• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sent email request for Albergue Orrison for 8/1

SLOChick

Time of past OR future Camino
May or September (2018)
I have sent an email on 11/16, after Nov 15, per the web site to reserve a night stay in 2018. How long should that take for them to get back to me?
Thanks
SLOChic

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too am waiting for a response, just like last time. Orisson can be a little maddening to reserve with, because they generally take weeks to respond to reservation requests. Patience. They will send you an email with the date and number of people, and if you like what they have reserved, they will then send another email with a link to pay them via PayPal. At least that's how it has worked in the past. The Paypal invoice comes separately, mysteriously from SARL APATHIA, their corporate handle, rather than Refuge Orisson. Not to worry, that's them!

Buen Camino

Keep in mind that they are closed for the winter now, so maybe they choose not to do emails and reservations either, at this time of year.

I stayed there on 21st October 2017 and it was their last night for the season. They are now shut until the spring.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too am waiting for a response, just like last time. Orisson can be a little maddening to reserve with, because they generally take weeks to respond to reservation requests. Patience. They will send you an email with the date and number of people, and if you like what they have reserved, they will then send another email with a link to pay them via PayPal. At least that's how it has worked in the past. The Paypal invoice comes separately, mysteriously from SARL APATHIA, their corporate handle, rather than Refuge Orisson. Not to worry, that's them!

Buen Camino
Rick nothing like experience to provide insight! Thank you for sharing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May I offer a small tip of advice? When you do try and make a booking, write your date in full, not 8/1, which for most Europeans means 8th January.
Now, in this particular case, January is probably not meant, but if you start to write say 6/5, we would take that as 6th May and certainly not 5th June!!!
I guess you hope to stay in Ourison on 1st August?
Sorry to be picky, but in Europe dates are written day, week, month. And in many other parts of the World too

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As others have said, as the Napoleon Pass is closed from 1 November to 31 March each year, there appears little reason for any commercial establishment relying on pilgrims to be open during that time. Hence, the Refuge Orisson closes for the season. No one is there to take calls, etc.

Also, this is when they take their vacations. So issues like e-mail reservation requests are not addressed until they return in March and start to prepare to open for the long season.

I understand from having spoken in person to the owner some years ago that they take each e-mail request in the date order it is received to seek to honor the request. So, send your request early and get in the message queue.

They will reply. Just remember that it will not be until the later part of March.

BTW, Easter Sunday is on 1 April 2018 (not joking). This means they may be open then, or shortly thereafter, assuming the weather cooperates and the Napoleon Pass is open. At the end of March, you have a 50-50 chance of it being open on any given day.

I hope this helps.

The trend now is toward the International Standard of year-month-day, as in today is 2017-11-21.
This is the format I use for names of files and often data within the files. If you are careful with naming you can get an alphabetic sorting of files give you a chronological ordering also.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Orisson Lives! I received my confirmation email today. Bear in mind that my booking was for early April, yours is for much later. They probably follow some logical order in processing the confirmations over the winter, so you may still have a while to wait.

I have sent an email on 11/16, after Nov 15, per the web site to reserve a night stay in 2018. How long should that take for them to get back to me?
Thanks
SLOChic
I received a reply today. I asked for the night of June 21, 2018, and they replied that we could have a night in a dorm room with bunk beds. I’m now waiting for their second email so I can pay the 50% . I was surprised they responded so soon!

Planning on starting the Camino on April 4, 2018. I emailed them a few days ago about lodging. I posted their reply. It didn’t take too long for them to respond. If they aren’t open, are there other options? Thx!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is the format I use for names of files and often data within the files. If you are careful with naming you can get an alphabetic sorting of files give you a chronological ordering also.

I always WRITE OUT THE MONTH in reservation requests. This eliminates the possibility of error... So...

April 13, 2018 means 13/04/18 OR 04/13/18...;)

But, it is much clearer. In French, April is 'Avril,' and in Spanish 'Abril.' I consider this an easy
life hack."

Besides, the last time I checked, Refuge Orisson, and many small, family run hostals and private albergues use e-mail for reservations, not an online reservation system. Those that use booking. com enjoy the structured pull-down menu system.

A 'home-grown' online system might permit erroneous day/month ordering. A well thought out reservation system will use pull-down tables to restrict you to THEIR desired day/month format.

Easy peasy...

I hope this helps.

A 'home-grown' online system might permit erroneous day/month ordering. A well thought out reservation system will use pull-down tables to restrict you to THEIR desired day/month format.

Easy peasy...
Easy peasy...BUT...

Here is a booking error that I made that I don't want anyone else to make.

We booked a hotel in Barcelona for a few days before starting our camino. Then I booked a train to Pamplona. I ended up booking a further night in Barcelona because after reserving the train tickets to Pamplona I noticed that I had picked the wrong day to leave, going Monday instead of Sunday. It was easier to get the extra day in Barcelona then cancel and rebook the train.

Later I figured out why there was a mess up. I wanted to leave on Sunday, the first day of the week. The Renfe website presented me with a calendar to pick the departure date. I picked the first day of the week. Some of you are saying uh-oh to yourself. Yes, in Spain, the first day of the week on calendars is Monday.

Be careful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone regarding how to write the European style dates. I did receive an email from The Orisson!! Waiting for the PayPal email. So much support and good Karma!
Does anyone have input regarding
The Villa Harriett?
SLOChick

Thanks
SLOChic
I too, sent a email request on 11/17 for April 2018, and just received a reply (11/23). Perhaps they reply in order of the month that is requested?
I am awaiting the Paypal invoice.....
I guess this is a Camino lesson in patience :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Planning on starting the Camino on April 4, 2018. I emailed them a few days ago about lodging. I posted their reply. It didn’t take too long for them to respond. If they aren’t open, are there other options? Thx!
Try Honto/Ithurburia as an alternative. See more here--
http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Bon chance!
Thanks! I will look. Any thoughts on the chance we will be able to take the Napoleon Route by April 4? I just think we should not kill ourselves the first day, and if we have the option to stop in Orisson that would be great.

Thanks! I will look. Any thoughts on the chance we will be able to take the Napoleon Route by April 4? I just think we should not kill ourselves the first day, and if we have the option to stop in Orisson that would be great.

I like to break it up too. The trail is closed by law until April 1st. After that, it opens, and sometimes closes again based upon conditions. When I walked through on April 13th in 2016, there was snow at the top but it was open. We heard from other pilgrims that it closed two days later for a few days. Nobody can answer your question definitively, its a weather thing.

The way it USED to work, and maybe still does, is that you can stay in Orisson if its open and you have a reservation. If the weather takes a turn, they will drive you around to Valcarlos in the morning, and you can pick it up from there. Its a day to day thing early in the season. Not to worry, even if Orisson is closed when you get there, you can walk via Valcarlos, and still break the day up. Check at the Pilgrim Office in St. Jean, and they will tell you what the situation is the day you leave.

Buen Camino

Patience is a virtue my friends...

I understand that the folks running Refuge Orisson respond to e-mail requests in the order received. They populate their reservation schedule using the FIFO model.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks
SLOChic
What is the email address you used? I used orison@wanadoo.fr and it came back as bad address

Good morning Mike, thank you for your response. I have since been successful w my reservation at The Orrison and Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
what email address do you use for Orisson?

Good morning Mike, thank you for your response. I have since been successful w my reservation at The Orrison and Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino!
I have no been. can you send me the email address so I may reserve with them

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back