• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week 2018 - Question

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 CF Spring
Doing my Camino research and preparations - just learned that in Spain the Easter Weekend is actually celebrated for a whole week and starts the weekend before Easter. It is called the Holy Week and in 2018 Easter falls on the 1st of April (early) and the Holy Week starts on the 25th March 2018. I am considering starting my CF at the end of March 2018.

My Newbie Questions:
- Is it a good and sensible time to start a Camino during the Holy Week?
- Can one walk a Camino and also participate in the Holy Week celebrations?
- What should one not do? (being disrespectful, inappropriate, etc)
- Will some shops, bars, food places, pilgrims accommodations, pharmacys, etc be open?
- Do many spaniards start the Camino during the whole week?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peter CapeTown,

Welcome to the forum!

Check out these earlier forum threads for helpful tips re walking during Holy Week.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/holy-week.37233/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-at-easter.30689/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/easter-camino.51639/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-during-easter-week.45258/

It may be a busy time but, of course, it should be very memorable.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Each year, starting on the Wednesday before Easter Sunday, and extending for almost two weeks, there is a surge in the number of pilgrims on the Camino. This is most evident on the Camino Frances, but should be considered on the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago as well, at least IMHO. Other routes with near to Santiago starting nodes are also affected to a lesser degree.

You are correct in your original post. Most Europeans, oddly enough in a largely secular (now) continent, continue to have national holidays on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday. This is a baked-in five-day weekend. Adding several personal holidays on either side, you can see how many Europeans can do a 10-day Camino.

This is enough time to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago (or less, like Sarria); on the Portuguese from Porto, or Tui; from Ourense; from Oviedo, etc.

The net result is that the Camino is artificially busy during this 10 - 14 day period. This is the mentioned "Pig in the Python" effect (my term), but it aptly describes the flow of pilgrims during period of peak flow.

As discussed elsewhere (search for "pig in a python" to find all the various relating posts) this affects commercial lodging. Also, many albergues and other private or commercial lodgings "out in the sticks" may not yet have opened for the season.

Also, it is worth noting that the weeks bracketing Easter, and referred to as "Semana Santa" in both Portugal and Spain are HUGE festival events. Crowds gather. There are religious processions and observances leading up to Easter Sunday, as well as crowded festivals and parties AFTER Easter (the Resurrection). These events generate very large crowds in all cities and large towns. the ripple effect hits lodging opportunities hard during this time.

If you DO follow through and go during this period, book accommodations early, and SHOW UP as reserved, even if you need to hop a taxi to cover the final distance for the day to arrive in time. Many folks here in the forum rely on www.booking.com or www. gronze.com (Spanish only) for reservations.

Weather wise, plan for single digit temperatures (Celsius) in the morning, and rain most days.

FYI, Easter falls on 12 April 2018 next year.

I hope this helps, and that you have a wonderful time.

As far as respectful participation celebrations goes, simply do what the others are doing. Men, take off your hat in any church, or when a religious procession passes in the street, etc. Be considerate and polite towards others. They will reciprocate. You are welcome to go into any church for a celebration. Just be respectful and quiet.

Oh, and BTW, in Spain, and Portugal it is a common practice to set off fireworks in celebration. This is commonly found for weddings, christenings, first communions, and a young woman's 'quincentana' celebration (15th birthday - a big deal in Iberia).

Sometimes, absent having actual fireworks, some folks will discharge shotguns or other weapons in the air. Some of the fireworks sound like weapons. Over the years, I have heard some that sounded like grenades or IEDs (yes, I have experience with both).

The point is, when you hear these sounds do not panic. Consider the context. Then, always have a Plan B to remove yourself quickly from any place that seems a bit sketchy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Did a Holy Week Camino in 1996. In hindsight, the only reason we got room during the last 100km was that it was before the movie. It was an amazing sight in Santiago de Compostella...seemed like 200k or so packed into the square, fireworks, bag pipes...
Not sure about Easter. Am bummed I'm going to miss it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in the Astorga - Ponferrada area during Easter week of 2016, but reserved a week ahead for the busiest days in the major towns. I walked into Salamanca on Easter Sunday 2017 and stayed in the albergue with no problem.

