• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CdM - albergues April 2014

ruimsig

My wife and I walked the Camino de Madrid (Madrid to Sahagún) from 8-22 April 2014 and we would like to share some information iro albergues and distances.

Day 1: From Madrid 23 km to Tres Cantos. Albergue in the basement of the Ayuntamiento, in the centre of the town. Sleeps four, double bunk bed plus double mattress. Security alarm is activated at 21:00 when you have to be in and stay in until 07:00 in the morning when the entrance doors to the building are opened. Free.
Day 2: 27 km to Manzanares el Real. No albergue. Hotel Parque Real is closed. We stayed with señora Ela, 22 calle Alamos in the centre of the town. €15 pp.
Day 3: 19 km to Cercedilla. Albergue in the Polideportivo at the entrance to the town. If the office is closed, ask at the local police. The police office is next to the main entrance to the Ayuntamiento in the centre of the town. The sports complex is quite busy and you will only be given accommodation in the sala de aerobics after 22:00. Free.
Day 4: 31 km to Segovia. Be prepared, this is a very exhausting day. Stayed in a pension, €35 for a double room.
Day 5: 21 km to Añe. The albergue was being renovated when we slept there. ± 15 beds, bathroom with one shower and one toilet, no cooking facilities. Get the key from the occupants of the white house on the left as you enter the town. Free.
Day 6: 11 km to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva. Albergue near the church, phone the number on the door. Pleasant small albergue with 6 beds, bathroom, kitchen. Donativo.
Day 7: 22 km to Coca. Albergue with 16 beds, bathroom and kitchen with microwave. Get the key from Charo who lives one block away from the albergue. If she is not at home, ask for her at the church. €5 pp.
Day 8: 25 km to Alcazarén. Nice albergue with 8 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave. Situated near the bus stop. Get the key at the Bar Real. Donativo.
Day 9: 25 km to Puente Duero. Very pleasant albergue with a hospitalero. 7 beds, bathroom, kitchen. Donativo. Situated on the left 100 metres down the street before crossing the bridge.
Day 10: 12 km to Ciguñuela. Nice albergue in calle Las Eras. Get the key from no. 24 calle Las Eras. 16 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave. €3 pp.
Day 11: 14 km to Peñaflor de Hornija. New albergue with good facilities - 12 beds, kitchen with stove, microwave and fridge, bathroom. €3 pp.
Day 12: 24 km to Medina de Rioseco. Albergue in Monastery. Very friendly reception. Facilities include 18 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave, stove and fridge. €7 pp.
Day 13: 19 km to Cuenca de Campos. Municipal albergue at 3 calle Domingo de Campos. Ask for key at Ayuntamiento. 30 beds, kitchen, bathroom. €6 pp.
Day 14: 26 km to Santervás de Campos. The albergue is near the church and run by Anna and her husband. They also run a small shop and bar next to the albergue. Facilities include 24 beds, bathrooms, kitchen with microwave. €6 pp.
Day 15: 15 km to Sahagún. Various accommodation options. We stayed at the municipal albergue situated at no 55 Avenida de los Doctores Bermejo y Calderón with 16 beds, two bathrooms, kitchen, dining area. €5 pp.

There are other alternatives and towns and places to stay over but the above itinerary and especially the shorter days suited us because of unforeseen blisters and sore feet!

What we have noticed is that albergues nowadays tend to provide the following: a bed, hot water and a kitchen with a microwave and/or stove. This means no pots and pans, crockery and cutlery.

The Camino de Madrid was very quiet when we walked it from 8-22 April and we were on our own most of the time. On 5-6 occasions we shared an albergue with 2-4 other pilgrims.

After completing the CdM we continued with the Camino del Salvador from Leon to Oviedo followed by the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago.

We had fabulous weather - no rain until the very last day (20 May) 10 km from Santiago when it started raining!

We hope that the above information will be of some use for those who are planning to walk the Camino de Madrid.
Izak and Antoinette.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks much for the update, Izak and Antoinette. I did not stay in Ane because of bad reports, so I'm sure the renovations are very welcome.

