• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good books of people's experiences on the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
I'm a few years out from doing the Camino (raising a teenager still (sigh). While I focus on the hear and now, I'd also like to read some books about other pilgrim's experience of doing the Camino (not necessarily guide books). Any recommendations?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jack Hitt's, Off The Road, was used as a reference for "The Way" movie. Shirley Maclaine's, Camino, and Coehlo's, The Pilgrimage, very interesting reads, both a bit sensational, yet so are the authors. Reading blogs and posts on this forum and others provide quite a bit of insight on the pilgrim experience.

I found Shirley McLaine's book was too weird, and I couldn't get through Coehlo. They didn't bear any resemblance to my subsequent caminos.

Here are 4 very different books that I enjoyed and can identify with:
  • Tony Kevin (Walking the Camino)
  • Joyce Rupp (Walk in a Relaxed Manner)
  • Jane Christmas (What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim)
  • Bill Bennett (The Way, My Way)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like to recommend Maclaine and Coehlo because their journeys seem as if they happened in a parallel universe. Gives we pilgrims a surreal vantage of the camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My vote is for Jack Hitt's "Off The Road." Some of the most enjoyable and memorable parts of 'The Way' come from this book.
And as for Maclaine's contribution to Camino literature - we need to expunge it from World literature, and therefore human conciousness, for all time.
Regards
Gerard

And as for Maclaine's contribution to Camino literature - we need to expunge it from World literature, and therefore human conciousness, for all time.
It was my first Camino book. Years later after I knew more, I wondered if maybe I had been too harsh in my opinion, so I went back and read it again to see if it was really so bad. It was!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Immotelle randonnée - Compostelle malgré moi " by Jean-Christophe Rufin is one I really enjoyed. It is in French and I am not sure that it has been translated. Camino del Norté

Last edited:
To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin Codd a catholic preist
Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino by Joyce Rupp my first book about the Camino
A Million Steps by Kurt Koontz
The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett
The Pilgrimage by Paul Coelho otherwordly fiction

Would second the recommendations for Kevin Codd and Bill Bennett (who was recommended to me). Before I went on Camino I read and re-read an Australian book called The Year we Seized the Day quite a few times. It was written by Colin Falconer and Elizabeth Best and they wrote alternating chapters detailing their experience walking. Have never read Shirley Maclaine and I've never disliked a book as much as Coehlo's The Pilgrimage - I didn't even finish it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a few years out from doing the Camino (raising a teenager still (sigh). While I focus on the hear and now, I'd also like to read some books about other pilgrim's experience of doing the Camino (not necessarily guide books). Any recommendations?
Be careful not to read or watch too much (especially Shirley MacLaine). You'll be setting yourself up with too many expectations. It's your journey that counts. But for more cultural information, I would suggest 'The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago's by Gitlitz & Davidson. It is a treasure trove of Saints' lives, art, architecture, geology and more.

€60,-
Agree wholeheartedly about Ms. Jackson's book. I put off reading it then thought I'd give it a try. Hours wasted that I'll never get back.
I'd like to recommend "Jesus: A Pilgrimage" by James Martin, SJ. Written from a priest's point of view and a good mix of Camino experiences, spiritual experiences, and cultural experiences.

Call Of The Camino – Robert Mullen
The Way My Way – Bill Bennett
A nice little novella: Candyfloss Guitar – Steve Marriott

Not a Camino de Santiago book, but a lovely book about a pilgrimage:
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry – Rachel Joyce

Shirley McLaine’s book was abandoned in an albergue, so I picked it up, read it, and left it at another albergue. It starts off sane enough, but then, like the Witches of Eastwick, it gets seriously weird.
Jill

Don't know why my phone came up with Jackson. I meant Machine.
Apologies if there was a book written by a Ms Jackson.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jack Hitt's, Off The Road, was used as a reference for "The Way" movie. Shirley Maclaine's, Camino, and Coehlo's, The Pilgrimage, very interesting reads, both a bit sensational, yet so are the authors. Reading blogs and posts on this forum and others provide quite a bit of insight on the pilgrim experience.
Shirley Maclaine's book is extreem weird.
In my opinion she was in a different world .
Wish you well ,Peter .

