• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Average bike miles

DACamino

Time of past OR future Camino
09/08/18
I am not an avid biker although I ride every day during the week about 10 to 15 miles. Can people who are also riders like me give me biking the camino tell me how many miles/km the are biking from St Jean to Santiago. Also is the biking guide book to purchase that gives the best routes? Perhaps a biking forum? Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola @DACamino you can usually plan on 40 km per day, depending upon where you are on the Camino. Examples (and I am not a fast rider): I did Puente La Reina to Los Acros (mostly on road); Navarette to Santo Domingo (short as I wanted to stay here); Burgos to Castrojeriz and probably could have gone further but was meeting friends here; Castro to Carrion. So yes 40 km is doable and allows time to rest & look around. Cheers;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
DAcamino ......when i rode from SjPP to Santiago it took me 13 days so an average of about 60 klms per day .
I bought a cheap bike just for the camino and did about 4 weeks of 20 odd klms training rides 4 times a week , so you will be a bit fitter than i was when you start .
Of course , there is not much more to do all day than pedal , drink coffee ,so the klms do mount up by late afternoon .

Please buy a bell , and use it , when approaching walkers ....it will be much appreciated .

Enjoy your ride ,as i know i will when i leave Seville on 19th September this year ....only about a month to wait and i am getting excited already '

Last edited:
Hola @DACamino you can usually plan on 40 km per day, depending upon where you are on the Camino. Examples (and I am not a fast rider): I did Puente La Reina to Los Acros (mostly on road); Navarette to Santo Domingo (short as I wanted to stay here); Burgos to Castrojeriz and probably could have gone further but was meeting friends here; Castro to Carrion. So yes 40 km is doable and allows time to rest & look around. Cheers;)
Ok good news. Thanks

DAcamino ......when i rode the from SjPP to Santiago it took me 13 days so an average of about 60 klms per day .
I bought a cheap bike just for the camino and did about 4 weeks of 20 odd klms training rides 4 times a week , so you will be a bit fitter than i was when you start .
Of course , there is not much more to do all day than pedal , drink coffee ,so the klms do mount up by late afternoon .

Please buy a bell , and use it , when approaching walkers ....it will be much appreciated .

Enjoy your ride ,as i know i will when i leave Seville on 19th September this year ....only about a month to wait and i am getting excited already '
Got the bell yesterday. I arrive St Jean on the 9th. Pick up my bike and start on the 11th. Thanks for the info. Most helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think 40KMs per day is on the low side. I did SJPP -> Santiago last year. I'm not a very active cyclist, but still somewhat sportive. I left every day around 8AM and cycled until 4PM. Average kms per day was 80, which makes about 10km/h average (that's including a lot of stops, pictures, eating, etc). Didn't make myself a schedule, just rode as I felt. All in all, I cycled 10 days, with one rest day after 6 days to give my knee a break... What I do think is that cycling is a lot harder on the body than walking. Cycling the camino is a hit on your ankles, knees, ass, back, arms, shoulders, wrists, palms, ... Definitely worth it though ;-)

Are you riding 10 to 15 miles a day normally? If so, you'll easily be able to ride 40km per day, almost certainly double that. I think daily distance depends more on quickly you want to complete your camino than fitness.

Isn't the general rule of thumb that if you cycle daily you'll have no problems up to 50 miles (on the road) per day? I think you can easily do the CF in a week although I think many on this forum might think you're missing the point doing if you do it that quickly.

I think the dutch guidebook is the best for bikers, the maps are easy to follow.

I plan to start the Camino on 9/8/18 from SJPDP averaging about 37mi (60km) per day depending on the climbs. This will put me in Santiago on 9/20/18.

For prepping, I have been riding about 15-20mi a day but more intensely (in about 1 hour) than I plan to ride the Camino. Hoping this has prepared me for the journey.

We will see.... the camino will provide otherwise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you will find it difficult to maintain 60 km per day if riding exclusively on the walkers' path.

At the risk of being accused of repeating myself, this is my view of realistic distances on the CF :

"Our daily distance (average) was as little as 54 kms (Brierley) but 64 in Bikeline. Concealed within these was the occasional horror of 90 kms in order to make a night stop in Burgos. If we were to cycle the CF again, we would be inclined to enforce a maximum daily distance of 60 km if the path were being used to any extent. If you intend to cycle the path exclusively then 45-50 would be enough in my opinion."

We were using a mixture of path and road, depending on times, conditions etc. If cycling in Germany (bike paths which may have hard surfaces, minor roads) I will schedule 80+ km per day without concern.

I cannot say it too often : the path is slow, congested and difficult, at many points. Fitness per se is not the issue : we are long-time hill and road runners (marathons etc). As I have stated elsewhere, we met a fit young man who was determined to average 60 km per day on the path ; by Logrono, he had already been over the handlebars twice.

Do acquire the Esterbauer Bikeline Jakobs-Radweg guide ; text in German but maps excellent (and shows the walkers' path also).

Buen Camino.

I am not an avid biker although I ride every day during the week about 10 to 15 miles. Can people who are also riders like me give me biking the camino tell me how many miles/km the are biking from St Jean to Santiago. Also is the biking guide book to purchase that gives the best routes? Perhaps a biking forum? Thanks

Try km as al signs in Europe km

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back