• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buenos dias caminantes, and thanks for all the great photos. I am back on Mi Casa Humilde (left my other home, Mi Casa de la Tranquilidad two days ago) and just finished a great long distance walk with my camino-ready-backpack (everything I need for my next camino is in my backpack). Nice cool weather, and I can see the storm clouds just over the horizon (over the Pacific Ocean), waiting for the rain to come. To everyone currently walking the caminos in Spain and in your country, animo, no pares de caminar.

Caminito de Madera.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey! Windswept! 150 miles! Speedy Gonzales! My poor legs are flailing around in despair at the thought!
HI Kirkie, As you can imagine, it’s flat so rapid progress is possible. The Frances took me 21 days. My legs have a life all of their own and my body just seems to follow on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HI Kirkie, As you can imagine, it’s flat so rapid progress is possible. The Frances took me 21 days. My legs have a life all of their own and my body just seems to follow on.
Dear Windswept: it is not often I am left without words...! and this morning I was trying to put davebugg’s tip into practice, about lengthening my backward step, but it got too much so I reverted to tripping along with my short little legs!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today we had a nice walk off about 17km
around Burgh Haamstede in Zeeland.

Attachments

• 20180512_080741.jpg
    20180512_080741.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180512_082822.jpg
    20180512_082822.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180512_083925.jpg
    20180512_083925.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180512_091426.jpg
    20180512_091426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180512_093933.jpg
    20180512_093933.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180512_105940.jpg
    20180512_105940.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180512_094206.jpg
    20180512_094206.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
Dear Windswept: it is not often I am left without words...! and this morning I was trying to put davebugg’s tip into practice, about lengthening my backward step, but it got too much so I reverted to tripping along with my short little legs!
Dear Kirkie, short, long, quick, slow, we are all different but we get there in the end, and that’s what’s really important. I have a fairly set routine. I leave early, I stop only for twenty minutes for lunch where I decide where I’m going to stay the night and then walk until I get there. It’s served me well over four Caminos. I will be 72 years old when I do the Primativo next year. Perhaps time will take its toll and I’ll have to slow down, I suspect it will, but that’s life. It’s not that I don’t want to sit down sometimes, it’s just that I’m afraid if I do I might not get up again.

Dear Kirkie, short, long, quick, slow, we are all different but we get there in the end, and that’s what’s really important. I have a fairly set routine. I leave early, I stop only for twenty minutes for lunch where I decide where I’m going to stay the night and then walk until I get there. It’s served me well over four Caminos. I will be 72 years old when I do the Primativo next year. Perhaps time will take its toll and I’ll have to slow down, I suspect it will, but that’s life. It’s not that I don’t want to sit down sometimes, it’s just that I’m afraid if I do I might not get up again.
You are so right, we are all different, thankfully. I am sometimes sorry when being offered a seat on local transport, as I prefer to stand for the reason it can be so hard to get up again! Long may your legs keep you on the move, and your head and heart...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buenas tardes caminantes, and thanks Mister P for the awesome photos. Caminantes in Europe, you are blessed with so many wonderful walking places provided by Mother Nature. Now back in my city, we had some rain last night and the trail was wet and muddy, the rain gave us a break and we got our walk done under dark skies. Bunch of snails (whites and brown shells), birds, and rabbits during my walk today, in this area I counted 13 conejos (rabbits) playing in the middle of the trail. When I see them I stop, let them play, and after they are done playing I move on. God Bless Mother Nature. Walking is great, life is wonderful. To all caminantes, animo, no pares de caminar.

Alto de conejos.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Miss Y for the good looking photo. Hang in there, you WILL have the opportunity to observe your sunrise on El Camino (muchos of them). God bless you, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
sorry for late thanks for such inspiring words.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me every day is mothers day, but today we celebrate mothers day here in USA. For all mothers around the globe, have a happy mothers day, and for my mother in heaven, I miss you and I ask for forgiveness. Now, back to walking--today I had a long-and-peaceful walk. It was quiet, cloudy, low visibility, empty streets, even the birds were silent. Caminar es genial, la vida es maravillosa (walking is great, life is wonderful).

