• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pontevedra. Torn muscle or tendon in ankle

Val H

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2018)
Im in Pontevedra ... I seem to have torn a muscle or tendon in my ankle. I can barely walk now. Taking ibuprofen.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Im in Pontevedra ... I seem to have torn a muscle or tendon in my ankle. I can barely walk now. Taking ibuprofen.
Seek medical exam. Soon. You may just have a severe strain which will heal quicker or you could be in danger of doing serious damage that could effect years of your life. Seek medical exam.

According to Yelp there is an ortho MD in Pontevedra
https://www.yelp.com/biz/dominguez-vaz-miguel-pontevedra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry to hear this Val.
If you can barely walk, please stop now and have someone qualified look at this. The camino is not going anyplace, but if you try to continue, you may end up with a long-term problem, and it's not worth it.
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Wrap it! If its a strained or torn ligament you need compression to aide in the healing process. You'll need a doctor most likely but they'll have you wrap it. I work w/ sports injuries all the time and besides RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) you'll need to get a proper diagnosis.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you can go to the pharmacia, they can probably recommend a provider or ask the hospitalero where you are staying to either take you or call ahead for you.

I don’t want to take over this post but I am heading to Pontevedra tomorrow and also have an ankle injury. I am hoping to hear where Val goes for treatment. I have not walked on the Camino for 8 days now and the pain in my ankle is showing little improvement. I started out in Lisbon but have been taking transport (metro, bus, taxi , train) along the Camino since the pain became severe and I could hardly weight bear. I only hobblie short distances to restaurants, bus stations etc. I sought out medical treatment about 5 days ago but there was a language barrier. Anyway I was sent away with a note for voltaren and ibuprofen which I have been using . The ibuprofen helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don’t want to take over this post but I am heading to Pontevedra tomorrow and also have an ankle injury. I am hoping to hear where Val goes for treatment. I have not walked on the Camino for 8 days now and the pain in my ankle is showing little improvement. I started out in Lisbon but have been taking transport (metro, bus, taxi , train) along the Camino since the pain became severe and I could hardly weight bear. I only hobblie short distances to restaurants, bus stations etc. I sought out medical treatment about 5 days ago but there was a language barrier. Anyway I was sent away with a note for voltaren and ibuprofen which I have been using . The ibuprofen helps.

Hola

You may call the officina de turismo and ask for help.
They have staff that speak english.

Oficina de Turismo in Pontevedra:
Casa da Luz, Praza da Verdura s/n
36002 - Pontevedra
Teléfono: 986090890
Email: info@visit-pontevedra.com
Web: http://www.visit-pontevedra.com
http://www.visit-pontevedra.com/esp/18/327/oficina+de+turismo+municipal.html

lettinggo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wrap it! If its a strained or torn ligament you need compression to aide in the healing process. You'll need a doctor most likely but they'll have you wrap it. I work w/ sports injuries all the time and besides RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) you'll need to get a proper diagnosis.
Thanks for your reply. I have done ice compress and elevate and can rest today but have only 3 days left to reach Santiago and then my flight home! I hope I can do it ...

Thanks for your reply. I have done ice compress and elevate and can rest today but have only 3 days left to reach Santiago and then my flight home! I hope I can do it ...
I hope you can do it too. Did you end up going somewhere for medical treatment in Pontevedra?

I hope you can do it too. Did you end up going somewhere for medical treatment in Pontevedra?
Hi yes I went to a medical centre but the doctor didn't speak English and I can't speak Spanish ... I think he said rest, ice and ibuprofen. I tried to ask if walking would make it worse but neither of us understood

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to everyone who responded . I managed the last few days and have now been home for a week. Diagnosed back home with severe tendonitis in both Achilles tendons. Walking as little as possible but that's tricky as I live on my own, also ibuprofen and arch supports and stretching exer

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.