• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean/Pamplona February pilgrim numbers - anyone know?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
hi all - I am currently down on the Mediterranean coast of Spain, waiting for my house documentation to complete back in the UK. Weather is pretty nice, about 17C but up on Camino it is 10 or so less than this and lower at night, much lower at night.

As many of you know I do go to Camino a couple of times a year to offer first aid, etc ... will be out there in June, walking from Pamplona ...
so, here is the thing!

Is a bit dull you know, being a tourist, not my sort of thing at all (just how many times can one walk along a beach saying "oh, how pretty") - so I was wondering - do any of you know the pilgrim stats for St Jean and Pamplona for February, from about now onwards?

I haven't been on Camino this early before and wondered if there would be enough pilgrims on the Way to justify my going - I tend to keep Roncesvalles or Pamplona to Logrono as my 'beat' as it is the first six days that pilgrims, if they are going to have problems, tend to have problems.

Just a thought - I have all my first aid gear and trekking trailer in my ancient motorhome with me. Could wrap up warm, ditch the shorts :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi all - I am currently down on the Mediterranean coast of Spain, waiting for my house documentation to complete back in the UK. Weather is pretty nice, about 17C but up on Camino it is 10 or so less than this and lower at night, much lower at night.

As many of you know I do go to Camino a couple of times a year to offer first aid, etc ... will be out there in June, walking from Pamplona ...
so, here is the thing!

Is a bit dull you know, being a tourist, not my sort of thing at all (just how many times can one walk along a beach saying "oh, how pretty") - so I was wondering - do any of you know the pilgrim stats for St Jean and Pamplona for February, from about now onwards?

I haven't been on Camino this early before and wondered if there would be enough pilgrims on the Way to justify my going - I tend to keep Roncesvalles or Pamplona to Logrono as my 'beat' as it is the first six days that pilgrims, if they are going to have problems, tend to have problems.

Just a thought - I have all my first aid gear and trekking trailer in my ancient motorhome with me. Could wrap up warm, ditch the shorts :)
Hi David - Thank you for all that you do! - amazing -I know that I would appreciate seeing friendly eyes on the Way - I commence 2 March and will be solo - with the weather ....... nervous is the word that comes to mind .. whether you get there, or are there doesn't matter - your kindness is wonderful. Kind Regards Suz

Great idea, David!
If you want 'on the ground' impression, you could always get in touch with the folks at The Abbey.
I have to say that the time I started in early March from SJPP (in 2015), I was amazed at how many people were out there, most of whom were starting in Roncesvalles. Including lots of Korean kids on semester break from university, carrying way too much weight and suffering on account of that. If that's any indication, you'll have work to do...

so, here is the thing!

Hi David,
In january 2018 : 292 pilgrims started from SJPP.
From february 1th to 11th 112 pilgrims started from SJPP (46 Korean pilgrims).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi David,

You can see the January numbers here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/

As Ash Wednesday was relatively early this year, numbers should go up very soon. At the moment ~50 peregrin@s arriving in Santiago/day.

Buen Camino, SY

PS I hope to be off to walk from Astorga soon but perhaps we meet in Santiago during one of your travels? If you are near - give me a shout!

PPS If you are bored and the Camino is not busy enough for you, you could always ask @Rebekah Scott if she needs help with something ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks SY - will go up to Camino Monday and hang out a bit - will start with a Roncesvalles visit, I usually do.
Will be walking in June from Pamplona to Burgos with Jenny from Australia, providing first aid along the way.

I did try to meet up in Santiago - unexpectedly - last year by going to that bar you guys meet at but no one was there, and Ivar's was closed the two times I went there too - bit of a fail!! but may be in Santiago later this year after the walking.
I really like Astorga - was lucky to be there when they were having their annual Celt versus Romans festival - such fun!! Nothing like being served coffee and a pastry by a perfectly dressed Roman woman - Ave!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back