Dia Gris.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For all my fellow walkers here. If you do not know this book already I can really recommend it.
For me as a non native English speaker not always easy to comprehend but with some effort I managed.

Old ways by Robert Macfarlane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/books/review/the-old-ways-by-robert-macfarlane.html
A book to give as a present to everyone who loves walking and nature!

Hopefully back to real walking this week.

Thank you Miss S for the heads up on Robert Macfarlane's book. The book is available at my county library and I have placed a hold on it. And oh by the way, your English is outstanding (note, English is my second language). Muchas gracias, y no pares de caminar.

For all my fellow walkers here. If you do not know this book already I can really recommend it.
For me as a non native English speaker not always easy to comprehend but with some effort I managed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/books/review/the-old-ways-by-robert-macfarlane.html

Thanks, Sabine. I have just read the review, and will check it out in the library this week; thanks, Sailor, for reminding me to use that as first port of call.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

This looks fascinating! Thank you Sabine!

It's been a busy week since returning from my camino. So much to do and catch up on. Finally feeling that I may be past the jet lag - it's been tough this time! Had a chance for a good long walk today through the woods and trails of Pacific Spirit Park and on to a visit at the Museum of Anthropology.

MOA 1.jpgMOA 2.jpgMOA 3.jpgMOA 4.jpgMOA 5.jpg

How to speak Dutch: Lekker; nice, sweet, tasty, good etc

This word can be used for almost anything. Pretty much anything good is ‘lekker’. When applied to food it means that the food was tasty (eg ‘Hoe zijn de worsten?’ ‘Heel lekker’ -> ‘How are the sausages?’ ‘Very nice’). It can also be applied to people, a good looking person is referred to as a ‘lekkerding’, which translates literally to a ‘sweet thing’. From what I have learnt, there seem to be no limits to this word. The most common Dutch way of saying goodnight is ‘slaap lekker’, which translates to ‘sleep nice’. I haven’t done any research, but from what I have seen this could literally be the most commonly used word in Dutch.

@Sailor i thinks ive got @kirkie now for words that google cant help me hehehe...thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since we're on a Camino-forum, let me try to translate it another way. Remember how you felt after a good days walk, sitting outside watching the sun go down after a nice meal, and suddenly you're joined by some of the friends you made the past few days. Wine is ordered and stories unfold all around you. I'd say that is "gezellig".
cant help to imagine... and wished to have oozing one! in sha allah!

Welterusten, everyone!
Here's my evening walk in the Beech-tree cathedral. The centre where I am for another day or so is in an area where people live who have more money than I can imagine. There are a few smaller properties on the edge of the neighborhood, probably just millionaires rather than quintrillionaires - and some perhaps are nouveau-riche. The gate makes me smile every time I go by it. ;)
Fortunately, the rest of us hoi polloi are still allowed to walk there - and for us there are yellow arrows! I found this one today.
View attachment 42197View attachment 42196View attachment 42199View attachment 42198
wow that alley on that greenish...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's been a busy week since returning from my camino. So much to do and catch up on. Finally feeling that I may be past the jet lag - it's been tough this time! Had a chance for a good long walk today through the woods and trails of Pacific Spirit Park and on to a visit at the Museum of Anthropology.

View attachment 42498View attachment 42499View attachment 42500View attachment 42501View attachment 42502
I hope it stops being tough soon. Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.

I just reserved the book... thanks again, it sounds very promising.

