellingpurplemonkeypants.com :). As you will see I walked on my own, but was never really alone. You will meet people along the way and as the Camino de Santiago becomes more and more touristy many pilgrims are choosing the alternative Caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2012 and 2017 I left Seville in the week after Easter . both times there were many pilgrims in Guillena. I would say that is the busiest couple of weeks of the year. Twice now have walked the river path out of the city,once alone, and no problems at all. We were very alert this year due to the previously reported robbery...
Hot for the first week and then cooled off. Loved it.

Hi, I'm thinking of starting around the end of March 2018 too, I've done Camino de Santiago (2016) and Camino del Norte(2017) I'd be happy to arrange a start date so we can at least have some company at the start...Have a look at my blog: travellingpurplemonkeypants.com :). As you will see I walked on my own, but was never really alone. You will meet people along the way and as the Camino de Santiago becomes more and more touristy many pilgrims are choosing the alternative Caminos.
HI I'm walking on April 4th and more than happy to walk with you is you're starting out then.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back