Be careful not to read or watch too much (especially Shirley MacLaine). You'll be setting yourself up with too many expectations. It's your journey that counts. But for more cultural information, I would suggest 'The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago's by Gitlitz & Davidson. It is a treasure trove of Saints' lives, art, architecture, geology and more.

Completely agree! Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would I be too pushy suggesting my own. It has received many excellent reviews and available in print or kindle. Titled 'Walk With The Sun Till Ur Shadow Disappears'

Be careful not to read or watch too much

I disagree (sorry!) :eek:
Read everything you can get your hands on :confused::D;)
There is a reason for the motto “Be Prepared” :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I disagree (sorry!) :eek:
Read everything you can get your hands on :confused::D;)
There is a reason for the motto “Be Prepared” :cool:
I go with reading everything you can and want to. That is a general rule of life!:cool:

...and be left with no surprises;)
Haha! You know that will never happen! The surprises are even greater when you think you are prepared. (And hopefully you'll be better able to cope with any negative surprises.):)

I really enjoyed many of the books mentioned. I also really liked "in movement there is peace" by Elaine foster and Joseph foster. Especially the chapters written by Elaine.

I love reading and watching anything I can about the Camino when not on a pilgrimage. Which sadly is most of the time, that and reading blogs can help bide the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I managed to read about one chapter of the Shirley MaClaine book, and that was all I could bear. Really, really bad literature.
The Paulo Coelho book was just plain strange. Mystical swords? Like I've described it before, sort of like The Hobbit meets The Way. I got through two chapters of it, realized it was pure acid trip BS and put it back down on the donativo table at the albergue where I found it. It looked unread, and now I know why. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
About 20 (?) years ago I read On Pilgrimage by Jini Fiennes. This was long before I had ever thought of doing a pilgrimage myself but her story stayed in my mind. I've just searched the bookshelves here in the den but can not find it so I am unable to say much about it except it moved me.

The one truly memorable book for me is Tony Kevin's Walking the Camino which is about the Mozarabe/VDLP/Sanabres. I had listened to it as an audiobook before I left but then started listening again on the Camino itself after I had been through the relevant places. The chapter on Salamanca, Franco and Unamuno really helped make sense of a lot that I saw in that area and especially later nearer to Galicia. Lovely book which given a real sense of the history and politics (which happens when you are a retired diplomat) and beautifully written.
Not a Camino book but one that gives a sense of Spain's history is Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past by Giles Tremlett. I'm still reading it but it is a very good read.

€60,-
I've downloaded a sample onto my Kindle. The sample should probably be enough.

Unfortunately the sample doesn’t tell you about the packs of wolves at Foncebadón, so you won’t know how to prepare for them, and what to do when you get there :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okay, now I want to read the Shirley MacLaine book just to see how bad it is! :p
You won't be disappointed . Her book was the first one I read on my trek to gather thoughts on the Camino it was by FAR one of the strangest,self centered accounts of the Camino I have come across. Kevin Cobb's was and still is at the top of my list.

About 20 (?) years ago I read On Pilgrimage by Jini Fiennes. This was long before I had ever thought of doing a pilgrimage myself but her story stayed in my mind. I've just searched the bookshelves here in the den but can not find it so I am unable to say much about it except it moved me.

I found a copy of this book in a second hand bookshop in London a few years back and it's been moving about my to-be-read pile for a while now. Happy to hear it's worth delving into.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay, now I want to read the Shirley MacLaine book just to see how bad it is! :p
I am in the camp of reading anything and everything and didn't find my reading impacted much if at all on my own experience. Some are funny, some are sad, some make you think, some are abominable. Horses for courses! Or donkeys: the funniest and gentlest I read was

Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey by Tim Moore. In the US it is titled, Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago.

