Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I mad to walk the Primitivo alone in March? ( 1 week to go – a moment of panic )

Orlagh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (March-April 2018)
Camino Portugues (2003)
Hi Everyone,

I arrive to Oviedo in a week's time, March 26th. After reading a few more threads, I'm starting to get a little concerned .... that the hostels may not be open at this time ... the weather will be awful ... there won't be anyone around....

I am also very excited at the same time but think some caution may be wise.

What are your thoughts? Am I mad or adventurous? Physically I should be OK although it will be tough, I expect to walk alone and rain, maybe snow ... just wondering if any of you know a little more about this time of year and conditions?

Thanking you for the feedback!

Orlagh

a18177c4-ae09-46d6-8bc4-b50471edcd55.jpg
PS. sewing on a patch to my backpack now, kept from the last walk 15 years ago. A different lifetime ago.

Attachments

• a18177c4-ae09-46d6-8bc4-b50471edcd55.jpg
    a18177c4-ae09-46d6-8bc4-b50471edcd55.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Orlagh, you’re embarking on a brave and exciting journey. Take it a day at a time and ask for advice at each stop about what lies ahead. If you can, I’d suggest staying in the Grado albergue on your first day (after Oviedo) to meet other pilgrims and feel that sense of community and support.

The Primitivo is beautiful - I’d walk it again in a heartbeat!

Buen Camino and feel free to send me a PM if you’ve any questions. Nuala.

Weather forecast in the Oviedo region next week is sunny and 17°C! That is meant to last for a few days, except for "a little rain in the afternoon" on some days. You should be fine :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Orlagh, you’re embarking on a brave and exciting journey. Take it a day at a time and ask for advice at each stop about what lies ahead. If you can, I’d suggest staying in the Grado albergue on your first day (after Oviedo) to meet other pilgrims and feel that sense of community and support.

Thanks for the solid advice Nuala, much appreciated. :)

Weather forecast in the Oviedo region next week is sunny and 17°C! That is meant to last for a few days, except for "a little rain in the afternoon" on some days. You should be fine :)
That's practically tropical Jan! Good to know and be reminded to use a more accurate app than my default apple one. :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's practically tropical Jan! Good to know and be reminded to use a more accurate app than my default apple one. :cool:

Yip from where I sit in Scotland that's positively sweltering!! ;)

p.s. I'm actually heading to Spain this afternoon; was planning on walking a stretch of the Norte but you've inspired me to consider the Primitivo instead!

Yip from where I sit in Scotland that's positively sweltering!! ;)

p.s. I'm actually heading to Spain this afternoon; was planning on walking a stretch of the Norte but you've inspired me to consider the Primitivo instead!

Oh wow! nice one. From what I can see, the Primitivo is more of a physical challenge with heritage bonus points.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albergue in Grado is a great place to stop for the night. You will be well looked after and there will be other pilgrims walking with you next morning. The network of Albergues is well developed and you can always call ahead for road and weather conditions. A few nights ago they had 11 pilgrims and each day there are 3 to 5 staying there. I think you will be just fine. Buen Camino!

Albergue in Grado is a great place to stop for the night. You will be well looked after and there will be other pilgrims walking with you next morning. The network of Albergues is well developed and you can always call ahead for road and weather conditions. A few nights ago they had 11 pilgrims and each day there are 3 to 5 staying there. I think you will be just fine. Buen Camino!

Thats a reassuring solid report there Ingrid. Thanks for the cheerleading!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Everyone,

I arrive to Oviedo in a week's time, March 26th. After reading a few more threads, I'm starting to get a little concerned .... that the hostels may not be open at this time ... the weather will be awful ... there won't be anyone around....

I am also very excited at the same time but think some caution may be wise.

What are your thoughts? Am I mad or adventurous? Physically I should be OK although it will be tough, I expect to walk alone and rain, maybe snow ... just wondering if any of you know a little more about this time of year and conditions?

Thanking you for the feedback!

Orlagh

View attachment 40355
PS. sewing on a patch to my backpack now, kept from the last walk 15 years ago. A different lifetime ago.
Orlagh, your stitching is impeccable! And you knew where to look, after !5 years! Buen camino. And be sure to contact those who offered to be ready if you need help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Orlagh, your stitching is impeccable! And you knew where to look, after !5 years! Buen camino. And be sure to contact those who offered to be ready if you need help.
Thanks for the compliment Kirkie! Strange but I didn't even have to look for that patch as it's precious to me.

The primitivo my favorite Camino. Love ups down mountains not tough if you in condition. I am nearly 70 yrs young and 35 to 40 km a day normal for me. My average on Norte from Iran to Santiago via primitivo was 29.78 km a day no rest days buen Camino all

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s day two here and the weather so far is holding up much better than the dire rain predictions. Fingers crossed! Yesterday quite hot; sunburnt left arm. About 7 of us moving through the route now. Mostly English speaking luckily. With about 3 more again spotted at a different pace. My body adjusting to the food, bag load and distances. Mentally preparing for the bigger climbs ahead... carrying the little stones in hand to reflect on questions and wishes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi All - A follow up

I returned home to Ireland last night. Totally delighted to have completed the Primitivo. The weather was awful: both mud, rain, snow and chilly days. The views and spirit on this route are stunning. It was a physical challenge to complete the continuous ups and downs. The albergues were quiet but I met about 14 fantastic people from so many corners of the world ...