The people who live north of Segovia on this Camino have a running battle with the "powers" in the Madrid region. They continually complain that the total numbers of pilgrims on the camino is greatly reduced by the lack of infrastructure during those first few days. And that since the Madrid Assoc. people all live near the Camino or have friends along the way, they don't push for albergues in the early stages. We need more people like Senora Ela in Manzanares -- that's a good (and cheaper) replacement for the hotel, but maybe someday somehow that awesome albergue will reopen up on the pico sacra.

If you're inclined to post more, I'd love to hear about your Salvador/Norte combination. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks so much for the information. I walk this route September.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much for the information. I walk this route September.
Thanks much for the update, Izak and Antoinette. I did not stay in Ane because of bad reports, so I'm sure the renovations are very welcome.

The people who live north of Segovia on this Camino have a running battle with the "powers" in the Madrid region. They continually complain that the total numbers of pilgrims on the camino is greatly reduced by the lack of infrastructure during those first few days. And that since the Madrid Assoc. people all live near the Camino or have friends along the way, they don't push for albergues in the early stages. We need more people like Senora Ela in Manzanares -- that's a good (and cheaper) replacement for the hotel, but maybe someday somehow that awesome albergue will reopen up on the pico sacra.

If you're inclined to post more, I'd love to hear about your Salvador/Norte combination. Buen camino, Laurie

Hola Laurie, I do intend to shortly post more about our experiences on the Salvador and Norte caminos. We found your and Rebekah's guide on the Del Salvador very useful and complete and will send some comments to the email address mentioned on page 29 of your guide. The Del Salvador, in our opinion, was the most scenic of all the caminos that we have walked up to now. The route is very well marked, the local people are friendly and helpful, the albergues are of high standard and as a bonus we had good weather! It is a short but challenging walk and if we had a choice to repeat any of our previous caminos that we have done, this will be it! Chao, Izak.

& A
My wife and I walked the Camino de Madrid (Madrid to Sahagún) from 8-22 April 2014 and we would like to share some information iro albergues and distances.

Day 1: From Madrid 23 km to Tres Cantos. Albergue in the basement of the Ayuntamiento, in the centre of the town. Sleeps four, double bunk bed plus double mattress. Security alarm is activated at 21:00 when you have to be in and stay in until 07:00 in the morning when the entrance doors to the building are opened. Free.
Day 2: 27 km to Manzanares el Real. No albergue. Hotel Parque Real is closed. We stayed with señora Ela, 22 calle Alamos in the centre of the town. €15 pp.
Day 3: 19 km to Cercedilla. Albergue in the Polideportivo at the entrance to the town. If the office is closed, ask at the local police. The police office is next to the main entrance to the Ayuntamiento in the centre of the town. The sports complex is quite busy and you will only be given accommodation in the sala de aerobics after 22:00. Free.
Day 4: 31 km to Segovia. Be prepared, this is a very exhausting day. Stayed in a pension, €35 for a double room.
Day 5: 21 km to Añe. The albergue was being renovated when we slept there. ± 15 beds, bathroom with one shower and one toilet, no cooking facilities. Get the key from the occupants of the white house on the left as you enter the town. Free.
Day 6: 11 km to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva. Albergue near the church, phone the number on the door. Pleasant small albergue with 6 beds, bathroom, kitchen. Donativo.
Day 7: 22 km to Coca. Albergue with 16 beds, bathroom and kitchen with microwave. Get the key from Charo who lives one block away from the albergue. If she is not at home, ask for her at the church. €5 pp.
Day 8: 25 km to Alcazarén. Nice albergue with 8 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave. Situated near the bus stop. Get the key at the Bar Real. Donativo.
Day 9: 25 km to Puente Duero. Very pleasant albergue with a hospitalero. 7 beds, bathroom, kitchen. Donativo. Situated on the left 100 metres down the street before crossing the bridge.
Day 10: 12 km to Ciguñuela. Nice albergue in calle Las Eras. Get the key from no. 24 calle Las Eras. 16 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave. €3 pp.
Day 11: 14 km to Peñaflor de Hornija. New albergue with good facilities - 12 beds, kitchen with stove, microwave and fridge, bathroom. €3 pp.
Day 12: 24 km to Medina de Rioseco. Albergue in Monastery. Very friendly reception. Facilities include 18 beds, bathroom, kitchen with microwave, stove and fridge. €7 pp.
Day 13: 19 km to Cuenca de Campos. Municipal albergue at 3 calle Domingo de Campos. Ask for key at Ayuntamiento. 30 beds, kitchen, bathroom. €6 pp.
Day 14: 26 km to Santervás de Campos. The albergue is near the church and run by Anna and her husband. They also run a small shop and bar next to the albergue. Facilities include 24 beds, bathrooms, kitchen with microwave. €6 pp.
Day 15: 15 km to Sahagún. Various accommodation options. We stayed at the municipal albergue situated at no 55 Avenida de los Doctores Bermejo y Calderón with 16 beds, two bathrooms, kitchen, dining area. €5 pp.