Buenos dias, caminantes! Long and steady walk very early this morning. Donde esta la playa (where is the beach)? I like this sign which is located in a good looking street, good looking area, but you are not going to see any playa (beach) around here. The nearest playa (beach) is the Pacific Ocean, located about 15 kilometers to the west. To all caminantes, animo, no pares de caminar.
Donde esta la playa!.jpg

Buenos dias, caminantes! Long and steady walk very early this morning. Donde esta la playa (where is the beach)? I like this sign which is located in a good looking street, good looking area, but you are not going to see any playa (beach) around here. The nearest playa (beach) is the Pacific Ocean, located about 15 kilometers to the west. To all caminantes, animo, no pares de caminar.
View attachment 42538

Muchos gracias @Sailor
while typing it reminds me to say 'gracias' everytime we burp.
though originally im supposed to say that it reminds me 'aplaya' like a very sunny, sandy way to the beach... :)o_O

Miss Y, here you can see our Great Pacific Ocean at the distance (end of the big road), plus a cruise ship heading to port this morning. Great walk today, great cloudy weather. Take care, y no pares de caminar.
Pacific Ocean and Cruise Ship.jpg

No walk , some times is this the view from the office .

Attachments

• 20180517_070020.jpg
    20180517_070020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180517_070053.jpg
    20180517_070053.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20180517_070120.jpg
    20180517_070120.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20180517_070303.jpg
    20180517_070303.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Miss Y, here you can see our Great Pacific Ocean at the distance (end of the big road), plus a cruise ship heading to port this morning. Great walk today, great cloudy weather. Take care, y no pares de caminar.
View attachment 42554
thank u so much @Sailor ! hope qatar have same view aside from construction & desert... hehehe

Buen dia! Fast-paced walk today, nice weather, good view all the way to the ocean but no ships sighted this morning. And here I sit, feeling good, camino-ready, thanks heavens, need to take care of some issues and then I will make my next camino decision. Viva la vida, no pares de caminar.
20180517_075314.jpg

Last edited:
Today is Norway’s National day, we celebrate our Constitution from 1814. We celebrate the day with parades for both children and grownups. Many people wear national costumes with shoes not too good...in the afternoon it is good to take them off:)2FFF3BAA-CD3E-4E24-9A65-47BFBE7C2F5D.jpeg4211D151-F91A-4093-8C1E-8EFB7C3FA8A2.jpeg1F525520-FEA3-47E2-9129-82025E39BA92.jpeg7A7D9A5C-D155-4105-BA85-1E24D6584E20.jpegE6385E05-7AA3-4917-8F90-10978B0E9D13.jpeg15BC48B0-5BE8-4BE5-B88F-51ABAB359FDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Today is Norway’s National day, we celebrate our Constitution from 1814. We celebrate the day with parades for both children and grownups. Many people wear national costumes with shoes not too good...in the afternoon it is good to take them off:)View attachment 42620View attachment 42619View attachment 42614View attachment 42615View attachment 42616View attachment 42617View attachment 42618
Gorgeous colour red! Yes, the shoes wouldn’t take you far on any Camino!

Today is Norway’s National day, we celebrate our Constitution from 1814. We celebrate the day with parades for both children and grownups. Many people wear national costumes with shoes not too good...in the afternoon it is good to take them off:)View attachment 42620View attachment 42619View attachment 42614View attachment 42615View attachment 42616View attachment 42617View attachment 42618
I would like to delete one of the pictures, the one with the children. How do I delete only one picture?

€60,-
I would like to delete one of the pictures, the one with the children. How do I delete only one picture?
Miss T, this works for me:

(1) Find the post you want to modify and click "Edit."
(2) Photos will be displayed in your post, below you will see another "screen" with your photos (it shows the name of the photo, plus "Insert, Thumbnail|Full image".
(3) On that "second screen" pick the photo you want to delete, click on "delete" on the right margin.
(4) The photo is no longer displayed in "the top screen" of your post.
(5) Click "Preview" to verify that your post is good to go.
(6) Click on "Save" (only if your post is good to go), otherwise click cancel.
(7) You are done.

I hope all this makes sense! Good luck, y no pares de caminar.