It is a great time to be on the Camino, except the last 100 km would be very busy. Where would you be during Easter week? I'd suggest you reserve that week in advance, as you'll probably be starting in a major town.

Your Newbie Questions:
- Is it a good and sensible time to start a Camino during the Holy Week? Yes, except maybe starting in Sarria.
- Can one walk a Camino and also participate in the Holy Week celebrations? Yes, and the unexpected small celebrations in small towns are fascinating.
- What should one not do? (being disrespectful, inappropriate, etc) Nothing to worry about.
- Will some shops, bars, food places, pilgrims accommodations, pharmacys, etc be open? Some open, some closed. You will not starve.
- Do many spaniards start the Camino during the whole week? Yes, many walk the whole week, especially from Sarria.

I was in the Astorga - Ponferrada area during Easter week of 2016, but reserved a week ahead for the busiest days in the major towns. I walked into Salamanca on Easter Sunday 2017 and stayed in the albergue with no problem.

It is a great time to be on the Camino, except the last 100 km would be very busy. Where would you be during Easter week? I'd suggest you reserve that week in advance, as you'll probably be starting in a major town.

Your Newbie Questions:
- Is it a good and sensible time to start a Camino during the Holy Week? Yes, except maybe starting in Sarria.
- Can one walk a Camino and also participate in the Holy Week celebrations? Yes, and the unexpected small celebrations in small towns are fascinating.
- What should one not do? (being disrespectful, inappropriate, etc) Nothing to worry about.
- Will some shops, bars, food places, pilgrims accommodations, pharmacys, etc be open? Some open, some closed. You will not starve.
- Do many spaniards start the Camino during the whole week? Yes, many walk the whole week, especially from Sarria.

Thanks for the feedback. If all goes as planned I would be between St Jean and Pamplona and onwards.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
G'day Peter,

Here's one from left field.

Pull out your "bucket list". Look at 1 to 10 and slot in Semana Santa in a Spanish city near the top.

In other words, plan to spend the whole week there, and don't walk.

The experience is simply awesome. The whole week celebrates the events leading up to the crucifixion and resurrection. Usually every evening/night there will be a huge procession from a local church commemorating the event of that day, from Palm Sunday on, with ornate floats, soldiers, brass bands playing incredibly high music incredibly well, hooded men the colour of the hoods representing their particular devotional bent (hoods sadly copied by the Ku Klux Klan) and what seems like thousands of the devout in the march. They can take place early to late in the evening, in the early hours of the morning to just before first light in the case of Easter Sunday.

I had planned my Camino for well before Semana Santa so my wife, sister-in-law and I could do over a bit of Spain and spend Holy Week in Toledo, the seat of the Catholic Church in Spain. We had pre-booked into a hostal which turned out to be only about 50 yards from the Cathedral. Spanish locals throughout Spain told us that of all the wonderful places in Spain there are two "magical" cities, Santiago de Compostela and Toledo.

Semana Santa in Toledo was the experience of a lifetime. I'm sure others have felt similarly about the week spent in other Spanish cities. Seville gets a good wrap.

If you can, try to do this. If not this time, certainly later. Not to be missed!

De Colores

Bogong

G'day Peter,

Here's one from left field.

Pull out your "bucket list". Look at 1 to 10 and slot in Semana Santa in a Spanish city near the top.

In other words, plan to spend the whole week there, and don't walk.

The experience is simply awesome. The whole week celebrates the events leading up to the crucifixion and resurrection. Usually every evening/night there will be a huge procession from a local church commemorating the event of that day, from Palm Sunday on, with ornate floats, soldiers, brass bands playing incredibly high music incredibly well, hooded men the colour of the hoods representing their particular devotional bent (hoods sadly copied by the Ku Klux Klan) and what seems like thousands of the devout in the march. They can take place early to late in the evening, in the early hours of the morning to just before first light in the case of Easter Sunday.