I was on the CF with my 23 year old nephew last year, about which I could, but won't, write a book. He had read HaPe Kerkeling and could point out with relish along the way things that had happened to him in various places we went through. I was telling my nephew about Shirley Maclaine's book and suggested to him that you could open it at any page and you would find something "OMG" with an "eye roll". He was dubious. Until we got to the Peregrinoteca in Sarria, and gave it a try....... We felt obliged to buy the copy having passed a happy 20 minutes "trying it out" in the shop.:D

Unfortunately the sample doesn’t tell you about the packs of wolves at Foncebadón, so you won’t know how to prepare for them, and what to do when you get there :D
Wolves? Really? ha ha I didn't read that part.
Maybe carry a mystical sword like Coelho did so you can fight them off....:D

I suppose any non-embellished account or diary of someone walking a modern Camino would actually be quite dull to read for a second party. It's cool and exciting for the person doing the walking, but I don't think it translates well to paper (or digital?).
I mean how exciting and interesting is say a narrative of 30 days or so of waking up early, getting my pack ready, setting off, looking for a coffee shop, eating a few snacks or a breakfast, maybe getting rained on, stopping for a break somewhere, getting water at a fountain, saying "buen Camino" a bunch of times, chatting away with fellow pilgrims you befriended, find an albergue, check in, take a shower, take a nap, find dinner, go back to the albergue and chill out before bedtime, go to sleep and repeat in a few hours when you wake up.
I suppose the writers know this, and as they want to sell their books (nothing wrong with that) they decide they need to spice up the journey. A few domestic dogs yipping in the distance become packs of wolves. A fairly steep ascent up to someplace like O'Cebreiro becomes Hillary and Tenzing's trek up to the peak of Everest. A night sleeping in a communal albergue in a room with 30 other pilgrims becomes spending time in a maximum security lockdown in a prison. The list goes on.
Why let the truth get in the way of a good story? ha ha

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some are funny, some are sad, some make you think, some are abominable. Horses for courses! Or donkeys: the funniest and gentlest I read was

Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey by Tim Moore. In the US it is titled, Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago.

I laughed out loud the first 6 times I read this book (ok maybe the first 7) :D
My #1 favorite...Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago by Tim Moore
Also...What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim by Jane Christmas
And...Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp

Aarrrghhh! I hate this new technology. Maclaine!!!!!!:eek::mad:o_O
Don't worry, it happens to us all at one time or another...lol..lol :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maclaine was all I had read prior to camino. In Rabanal I was so terrified of walking through Foncebadon I contemplated other options. The morning of I was shaking with fear. Needless to say neither the pack of wild dogs nor Coehlo's mad dog crossed my path. Thank goodness Coehlo's book was read post camino, otherwise I might have bused from Astorga to Ponferrada.

One of the reasons for my OP. Reading is fine but be selective; not anything and everything. Pilgrims can find more than enough that can put ideas in their head and exacerbate what few concerns they may already have.....

There's a fellow here on the Forum who's been bombarded by cries to "Publish the that book, already, _____!"
He occasionally treats us to a story--always funny, sometimes poignant, and always wonderful.
I won't embarrass him by saying his name, but you'll know one of his threads when you see it, @aliciag56.
Braid a few of these together and you'd have a wonderful read.
Happy hunting.:cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes! Jennifer Lash was her pen name and it is the book that set me on my path toward the Camino many years later. She began in northern France but she did not walk due to her health.

Keith Foskett
The Journey in Between

I read this during my 2016 Camino. Very good writer.

Maclaine was all I had read prior to camino. In Rabanal I was so terrified of walking through Foncebadon I contemplated other options. The morning of I was shaking with fear. Needless to say neither the pack of wild dogs nor Coehlo's mad dog crossed my path. Thank goodness Coehlo's book was read post camino, otherwise I might have bused from Astorga to Ponferrada.
Damn, sorry to hear that and sorry to hear that embellished excrement put to paper affected your Camino in a negative way.
My only real dog encounters on the Frances were large ones that wanted to play with me. In one instance the big brute insisted I play fetch with him with a stick the size of a pee-wee baseball bat until it got dark outside the albergue. I was huffing and puffing when I finally quit. I couldn't convince him the object of the game was to give the stick back so I could throw it again. I had to chase him and wrestle with him every time to get it back, ha ha.

Would I be too pushy suggesting my own. It has received many excellent reviews and available in print or kindle. Titled 'Walk With The Sun Till Ur Shadow Disappears'
I've just finished reading this on my kindle. This is the first "religious" account of a Camino experience that didn't exasperate me as an agnostic. It portrayed the importance of Camino friendships extremely well. An explanation of the Irish word "craic" is required, though!!

