• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Commencing Vezelay Mid April

Risky

Member, Brisbane Australia.
Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin d'Arles / Frances 2023
Frances 2024/2025
G'day, I am planning to walk from Vezelay to Saint Jean Pied de Port commencing around the 15th of April and I was just wondering if anyone knows how busy the route is at this time of year. Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked it in 2016, late april and may, and it was very quiet and solitary. You'll meet the odd pilgrim but don't count on it. Enjoy, and bon chemin!

Last edited:
Easter falls on April 1 in 2018, so you're well after that. The best chance to encounter others will be on the weekends, I should think, especially the May 1 and May 8 holiday weekends. Other than that, you'll have yourself for company, I think.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked it in 2016, late april and may, and it was very quiet and solitairy. You'll meet the odd pilgrim but don't count on it. Enjoy, and bon chemin!
This route is becoming more popular. When I was a hospitalière in Sorges in september '14 we were full every night. I walked the Voie de Vézelay in April 2011 and found quite a few pilgrims en route. It all depends! That's the fun of it; you never know!

We found it very quiet. Over a two week period encountered about 4 pilgrims while walking. Maybe 10 in total counting those in the gites.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your prompt replies.

I have been reading through as much as I can, from the forum, for details on the number of Pilgrims walking the Vezelay route and looking at the statistics for those arriving in SdC from Vezelay the numbers look really low......

I normally walk with my wife but, due to family needs, this time I will be walking without her. I had been thinking of walking from Le Puy again, or an alternate from Tours or Vezelay, as we loved walking through France last year. The Vezelay route looks beautiful and it looks like a really good way so maybe Vezelay is meant to be.

It's just that my wife and I have been inseparable for over 30 years and I am a bit of a social being so I am a bit concerned it may be too isolated ......... that said, maybe it would be good for me ....... :) I plan to walk on to SdC so there will be plenty of pilgrims on the Frances.

Probably over thinking it. Thanks once again.

I have been reading through as much as I can, from the forum, for details on the number of Pilgrims walking the Vezelay route and looking at the statistics for those arriving in SdC from Vezelay the numbers look really low......

I normally walk with my wife but, due to family needs, this time I will be walking without her. I had been thinking of walking from Le Puy again, or an alternate from Tours or Vezelay, as we loved walking through France last year. The Vezelay route looks beautiful and it looks like a really good way so maybe Vezelay is meant to be.

It's just that my wife and I have been inseparable for over 30 years and I am a bit of a social being so I am a bit concerned it may be too isolated ......... that said, maybe it would be good for me ....... :) I plan to walk on to SdC so there will be plenty of pilgrims on the Frances.

We are hoping to walk from Vezelay to La Souteraine but probably a bit later than you. We may start around the beginning of May. I imagine we will be well behind you on this Camino. I am glad you asked this question as I was wondering how busy it would be too?

Started from Vézelay 26th of August 2017.
I think I have met roughly 12 pilgrims between Vézelay and St-Jean-Pied-de-Port...
But I made a lot of nice encounters with the local people!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

PS: There is a pilgrim "book" in the church of la Souterraine, the stats where roughly 1000 pilgrims for 2016, and the prognostics for 2017 were roughly the same.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Jaques-D.

I imagine the "book" was signed by passing Pilgrims so it should be a good reference. This is a lot more pilgrims than showing in the Oficina del Peregrino annual statistics for 2016 which has only 194 starting in Vezelay.

I wonder what causes such anomalies? Maybe there are a lot of holiday walkers who don't go on to SdC or maybe people who go on to walk the Frances (or other Camino) only note the Spanish Camino when they get to SdC. Anyway, it is all good.

I am really looking forward to getting to Vezelay and walking again. :)

G'day Kitsambler,

Yes. We have Swiss friends so Geneva to Le Puy would be good but I am trying to link up routes to walk the Frances. I have set myself to walk the Vezelay route and I am looking forward to the opportunity.

Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just want to let you know that the Vezelay route has two places that still shine exceptionally bright in my memories and therefore come highly recommended IMHO. The first one is L'Esprit du Chemin in Le Chemin, 25 km after Vezelay on the Nevers variant. Arno & Huberta who run it are legends.

The second one is the Moulin de Piis just after La Réole. It is an old watermill (renovated by local craftsmen) and a dreamlike location to spend the night. But remember to bring your own food and drinks if you sleep there. Small kitchen is available.

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Just want to let you know that the Vezelay route has two places that still shine exceptionally bright in my memories and therefore come highly recommended IMHO. The first one is L'Esprit du Chemin in Le Chemin, 25 km after Vezelay on the Nevers variant. Arno & Huberta who run it are legends.

The second one is the Moulin de Piis just after La Réole. It is an old watermill (renovated by local craftsmen) and a dreamlike location to spend the night. But remember to bring your own food and drinks if you sleep there. Small kitchen is available.

Bon chemin!
Thank you for this information, Purky. This is exactly the type of thing I want to know as we hope to be walking it in May this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want/need more info, let me know...
Thank you!! I probably will once we start planning it a bit more. We usually don't like to walk much more than 20km so I am hoping there will not be too many really long stretches without accommodation. We are only going as far as La Souterraine this year (maybe finish it next year).

G'day Purky, thanks for the heads up.

I have done some stage planning using the Dutch Association route and accommodation guides and I am waiting for a copy of the 2018 Miam Miam Dodo to arrive to cross reference. I am definitely planning for the L' Esprit de Chemin and I also have Moulin de Piis in Bassanne, in at this stage. That said, once we start walking I always try to go with the flow, talking to fellow pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals to understand route and accommodation options.