I had planned my Camino for well before Semana Santa so my wife, sister-in-law and I could do over a bit of Spain and spend Holy Week in Toledo, the seat of the Catholic Church in Spain. We had pre-booked into a hostal which turned out to be only about 50 yards from the Cathedral. Spanish locals throughout Spain told us that of all the wonderful places in Spain there are two "magical" cities, Santiago de Compostela and Toledo.

Semana Santa in Toledo was the experience of a lifetime. I'm sure others have felt similarly about the week spent in other Spanish cities. Seville gets a good wrap.

If you can, try to do this. If not this time, certainly later. Not to be missed!

De Colores

Bogong
Ahhh, Yes, now that is an idea to consider! Haven't thought along those lines, even if so obvious. i am still flexible as no plane tickets purchased yet but i am close to finalising dates, airline, kit, etc. (I really struggle to leave my family, work, business, etc alone for +-5 weeks. Despite that they are saying: "Go, we will be fine!")

Maybe my better half could join me during those Semana Santa days? (She has worked for decades for Catholic News Service, so this might be of interest to her)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would recommend that you travel around a bit, because there are very different local traditions. The sombre celebrations in Burgos (apart from Easter Sunday, when they release white doves) is very different from the night precessions in Zamora. Seville is just wonderful, and following a just few of the many processions will give you plenty of exercise...

Google Semana santa Ubeda romanos for something very, very different. (I can't choose just one of the films...)

Semana Santa in Toledo was the experience of a lifetime. I'm sure others have felt similarly about the week spent in other Spanish cities.
Yes, it's definitely worth being part of this! Semana Santa processions in Leon are fantastic. Another year I was in Villafranca, and that was wonderful in a different way, a whole lot more low-key than the big city. And the Madonna for the procession there was really special:

Two of my four caminos have coincided with SS, and while things became more crowded (often with families), I never had any trouble finding a place to sleep...it was just that suddenly the albergues were busier and much noisier. Busy is OK, but the noise late into the night was sometimes a bit hard to deal with. The solution (and it worked very well) was to start staying in smaller towns, away from the most popular stages.

Attachments

• Semana Santa Madonna Villafranca.JPG
    Semana Santa Madonna Villafranca.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Doing my Camino research and preparations - just learned that in Spain the Easter Weekend is actually celebrated for a whole week and starts the weekend before Easter. It is called the Holy Week and in 2018 Easter falls on the 1st of April (early) and the Holy Week starts on the 25th March 2018. I am considering starting my CF at the end of March 2018.

My Newbie Questions:
- Will some shops, bars, food places, pilgrims accommodations, pharmacys, etc be open?

I did my first CF this year starting March 19th and was blessed to witness and participate in the Easter Holy Week celebrations in both large (Leon) and small (Samos) communities......I will walk the Norte starting early March to again experience Holy Week on the Camino...an amazing time. Buen camino ! PS: the Spanish pilgrims are lovely so don’t worry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

My Newbie Questions:
Thanks for asking this question! Holy Week events, Semana Santa, sound wonderful and I will add this to my Camino bucket list.

I did my first CF this year starting March 19th and was blessed to witness and participate in the Easter Holy Week celebrations in both large (Leon) and small (Samos) communities......I will walk the Norte starting early March to again experience Holy Week on the Camino...an amazing time. Buen camino ! PS: the Spanish pilgrims are lovely so don’t worry.
I am definitely getting keen to experience the Holy Week while doing the Camino.
How was the weather on the CF during March/April 2017?
Not worried about the spanish pilgrims - planning to learn Espanol and practise it on the Camino.

I am definitely getting keen to experience the Holy Week while doing the Camino.
How was the weather on the CF during March/April 2017?
Not worried about the spanish pilgrims - planning to learn Espanol and practise it on the Camino.

