• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public transport along the Camino del Norte

C

Castilian

The aim of this thread is to make a list of public transport options (other than taxi) available along the Camino del Norte that could be used by anyone planning (or needing once on the ground) to take public transport for part(s) of the route. There are many towns along the Camino del Norte and many possible routes from each town therefore the list is non-exhaustive. To make it easier to consult, the list is divided by Autonomous Communities. Routes from one Autonomous Community to another one are quoted at the start of the list of the arrival Autonomous Community.

CAVEAT: I think all the info is right at the time of writting but info may be incomplete and/or it might be mistakes and/or inaccuracies. There could also be changes in bus and/or train routes that made (part of) the info outdated. Therefore, you must confirm by yourself that whatever route(s) you plan to make are really available on your travel date(s) and what bus or train company (or companies) makes it(them). The links provided on this post may help you to confirm it.

PREVIOUS NOTE: Not all the routes quoted on this post are daily. Some of them might be seasonal. Therefore, check the schedules with relevant bus company.

BASQUE COUNTRY

There are buses and trains among Irún, Pasajes (aka Pasaia) and San Sebastián (aka Donostia). For info about buses: www.lurraldebus.eus By train, you can make the route by Cercanías (commuter) train with RENFE (www.renfe.com) or by narrow gauge Euskotren train (www.euskotren.eus).

There are buses and trains too among San Sebastián (aka Donostia), Orio, Zarautz and Zumaia. For buses take a look at the web of Lurraldebus and for trains at the web of Euskotren. To Getaria, just buses with Lurraldebus.

Lurraldebus has buses too among Zumaia, Itziar and Deba. Euskotren has buses from Zumaia to Deba.

From Deba to Markina-Xemein, AFAIK, there isn't direct transport but you can make the route by bus changing buses in Ondárroa (out of the camino). From Deba to Ondárroa, take a look at the web of Lurraldebus. From Ondárroa to Markina-Xemein, take a look at the web of Bizkaibus.

Bizkaibus has buses among Markina, Bolívar and Munitibar. It also has buses from Munitibar to Gernika.

Bizkaibus has buses too between Gernika and Bilbao. It also offers buses among Labetzu, Lezama and Bilbao. The route from Gernika to Labetzu might be possible changing buses in Morga but confirm it locally.

There are trains and buses among Bilbao, Barakaldo, Sestao and Portugalete. For buses, take a look at the web of Bizkaibus and for trains at the web of RENFE (the area of Cercanías -commuter- trains).

There are buses too from Portugalete to Pobeña.

CANTABRIA

There are buses to Castro Urdiales (and Ontón) from Bilbao and Barakaldo. I didn't found an updated Schedule online so ask for info at the Termibus (bus station) in Bilbao.

There's local bus service between Ontón and Castro Urdiales, ask locally.

Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has buses among Castro Urdiales, Allendelagua, Cerdigo and Laredo.

Alsa has buses too between Laredo and Santoña if the boat linking both towns isn't in service on your travel date.

Alsa has (I think that seasonal) service from Santoña to Noja as well as from Noja to San Miguel de Meruelo.

Autobuses Palomera (www.autobusespalomera.com) has service among San Miguel de Meruelo, Güemes, Galizano, Somo and Santander.

Direct buses from Santoña to Santander are operated both by Alsa and Autobuses Palomera.

The urban buses of Santander make the route from Santander to Peñacastillo.

RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve) has train service among: Santander, Santa Cruz de Bezana, Boo de Piélagos, Mogro, Requejada and Barreda. And Alsa has bus service from Santander and Peñacastillo to Requejada and Barreda.

Alsa has bus service among Barreda, Queveda and Santillana del Mar.

Direct bus service from Santander to Santillana del Mar is operated by La Cantábrica.

La Cantábrica (www.lacantabrica.net) has buses among Santillana del Mar, Oreña, Cobreces, Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera.

Buses between San Vicente de la Barquera and Unquera are operated by both Alsa and Autobuses Palomera. Autobuses Palomera has also bus service from those towns (S. Vicente and Unquera) to Pesués.

ASTURIAS

RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve) has trains among Unquera (the last town in Cantabria), Colombres, Pendueles, Vidiago and Llanes. And Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has buses among Unquera, Pendueles and Llanes.

There are buses and trains among Llanes, Nueva (de Llanes) and Ribadesella. Buses operated by Alsa and trains by RENFE FEVE. Trains stop at Villahormes too.

Alsa has buses among Ribadesella, San Esteban de Leces, Colunga and Villaviciosa.

Alsa makes the route from Villaviciosa to Gijón too. It seems there are also buses from Peón to Gijón operated by Autocares Mariano (www.autocaresmariano.com)

From Gijón to Avilés you can take either a bus with Alsa or a train with RENFE FEVE.