G'day Lucy Longpath, you can go to the link below which has the Dutch association guides for the Vezelay route.

https://www.santiago.nl/english/vezelay-main-page.

Thanks and Cheers, Bon Chemin

Last edited:
If I do the Vezelay route, i'll deffo stay at the Esprit du chemin... I am still in two minds about it....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Risky , walked from Vezelay intending to stop at St Jean , and ended up doing the whole , 1600Km about
took me 77 days and i'm a slow walker , it's three millions steps

Hi Risky , walked from Vezelay intending to stop at St Jean , and ended up doing the whole , 1600Km about
took me 77 days and i'm a slow walker , it's three millions steps
G'day jeannick, yes I intend walking on to SdC and have allowed some 75 days including 5 rest days (?).........one of those rest days is planned in SJPdP to buy replacement shoes as they seem to wear out after about 900 to 1000 kms. Last year I replaced my shoes at Oviedo after walking Le Puy and then GR10 to Norte and the year before in SdC after walking the VDLP.

3 million steps...........sounds daunting. Luckily it's only one step at a time. :)

Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
G'day Purky, thanks for the heads up.

I have done some stage planning using the Dutch Association route and accommodation guides and I am waiting for a copy of the 2018 Miam Miam Dodo to arrive to cross reference. I am definitely planning for the L' Esprit de Chemin and I also have Moulin de Piis in Bassanne, in at this stage. That said, once we start walking I always try to go with the flow, talking to fellow pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals to understand route and accommodation options.

G'day Lucy Longpath, you can go to the link below which has the Dutch association guides for the Vezelay route.

https://www.santiago.nl/english/vezelay-main-page.

Thanks and Cheers, Bon Chemin
Thank you Risky, I was thinking of ordering the Dutch guides and have now downloaded them from the link you have sent. We also have Miam Miam Dodo (although I am not sure if it is 2018 or not).

I've loved the Vezelay route , there were not many pilgrims and that was fine for me ,
I wanted a walkabout , it was autumn and the forest were glorious and there was very little climbing
it's a lovely part of France , very genuine , it cross a lot of rivers and woods
the pilgrims were usually French ,Germans ,Dutch Swiss and Belgians , most were experienced walkers

there are often Aussies on the Camino Frances

Hi Risky,
I will do about a week's hiking from Vezelay (or rather from Avallon via Vezelay) on the Southern route via Never the week before Easter this year.
Ask me if you want to have a recent update for that route ;)
bye, Claudia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi Risky, we are starting on 18th April. It must be becoming more popular as there is now a Miam Miam DoDo and a Dutch English Guide
Mick53

Hi Mick53,

Not sure there are that many walking yet but I expect that the publishing of Miam Miam Dodo for the way will increase numbers over the next few years.

Also, I've just seen a post showing potential train strikes throughout April so you never know we might be walking from Paris ;-) Link to article follows. Hopefully more detail will be available as things progress ?

Rail Strike Article

Regards, Risky

Hi Mick53,

Not sure there are that many walking yet but I expect that the publishing of Miam Miam Dodo for the way will increase numbers over the next few years.

Also, I've just seen a post showing potential train strikes throughout April so you never know we might be walking from Paris ;-) Link to article follows. Hopefully more detail will be available as things progress ?

Rail Strike Article

Regards, Risky

Just in case train transportation goes out the window because of strikes, consider using Blablacar for the ride from Paris to Vezelay as a back-up plan.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the heads up Purky.........I have just created an alert within Blablacar for the trip :)

Hi Risky,
I will do about a week's hiking from Vezelay (or rather from Avallon via Vezelay) on the Southern route via Never the week before Easter this year.
Ask me if you want to have a recent update for that route ;)
bye, Claudia

Hope you had a good trip. Tell us about it, esp. accommodation/food. Did you meet many other walkers?

We are planning to start walking from Sermicelles to Vezelay on 5th May, and then walk on the Nevers route. We are looking forward to staying at L'Esprit du Chemin on May 8th. Any information about accommodation on the Nevers route would be gratefully received.

Hi Lucy, I am in Vezelay and stayed at the Centre Saint Magdeleine. It is good. I start for le espirit today. I'll give you an update in a week. Regards, Kenton

Hello... I just wanted to give a recommendation for Saint Astier :) I live just a few kilometres from the route and Saint Astier is my nearest small town... they have a great market every Thursday morning... your schedule is probably already set but if there is a chance for flexibility I can recommend a visit. Perigueux is beautiful too.

I would offer to meet you as you walk through but I leave for Spain tomorrow... but have a great walk!

Hi Lucy, I am in Vezelay and stayed at the Centre Saint Magdeleine. It is good. I start for le espirit today. I'll give you an update in a week. Regards, Kenton
Thank you, that would be much appreciated. We are doing some booking in advance because of the two holiday days coming up on 8th and 10th May and the bridge, as it is referred to in France, around those dates (when people have holidays attached to those dates and a lot of accommodation is booked). I don't know whether those days and the other day later in May (21st I think) will be an issue, but it did cause some panics with bookings on Le Chemin du Puy when we were there in 2016. There are about 4 bank holidays in May in France. We will just miss the first one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello... I just wanted to give a recommendation for Saint Astier :) I live just a few kilometres from the route and Saint Astier is my nearest small town... they have a great market every Thursday morning... your schedule is probably already set but if there is a chance for flexibility I can recommend a visit. Perigueux is beautiful too.

I would offer to meet you as you walk through but I leave for Spain tomorrow... but have a great walk!

Hi Les, thank you for the recommendation, although I guess you may be talking to Risky rather than me. We are only walking as far as either Crozant or possibly La Souteraine this year. However, we might complete the walk another year so will send you a message to see if you are around when we do it. Have a good time in Spain!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back