There are other alternatives and towns and places to stay over but the above itinerary and especially the shorter days suited us because of unforeseen blisters and sore feet!

What we have noticed is that albergues nowadays tend to provide the following: a bed, hot water and a kitchen with a microwave and/or stove. This means no pots and pans, crockery and cutlery.

The Camino de Madrid was very quiet when we walked it from 8-22 April and we were on our own most of the time. On 5-6 occasions we shared an albergue with 2-4 other pilgrims.

After completing the CdM we continued with the Camino del Salvador from Leon to Oviedo followed by the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago.

We had fabulous weather - no rain until the very last day (20 May) 10 km from Santiago when it started raining!

We hope that the above information will be of some use for those who are planning to walk the Camino de Madrid.
Izak and Antoinette.
Thanks, Izak & Antoinette!!!
Definitely useful info because I'll start my CdM in two weeks time :)

Ultreia!

One more question, Izak & Antoinette.
Does this mean that you're literary locked inside the albergue or in entire building? Can you at least open the window or is there a place for smokers in the ayuntamiento?

Thanks!
K1

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One more question, Izak & Antoinette.
Does this mean that you're literary locked inside the albergue or in entire building? Can you at least open the window or is there a place for smokers in the ayuntamiento?

Thanks!
K1

Hi, K1, Sorry I can't answer your question about 3 Cantos, but I never slept there.

We will start walking in Bilbao on the 19th, so we may well cross paths on the Invierno. I'll try to be in contact via the forum. Before starting the Invierno, we are hoping/planning to do a little detour from Ponferrada to the Valle del Silencio and Penalba de Santiago and take several day hikes in what looks like a really beautiful part of the country.

Buen camino, and hope we will meet up on the Invierno. Laurie

Hi, K1, Sorry I can't answer your question about 3 Cantos, but I never slept there.

We will start walking in Bilbao on the 19th, so we may well cross paths on the Invierno. I'll try to be in contact via the forum. Before starting the Invierno, we are hoping/planning to do a little detour from Ponferrada to the Valle del Silencio and Penalba de Santiago and take several day hikes in what looks like a really beautiful part of the country.

Buen camino, and hope we will meet up on the Invierno. Laurie
Definitely must stay in touch, Laurie. I've bought this smart phone and will write some posts here on forum. On Invierno I'll try to get in touch with Sue (sulu), so maybe we can all have a glass or two of wine together, you never know ;)
I remember you mentioned this detour from Acebo to Valle del Silencio and Penalba de Santiago. Must be a beauty. But in my case will have to wait for another Camino.
Only two more days for me taking off and enjoy additional two days in Madrid, starting on 20th.

Regards to @Susannafromsweden as well :)

Hi K1, you are locked inside the building but have access to the bathrooms. Do not venture into the rest of the building because you will trigger the alarm! You can open the windows in the "albergue" (which is actually just a room on the ground floor) but I can not remember if there is a smoke detector which may also trigger the alarm. Good luck and buen camino!
Izak.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi K1, you are locked inside the building but have access to the bathrooms. Do not venture into the rest of the building because you will trigger the alarm! You can open the windows in the "albergue" (which is actually just a room on the ground floor) but I can not remember if there is a smoke detector which may also trigger the alarm. Good luck and buen camino!
Izak.
Thank you, Izak.
Yes, I'm a smoker, but don't want to leave the smell (or rather "stink") of cigarettes smoke in a room which will be used by others after I'm gone. And of course if it's prohibited it's prohibited, very simple ;)

Izak and Antoinette.