Alsa has buses among Avilés, Soto del Barco, Muros de Nalón and Soto de Luiña. RENFE FEVE has train service among these towns too although to Soto de Luiña the service is direct just out of Muros de Nalón.

There's bus and train service (with Alsa and RENFE FEVE respectively) among Soto de Luiña, Novellana, Ballota and Cadavedo.

Alsa has buses between Cadavedo and Luarca. RENFE FEVE has trains between Cadavedo and Luarca and they stop in San Cristóbal and Canero along the route.

RENFE FEVE has trains among Luarca, Villapedre, Navia and La Caridad. Alsa has buses among Luarca, Otur, Villapedre, Villacerul, Navia, Cartavio and La Caridad.

GALICIA

From La Caridad to Ribadeo, you can either take a bus with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) or a train with RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve)

From Ribadeo, Arriva (www.arriva.gal) has some bus service to Lourenzá and Mondoñedo. If there isn't a direct one that suits you on your travel date, you can make the route changing buses in Foz.

Arriva has bus service among Mondoñedo, Abadín-Gontán, Vilalba and Baamonde.

From Baamonde, there isn't direct transport to Sobrado dos Monxes but you can make the route with Arriva changing buses in Teixeido. Alternatively, if schedules suits you better, you could take a train from Baamonde to Teixeido with RENFE (www.renfe.com) and the Arriva bus from Teixeido to Sobrado dos Monxes.

Empresa Freire (www.empresafreire.com) offers bus service among Sobrado dos Monxes, Boimil, Boimorto and Arzúa.

From Arzúa onwards, take a look at this other thread: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/public-transport-along-the-camino-francés.42118

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Castilian! Jill

thank you Castilian!

I will bookmark this for September.

buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking for the bus provider and route and the times it stops at Sebrayo,. I presume it goes to Villviciosa or Oviedo but when? I have exhausted all kind of sites and avenues without success. Maybe you could give direct help.

I am looking for the bus provider and route and the times it stops at Sebrayo,. I presume it goes to Villviciosa or Oviedo but when? I have exhausted all kind of sites and avenues without success. Maybe you could give direct help.
Have you seen this schedule?
http://www.horarios.info/transporte-de-sebrayo-a-oviedo

For more links re schedules try googling the two terms Sebrayo and autobus.

Good luck and Buen camino!
Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks very much. I have bookmarked your suggestions for our Camino Norte adventure. We start on the 20th of May. Can't wait.

The aim of this thread is to make a list of public transport options (other than taxi) available along the Camino del Norte that could be used by anyone planning (or needing once on the ground) to take public transport for part(s) of the route. There are many towns along the Camino del Norte and many possible routes from each town therefore the list is non-exhaustive. To make it easier to consult, the list is divided by Autonomous Communities. Routes from one Autonomous Community to another one are quoted at the start of the list of the arrival Autonomous Community.

CAVEAT: I think all the info is right at the time of writting but info may be incomplete and/or it might be mistakes and/or inaccuracies. There could also be changes in bus and/or train routes that made (part of) the info outdated. Therefore, you must confirm by yourself that whatever route(s) you plan to make are really available on your travel date(s) and what bus or train company (or companies) makes it(them). The links provided on this post may help you to confirm it.

PREVIOUS NOTE: Not all the routes quoted on this post are daily. Some of them might be seasonal. Therefore, check the schedules with relevant bus company.

BASQUE COUNTRY

There are buses and trains among Irún, Pasajes (aka Pasaia) and San Sebastián (aka Donostia). For info about buses: www.lurraldebus.eus By train, you can make the route by Cercanías (commuter) train with RENFE (www.renfe.com) or by narrow gauge Euskotren train (www.euskotren.eus).

There are buses and trains too among San Sebastián (aka Donostia), Orio, Zarautz and Zumaia. For buses take a look at the web of Lurraldebus and for trains at the web of Euskotren. To Getaria, just buses with Lurraldebus.

Lurraldebus has buses too among Zumaia, Itziar and Deba. Euskotren has buses from Zumaia to Deba.

From Deba to Markina-Xemein, AFAIK, there isn't direct transport but you can make the route by bus changing buses in Ondárroa (out of the camino). From Deba to Ondárroa, take a look at the web of Lurraldebus. From Ondárroa to Markina-Xemein, take a look at the web of Bizkaibus.

Bizkaibus has buses among Markina, Bolívar and Munitibar. It also has buses from Munitibar to Gernika.

