• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Pamplona

ForrestUS

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Pamplona to Finisterre May 2018
Hello,
I will be arriving in St Jean Pied de Port on May 9th and will be staying the night. Are you then need to get to Pamplona where I and having a bike delivered to begin my Camino Quest on the 12th.
My question is I'm looking for suggestions for a mode of transportation from St Jean to Pamplona without walking the entire way as my knees will not hold up ( that is the reason I'm biking the comedo instead of walking) although a short walk would be ideal if it can be included someway.
Thanks
Forrest

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did something similar last year. I walked from SJPdP to Pamplona and picked up a bike to continue on the Camino to SdC. I have nerve damage in my right foot and thought riding would help me deal with the pain, much to my surprise I found cycling considerably more taxing than walking. I gave up with the bike in Burgos, took a couple of rest days to see if I could continue and finally rented a car to return the bike to SdC and then I went to Porto and walked the Coastal CP.
If you walk for a couple of days fom SJPdP to Zubiri, there are 2 buses a day to Pamplona from there.

Have you considered hitching? No joke. From SJPdP find the D933, or the route to Arneguy, where there is a large shopping center close to the old border where trucks/cars often stop for gas. Ask in the resto for a ride. Cars going to Spain usually take N145 which goes through Valcarlos and Roncesvalles, and eventually down to Zubiri. At Zubiri start to walk again straight along the flat camino path which follows the river into Pamplona.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The distances aren't that great, you could always walk so far and get a taxi, I think its about 1 Euro per km.

I would consider walking some of the Camino even with bad knees...maybe take a taxi to the Croix near the mountain pass and then hike over the mountains to Roncevaux and spend a night...otherwise Express Bourricot (www.expressbourricot.com) has a daily luggage delivery to Roncevaux that you could hire for a ride...but still consider spending a night in Roncenaux at least to participate in the Pilgrim Blessing...I did not feel like a real Pilgrim until I spent a night in Roncevaux away from the tourists and vacationers...then from Roncenaux there are taxis and buses to Pamplona.

Attachments

• LES PORTS DE CIZE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Roncevaux.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The OP, @ForrestUS, sent me a private message because for some reason this thread got locked for awhile. Here is my public reply to his questions.

The PLM Autocares bus that you were wondering about runs two days a week only, Tuesdays and Fridays (but not if a holiday.) Probably due to licensing issues it stops at three places only: Pamplona, Valcarlos and Arnéguy, Spain (or, using the Euskara (Basque) names, Iruña, Luzaide and Pekotxeta.)

The PLM homepage and Pamplona/Arnéguy schedule are at:
https://plmautocares.com/
https://plmautocares.com/Horarios_PLM.pdf

You could also walk to Valcarlos and then take a taxi to Roncevalles and then walk downhill towards Pamplona from there but some complain about what this does to their knees so you could instead take a cheap bus from Roncevalles to Zubiri. There isn't much tough from there to Pamplona.

The schedules for the other two bus lines good for pilgrims leaving from SJPdP are easier to understand on the pdf file found through this URL: https://tinyurl.com/2018-SJPdP-tourism-info

Ask the tourist office in SJPdP for things to do until walking to Valcarlos on Mondays or Thursdays.

I recommend you read this recent thread, it has links to maps, etc that will help you out at Valcarlos:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-auberge.53511/

At the map linked below you can see the Valcarlos' church and pharmacy (pharmacies in spain have green cross signs hanging outside them, often lit with green LEDs doing patterns. I'm told pharmacies are good places to find English speakers.) Across the road from the pharmacy is a marked bus stop, probably the one you need at 9:15 AM to go to Pamplona (ask the day before at the pharmacy.) Just north of the playground symbol and across the street you can see a building. The albergue is there. Take an outside stairway along the east end of the building down to the northeast corner to get to it.
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=43.091603,-1.301745&z=18&t=m

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Thank you greatly for the detailed response to my request. Though I have some tough decisions to make they will not be based on a lack of options thanks to the information you have all provided

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you considered hitching? No joke. From SJPdP find the D933, or the route to Arneguy, where there is a large shopping center close to the old border where trucks/cars often stop for gas. Ask in the resto for a ride. Cars going to Spain usually take N145 which goes through Valcarlos and Roncesvalles, and eventually down to Zubiri. At Zubiri start to walk again straight along the flat camino path which follows the river into Pamplona.

Good luck and Buen camino!
Mspath, you never cease to amaze me! Your replies are invariably spot on, without extraneous information. I love this one! For the OP, I could also suggest blablacar, but yours is by far the more direct.

Mspath, you never cease to amaze me! Your replies are invariably spot on, without extraneous information. I love this one! For the OP, I could also suggest blablacar, but yours is by far the more direct.
Sorry but I don't understand your response

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you walk from valcarlos to Roncevalles are you walking over the mountain pass?

If you walk from valcarlos to Roncevalles are you walking over the mountain pass?
Over "a" pass, but not the highest point of the Napolean Route. Valcarlos is the original route, since armies were not interested in a scenic route, but a direct route! The monument to Roldan (Roland) is just off the "highway."

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you say Croix is substantially more Scenic then valcarlos?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would consider walking some of the Camino even with bad knees...maybe take a taxi to the Croix near the mountain pass and then hike over the mountains to Roncevaux and spend a night...otherwise Express Bourricot (www.expressbourricot.com) has a daily luggage delivery to Roncevaux that you could hire for a ride...but still consider spending a night in Roncenaux at least to participate in the Pilgrim Blessing...I did not feel like a real Pilgrim until I spent a night in Roncevaux away from the tourists and vacationers...then from Roncenaux there are taxis and buses to Pamplona.
Hello earlier in this thread you mentioned to me the pilgrim blessing would you know what time that is?

Hello earlier in this thread you mentioned to me the pilgrim blessing would you know what time that is?

The Pilgrim Blessing was at the Colegiata de Roncesvalles cathedral...and the time on weekdays is 8:00 PM...and 6:00 PM or 7:00 PM on Saturday and Sunday...and in my opinion this is the best Pilgrim Mass except for the Pilgrim Mass in Santiago de Compostela...but check at the Tourist Office in Roncesvalles for the correct time of the Pilgrim Blessing when you arrive...or on the front door of the cathedral if you can read basic Spanish...Buen Camino.

"Roncesvalles is well known among pilgrims for the "Blessing of the pilgrim". It takes place, throughout the year at the end of the last Mass of the day. The Mass times in the Collegiate Church are, from Monday to Friday at 20.00 pm and on Saturdays and the days before bank holidays, at 18.00 hours (July to October, at 19.00 hours). On Sundays and bank holidays they celebrate Mass at 12.00 and 18.00 hours (from July to October at 19.00)."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back