I spent 34 days from SJPP to Santiago (rest day in Leon) then 5 days Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and I had 1 day of rain/snow near Los Arcos and a few hours of heavy rain before Atapuerca. There was no rain at all in April - the driest April in 42 years. Morning temps were between 4-10C and daytime temps 20-28C. I’ll walk the northern route in March 2018. Yes it’s good to learn some Spanish, it makes for a nicer Camino being able to interact with the locals. Buen camino !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I spent 34 days from SJPP to Santiago (rest day in Leon) then 5 days Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and I had 1 day of rain/snow near Los Arcos and a few hours of heavy rain before Atapuerca. There was no rain at all in April - the driest April in 42 years. Morning temps were between 4-10C and daytime temps 20-28C. I’ll walk the northern route in March 2018. Yes it’s good to learn some Spanish, it makes for a nicer Camino being able to interact with the locals. Buen camino !
That would be my perfect walking weather!

My Newbie Questions:

Hi Peter,
Fellow South African living in Ireland....Will also be starting on March 30th - where are you starting?

Walking during Holy Week will be crazy wonderful!
I did it back in 2006 with no reservations ahead! - it was awesome!
I wouldn't suggest going without reservations now but it's spectacular!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Peter,
Fellow South African living in Ireland....Will also be starting on March 30th - where are you starting?
Hi M
Planning to start on the 28 or 29 of March from St Jean.
Weather permitting - if the Pyrenees are still snowed in i might change my starting point.
AND(!) french ATC strike permitting - If i cant fly from Madrid to Biarritz due to the strike then i might take the bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona.
Where are you starting from?

My Newbie Questions:
Thanks for posting Peter I was going to start a thread but got distracted (feeble brain )and you beat me to it. This is the main reason I’ll bring my Cannon Camera

Last edited:
Each year, starting on the Wednesday before Easter Sunday, and extending for almost two weeks, there is a surge in the number of pilgrims on the Camino. This is most evident on the Camino Frances, but should be considered on the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago as well, at least IMHO. Other routes with near to Santiago starting nodes are also affected to a lesser degree.

You are correct in your original post. Most Europeans, oddly enough in a largely secular (now) continent, continue to have national holidays on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday. This is a baked-in five-day weekend. Adding several personal holidays on either side, you can see how many Europeans can do a 10-day Camino.

This is enough time to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago (or less, like Sarria); on the Portuguese from Porto, or Tui; from Ourense; from Oviedo, etc.

The net result is that the Camino is artificially busy during this 10 - 14 day period. This is the mentioned "Pig in the Python" effect (my term), but it aptly describes the flow of pilgrims during period of peak flow.

As discussed elsewhere (search for "pig in a python" to find all the various relating posts) this affects commercial lodging. Also, many albergues and other private or commercial lodgings "out in the sticks" may not yet have opened for the season.

Also, it is worth noting that the weeks bracketing Easter, and referred to as "Semana Santa" in both Portugal and Spain are HUGE festival events. Crowds gather. There are religious processions and observances leading up to Easter Sunday, as well as crowded festivals and parties AFTER Easter (the Resurrection). These events generate very large crowds in all cities and large towns. the ripple effect hits lodging opportunities hard during this time.

If you DO follow through and go during this period, book accommodations early, and SHOW UP as reserved, even if you need to hop a taxi to cover the final distance for the day to arrive in time. Many folks here in the forum rely on www.booking.com or www. gronze.com (Spanish only) for reservations.

Weather wise, plan for single digit temperatures (Celsius) in the morning, and rain most days.

FYI, Easter falls on 12 April 2018 next year.

I hope this helps, and that you have a wonderful time.
Do you recommend reservations in Roncesvalles and Valcarlos during this time?

Yes, if only because these are the first night stay for many pilgrims. The tranche of pilgrims starting from SJPdP daily tends to spread out after the first day or two. But there is a certain luxury of knowing you have a bed waiting for you.

Hope this helps.

Yes, if only because these are the first night stay for many pilgrims. The tranche of pilgrims starting from SJPdP daily tends to spread out after the first day or two. But there is a certain luxury of knowing you have a bed waiting for you.