To my surprise, two sticks were definitely needed, mainly for the steep downhills and the raging torrent crossings.

A sleeping bag also a must, supplemented with hostel blankets. Waterproof hiking boots were essential this March. Although I heard that that 12months earlier there was a heatwave. So being close to weather reports is obviously important.

Cushioned socks make a big difference. I didn't use a poncho, but had waterproof legs and coat which didn't flap in the wind.

My learning ( among many ) was to start early to walk slowly and steadliy – and for this camino – to plan snacks and food as there are plenty of stretches without bars/cafes. Also, vaselining feet in the morning is essential, as aswell as stretching before and after walking.

I used the handbook which was great. For albergue selection however, the app is better, as it has up-to-date comments from users.

Pilgrims were very generous with their medical supplies: I received anti-inflammatories, KT tape, pain killers, sterile saline solution and arnica cream. I bought gauze and tape and band aids from the farmacia as well. These will all be in my kit next time.

This was one of the best experiences of my life, and a real achievement.

Thanks to this forum for assisting with packing, planning and general encouragement.

diary: www.instagram.com/orlaghob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All - A follow up

I returned home to Ireland last night. Totally delighted to have completed the Primitivo. The weather was awful: both mud, rain, snow and chilly days. The views and spirit on this route are stunning. It was a physical challenge to complete the continuous ups and downs. The albergues were quiet but I met about 14 fantastic people from so many corners of the world ...

To my surprise, two sticks were definitely needed, mainly for the steep downhills and the raging torrent crossings.

A sleeping bag also a must, supplemented with hostel blankets. Waterproof hiking boots were essential this March. Although I heard that that 12months earlier there was a heatwave. So being close to weather reports is obviously important.

Cushioned socks make a big difference. I didn't use a poncho, but had waterproof legs and coat which didn't flap in the wind.

My learning ( among many ) was to start early to walk slowly and steadliy – and for this camino – to plan snacks and food as there are plenty of stretches without bars/cafes. Also, vaselining feet in the morning is essential, as aswell as stretching before and after walking.

I used the handbook which was great. For albergue selection however, the app is better, as it has up-to-date comments from users.

Pilgrims were very generous with their medical supplies: I received anti-inflammatories, KT tape, pain killers, sterile saline solution and arnica cream. I bought gauze and tape and band aids from the farmacia as well. These will all be in my kit next time.

Thanks to this forum for assisting with packing, planning and general encouragement.

Thank you for your detailed report. Kudos on such a great accomplishment in such inclement weather!
I walked the Primitivo in May 2016 and temps were great with only a few days of moderate, intermittent rain.

I leave solo from Irun on May 8 and hope to walk all the way
Hi Brianne, me too starting from Irun on the 8 of May, hopefully I will find my hired bicycle waiting for me at the pension, hope to see you

Hi All - A follow up

Looks/sounds like an amazing journey. Thanks for sharing.

After walking the Frances last fall, I thought a lot about doing the primitivo next. Seeing this tread have sparked life into these thoughts again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi All - A follow up

WOW! I enjoyed looking at your photos on instagram. I'm going on Primitivo in a few days, end of April, and these last days all I can hear is about rain and mud all over the Primitivo, so frankly, I was very concerned about my decision to take a Primitivo route. But looking at your photos and reading your words - calmed my heart down and now I can't wait to start my journey. I know that Primitivo is only choice for me - for this year - because it's written all over my heart. Thank you for sharing... your post is exactly what I needed!

Our Camino de Levante in 2013, was great, mostly fine weather, but we took Sea to Summit nylon Tarp Ponchos for the inclemency. These do not have arms and I found I needed help to get mine over my rucksack, and I needed to rotate the poncho many times a day to get the hood in the right orientation, so I could see! I was not happy with the way this poncho rotated about me while I walked (a couple of drizzly days in Galicia) We were kept dry though. We bought umbrellas in Santiago for the drizzle there in mid September. For our next effort, (Primitivo - May 2019) I will take a pair of Marmot rain trousers and a waterproof breathable jacket https://tinyurl.com/y8x4jzrn - (See my pic) and a pack cover. Will that be enough for the Galician torrents in May?

WOW! I enjoyed looking at your photos on instagram. I'm going on Primitivo in a few days, end of April, and these last days all I can hear is about rain and mud all over the Primitivo, so frankly, I was very concerned about my decision to take a Primitivo route. But looking at your photos and reading your words - calmed my heart down and now I can't wait to start my journey. I know that Primitivo is only choice for me - for this year - because it's written all over my heart. Thank you for sharing... your post is exactly what I needed!
Enjoy your Camino marina!! I’m sure the mud will have dried out a bit and a lot more sunny days for you. It’s so gorgeous you’ll love it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back