• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two questions: getting to the start, and an extra short first day

Ana Guanabaa

Time of past OR future Camino
considering (2018)
Hello,

I'll be traveling from Porto by train to Valenca in late July, to start the camino there. My first question: I was unable to reserve a train ticket between the two towns. I inquired with the company, who let me know that you can only buy tickets for that trip at the station (other tickets for the same route could be reserved, but they were longer/less convenient rides). Does anyone have experience getting train tickets heading north from Porto just before the train ride, and is this typical (and generally problem free)?

When we arrive in Valenca we'll walk the few km to Tui in Spain and spend the night there. Second question: Is it inappropriate to stay in an albergue that first night, since we've only walked a couple kms on the camino? I know that there's a longer stretch (by the standards of my 7 year old) heading out of Tui until we get to the next albergues in O Porrino, so I'd like to start in Tui early in the day, rather than pairing it with the train ride from Porto.

Obrigado, I appreciate the many people who have offered their insights to my many previous questions too! This may be the last one ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You shouldn't have a problem buying the ticket. Get to the station with a bit of extra time in case there is a line. You might also be able to take a bus.

Stop sonewhere - any shop or cafe should do - in Valanca to get your pilgrim passport stamped. Valanca is a treat! Follow the arrows into the old fort.

And it is permissable to stay in albergues at the commencement of your walk. Tui has private as well as the municipal albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Ana
The train ticket unlikely to be a problem. Agree with Nortern Light just leave plenty of time. Also about staying in an albergue. Just need a credential.
I am a strong believer in starting with shorter days. I like the saying “if you want to arrive like a young person, start off like an old one” To me this not only means shorter days but importantly walking SLOWLY. Too many start to walk quickly due to excitement at beginning and feelings of pent up energy ( myself included) need to hold back. You have hills ahead.
Buen Camino.
Happymark

I did the same thing at the end of April - took a train from Porto-Valenca (there was a change somewhere) and walked from the station at Valenca to Tui. Not only did I want to see the fortress there, but I think there's something rather 'romantic' (in the adventurous sense of the word' in walking from one country to another.

It's about 4km, and I got my first stamp at a cafe on the right just after you leave the fortress and shortly before the bridge. I now wish I'd got one somewhere in the fortress, but at the time didn't even think about it.

I stayed at Ideas Peregrinas which isn't just a cafe as many think. then next morning I walked to O Porrino.

About the train ticket, I booked my ticket in advance, about 4 weeks before I ttravelled https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Ana
The train ticket unlikely to be a problem. Agree with Nortern Light just leave plenty of time. Also about staying in an albergue. Just need a credential.
I am a strong believer in starting with shorter days. I like the saying “if you want to arrive like a young person, start off like an old one” To me this not only means shorter days but importantly walking SLOWLY. Too many start to walk quickly due to excitement at beginning and feelings of pent up energy ( myself included) need to hold back. You have hills ahead.
Buen Camino.
Happymark

Thank you Mark, all good points that I appreciate!
Ana

I did the same thing at the end of April - took a train from Porto-Valenca (there was a change somewhere) and walked from the station at Valenca to Tui. Not only did I want to see the fortress there, but I think there's something rather 'romantic' (in the adventurous sense of the word' in walking from one country to another.

It's about 4km, and I got my first stamp at a cafe on the right just after you leave the fortress and shortly before the bridge. I now wish I'd got one somewhere in the fortress, but at the time didn't even think about it.

I stayed at Ideas Peregrinas which isn't just a cafe as many think. then next morning I walked to O Porrino.

About the train ticket, I booked my ticket in advance, about 4 weeks before I ttravelled https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en

Thanks Julia-T, we're on the same wavelength about the romance of walking from one country to another!

I appreciate the pointers. The link that you shared is the one that I've look at, which funnily enough will let me book the early morning or later evening train, but not the many mid-day trains. I'll follow the advice of leaving plenty of time.

Happy explorations!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back