• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Porto coastal return central

Sacred Heart

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking part of the Camino from 2nd September to 18th, Leon to Santiago.
Hi
I am walking from Lisbon to Porto on the coastal route and back down on the central route. How many miles is it? Has anyone done this before. I have walked the French route to Santiago but just want a quiet trip this time .
Angie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
and back down on the central route

Hi, I think you will find it very difficult to walk from Ansiao to Lisbon.

Porto to Ansiao will be waymarked with blue arrows to Fatima.

At Ansiao the route to Fatima splits from the Camino de Santiago, and goes via Caxarias, whereas the central route to Porto is coming up from Alvaiazere, and it is not marked in the opposite direction.

It is quite difficult at junctions when going “backwards”, as you do not know which path to take unless someone is coming towards you.

Jill

Hi
I am walking from Lisbon to Porto on the coastal route and back down on the central route. How many miles is it? Has anyone done this before. I have walked the French route to Santiago but just want a quiet trip this time .
Angie
Hi Angie,

Curious if you've walked the coastal and back down route already. I spontaneously decided yesterday to do one of the routes and i'll leave in 2 weeks. I don't have so much time, between 1,5 - 2 weeks and now i'm figuring out which route would be the best and most beautiful in this time of the year. Hope you have some tips!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd suggest the normal/central route from Lisbon or if you are more adventurous the new marked route from Evora.
The southern regions should be a bit warmer than Porto or Galicia.
Winter time is already very quiet, so no real need to look for less people. The first albergue (Alpriate) is closed till March. Take a warm sleeping bag with you. Hostels usually have heating and wifi, Pensions and albergues may have heating, but it's not sure.

I've met someone who did the Lisbon - Porto coastal way. He told me no arrows, no guide book! You are on your own.
From Porto the coastal way to Santiago has no difficulties. Some people I met went the opposite direction. The central route is marked from Santiago to Fatima with blue arrows. The coastal route is also good to follow your own trail. The arrows often follow the churches, which you find a bit apart from the coast.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back