• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal list of 2018 hostales/ pensiones Ingles

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
I'm back from five days on the Camino Ingles and I chose private lodgings this time for different reasons.
I really did not want to rush to secure a bed in the albergue ( I heard that in Pontedeume that night there were 18 pilgrims, biggest part were two larger groups of Spanish pilgrims ). And because it would only be my only Camino this year I was able to splurge in a bit of luxury.
It was a very wet and very muddy Camino but I guess I cannot complain seeing the horrid conditions in Navarra and Aragon ( especially for the people around Zaragoza ).
The private places ment also that there was heating and I could hang my wet clothes on hangers.

So Ferrol : booked through the website Booking.com . Hostal Cairo , a single room with private bathroom , on the 4th floor but seeing you will start a Camino some stairs are not an issue surely..... Cost of 23 € . In Calle Dolores , city centre, parallel to Calle Real where the Camino is. I arrived in the afternoon so I walked to the Zero marker and could start from my hostal the next day and could shorten the etapa with 1.5 k.
Lots of breakfast choices in that barrio.
I did never leave before 8 am anyway.

Pontedeume : Bar Luis , they now not only have the place above their restaurant but also some other rooms across the square in a private house. Very safe and hygienic. I got a double room for 15 €...still the same price as four years ago. Don't know how they survive on these prices. I guess their main income is from their restaurant that is always full with people who appreciate the rustic and homemade food.
I mailed them a week before to get a reservation. They did not need any personal information.
Some good breakfast places around there too.

Betanzos : you have some budgetplaces but I did not want to go there ( seeing the very rudimentary settings and in a not so nice street )so then you only can go to Garelos or Vila de Betanzos.
This time I chose Vila de Betanzos. Both these hotels were not available this time on Booking.com so I mailed them. At 42 € it was the most expensive night. ( Garelos would have been 47 € ).
Vila de Betanzos : clean and warm ( even too warm before I worked out the central heating /airco ), lovely lady at reception. Building itself is a bit of a strange construction not much charm at all. But again warm and with a bath : lovely after that horrid climb out of Pontedeume that morning.
Overpriced though and Betanzos could do with a bit more competition in the hotelarea.
I can strongly recommend Churreria Amy when you are out of the old centre of Betanzos , after the rondabout. Not only churros but also pan tostada. And much friendlier people than a certain bar in the centre...Ah well...

Then Meson do Vento :Meson Novo with Antonio and his caring parents who run the cafeteria.
A big room I had, nothing is too much for the owners indeed. The bathroom is very compact but it has everything one need.
Breakfast included for 32 €.
The village is one big street but has two small tiendas, another cafeteria than the one of the hostal, ATM. And across the street is another hotel ( Canaima ) that serves food.
But the mother will make you some tapas on request. Mailed owners two weeks before the start.

Then my personal hightlight : SigueiroHostel ( the former owners of Miras hostal ) opened this state of the art bed&breakfast.
Rainshower , a toiletrybag with all kind of useful products, a bottle of water and free breakfast : 30 €.
For me it was extra special because it were these owners that helped me out four years ago when I became ill and had to go to hospital. They even called in the taxidriver that drove me there. What an emotional encounter that was!
So generous!! Even if they own a commercial enterprise they have a donativo heart!!
Called them day before to inform availability.

Here is the link!
And oh the mum cooks really good!! Evening and morning full of locals!! Always a good sign.
Next to Rio Tambre ..gorgeous terrace when weather allows you to sit outside.
http://sigueirohostel.com/galeria/

Hope this list can be of some help !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for posting this. I'm planning to do the Ingles in July and reports from the ground like this are always interesting to read.

I'm back from five days on the Camino Ingles and I chose private lodgings this time for different reasons.
I really did not want to rush to secure a bed in the albergue ( I heard that in Pontedeume that night there were 18 pilgrims, biggest part were two larger groups of Spanish pilgrims ). And because it would only be my only Camino this year I was able to splurge in a bit of luxury.
It was a very wet and very muddy Camino but I guess I cannot complain seeing the horrid conditions in Navarra and Aragon ( especially for the people around Zaragoza ).
The private places ment also that there was heating and I could hang my wet clothes on hangers.

So Ferrol : booked through the website Booking.com . Hostal Cairo , a single room with private bathroom , on the 4th floor but seeing you will start a Camino some stairs are not an issue surely..... Cost of 23 € . In Calle Dolores , city centre, parallel to Calle Real where the Camino is. I arrived in the afternoon so I walked to the Zero marker and could start from my hostal the next day and could shorten the etapa with 1.5 k.

