• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is swimwear necessary?

Priskalista

Time of past OR future Camino
Will do the camino del norte in May vía camino primitivo
Hi,

My name is Priska and I'm going to do the camino del Norte from Bilbao on May 10 and take the primitivo in Oviedo.

I was wondering, is swimwear necessary? It's not that I'm going to take a swim, but let's say there's a river or lake on the way and I wanted to take a dip, is it possible? Or is it prohibited? Haha, I have no idea.

I have an experience a few years ago doing pilgrimage in another country, sometimes the shower room has no separation wall (in a comunal same sex bathroom) so if you're uncomfortable being naked with other ladies you can wear a bikini.

Anyone can give an advice?

Cheers!

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The purists will say probably say no as its unnecessary weight, but as a Guy I have taken a pair of swim shorts as there were opportunities to take a dip at places. On the Frances there was even the odd Albergue that had a pool. Yep you mentioned some shower rooms are not cubicles. Would wear my swim shorts and flip flops whilst clothes washing and après walk refreshment.

If your pack isn't too heavy, I'd say take swimwear! (Bear in mind I don't know the Camino del Norte).
I sometimes have taken a swimsuit, sometimes not. If you don't take it and it's very hot, you can always swim in your undies with a t-shirt on top. I have! :)
I have come across those communal showers, once on the CF and once on VdlP. Fortunately they were for ladies only so no big deal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have come across those communal showers, once on the CF and once on VdlP. Fortunately they were for ladies only so no big deal.

On my first Camino Frances I stayed in a small refugio with one large communal shower room. No partitions or curtains. Not even a door - just a door-shaped space in the wall between it and the dormitory. I had the place to myself when I arrived. Midway through my shower a young Spanish woman walked in, greeted me politely, removed the towel she was wearing and started to shower too. A little surprising but I quickly decided that if the lady was not embarrassed at my presence then there was no good reason for me to be embarrassed by hers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I will be commencing our first Camino on the del Norte next month. We are both over 60 so no bikinis for me. I have quick dry undies all black and have popped a black rash shirt into my pack which I can pair with black undies as a swimsuit and the rash shirt can double as an extra layer or spare top if needed. I’ll let you know how it works - or not.

My husband and I will be commencing our first Camino on the del Norte next month. We are both over 60 so no bikinis for me. I have quick dry undies all black and have popped a black rash shirt into my pack which I can pair with black undies as a swimsuit and the rash shirt can double as an extra layer or spare top if needed. I’ll let you know how it works - or not.
What is a rash shirt?

Let's see... after Bilbao there are beautiful beaches at Pobeña, Laredo, Santoña, Noja, Somo, Llanes, Muros de Nalon, Tapia de Casariego...

€46,-
Hi,

My name is Priska and I'm going to do the camino del Norte from Bilbao on May 10 and take the primitivo in Oviedo.

I was wondering, is swimwear necessary? It's not that I'm going to take a swim, but let's say there's a river or lake on the way and I wanted to take a dip, is it possible? Or is it prohibited? Haha, I have no idea.

I have an experience a few years ago doing pilgrimage in another country, sometimes the shower room has no separation wall (in a comunal same sex bathroom) so if you're uncomfortable being naked with other ladies you can wear a bikini.

Anyone can give an advice?

Cheers!

Buen camino.
I’m an Aussie and the water is too cold for me to swim in even in August..... I did enjoy walking along the beach in the shallows though.

What is a rash shirt?

Also sometimes known as a rash guard, it is a close-fitting shirt (usually long-sleeved) meant for swimming - often used when surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc. when you'll be out on and in the water for long periods. It helps protect the skin from the elements. It is especially useful when you'll be out long enough that sunblock would wash off or you are in a sensitive environment where you shouldn't wear sunblock - or when people want to limit the amount of chemical gunk they put on their skin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took a pair of lined UnderArmor running shorts that served as my spare while washing my convertible pants, I slept in them a few times and, I did swim in the on 2 occasions. There must be a similar setup for women. Breathable and light weight serving multiple purposes. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

I pack 1 pair Patagonia quick dry bikini undies and a matching colour quick dry sports bra which can serve as “swimwear” (plus a second set of undies and bra).