This is not camino specific, but it's my favourite walking book (other than "Walking" by Thoreau)
In fact, it's not even set in Spain - try India! But it totally captures long distance walking. It is a very skinny book but is choc full of wonderful quotes to mull over.
"There Are Other Rivers" by Alastair Humphreys. Five stars. Don't miss it!

The Unlikley Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce is enjoyable.
Another interesting journey/pilgrimage book is "Chasing Francis" by Ian Morgan Cron

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OH my gosh yes! There were some crazy dogs in Foncebadon! An Italian friend I made wasn't a dog lover, I am, and along the way I was showing him he didn't have to be scared of dogs - but then the Foncebadon dogs happened! Wow, - amazing how one mention of something trivial creates a flood of memories! Thankyou!

I much enjoyed Camino Royale by Chris Showell. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a CofSJ's open days a few years back and duly bought his book and it was well worth reading.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
Alisa piper sinning across Spain! Loved it. Australia author .
I even highlighted things in it ( I never highlighted before)

Her book inspired me and I decided to walk with purpose this year... I raised ÂŁ830 for my charities... I wrote about it in my blog... the idea of carrying people's worries came from her book... I was surprised at the end of my walk how important those wishes had become... it was a moving experience for me. ( I wrote about it here https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/08/50-the-real-end/

And this is the walking with purpose link...
https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/walking-with-purpose/

A third must-red for Aisla Piper's Sinning Across Spain. Have just finished it and feel it has changed me a little :) I'll be walking the Frances as my first Camino in a few months and feel like a bit of a wuss now, I recently decided against the Norte off-season for safety reasons - but she walked 1,200kms in 40-odd days... A fabulous read.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My favourite author and the inspiration for my first Camino - (even though not about the Camino): "Journey Through Europe" by John Hillaby. About his walk from the Hook of Holland to the Mediterranean, all by footpaths and avoiding roads. He tented most of the way. A naturalist, philosopher, social observer, warm and funny.

I did not like Cohelo's book (The Alchemist was much better). Anyway, two good books, -
A Pair of Gringos: Walking across Spain on the Camino de Santiago, Living Our Bucket List Paperback –
by Molli & Tony Rathstone (Author)
and
-
I'm Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago Paperback – June 16, 2009
by Hape Kerkeling

two very good books, see my reviews on Amazon.

Please keep the recommendations coming! I am facing a hip replacement in 2017. Who knows if I'll be able to walk the Camino again, so I need lots of reading matter in the meantime....

Love a good Camino book. Agree with many of the recommendations above. Here's a few other titles:
My husband made me do it by Margaret Wilson
The day was made for walking by Noel Braun
No complaints: shut up and walk by Emmett Williams and Jasmyne Emmerick

Just finished, and greatly enjoyed A Pair of Gringos, mentioned above. Two comments: this couple were extremely fit and apparently health professionals. They walked huge distances and suffered for it. There is no need to do this! Go slowly, people! 20 Kms per day allows you to enjoy it and see more. Secondly, after Carrion de los Condes Molli suffered from a bad stomach problem. I, and many others, have had the same problem in this part of the Camino. There must be something in the water...

Not specifically about the Camino, but great reads nonetheless:

A Time of Gifts - Patrick Leigh Fermor
Between The Woods and the Water - Patrick Leigh Fermor

A couple of books about a walk he did in 1933 from Hook of Holland to Istanbul. Fermor was a fabulous writer and adventurist. He wrote the books some decades later with the knowledge that the world he is describing and most of the people that he met were destroyed a few years later.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I found Shirley McLaine's book was too weird, and I couldn't get through Coehlo. They didn't bear any resemblance to my subsequent caminos.

Here are 4 very different books that I enjoyed and can identify with:
  • Tony Kevin (Walking the Camino)
  • Joyce Rupp (Walk in a Relaxed Manner)
  • Jane Christmas (What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim)
  • Bill Bennett (The Way, My Way)
Hadn't read The Way, My Way. Downloaded it two nights ago and can hardly bear to put it down. Thanks to you and the others who recommended this great book.