Last edited:
Miss T, this works for me:

(1) Find the post you want to modify and click "Edit."
(2) Photos will be displayed in your post, below you will see another "screen" with your photos (it shows the name of the photo, plus "Insert, Thumbnail|Full image".
(3) On that "second screen" pick the photo you want to delete, click on "delete" on the right margin.
(4) The photo is no longer displayed in "the top screen" of your post.
(5) Click "Preview" to verify that your post is good to go.
(6) Click on "Save" (only if your post is good to go), otherwise click cancel.
(7) You are done.

I hope all this makes sense! Good luck, y no pares de caminar.
Thank you so much, easy when you know how to do it:)

Another cloudy morning here, but I was able to take care of my walk, a fast-paced one to beat the rain. It is now raining slowly here, and that is good, I love the slow rain. Raining and dark skies, and we have a sign at home for this type of day (photo attached). To all caminantes, animo, no pares de caminar.

Look for stars.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Life is full, but the legs have gotten a nice workout yesterday in Nijmegen, a walk through the city and then out over the river Waal to a flood control project - water management technology as only the Dutch can do.
The highland cattle were a bonus. They scratch their backs with those fierce looking horns.:)20180514_171102.jpg20180514_160242.jpg20180517_150201.jpg20180517_152750.jpg20180517_153417.jpg

Lovely pictures .
Was de Bastei open yesterday . And you visit the Barbarossa-ruine aswell in the Valkhof park . It’s a very nice park to walk . And yes we are good in water management , you already visit the delta works in Zeeland ?
Thill when you will stay in in Holland ?
Wish you well , Peter .
ps. My last name is Valkhof how cool is that.:rolleyes:

Haha, yes, Peter, I went to your place...;)
This place is walking heaven...
I think de Bastei opens tomorrow. But I head to Rotterdam after a full day. Oh, well.
I'll be there for another week, and then onward.
Eventually my steps will led to the Ingles, but there are many full days between now and then...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today is Norway’s National day, we celebrate our Constitution from 1814. We celebrate the day with parades for both children and grownups. Many people wear national costumes with shoes not too good...in the afternoon it is good to take them off:)View attachment 42620View attachment 42619View attachment 42614View attachment 42615View attachment 42617View attachment 42618
Yesterday’s post was not mainly to inform you about our Constitution day, but more about walking in those shoes:). But today I put on my good Camino shoes and went up the hillside behind my house. Upwards, upwards.. I soon found out that I need to walk more....F83E8395-8E78-4BAA-B723-39B9AF8EE21D.jpeg

Another cloudy morning here, but I was able to take care of my walk, a fast-paced one to beat the rain. It is now raining slowly here, and that is good, I love the slow rain. Raining and dark skies, and we have a sign at home for this type of day (photo attached). To all caminantes, animo, no pares de caminar.

View attachment 42635
there's always good out from bad...

Went for a walk today around the four lakes in the center of Copenhagen –one of my regular walks. From where I live and taking some detours to avoid the most traficated streets, it’s a nice 12.5 km. walk.

Lake Sct. Jorgen
Sct Jørgens sø.jpg

The old pavilion at the end of Lake Peblinge

Pavillonen Peblinge sø.jpg

The “waterhole” around half way (Vesterbro Torv) where I stop for a rest and a drink
Vandingshullet.jpg

The Planetarium dome near Tivoli
Planetariet.jpg

A busy duck-mother taking her 14 kids out for a swim
Travl andemor.jpg

Nature in the city center
Natur i byen.jpg

A nice day in Antwerpen.