Bizkaibus has buses too between Gernika and Bilbao. It also offers buses among Labetzu, Lezama and Bilbao. The route from Gernika to Labetzu might be possible changing buses in Morga but confirm it locally.

There are trains and buses among Bilbao, Barakaldo, Sestao and Portugalete. For buses, take a look at the web of Bizkaibus and for trains at the web of RENFE (the area of Cercanías -commuter- trains).

There are buses too from Portugalete to Pobeña.

CANTABRIA

There are buses to Castro Urdiales (and Ontón) from Bilbao and Barakaldo. I didn't found an updated Schedule online so ask for info at the Termibus (bus station) in Bilbao.

There's local bus service between Ontón and Castro Urdiales, ask locally.

Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has buses among Castro Urdiales, Allendelagua, Cerdigo and Laredo.

Alsa has buses too between Laredo and Santoña if the boat linking both towns isn't in service on your travel date.

Alsa has (I think that seasonal) service from Santoña to Noja as well as from Noja to San Miguel de Meruelo.

Autobuses Palomera (www.autobusespalomera.com) has service among San Miguel de Meruelo, Güemes, Galizano, Somo and Santander.

Direct buses from Santoña to Santander are operated both by Alsa and Autobuses Palomera.

The urban buses of Santander make the route from Santander to Peñacastillo.

RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve) has train service among: Santander, Santa Cruz de Bezana, Boo de Piélagos, Mogro, Requejada and Barreda. And Alsa has bus service from Santander and Peñacastillo to Requejada and Barreda.

Alsa has bus service among Barreda, Queveda and Santillana del Mar.

Direct bus service from Santander to Santillana del Mar is operated by La Cantábrica.

La Cantábrica (www.lacantabrica.net) has buses among Santillana del Mar, Oreña, Cobreces, Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera.

Buses between San Vicente de la Barquera and Unquera are operated by both Alsa and Autobuses Palomera. Autobuses Palomera has also bus service from those towns (S. Vicente and Unquera) to Pesués.

ASTURIAS

RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve) has trains among Unquera (the last town in Cantabria), Colombres, Pendueles, Vidiago and Llanes. And Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has buses among Unquera, Pendueles and Llanes.

There are buses and trains among Llanes, Nueva (de Llanes) and Ribadesella. Buses operated by Alsa and trains by RENFE FEVE. Trains stop at Villahormes too.

Alsa has buses among Ribadesella, San Esteban de Leces, Colunga and Villaviciosa.

Alsa makes the route from Villaviciosa to Gijón too. It seems there are also buses from Peón to Gijón operated by Autocares Mariano (www.autocaresmariano.com)

From Gijón to Avilés you can take either a bus with Alsa or a train with RENFE FEVE.

Alsa has buses among Avilés, Soto del Barco, Muros de Nalón and Soto de Luiña. RENFE FEVE has train service among these towns too although to Soto de Luiña the service is direct just out of Muros de Nalón.

There's bus and train service (with Alsa and RENFE FEVE respectively) among Soto de Luiña, Novellana, Ballota and Cadavedo.

Alsa has buses between Cadavedo and Luarca. RENFE FEVE has trains between Cadavedo and Luarca and they stop in San Cristóbal and Canero along the route.

RENFE FEVE has trains among Luarca, Villapedre, Navia and La Caridad. Alsa has buses among Luarca, Otur, Villapedre, Villacerul, Navia, Cartavio and La Caridad.

GALICIA

From La Caridad to Ribadeo, you can either take a bus with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) or a train with RENFE FEVE (www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve)

From Ribadeo, Arriva (www.arriva.gal) has some bus service to Lourenzá and Mondoñedo. If there isn't a direct one that suits you on your travel date, you can make the route changing buses in Foz.

Arriva has bus service among Mondoñedo, Abadín-Gontán, Vilalba and Baamonde.

From Baamonde, there isn't direct transport to Sobrado dos Monxes but you can make the route with Arriva changing buses in Teixeido. Alternatively, if schedules suits you better, you could take a train from Baamonde to Teixeido with RENFE (www.renfe.com) and the Arriva bus from Teixeido to Sobrado dos Monxes.

Empresa Freire (www.empresafreire.com) offers bus service among Sobrado dos Monxes, Boimil, Boimorto and Arzúa.

From Arzúa onwards, take a look at this other thread: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/public-transport-along-the-camino-francés.42118
This is really useful information which I've been trying to find out about for weeks. Thankyou Maggie

Thank you so much for this- I am on my own and my knees have been completely destroyed by pavement walking to the point where I have not been able to stand- I am so grateful for this. I wish I had known how much road walking there was. I never would have taken this route. Did the Portuguese route 2 years ago and no problems.

There are some great physical therapists in Spain though

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back