• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Abbeys and convents

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
Miam Miam does' say anything about abbeys or ancient convents sur la route were we can stay for the night. Any information elsewere?? I´ve seen that the Espace Bernadete Soubirous in Nevers is a very nice old convet but that'd all I've got...

Katia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Miam Miam Dodo for the route is very comprehensive for accommodations, so if it does not identify abbeys and convents, there aren't any! Its legend identifies categories of places, so look for the ones that are church oriented. Good luck doing the research.:)

I know MMDD is usually very comprehensive but it doesnot says anything about Espace Bernadete Soubirous in Nevers and after I discovered it is an anciet convet I'll try to stay there... So I am afraid there are others not mentioned...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nope... my MMDD is 2018/2019. It does have the reference but do not says it is an ancient convent. I discovered it is an ancient convert researching on internet. There is no reference in MMDD.

I discovered it is an ancient convert researching on internet. There is no reference in MMDD.
The old Chassain guide had a companion book that gave a lot of history along the route. It probably had information on the convent, but it is no longer in print. I suppose that guidebooks must choose between providing information on the accommodation, the history of each place, and being concise. With the availability of search engines like Google, they may leave some research to the customer.:)

A used copy of Chassain is available on amazon.fr.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2356690239/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Miam Miam does' say anything about abbeys or ancient convents sur la route were we can stay for the night. Any information elsewere?? I´ve seen that the Espace Bernadete Soubirous in Nevers is a very nice old convet but that'd all I've got...

Katia
St Bernadette didn't die till 1879 so it will scarcely be an "ancient" convent, though it is where she spent her last years (I think!).

I stayed in a convent in Vezelay and in Limoges, and a couple of other places (but can't tell you where as I am currently overseas and can't look it up).

This page has links that may help. http://verscompostelle.be/cohevez.htm

By the way - not a convent, but the converterted pigsty at Ostobat is well worth staying at.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have stayed in L'Espace Bernadette.The preserved body of St Bernadette is in a glass coffin on display in the chapel.The convent has been updated with every modern convenience..In my opinion it is more like a 3/4 star hôtel.

The pilgrim accommodation in Vezelay is very nice - even after coming from overseas I would consider it. It is good standard. And they give you the space you need. Dorm accommodation though.
Accept their invitation to morning prayers at the basilica - it was one of the few religious experiences and highlights I've had on my way. With the monks, nuns and the priest of the community in one of the cozy old chapels of this ancient basilica.

I had lunch at the convent in Nevers. It is rather large and touristic place. Not so old. They where friendly and relaxed at the comedor. But I am not sure if I would like to spend the night.
Anyway, it's worth a visit. To learn about Sainte Bernadette. Pretty impressing and so recent. It inspired me to read up on her and Lourdes a bit more.

I can recommend the hostel from the municipality in Le Veurdre. Really nice and welcoming place (but no heating, can get really cold indoors). The village also has a bar, a restaurant, a shop, all you need.
And then the hostel APSJVV in Ainay-le-Chataux - small, friendly, with volunteer hosts.

There is an other hostel APSJVV in Bouzais, just outside St. Amand-Montrond. Haven't been there yet, but will probably stay there in September for my first night before hitting the road again.

@Katia: As I am messaging you in at least 2 different places: You are welcome to keep in touch also via inbox/messages. I'm fluent in English and also (or even more) Spanish, and French if necessary (but no Portuguese yet)

Claudia

Last edited:
Ay, one more recommendation:
One day hike from Vezelay - you must stay at L'Esprit du Chemin in Le Chemin.
Say 'hi' to Arno and Huberta (I was one of there first guests season 2018).
They are kind of famous on the camino ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back