What is a rash shirt?
Hi Intrepid Traveller
New to this do not sure if I am replying in the correct place. We (in Australia) use them for swimming mainly for our kids to stop them getting sunburnt. They are a close fitting shirt made of similar fabric to a lightweight swimsuit and can be long or short sleeved. Some are made of a fabric which blocks ultra violet rays. Also used a lot by surfers so they don’t get a rash from landing on the sand. Mine is very lightweight and of a cheaper quality but perfect to put in my pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just returned from the camino del Norte and there are beautuful beaches that you will cross. I used my black underware and a black camisol...it looks just like a triquini...and very useful other times, during your walk. Enjoy, the beaches to swim or to relax at the end of the day, beautiful. Buen Camino !

Quick answer, yes, bring it, I wish I had brought something for my Frances Camino I am just finishing now. It doesn't add much weight nor bulk to your pack, and like others have said, it can be multi purpose.

Portuguese camino, blisteringly hot day and a kind local offered us a dip in his private pool. SO needed a swimsuit that day.
Take it - you can always use as underwear (tip from my wife who used to be an air hostess).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best Beach for a swim Martha's beach just before Finesterre, directly on the camino, very quiet and sand is super clean, Just an opinion :)
Trying to find a picture to post.

I took a pair of lined UnderArmor running shorts that served as my spare while washing my convertible pants, I slept in them a few times and, I did swim in the on 2 occasions. There must be a similar setup for women. Breathable and light weight serving multiple purposes. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

I'm going to do exactly the same thing too! Hopefully the Norte in June-July will have warm enough water to swim

As you are walking along the coast, I would say yes! Or something else you can swim in. I loved that dive in the ocean after a warm day of walking. I also saw pilgrims swimming along the way. I did that once, but that was on a nudist beach which made life even easier ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first Camino Frances I stayed in a small refugio with one large communal shower room. No partitions or curtains. Not even a door - just a door-shaped space in the wall between it and the dormitory. I had the place to myself when I arrived. Midway through my shower a young Spanish woman walked in, greeted me politely, removed the towel she was wearing and started to shower too. A little surprising but I quickly decided that if the lady was not embarrassed at my presence then there was no good reason for me to be embarrassed by hers.
I have noticed that Europeans are much more comfortable with nudity than Americans. As for the swimsuit question I vote with the men who wear their extra shorts and women that wear black underwear and Cami because I don't bring anything that can't be used at least 2 or 3 ways and can be used for more things than just swimming. However, there are plenty of bikinis for sale along the Camino. My teenage granddaughter bought a bikini decorated with scallop shells at the mall in Ponferrada but of course there was no more swimming places after that. But it made a great keepsake. And my final word of advice is if you really want to bring something take it no matter what anyone else says. That's what the camino is about --finding out what you want and what you like. And there are still plenty of donation baskets at the Albergues to place things that you found you didn't need. My daughter got quite a nice hiking outfit from the basket in Granon.

I have noticed that Europeans are much more comfortable with nudity than Americans. As for the swimsuit question I vote with the men who wear their extra shorts and women that wear black underwear and Cami because I don't bring anything that can't be used at least 2 or 3 ways and can be used for more things than just swimming. However, there are plenty of bikinis for sale along the Camino. My teenage granddaughter bought a bikini decorated with scallop shells at the mall in Ponferrada but of course there was no more swimming places after that. But it made a great keepsake. And my final word of advice is if you really want to bring something take it no matter what anyone else says. That's what the camino is about --finding out what you want and what you like. And there are still plenty of donation baskets at the Albergues to place things that you found you didn't need. My daughter got quite a nice hiking outfit from the basket in Granon.

I’m ex (minor) public school (which in American English is ‘private school’) and army.
I was brought up to regard same sex nudity, especially for showering etc. as simply the natural order of things.

Regrettably the same institutions almost succeeded in concealing the fact that there were actually two genders* and that it might be worth seeking the other one out.

* (I realise that this age-old premise might no longer hold true, but forgive me - I’m past the age where it really matters)

I would bring it, doubles as shorts to lounge in when washing clothes. If you decide to book into a hotel with a spa they will come in handy and wild swimming always a refreshing way to invigorate before finishing walk. The weight is miniscule and a pair takes up very little room. A must have IMHO 🤠

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm hoping to walk the norte starting early June, virus permitting. Just wondering if the sea will be warm enough to swim, not sure if I will bring some swimmers or not Soft aussie here.

In 2015 we swam at Pobena, Castro Urdiales, Santander and other spots. Some days were chillier than others. Also at the beaches some of the local Spanish people also must have forgoten their swimwear as many were au naturel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.