• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Could pilgrims have an hour in the cathedral to themselves?

Nosila

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte 2015
Camino Primitivo 2016
Having just completed the camino Portuguese, on the day that I got there I just wanted to sit and cry in the cathedral and have a quiet time to reflect on my journey. Instead I was surrounded by crowds of tourists talking and taking photos and a security man trying to keep them quiet by talking into a microphone.
I wondered if it would be an idea to reserve an hour a day just for pilgrims to be in the cathedral. Even if it was at 7 am i think it would be worth it as pilgrims arrive in santiago in such a different space from tourists and we have spent weeks walking to that one place. Wouldn't it be good to honour that and give us some time to ourselves in the cathedral?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have found 7:00am to already be a quiet time in the cathedral and there is usually a side chapel open too. There are also other churches within a few minutes walk of the cathedral and a chapel in the Pilgrim Office too if that works for you.

I wonder whether you would distinguish between walking/cycling/equestrian pilgrims who have undertaken their journey to the cathedral and the many more who have chosen, for whatever reason, to travel by other means? Surely they are entitled to the same opportunity to visit the site of Santiago's tomb and have a similar opportunity for quiet contemplation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Nosila -

Just in case you have yet to be convinced by previous responses, I will add my hearty endorsement to an early morning visit to the Cathedral. I'd guess that I must have made the 7 am visit some 7 or 8 times over the years. It was always so peaceful.

Also, there is a deep, simple and inspiring beauty to that cavernous space without ALL of the highlights being fully illuminated. That precious hour always set me up for a very good rest of the day.

Congratulations on your Camino!

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a quiet Franciscan church near the Parador, actually next to the Parador. In 2014, the parish handed out a Compostela like credential to all Pilgrim Office credential holders. The Fransicans were celebrating the 800TH year of St. Francis's Santiago pilgrimage. I was lucky to receive the document.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's indeed a wonderful church.

We where there to in 2014 and recieve that document to.
The first time we visit this church was in 2013 when I went to Santiago to pick up my wife after her Camino from SJPdP.

I would say walk up to this church and go inside .

ps. Part of the convent is also a fabulous 4-star hotel , San Fransisco Monumento .

Wish you well,Peter.

... Even if it was at 7 am i think it would be worth it as pilgrims arrive in santiago in such a different space from tourists and we have spent weeks walking to that one place. Wouldn't it be good to honour that and give us some time to ourselves in the cathedral?

The cathedral opens at at 7:00 (see http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/es/horarios) and until ~09:00 hardly anybody is in there apart of those going to early morning mass. Whenever I went to the cathedral at those times I had it pretty much to myself, including the crypt with the tomb of St.James. Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a quiet Franciscan church near the Parador, actually next to the Parador. In 2014, the parish handed out a Compostela like credential to all Pilgrim Office credential holders. The Fransicans were celebrating the 800TH year of St. Francis's Santiago pilgrimage. I was lucky to receive the document.
Me too. A lovely church with a very peaceful feel.

I went to la catedral several mornings while we were in Santiago. Not as early as 7:00, but before 9:00. I attended some masses in side chapels that were in foreign languages, but then again so is the the pilgrims mass. It gave me the quiet time that I needed, and allowed me to watch with patience the amazement of the attendees at the pilgrims mass. It can be disruptive during the pilgrims mass, even by other pilgrims, they just get lost in the moment.

I went to la catedral several mornings while we were in Santiago. Not as early as 7:00, but before 9:00. I attended some masses in side chapels that were in foreign languages, but then again so is the the pilgrims mass. It gave me the quiet time that I needed, and allowed me to watch with patience the amazement of the attendees at the pilgrims mass. It can be disruptive during the pilgrims mass, even by other pilgrims, they just get lost in the moment.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm on the inglaise now so I will organise my arrival in santiago so that I can get to the cathedral at 7am and then on to the other churches. X

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having just completed the camino Portuguese, on the day that I got there I just wanted to sit and cry in the cathedral and have a quiet time to reflect on my journey. Instead I was surrounded by crowds of tourists talking and taking photos and a security man trying to keep them quiet by talking into a microphone.
I wondered if it would be an idea to reserve an hour a day just for pilgrims to be in the cathedral. Even if it was at 7 am i think it would be worth it as pilgrims arrive in santiago in such a different space from tourists and we have spent weeks walking to that one place. Wouldn't it be good to honour that and give us some time to ourselves in the cathedral?

Setting aside the Cathedral for only pilgrims is never going to happen...period. So, I have two constructive suggestions:

1. As others suggest, try a side chapel in the Cathedral. Most are open most of the day. the Chapel of the Communion (Capilla de la Comunión) last one on the left, before the main altar, is open all day for Eucharistic Adoration.

Just as a BTW and FYI, for non-Catholics, Eucharistic Adoration is among the most solemn practices in the Faith. Catholics believe that the consecrated host IS the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. So, clearly, the large host exposed in the monstrance atop the altar is deserving of the highest manner of respect and decorum.

