• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Camino Del Norte / Primitivo needed

Kclif

KClif
Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Camino Del Norte / Primitivo
All,

I am planning my Camino together with my son in June 2019 (a long way off I know).
I plan to walk the Norte / Primitivo then on to Santiago de Compostela.

Could people advise how many days I should allocate for this journey??

We do a fare amount of hill walking in the UK. Completed the peddars way and Norfolk coast path in 5 Days. And the Cotswold way again in 5days.
I think we would be aiming for around 160kms a week (including the odd zero day or short walk day).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Norte + Primitivo does not present a particularly difficult route for fit and experienced walkers. There is a bit more up and down than the Camino Frances...but really not a big difference.
I would expect that you would have no problem averaging 20-25 km per day with some longer and shorter days in the average.

First time pilgrims whose training and experience may be lacking could have some early challenges.....but the route is not difficult.

If you followed the "official" stages, it would take you 33 days starting from Irun (most of the stages are 20-25kms, but some are a bit longer/ shorter than this). You'd also have to factor in rest days and days of travel to/from the camino. To get an overview of stops and distances, check out the Gronze and Eroski websites (in Spanish, but there's a lot of helpful info about distances, elevations, and accommodation, for which no real language proficiency is needed). [Note: you'll need to 'link together' 3 caminos: the Norte, the Primitivo, and the Frances from Palas de Rei onwards]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All,

I am planning my Camino together with my son in June 2019 (a long way off I know).

We do a fare amount of hill walking in the UK. Completed the peddars way and Norfolk coast path in 5 Days. And the Cotswold way again in 5days.
I think we would be aiming for around 160kms a week (including the odd zero day or short walk day).

My daughter and I left Irun 2 September 2016 and arrived in Santiago Sunday morning September 25 for the Mass at the Cathedral. We took 2 days off (San Sebastian & Lugo) and skipped one stage on the Norte and one on Primitivo.
Bus from Santander to Oviedo.
Make sure you stay with the priest in Guemes. It's was a highlight

My daughter and I left Irun 2 September 2016 and arrived in Santiago Sunday morning September 25 for the Mass at the Cathedral. We took 2 days off (San Sebastian & Lugo) and skipped one stage on the Norte and one on Primitivo.

I thought, "that was quick!" but then saw that you caught the bus Santander-Oviedo. Given that this stretch takes about 10 days, I think the OP would have to set aside (minimum?) 35 days to do the whole thing comfortably.

Taking a bus from Santander to Oviedo is 9 stages by gronze's guide, Terry walked it as 11 stages.
The best way to calculate days needed is to make a rough plan of your own stages using any guide and adapting it. Decide the days needed, or count maximum kms per day and then count backwards from Santiago to give a start point or decide which stages to miss. Do remember not to miss any in the final 100kms if you want a Compostela.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All,

Where do you start. Irún to Santiago via Primitivo 33 days easy. Very doable

Thanks to all for your advice and ideas.
I plan to start at Irun.

Gronze.com is a really good guide to read. In nothing else it will provide you a template and you can adjust from there according to your available time and level of fitness.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.