I've just finished reading this on my kindle. This is the first "religious" account of a Camino experience that didn't exasperate me as an agnostic. It portrayed the importance of Camino friendships extremely well. An explanation of the Irish word "craic" is required, though!!
Margaret, 'craic' is hard to define for the non Irish. You see, there is good craic and bad craic. The craic can me mighty or it can be ninety. Basically, its the atmosphere, the fun or simply the craic when the Irish get together with each other or anyone else for that matter. Thanks for reading my book. It was never intended to be 'religious' and I dont think it actually is. I know I mention how my faith was strengthened but I tried to stay away from getting too deep as I know it is not everyones 'cup of tea' and I certainly had no intention of getting into the conversion business :). The idea of friendship as you spotted was more important to me and discovering how in my mid sixties I had an inner strength that kept me going. The freedom from the cares of the world was another reason why I found myself back again in 2015 and 2016

A new e book that I've enjoyed is "Neverlost4good on the Camino" by Rebecca Greeley. The author tells it as it is. For those readers who waver between sleeping in a private room or in a dorm, there is a good discussion of the pros and cons of both along the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've mentioned 'Three Caminos' by Giles Ryan (from Seattle) in a separate thread, so I'll say no more here.

I enjoyed Paulo Coelho's The Pilgrimage was thinking of digging it out and reading it again - I read it prior to walking in 2013.
Agree with everyone on Shirley MacLaine's book - so bad it was almost unreadable!

I really enjoyed reading the novel The Path by Malcolm McKay - i've read it a couple of times now.

After the recommendations on here i've just downloaded The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett - will probably start reading it tonight...

€83,-
I really liked the following books: Fumbling by Kerry Egan, I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and A Million Steps by Kurt Koontz. A new one is called I'll Push You" by Justin Skeesuck and Pareick Gray. It is also available in audio format for free on Hoopla and has recently been released as a documentary.
Ine funny and rarely mentioned book is "Travels With My Donkey One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago" by Tim Moore (very funny). Happy Reading! Janet

Some years ago I read that the all time worst ever movie was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, soo bad that it was good. Do any of you think that this may be the case with Shirley McClain's book? I notice that it is included on the suggested reading list for the New York Times Camino tour.

Last edited:

€60,-
I really enjoyed "Travels with my donkey" but I waited to read it until I'd completed my walk on the CF because I didn't want to think about / live other people's experiences until I'd had my own .

I loved Jean- Christophe Rufin's book " Immortelle Randonnee, Compostelle malgre moi. " his experiences walking the del Norte Camino. I don't think it's been translated from French to English yet.

(Apologies I can't do the French accents on this tablet)

I loved Jean- Christophe Rufin's book " Immortelle Randonnee, Compostelle malgre moi. " his experiences walking the del Norte Camino. I don't think it's been translated from French to English yet.

Ditto. I have the Dutch translation and love it. It seems it is available in English (click here) but don't know if the English translation is any good. The price is right, though...

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of any translatations.
I haven't walked the Norte but I did enjoy the author's writing. He's a very educated man but as he said, after 24hrs on the camino everyone is reduced to the same level and it doesn't matter what your position is back at home. So true!

€60,-
And since this thread of december 2016 is resurrected anyway, I really want to mention The Great Westward Walk by Antxon "Bolitx" Gonzalez Gabarain. As far as I'm concerned the camino book that hit home the hardest, with that feverishly majestic last chapter, that I still can't read without tearing up.

And since this thread of december 2016 is resurrected anyway, I really want to mention The Great Westward Walk by Antxon "Bolitx" Gonzalez Gabarain. As far as I'm concerned the camino book that hit home the hardest, with that feverishly majestic last chapter, that I still can't read without tearing up.
I've just started reading this and it is so beautifully written (and good job on the translation Rebecca!)

Any advice about how to get a copy of The Great Westward Walk if Amazon is not an option?

