• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite albergues on the Salvador?

Princess Kaguya

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino Fisterra (2018)
Dear fellow pilgrims,
I understand that this question may have its limitations. From my research there seems to be a relatively limited numbers of albergue options on the Salvador (compared to the Frances for example), so maybe it won't come to choosing but to convenience and timing, as it often is. However, if you have walked the Salvador, what were your top 3 favourite albergues?
Personally, I prefer donativos and communal dinners to private albergues, but am keen to read your answers and take note.
Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

there is not that variety of albergues on the Salvador as you know it from the French way. There is one albergue in one town and the next is 15 to 20 km further on. So the choice is made by the distances you can walk.

Besides this: If you like an albergue depends more on the people you are staying with, the hospitalero volounteering at that moment, your personal mood on that very day etc.

BC
Alexandra

Hi,

there is not that variety of albergues on the Salvador as you know it from the French way. There is one albergue in one town and the next is 15 to 20 km further on. So the choice is made by the distances you can walk.

Besides this: If you like an albergue depends more on the people you are staying with, the hospitalero volounteering at that moment, your personal mood on that very day etc.

BC
Alexandra

So you don't have any *personal* favourites on the Salvador? :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are some very nice albergues on the Salvador. Sandra’s place in Bendueños tops my list, and Pajares is a close second. Problem is that they are only about 12 km apart, so it is hard to stay at them both on the same Camino. But repeating the Salvador is a punishment we all should wish for.

If you stay in Poladura, it's about 32 km to Bendueños, because you will not go into the village of Pajares -- so you save a few km. That is probably my favorite day on any camino, a pefect mix of spectacular mountains, beautiful green valleys, and pretty little villages.

Sandra's albergue in Benduenos is the best! Do not forget to call her to let her know you are coming. She cooks dinner and will need to know, how many to cook for.
Buen camino to you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear fellow pilgrims,
I understand that this question may have its limitations. From my research there seems to be a relatively limited numbers of albergue options on the Salvador (compared to the Frances for example), so maybe it won't come to choosing but to convenience and timing, as it often is. However, if you have walked the Salvador, what were your top 3 favourite albergues?
Personally, I prefer donativos and communal dinners to private albergues, but am keen to read your answers and take note.
Thank you!

My favorite was in Cabanillas. A small village about 17 km's from Leon. There is no food service ( no bar or tienda ) there so bring your own dinner. That said, the towns people were lovely. A man came out of his house when I arrived and gave me a cold beer. The Albergue is pristine. Later a woman from the village came by and brought me to her house for dinner. She would not accept anything and made me take back the money I left behind. I can not guarantee you will have the same experience.

Pajares is also a very nice Albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe

My favourite is actually a casa rural, El Embrujo, in Poladura, lovely place (Bendueños did not exist yet when I walked this camino 6 years ago). La Robla is nice too, Pola de Lena is perfectly functional and central, Pajares and their hospitalera Marisa are lovely... not a complain at all!

Bendueños! Not only my favourite place to stay on any of the caminos I've done thus far, but also one my most memorable stays out of all my travels. Cannott recommend it enough :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, totally Bendueños (last year, 2017)! Pajares (2016) is nice too, but as mentioned above, it's probably to close to visit both.
Mieres (2016) and La Robla (2016) were nothing special and in Buiza (2017) I had a night on my own and it was quite similar to the last two.

Loved Pajares and the great meals cooked by the Hospitalera. Didn't even see a sign for Benduenos but too close anyway.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.