Hope this helps.
Muchas Gracias mi amigo.reserved in SJPDP but was waiting to see if Orisson was going to be open. At this moment it may be a blessing in disguise to reserve in Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. 1 April is coming up fast

Orisson may not be 'open" but they do respond to e-mail. That is the only way you can reserve. Here it their web page: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

If you plan to take the Napoleon Pass route, I strongly recommend staying at Orisson the first night and Roncesvalles the second night. I make this recommendation for these reasons:

1. After 2.5 - 3.0 hours of walking UP, it may only be eight km, but it is a steady upward incline. This being your first day, most pilgrims are knackered. It is the single most difficult stage of the entire Camino Frances. everyone else has done it. You just need to be prepared and manage it accordingly.

2. Refuge Orisson is a private albergue. They offer beds in a dormitory setting. The bathrooms are clean. Mind the 5 minute hot water 'jetons' (tokens) though. The food is wonderful, basic but tasty, and served family-style in the evening. The group dinner is a seminal experience.

3. The views from the deck across the road are priceless, especially on a clear day. I cannot overstate the beauty.

4. Here, you will meet others and form your "Camino Family" who will walk more or less with you over the next several weeks that you are on Camino. This is a literal, once in a lifetime experience. I recommend it hearity.

5. The next morning, having walked the single toughest UP on the entire Camino Frances, you can continue up and over the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles. This breaks up the single 26 Km first stage into 8 + 18 km. For most pilgrims it makes the entire journey more pleasant.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Orisson may not be 'open" but they do respond to e-mail. That is the only way you can reserve. Here it their web page: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

If you plan to take the Napoleon Pass route, I strongly recommend staying at Orisson the first night and Roncesvalles the second night. I make this recommendation for these reasons:

1. After 2.5 - 3.0 hours of walking UP, it may only be eight km, but it is a steady upward incline. This being your first day, most pilgrims are knackered. It is the single most difficult stage of the entire Camino Frances. everyone else has done it. You just need to be prepared and manage it accordingly.

2. Refuge Orisson is a private albergue. They offer beds in a dormitory setting. The bathrooms are clean. Mind the 5 minute hot water 'jetons' (tokens) though. The food is wonderful, basic but tasty, and served family-style in the evening. The group dinner is a seminal experience.

3. The views from the deck across the road are priceless, especially on a clear day. I cannot overstate the beauty.

4. Here, you will meet others and form your "Camino Family" who will walk more or less with you over the next several weeks that you are on Camino. This is a literal, once in a lifetime experience. I recommend it hearity.

5. The next morning, having walked the single toughest UP on the entire Camino Frances, you can continue up and over the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles. This breaks up the single 26 Km first stage into 8 + 18 km. For most pilgrims it makes the entire journey more pleasant.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for the info I’m not worried ...maybe more excited than anything lol. I emailed them a couple weeks ago and received a fast response they said to call the day before. My hope even with bad knees is to stay at Orisson and get that feeling of pilgrim bliss of the first Camino night and conquer the Pyrenees lol But I suspect snow still on the mountain , next week may not be any different. I will check with the pilgrims office when I arrive.

As far as respectful participation celebrations goes, simply do what the others are doing. Men, take off your hat in any church, or when a religious procession passes in the street, etc. Be considerate and polite towards others. They will reciprocate. You are welcome to go into any church for a celebration. Just be respectful and quiet.

Oh, and BTW, in Spain, and Portugal it is a common practice to set off fireworks in celebration. This is commonly found for weddings, christenings, first communions, and a young woman's 'quincentana' celebration (15th birthday - a big deal in Iberia).

Sometimes, absent having actual fireworks, some folks will discharge shotguns or other weapons in the air. Some of the fireworks sound like weapons. Over the years, I have heard some that sounded like grenades or IEDs (yes, I have experience with both).

The point is, when you hear these sounds do not panic. Consider the context. Then, always have a Plan B to remove yourself quickly from any place that seems a bit sketchy.

I hope this helps.

