• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting location in Geneva?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Can anyone tell me where the starting location is on Geneva? Thanks for any information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We ended at St. Pierre's Cathedral a couple of years ago and got our last stamp there, so I would think it would be a starting point heading west to France. When we return we will begin again at the Cathedral.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too stopped one year and started the next at the Protestant Cathedral of St Pierre. It lies directly on the Via Jacobi route, so signage is helpful. The sales clerk has the credential stamp, but I did not see blank credentials on offer. It's about a 1 km walk from the main train station, across the lake and through a lovely restaurant area.

I started in front of the UN with the rows of country flags flapping behind me, then got my stamp at the visitor info centre as I could find no one in the cathedral near the train station for a stamp.
Bon chemin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started in front of the UN with the rows of country flags flapping behind me, then got my stamp at the visitor info centre as I could find no one in the cathedral near the train station for a stamp.

That's 'just' a church (Notre-Dame), not a cathedral, of which there is only one per diocese. The cathedral of Geneva, as @Kitsambler, said, is St. Pierre and is on the other side of the river in the old city.

That's 'just' a church
There is no special benefit to a cathedral stamp. Find a place to get stamped, where ever it is you are starting: church, cathedral, tourism office, hotel, restaurant, even a hardware store -- it matters not!

I started at the Geneva airport.
I walked the 9km to the old city where I stayed the first night at Home Saint-Pierre. I got my first stamp there having brought a Pilgrim Passport with me. About Home Saint-Pierre...it was okay. Girls in a bunk room, bathroom in the basement. Kitchen if you want to cook but the kitchen was in the same room where you sleep (definitely not my preference).
Home Saint-Pierre is directly across from the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre. Very convenient and got another stamp in my passport. Followed the signage out of town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started at the Geneva airport.
I walked the 9km to the old city where I stayed the first night at Home Saint-Pierre. I got my first stamp there having brought a Pilgrim Passport with me. About Home Saint-Pierre...it was okay. Girls in a bunk room, bathroom in the basement. Kitchen if you want to cook but the kitchen was in the same room where you sleep (definitely not my preference).
Home Saint-Pierre is directly across from the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre. Very convenient and got another stamp in my passport. Followed the signage out of town.
Did you book ahead ... Was it expensive?

Did you book ahead ... Was it expensive?
For your March departure date, I would contact them ahead, not so much for fear of a full house but rather to make sure they are open. And it will certainly be less expensive than almost any other lodging in Geneva (I'm assuming they have a youth Hostel somewhere).

And it will certainly be less expensive than almost any other lodging in Geneva (I'm assuming they have a youth Hostel somewhere).

They do, Hostel Genève in the Pâquis. As you might expect, Swiss hostel prices are outrageous (CHF38 for a dorm bed, CHF100 for a private room), but I suppose in line with the general cost of living.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I booked Home Saint-Pierre in advance. In the Summer of 2015 the cost was 33€; very convenient location.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only starting points as such on a Camino would be either your front door, or the altar of your Catholic Parish -- apart from those possibilities, you really can start wherever you like.

But if you wanted to at least emulate that in Geneva, then either from the airport or bus/train station or your hotel/hostel front door from a church in Geneva, maybe the Basilica ( https://www.eglisecatholique-ge.ch/messes-paroisses/paroisses/paroisse-de-notre-dame/ ) or from the English-speaking church there ( https://www.eglisecatholique-ge.ch/messes-paroisses/paroisses/communaute-anglophone/ ) ?

That's 'just' a church (Notre-Dame), not a cathedral, of which there is only one per diocese. The cathedral of Geneva, as @Kitsambler, said, is St. Pierre and is on the other side of the river in the old city.

True, I got a stamp in both when I started from Geneva in 2015. I stayed at the Geneva Hostel which was fine. Was E25 then.

Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I have tried for some time without success to find information online about accommodation along the Via Gebennensis. The 'Online Guide' offered by this website doesn't cover this route...
Hi All I will walk from Geneva to St. Jean Pied de Port in late August. But I want to concentrate on the route from Geneva to Le Puy first. I have never walked in France; unfortunately, I do not...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back