Attachments

• 20180520_105442.jpg
    20180520_105442.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180520_112255.jpg
    20180520_112255.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180520_112248.jpg
    20180520_112248.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180520_121636.jpg
    20180520_121636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180520_122828.jpg
    20180520_122828.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180520_122932.jpg
    20180520_122932.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

€60,-
Nice pics and nice weather - just like here, beginning to look like real summer. Farmers are starting to complain about too little rain. But as we say around here: "Kommer titten før totten så bliver landmanden knotten. Kommer totten før titten så bliver landmanden vritten." ( I guess it needs some sort of translation: "If this comes before that, the farmer gets angry. If that comes before this, the farmer gets annoyed." (in Danish it rimes)) :p

Nice pics and nice weather - just like here, beginning to look like real summer. Farmers are starting to complain about too little rain. But as we say around here: "Kommer titten før totten så bliver landmanden knotten. Kommer totten før titten så bliver landmanden vritten." ( I guess it needs some sort of translation: "If this comes before that, the farmer gets angry. If that comes before this, the farmer gets annoyed." (in Danish it rimes)) :p
Good old sayings, and good old common sense, keep us grounded. Thank you, stgcph

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Miss S, happy birthday, invitation accepted. "For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased." No pares de caminar.

Happy birthday, Sabine!
We sure had nice weather in Rotterdam, too - the sun was obviously shining everywhere for you.
I was inside much of the day, but the walk back to where I am staying was very nice. The mind goes to planning some interesting walks this week...any suggestions from the Dutch contingent (besides the Fire Boundary Walk, already planned)?

20180520_163513.jpg
20180520_170129.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Happy birthday, Sabine!
We sure had nice weather in Rotterdam, too - the sun was obviously shining everywhere for you.
I was inside much of the day, but the walk back to where I am staying was very nice. The mind goes to planning some interesting walks this week...any suggestions from the Dutch contingent (besides the Fire Boundary Walk, already planned)?

View attachment 42719
View attachment 42718
Burgh Haamstede a walk along the shore to the floodgates.

A walk along the river from a different starting point brought me to something I haven't seen in a while:

IMG_2377.JPG
Anna Livia
is a bronze monument located in Croppies Memorial Park in Dublin, Ireland. It was formerly located on O'Connell Street.[1]

Designed by the sculptor Éamonn O'Doherty,[2] the monument was commissioned by businessman Michael Smurfit, in memory of his father, for the Dublin Millennium celebrations in 1988.[3]

The monument is a personification of the River Liffey (Abhainn na Life in Irish) which runs through the city. Anna Livia Plurabelle is the name of a character in James Joyce's Finnegans Wake who also embodies the river. In the monument's original location, the river was represented as a young woman sitting on a slope with water flowing past her. Dubliners nicknamed it the Floozie in the Jacuzzi,[1][4] a nickname that was encouraged by the sculptor.[5]

The monument was removed from its site on O'Connell Street in 2001 to make room for the Spire of Dublin. In late February 2011, partly reworked and refurbished, the statue was relocated to Croppies Memorial Park next to the Liffey, near Heuston station.[6]

Most of the bush (forest) trails where I live have been closed to try to combat a disease that is killing our magnificent kauri trees so I am restricted to city walking, especially for long distances.
But look what I found right beside a main road, something I must have driven past two or three times before I walked and could *see*
766B0E6E-4E11-45D5-912B-D1F886CC39CE.jpeg

Burgh Haamstede a walk along the shore to the floodgates.
Will look it up now, Peter, thank you! I have the morning off tomorrow and will see where my feet take me.
This evening went downtown and the place was humming with walkers - some big team race was finishing, with lots of happy and tired looking groups of people headed to the finish line.
Edit...not this time I'm afraid, as I don't have the time. But it looks fabulous.

@Theatregal those pics from Stanley Park are knock your socks off gorgeous. I can almost smell the deciduous azalea...and all those Rhodos....
Wow.

Last edited:
Will look it up now, Peter, thank you! I have the morning off tomorrow and will see where my feet take me.
This evening went downtown and the place was humming with walkers - some big team race was finishing, with lots of happy and tired looking groups of people headed to the finish line.
Edit...not this time I'm afraid, as I don't have the time. But it looks fabulous.

@Theatregal those pics from Stanley Park are knock your socks off gorgeous. I can almost smell the deciduous azalea...and all those Rhodos....
Wow.
When you look at post #510 you will see some pictures from Burgh Haamstede and the floodgates .;)

The mind goes to planning some interesting walks this week...any suggestions from the Dutch contingent (besides the Fire Boundary Walk, already planned)?