Hi t2andreo. Sorry to say it, but I must contradict you. What you call quicentana is not a Iberian deal, but a Sud American one. Belive me, twenty years ago, nobody nows what kind of celebration was this. What we knew was the "Puesta de largo" ( The moment a girl wears her first "Long Skirt, and started being part of the offert of marriageable young women) a very antiquated high society´s similar celebration, nor a popular one.
Is that High Society´s "Puesta de Largo" what "quincentana" emulates in some Sud American countries. Due the increase of american migrants in the last fifhteen/twenty years, it is becoming relatively easy to find that kind of celebratrions nowadays in Spain, can´t say anything about this topic in Portugal.
Buen Camino to you all, honest people.

Orisson said to contact then the day before because of the weather. At the end of March, and into April, snow is common on the mountain pass.

Likely they will not accept the booking unless they know they will be open. My suggestion is to e-mail them from your smartphone, from SJPdP the day before you plan to start.

Also check in at the Pilgrim Office, #39 Rua de Citadelle. You need to do that anyway to get your first stamp / sello. They have the MOST CURRENT weather for the Napoleon Pass. They are also the arbiters of whether the pass is open or closed.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi t2andreo. Sorry to say it, but I must contradict you. What you call quicentana is not a Iberian deal, but a Sud American one. Belive me, twenty years ago, nobody nows what kind of celebration was this. What we knew was the "Puesta de largo" ( The moment a girl wears her first "Long Skirt, and started being part of the offert of marriageable young women) a very antiquated high society´s similar celebration, nor a popular one.
Is that High Society´s "Puesta de Largo" what "quincentana" emulates in some Sud American countries. Due the increase of american migrants in the last fifhteen/twenty years, it is becoming relatively easy to find that kind of celebratrions nowadays in Spain, can´t say anything about this topic in Portugal.
Buen Camino to you all, honest people.

I always welcome any and all corrections. Accuracy is very important. I am not too proud to admit when I was not totally correct.

That said, I can only post based on my experience and knowledge. On this point, your knowledge is better than mine.

Thank you for the correction.

Semana Santa in Seville is tops. The best in all of Spain.
The processions in Seville are a once in a life time thing to see.

I see very little change in the processions I saw as a child in the 50s to what I see today.

I remember the processions in Seville and Ferrol as a child in the 50s. (I grew up in both places). Not much has changed over the years for these possessions. Wonderful to see.

But expect large crowds. Especially in Seville! Very large crowds.

Now I say this with reservation...Holy Week in Northern Spain is not a big of deal as in Southern Spain. So the impact on you walking in Northern Spain during Holy Week will be less than in Southern Spain. Exception is in Ferrol.

Ferrol is big for Semana Santa processions. Reason I say this is Holy Week processions are not that big of a deal in this region of Spain. Except Ferrol.
So, if starting the Ingles during Holy Week Ferrol is a good place to witness the processions.

Many good replies to OP questions.

As far as stores open..this depends....
I know many family owned places in Seville will either be closed during Holy Week or have reduced hours. But, you should find some place open i.e. grocery, cafe, bar etc.

As far as what to do or not to do....common sense rules. Since a religious event, respect is best thing to do.

Holy Week is a huge event in Spain. Holy Week in Spain is the annual tribute of the Passion of Jesus Christ celebrated by Catholic religious brotherhoods and fraternities that perform penance processions on the streets of almost every Spanish city and town during the last week of Lent, the week immediately before Easter. Seville is the biggest.

When I was a child in Spain in the 50s everything was closed in Seville and Ferrol. Things have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the info I’m not worried ...maybe more excited than anything lol. I emailed them a couple weeks ago and received a fast response they said to call the day before. My hope even with bad knees is to stay at Orisson and get that feeling of pilgrim bliss of the first Camino night and conquer the Pyrenees lol But I suspect snow still on the mountain , next week may not be any different. I will check with the pilgrims office when I arrive.
See how it is on the day. I grew up in the Alps and the spring weather changes very quickly; for the better and for the worse. So anything is possible.
On the first week of walking the Camino - just take it sweet-n-easy. Let your body get used to it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
See how it is on the day. I grew up in the Alps and the spring weather changes very quickly; for the better and for the worse. So anything is possible.
On the first week of walking the Camino - just take it sweet-n-easy. Let your body get used to it.
No worries here :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.