So, this is IMHO the quietest chapel, all day. It has glass doors, and the security guys do not permit talking and gawking. Observant folks, or people seeking a quiet place for mediation, will come to this chapel, knowing that the security folks enforce solitude.

2. Failing that, go to the Pilgrim Office. Just off the entry vestibule off Rua da Carretas, the chapel is to the left. The Camino Companions program holds a few mediation sessions there during the day. These are scheduled and posted. However, when not in use, this chapel is an outstanding and quite place to just have a cry or spend some private time "with the Boss."

While I volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, I usually take overwrought pilgrims, and pilgrims in physical pain there. Most folks, even non-Christians find it very comforting. I even supply a packet of tissues...

You can close the hallway doors if the crowds coming to get their Compostelas annoy you. Only pilgrims with credentials are allowed past the security guards into the building. The sole exception to this has been allowing tourists to see the chapel. but, there are VERY few tourists.

I hope this helps.

Me too, a beautiful Compostela to go with the original one, very good memories.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Nosila, What happens in your proposal to a regular worshipper who happens to attend daily at the time allotted only to pilgrims?. I am playing devil's advocate here as I am non-religious.

I wonder whether you would distinguish between walking/cycling/equestrian pilgrims who have undertaken their journey to the cathedral and the many more who have chosen, for whatever reason, to travel by other means? Surely they are entitled to the same opportunity to visit the site of Santiago's tomb and have a similar opportunity for quiet contemplation.
The pilgrim expressed an idea mate why bring your sense of inclusion into it when there was obviously no intention.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The pilgrim expressed an idea mate why bring your sense of inclusion into it when there was obviously no intention.
Why wouldn't you want to include all pilgrims? It strikes me as being rather elitist not to do that. So I think that, were the cathedral authorities to establish a sightseer-free time for prayer, meditation and reflection, anyone wishing to visit for those purposes should be allowed in. I would expect parishioners of the cathedral would get similar treatment.

Why wouldn't you want to include all pilgrims? It strikes me as being rather elitist not to do that. So I think that, were the cathedral authorities to establish a sightseer-free time for prayer, meditation and reflection, anyone wishing to visit for those purposes should be allowed in. I would expect parishioners of the cathedral would get similar treatment.
I don't think there was any intention of excluding any particular group Doug but agree that there are many places to reflect on ones journey and I found the smaller churches ideal, cheers mate

You basically need to just choose the right time -- which is variable from day to day. It's not jam-packed with tourists 24/7.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think there was any intention of excluding any particular group Doug but agree that there are many places to reflect on ones journey and I found the smaller churches ideal, cheers mate
Perhaps you are right. It might have been an unfortunate turn of phrase in @Nosila's post that made me think the proposal was for walking pilgrims.

Perhaps you are right. It might have been an unfortunate turn of phrase in @Nosila's post that made me think the proposal was for walking pilgrims.
I think the original poster's intention is more about finding peace within the walls of this holy church. When I finished my first pilgrimage and came to the church I felt real joy seeing "our" church. I mean this in the most humble and generous way. I am not Catholic, in fact I believe in no religion at all, but I have such a strong bond to this Cathedral and all the pilgrims who enter it. But that first day in Santiago I was completely overcome by the number of the tourists that I was surrounded by. I did find peace that day in the cathedral as it was relatively quiet. So I think what many would like is that all that enter the cathedral respect what the Cathedral represents to so many not just pilgrims. But I know this may not be possible. So 7:00AM meditation is a small price to pay.
One sad note on this topic. As I prepare for Camino 4 I know now I will be up early to sit in my cathedral. I arrived last year from Lisbon in late October and it was in the middle of a long weekend a Spanish holiday. Santiago was packed with tourists, more than I had ever seen. As I stood on the top of the steps waiting to enter the Cathedral for the Pilgrims mass I found myself in the middle of a large group of English speaking tourists from different countries. I was standing next to the tour leader when someone asked about all the people walking around with backpacks, many of them appeared to be quite ragged and dirty. 3 or 4 other tourists chimed in agreeing and asking why they were everywhere. The tour guide looked at me more than a little embarrassed. (good thing I had arrived the day before and had already went to the laundry and washed everything!) She proceeded to explain to them about peregrines and that this has been a journey that has been repeated for centuries to Santiago. So I guess there you have it! Been Camino and with a little understanding and patience we will all be ok.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a note: I´ll bet 75% of those busload tourists consider themselves pilgrims, too. They all have good reasons for not walking to Santiago de Compostela with a backpack strapped on. Many of them are deeply devout, and for them this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience of faith. For others, the travel agent/ parish priest offered a Holy Shrine Pilgrimage, and they paid their money and that´s what they´re gonna get, dammit -- smelly self-righteous backpackers notwithstanding.
A "pilgrims only" hour would quickly become yet another photo op.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.