Ignore previous post. It’s in Ivar’s shop.:D

There's another by Eleyn Aviva but i can't remember the title. Loved Tim Moores... and I'm Off Then. Another brilliant read was 'Pilgrim Snail' by Ben Nimmo, he walks from the UK and does it with humour and aplomb...
'Cockleshells, Furs and Amber' has a section on the Camino, many have recommended 'Pilgrim Journeys' by Sally Welch but i haven't caught up with it yet. A book I have lost, but loved dearly - I cannot remember the title but it was about a family in the 1970-80s walking with their 3 children and 2 donkeys all over Europe including part of the Camino. My own offering is 'Oaky's Grand Tour' about how a dog coped with his feckless owners during the UK leg of their Camino...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just remember that the donkeys were Hannibal and Hasdrubal...

I remember (using the term lightly) the family. They used to buy sacks of rice and muesli and stuff from us, in another life, and still used their donkeys to get it up to their home somewhere on top of a mountain somewhere in the Pyrenees.

Oh bugger. I had things to do tonight and now I've got an attic full of books to rummage.

The great donkey walk? Read it years and years ago and loved it. Have to admit that I didn’t register they walked along the camino. The camino wasn’t even in my vocabulary let alone on my horizon at that time. I came to the book via Dervla Murphy who did several walks with donkeys but I don’t know if she ever walked or cycled the camino. Now I too would like to read The great donkey walk again.

Last edited:

€46,-
I was a bit hesitant to post this on an English forum, but as there are some Dutch and Belgian members I've decided to do it anyway. One of my favorite camino books is a Dutch one, written by Herman Vuijsje. In 'Pelgrim zonder god' (pilgrim without god) he describes his four-month pilgrimage undertaken in 1987. As an outspoken atheist and individualist he walked back, from Santiago to Amsterdam. Unfortunately never translated in English (I checked) but highly recommended, if you read Dutch.

I think as we have pilgrims of all nations then books in all languages should be welcome too...! Altho' sad to reflect that probably most Dutch people can read English, but few English people can read Dutch... (in fact I only know one!)
Dervla Murphy is a wonder of nature - a determined pilgrim through life who writes so, so well.... more books for Tincatinker to rummage for...!
'The Great Donkey Walk' - yes! Having just got rid of a good third of my library in the interest of living a less cluttered life (more time to peregrinate!) how annoying it is to realise I would reread books I have passed on.... Altho' if I zoom thru this post again there are a few I haven't read, perhaps I should find them first...!!!
How irritating it is to be in such an addicted state that if not ON pilgrimage - I need to be reading about it! Even when ON it, I read about it.. A lost case.....

I think as we have pilgrims of all nations then books in all languages should be welcome too...! Altho' sad to reflect that probably most Dutch people can read English, but few English people can read Dutch... (in fact I only know one!)
Dervla Murphy is a wonder of nature - a determined pilgrim through life who writes so, so well.... more books for Tincatinker to rummage for...!
'The Great Donkey Walk' - yes! Having just got rid of a good third of my library in the interest of living a less cluttered life (more time to peregrinate!) how annoying it is to realise I would reread books I have passed on.... Altho' if I zoom thru this post again there are a few I haven't read, perhaps I should find them first...!!!
How irritating it is to be in such an addicted state that if not ON pilgrimage - I need to be reading about it! Even when ON it, I read about it.. A lost case.....
I don't think you are alone with your addiction!
An almost daily read of this forum is a MUST for me and reading the occasional Camino book from time to time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I enjoyed Shirley's book but missed out the weird Atlantis chapters.
Good to see I'm not the only one who skipped that bit. It was just getting too weird!!

I don't think you are alone with your addiction!
An almost daily read of this forum is a MUST for me and reading the occasional Camino book from time to time.
And for myself as well.

The great donkey walk?
The Great Donkey Walk. Thats the one. Susan Chitty, the Chitty's. Like I said 'Shally', Sally'; well I knew it started with an 'S'.

Thank you @HedaP you've saved me another few hours in the attic. Though I did find Nicholas Cranes Clear Waters Rising where he walked some of the Camino in reverse on his way from Finisterre to the Golden Horne and Guy Arnold's In the Footsteps of George Borrow where he encounters and comments on the modern Camino in contrast to Borrow's somewhat blunt dismissal of all things related.

Ah, the vicarious joys of travel while sitting in a familiar, well worn, armchair.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mmm Crane's great too... and I think someone mentioned Paddy Leigh Fermor earlier - my favourite descriptive writer - you can learn more in one chapter than all the years of history at skool...!

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back