• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Year Turns

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yule. I'll spend tonight in anticipation of the Suns return and then I'll party till the logs burned through (the harder the log the longer the party ;)). Some of you'll have to wait a few more days for your sons return. Some will probably just smile and join or not join the festivities that surround them.

Whatever your bent I wish you health, wealth and happiness and comfort on your paths to glory.

Seasons greetings to you all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yule. I'll spend tonight in anticipation of the Suns return and then I'll party till the logs burned through (the harder the log the longer the party ;)). Some of you'll have to wait a few more days for your sons return. Some will probably just smile and join or not join the festivities that surround them.

Whatever your bent I wish you health, wealth and happiness and comfort on your paths to glory.

And to you, Tincatinker. Some day you might think of putting your name in for the draw to be one of the few who get inside the tomb at Newgrange at this time of year. I have never been in on that date, but it certainly gives cause to ponder the mysteries of here and there... have a wonderful party. i have just relocated the cyber logs website to use on Christmas Day, given that we have no real fire any more!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And to you, Tincatinker. Some day you might think of putting your name in for the draw to be one of the few who get inside the tomb at Newgrange at this time of year. I have never been in on that date, but it certainly gives cause to ponder the mysteries of here and there... have a wonderful party. i have just relocated the cyber logs website to use on Christmas Day, given that we have no real fire any more!

Newgrange I would love to visit; at Solstice would be very special.

Cyber logs will appeal to some of the youngsters: If the fire lasts forever so does to the party :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aren't you lovely people in the far North celebrating a trifle early? As I understand it (from my almanac!!??), the solstice will be around 9.22 AEDT Saturday morning 22 Dec (or 23.22 Friday night in Spain) (or 22.22 UTC/GMT) . Make your own adjustments!! Have a great long night!!

Aren't you lovely people in the far North celebrating a trifle early? As I understand it (from my almanac!!??), the solstice will be around 9.22 AEDT Saturday morning 22 Dec (or 23.22 Friday night in Spain) (or 22.22 UTC/GMT) . Make your own adjustments!!
I haven't bothered to work out whether the longest night is this night (Fri to Sat) or last night (Thu to Fri) but the day with the least amount of daylight time ("shortest day") is definitely today Friday 21st, and tomorrow will be already longer, by a grand total of less than a second. It's usually only some time in January that I notice that the days are actually getting longer again. 🤓

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@3109642

What's more interesting to me when walking, however, is the time of sunset: the day with the earliest sunset lies already well behind us. However, the days with the latest sunrise are still to come. Contrary to what one might expect, neither of these happen on the day of the winter solstice itself but several days before and after (depends a bit on the location).

And apologies for my serious deficiency of feeling romantic or nostalgic when it it comes to stuff to do with astronomy 😎.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Blessed Solstice to you as well! I was too fatigued to stay up all night, but I did rise in the wee hours to light a candle, give thanks, and bake some fresh bread before greeting the morning sun 🌞. Best wishes to all for happy and safe holidays, and a prosperous New Year!
37EBC981-1D7F-4014-A25B-9CF4A217729D.jpeg

Blessed Solstice to you as well! I was too fatigued to stay up all night, but I did rise in the wee hours to light a candle, give thanks, and bake some fresh bread before greeting the morning sun 🌞. Best wishes to all for happy and safe holidays, and a prosperous New Year!
View attachment 50061
Lady baking fresh bread that looks really good, will you marry me?

My "Holiday Season" is now complete! I've found a place here in Dixieland that will sell me a gen-hugh-wine "Made in Spain" Santiago Cake! :D Miracles happen! ... (I'll save a slice for Tincatinker, and a place by the fire, if he'll have them..... Southern hospitality, and all that!)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My "Holiday Season" is now complete! I've found a place here in Dixieland that will sell me a gen-hugh-wine "Made in Spain" Santiago Cake! :D Miracles happen! ... (I'll save a slice for Tincatinker, and a place by the fire, if he'll have them them..... Southern hospitality, and all that!)
I'll break bread (or Santiago Cake) with any good soul. If I ever get across the pond I'll look you up Rev ;)

Some of you'll have to wait a few more days for your sons return.
I don't have any sons, so I have just figured out to what this refers and that there are not a large number of forum members waiting for the knock at the door, unless it is for family members arriving for Christmas festivities. As a resident of Calgary, I am more than happy to wish a joyous Sunreturn to all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Catholic year 'turned' about three weeks back, didn't it? At least, it did in my little parish.... :)

Pax

Mine, too. Christmas is the holiday I celebrate this time of year. 🎄

HOWEVER. The winter solstice is maybe my favorite day of the whole year, as daylight now begins to increase. 🌞🌞 Oh, happy day! I am not a fan of darkness. Happy solstice to everyone. What's not to like? 😊

Some will probably just smile and join or not join the festivities that surround them.
Yup.:)
I'm a bit late to the party, but wishing you all a joyous return of the light, whichever form it takes.
Light is light is light.

(Loving this thread, Tinca, thank you.
I've learned about a few things this morning, which makes for a happy day. The people who built Newgrange did not have timeanddate.com. It's a wonderful resource for us...and that they did what they did without it is inspiring.

Off topic but I found this about Newgrange. What an amazing place it is...it must have been magnificent in its day.
From another site there is this inspiring quote:
"The builders must have sat here on the hillside, perhaps for a number of years, at the winter solstice period, watching the point of sunrise moving southward along the horizon, eventually determining the point where it began to turn back again. Having established this, they could then have put a line of pegs into the ground and laid out the plan of the passage.' However, there was one more problem to resolve. The roofbox would have had to have been precisely aligned to the horizon and, as each of the stone slabs weighs about a ton, the position of the slit would have had to have been determined before the building began. Add to this the fact that the tomb was built on a hill, with the chamber 6ft (1.8m) above the entrance, and the achievement of the builders of Newgrange is all the more astounding. ")

Sorry...back on track:
Happy new year, one and all!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back