Pontedeume : Bar Luis , they now not only have the place above their restaurant but also some other rooms across the square in a private house. Very safe and hygienic. I got a double room for 15 €...still the same price as four years ago. Don't know how they survive on these prices. I guess their main income is from their restaurant that is always full with people who appreciate the rustic and homemade food.
I mailed them a week before to get a reservation. They did not need any personal information.

Betanzos : you have some budgetplaces but I did not want to go there ( seeing the very rudimentary settings and in a not so nice street )so then you only can go to Garelos or Vila de Betanzos.
This time I chose Vila de Betanzos. Both these hotels were not available this time on Booking.com so I mailed them. At 42 € it was the most expensive night. ( Garelos would have been 47 € ).
Vila de Betanzos : clean and warm ( even too warm before I worked out the central heating /airco ), lovely lady at reception. Building itself is a bit of a strange construction not much charm at all. But again warm and with a bath : lovely after that horrid climb out of Pontedeume that morning.
Overpriced though and Betanzos could do with a bit more competition in the hotelarea.
I can strongly recommend Churreria Amy when you are out of the old centre of Betanzos , after the rondabout. Not only churros but also pan tostada. And much friendlier people than a certain bar in the centre...Ah well...

Then Meson do Vento :Meson Novo with the wonderful host Antonio and his caring parents who run the cafeteria.
A big room I had, nothing is too much for Antonio, a hospitable man indeed. The bathroom is very compact but it has everything one need.
The village is one big street but has two small tiendas, another cafeteria than the one of the hostal, ATM. And across the street is another hotel ( Canaima ) that serves food.
But Antonio's mum will make you some tapas on request. Mailed Antonio two weeks before the start.

Then my personal hightlight : SigueiroHostel ( the former owners of Miras hostal ) opened this state of the art bed&breakfast.
Rainshower , a toiletrybag with all kind of useful products, a bottle of water and free breakfast : 30 €.
For me it was extra special because it were these owners that helped me out four years ago when I became ill and had to go to hospital. They even called in the taxidriver that drove me there. What an emotional encounter that was!
So generous!! Even if they own a commercial enterprise they have a donativo heart!!

Here is the link!
And oh the mum cooks really good!! Evening and morning full of locals!! Always a good sign.

Bookmark this , probably comes in handy some time in the future. :)

Thank you for sharing this Sabine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for posting this. Good to hear news of O Mason Novo, they are really lovely people.

Then Meson do Vento :Meson Novo with the wonderful host Antonio and his caring parents who run the cafeteria.
A big room I had, nothing is too much for Antonio, a hospitable man indeed. The bathroom is very compact but it has everything one need.
But Antonio's mum will make you some tapas on request. Mailed Antonio two weeks before the start.

Here is the link!

Thanks Sabine, very helpful information. I will be walking this route in June and had no idea of where I would be staying until reading this.
Julie

Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sabine
I did Ingles last year and plan to go again in September. Your account of alternative accommodation is most helpful as I found that getting a place at an albergue was somewhat stressful. Having said that the majority of pilgrims were Spanish and they looked after an elderly Englishman very well!

Thanks for these recommendations,

Then Meson do Vento :Meson Novo with Antonio and his caring parents who run the cafeteria.
A big room I had, nothing is too much for the owners indeed. The bathroom is very compact but it has everything one need.
But the mother will make you some tapas on request. Mailed owners two weeks before the start.

Here is the link!

Thanks for theses recommendations, Sabine! We are hoping to combine parts of the Camino del Norte and Ingles in MidSept and Oct. so I will be reviewing your recommendations! Much appreciated!

Last edited:
And much friendlier people than a certain bar in the centre...Ah well...

Have booked Garalos , thanks for that.
Just the Initials of the bar ??? to avoid

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you can afford, book the suite in the Garelos in Betanzos.

Has a jacuzzi bath, which had a magic effect on my legs and body, ready for the long hard stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma / beyond. The extra money to have a soak in the evening when you arrive, and next morning before you set off is money well spent. Also, bring a small bottle of whatever you want to put in the bath with you (relaxing oil, salts, etc.).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Howdy folks I am looking forward to doing the St. James Way in England and considering continuing on with the es Camino INGLES. Can anyone share suggestion or have experience with transportation...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back