Izak, how many days did you take for the entire walk from Madrid to Santiago? I want to do this route so badly but only have 33 days total. Did you go to Leon from Sahagun before heading north?

Izak, how many days did you take for the entire walk from Madrid to Santiago? I want to do this route so badly but only have 33 days total. Did you go to Leon from Sahagun before heading north?

Hi Susanglori, we started walking on 8 April and arrived in Santiago on 20 May, a total of 43 days. The total distance is 860 km, which gives you an average of 20km per day. We had no time restriction and did not want to walk long daily distances but I am sure that for faster walkers it will be possible to complete this walk in 33 days. Distances for the various sections are as follows: Madrid to Sahagun 317 km, Sahagun to Leon 55 m, Leon to Oviedo 121 m, Oviedo to Santiago 367 km.
Yes, we went to Leon from Sahagun. If you have already walked the Frances, it could be a good idea to cut out this short section and take a train.
My wife and I rate this route one of the best we have walked and hope that you too will have the opportunity to enjoy it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Izak and Antoinette.
Great info. Thank you so very much. I am not aware of a guidebook. Is there one?

Thank you

Great info. Thank you so very much. I am not aware of a guidebook. Is there one?

Thank you
Marianne,

I have a guide called Camino de Madrid a Santiago de Compostela - Cartografia e itinerario Madrid - Sahagun which I obtained from Associacion de Amigos de los Caminos de Santiago de Madrid. I live in Australia and the person (in Madrid) I was emailing with was very helpful. It has maps, elevations and lots of information. It is in Spanish.

Cheers,
Wayne

Thank you

There is a guidebook from CSJ (the UK Confraternity of St James) which has been updated in the past few weeks. It is all I used for a recent trip and it covers everything you need, as far as Sahagun. Available for Kindle too.
https://www.csj.org.uk/product/camino-de-santiago-pilgrim-guides-camino-de-madrid-20172018/

BTW you have replied to a rather old thread! Nothing wrong with that.;) But you will find plenty of more recent discussion and information in the CdM forum here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Marianne we posted the above thread four years ago after completing the CdM. At the time we used the 2010 edition of the guidebook published by the UK Confraternity of St James. My wife and I will be walking this camino again starting on 4 April and although some of the information is still relevant, I decided to order the updated (2017/18) version of the guidebook from the Confraternity. It is available for £7 plus postage, alternatively on Kindle. Regards, Izak.

@ruimsig Just to say that the updated guide is VERY up to date. And highly recommended!! I walked May and November last year.
Worth noting the private accommodation in Manzanares El Real with Ray and Rosa (cf rayyrosa.com) which is detailed now in most recent update. Highly recommended: you need to ring up first.
And in December 2017 the Sisters sadly left the Poor Clares Convent in Medina de Rioseco, (after >520 years) so I imagine the albergue is closed, at least temporarily.
Buen Camino.

Hi timr thanks for the info. This time round we will probably give Manzanares a miss and walk from Colmenar Viejo to Mataelpino. I believe there is an albergue now which was not there when we walked in 2014. It is sad about the Poor Clares Convent in Medina, where we previously received a very warm and friendly welcome. Hopefully it will open again some day. Regards, Izak.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Marianne we posted the above thread four years ago after completing the CdM. At the time we used the 2010 edition of the guidebook published by the UK Confraternity of St James. My wife and I will be walking this camino again starting on 4 April and although some of the information is still relevant, I decided to order the updated (2017/18) version of the guidebook from the Confraternity. It is available for £7 plus postage, alternatively on Kindle. Regards, Izak.

I'll be 3 days behind you,ruimsig. Perhaps we will meet on the way..

It is quite possible! We have 7 weeks to walk the Madrid, portion of Frances and then the Invierno. What are your plans?

It is quite possible! We have 7 weeks to walk the Madrid, portion of Frances and then the Invierno. What are your plans?

Depending on how fit I feel after Sahagun I would like to repeat my Salvador/Primitivo or perhaps the Inglis/Finisterre/Muxia. I'm open to the universe.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back