How about taking the 'Waterbus' from the Willemskade in Rotterdam over the river to Dordrecht? Once there a nice lunch or a drink at 'Villa Augustus', after that wander around the old city of Dordrecht. Take the waterbus or train back and Bob's your uncle.

€60,-
Thank you Miss T for the good looking photos from Stanley Park. My last time there was back in 1998 when I was training for a marathon during a port visit, my warship was pierside somewhere in downtown. Great long distance run passing by a very scenic totems park. To my friends in Canada, happy Victoria Day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This summer, probably in early July, I'll be doing a section hike of the North Country Trail. The North Country Trail is a hiking trail that runs from New York to North Dakota. Being a North Dakota resident, I'll be hiking my home state. The "section" is 430 miles. (The entire NCT is 4600 miles!)

This summer, probably in early July, I'll be doing a section hike of the North Country Trail. The North Country Trail is a hiking trail that runs from New York to North Dakota. Being a North Dakota resident, I'll be hiking my home state. The "section" is 430 miles. (The entire NCT is 4600 miles!)

I remember driving through the Badlands of North Dakota. It was an almost hallucinatory but stunning drive. I hope you won't have to walk there, because it'll be baking hot...

Last edited:
I remember driving through the Badlands of North Dakota. It was an almost hallucinatory but stunning drive. I hope you won't have to walk there, because it'll be baking hot...

Actually, there is trail through the North Dakota Badlands. It's called the Maah Daah Hey Trail. http://mdhta.com

It's 140 miles (recently expanded from 99 miles). The name comes from a Mandan phrase, roughly translated it means, "Something that has been here for a long time." People wanting solitude and a true wilderness trail would do well to look into Maah Daah Hey. There is only one town along the trail. You camp the entire way, with the minimum distance between campsites being 18 miles. Outside of the campsites, you are either treating water (which can be difficult because of how muddy it is) or you pre-cache water in the provided water boxes along the trail. You're carrying all your food with you, at least until you can get to Medora.

And I was this close to doing that one instead, until I decided I would rather do the NCT.

The North Country Trail runs through the eastern part of North Dakota. You're walking through farm and grasslands. Relatively flat land, of course it looks flat until you're actually walking it! Also, it runs through towns along the way. In my planning, I think the longest I'll have to go without a town is maybe 4 or 5 days. Plus, there is a nice mix of campgrounds, hotels, and primitive camping along the way.

North Dakota has a reputation for cold, but summers here can be blistering too. 85-90 and with high humidity. My plan is to start early each day and end in the early afternoon to avoid the hottest parts of the day. I hope to average around 20-25 miles a day and complete the walk in about 25 days.

Hopefully I'll be able to post more as it gets closer and maybe even from the trail too!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good looking photos, thanks to all contributors!

Great day here, cloudy, cool wind from the ocean, a few rain drops during my walk, but we got it done. Praying for all caminantes currently walking one of the caminos heading to Santiago de Compostela, praying for peace. Also praying for our heroes during this Memorial Day Weekend here in the USA. Note, I have changed my avatar to honor our Memorial Day, this is my flag in front of La Casa Humilde, my old home (if this avatar is against the rules please let me know and I will change it).

Animo, no pares de caminar.

Old Glory at La Casa Humilde.jpg

Last edited:
Today we had a nice walk back in time in Dordrecht .

Attachments

• 20180526_102720.jpg
    20180526_102720.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180526_102737.jpg
    20180526_102737.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180526_102459.jpg
    20180526_102459.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180526_102831.jpg
    20180526_102831.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180526_104738.jpg
    20180526_104738.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Mister P for the photo of the boat! I love all kind of boats, I grew up on a fishermen village and worked on sea related jobs for about fifty years. However, now I am extremely happy doing all my sailing on foot on Mother Nature Trails. Muchas gracias, y no pares de caminar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.