• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Needed rest area, accommodation etc

Chase

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino July 2018 & June 2016
Hello, my wife and I have done Frances & Portugese caminos and enjoyed ourselves so much that we are playing with idea of opening a rest area/small accommodation (not albergue). This summer we plan on looking for ideal location wanted to ask you all if you could share your opinion. Basically, as you walked was there a place you remembered saying to yourself " this would be a good place for a rest spot why isn't there one here?

thanks

chase

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, my wife and I have done Frances & Portugese caminos and enjoyed ourselves so much that we are playing with idea of opening a rest area/small accommodation (not albergue). This summer we plan on looking for ideal location wanted to ask you all if you could share your opinion. Basically, as you walked was there a place you remembered saying to yourself " this would be a good place for a rest spot why isn't there one here?

thanks

chase
Hola!

Which Camino did you have in mind? Because lots of us could give you plenty ideas on less walked Caminos where such places would really be much appreciated due to lack of (pilgrim) infrastructure;)

Well our searching trip this summer will be northern Spain from Astorga to Hondarribia so Frances and above. we will spend a few days in each automous section so Asturias, Castile Y Leon, Cantabria, Basque Country & La Rioja.

thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that a cafe would be better - and specifically an "English cafe"!
if you want a mobile space then the halt at the top of the steep hill out of Castrojeriz is perfect - not one person would pass without buying an ice cream!!
I passed there on a cold, windy, sleeting day in late April. No ice cream needed for me...brrr! 😄

A selection of Camino Jewellery

thanks

chase

Chase:

The CF has filled in so much that there are not a lot of open stretches anymore.

The Hilltop after Castrojerez is a great vista, especially to watch the sunrise. It also follows a short but steep climb and many stop to rest there. That said, it is a short distance from a full service Pueblo.

The stretch after Carrion de los Condes is empty for about 17km's where a David like refreshment stand might be welcome. Especially in the warmer months.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
That 17km stretch isn't always empty. Approximately halfway there is large (I think made of bricks) shed on the left and on the right are few trees. In 2011 there was a van selling refreshments and snacks. Also in 2016 my friend stopped there. I don't know about rest of the years but I do remember post about walking past it late afternoon and the van was already gone. I don't know what the deal there is and opening hours but the spot might be already taken.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Things come and go along that stretch, it is all privately owned farmland and supposedly not "zoned" for businesses. That is why the hotdog stand that appears there at random comes and goes.
There isn´t potable water or sewerage infrastructure, either, which limits your ability to set up a stable cafe. People with food trucks, vans, and the like come and go, too. It is very seasonal, and the traffic is not steady, so it is tough to form a stable business plan on such a site. It is ideal for people who want to help out for a little while at high season, then move on. For a long-term business, no. It´s just too lonely out there!

... the David site just before San Justo is open now, according to local lore. David´s left, and the Italian guy who too k over was seen this week in Astorga in a not very good mental state.

Things come and go along that stretch, it is all privately owned farmland and supposedly not "zoned" for businesses. That is why the hotdog stand that appears there at random comes and goes.
There isn´t potable water or sewerage infrastructure, either, which limits your ability to set up a stable cafe. People with food trucks, vans, and the like come and go, too. It is very seasonal, and the traffic is not steady, so it is tough to form a stable business plan on such a site. It is ideal for people who want to help out for a little while at high season, then move on. For a long-term business, no. It´s just too lonely out there!
For me personally it would be ideal to have some kind of business right there. I like being in lonely places. Ahhhhh, all the walkers long gone in late afternoon/early evening, my legs stretched on the chair, cold beer in my lap and then that special Meseta light kicks in, what a bliss that would be :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info... will look into those areas for sure... so right now, in addition to what was mentioned here I am also looking in these areas; Sahagun, Santa Catalina de Somoza, ,Viloria de rioja anyone familiar with these locations?

I think a cafe that serves good coffee and cake, and savoury food could become popular and spread by word of mouth. Perhaps somewhere before Astorga, there is the park area with the pilgrim sculptures and before Sahagun, where I got a bit lost finding my way into town.

we have those places on our list. What about accommodations? we aren't looking to open an albergue but will have extra rooms for those folks who just couldnt find a place.. we recall meeting people on the camino who were so tired and were walking until they found a place to stay... we wont be advertising it but thought it would be nice to have space for that unlucky person.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On one of the early stages of the CF I remember albergue in Zariquiegui closed couple of years ago. Don't remember a bar or restaurant either.

Approximatelly half way from Villamayor de Monjardin to Los Arcos there used to be a "hospital" which is now in ruins. It's the only structure on that stretch of 12km if I remember well. A bit uphill some 50-100 meters in the field on the righthand side of the Camino. Maybe that would be for sale? But I haven't seen any electricity line and agua potable might also be a problem.

On the variante from Azofra to Ciruena (if you want to visit the monastery in Canas) there is quite a lot of road walking although with almost non-existent traffic and I also don't remember any infrastructure a pilgrim can use.

I doubt Viloria de la Rioja would be a good spot for your intentions. It already has two albergues (one of them quite famous because P.Coelho was a godfather) and a hotel and maybe even more important is that Belorado with plenty of infrastructure is just 8 km ahead.

There's a stretch between El Burgo Ranero and Reliegos with nothing, just a long straight senda alongside tarmaced minor road. But there is a village of Villamarco some 200m to the left a bit after the halfpoint of this leg. As I know Villamarco has nothing yet. Might not be the right location because the villages before and after has plenty of infrastructure although I experienced bed shortage in June 2016 in El Burgo Ranero.

Fresno del Camino and Chozas de Abajo after Leon have bar/restaurant but no places to sleep. Might be worth of taking a peek because a lot of people start walking in Leon and both options would make short day for them after a long journey from home, jetlagged etc.

Again I doubt Sta.Catalina de Somoza would be good option. On the stretch from Astorga to Foncebadon (25km) there are 17 albergues not to mention hotels and casa rurales.

Fuentesnuevas, 7km after Ponferrada doesn't have albergue.

I think there might be some interesting places in small villages between Molinaseca and Sarria (on both variants): https://www.gronze.com/etapa/triacastela/sarria

Well, from Sarria on you can search for a village without bar and/or albergue with a magnifying glass :D

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sounds like you should live out there yourself if you aren't already.. thanks again... lots to research...

sounds like you should live out there yourself if you aren't already.. thanks again... lots to research...
I should walk at least half of the year every year (in let's say two stints) and that's what I would call really "living" out there ;)

Wish you successfull research in upcoming New Year!

As Others have mentioned the CF is well provided and I suspect you might be stepping on some locals who need cafes or refreshment stops for their livlihood. There would be many other routes where something would be appreciated..the VDLP,Levante,Lana,Catalan etc etc

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very true Omar, which is why we are looking for places where there is a need..

thanks

Very true Omar, which is why we are looking for places where there is a need..

thanks
It's a bit of a juggling act..finding somewhere that is needed coupled with enough patronage to make it worth while. The Arch of Capara..comes to mind as its on a long 40km day and is also bit of a tourist spot

yes, lots to juggle but we are not in a rush, this is a part of our retirement plan and we are looking to be helpful and active in our retirement... what better way or place...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is on the Primitivo in Asturias — Every time I walk through the nearly if not totally abandoned village of Montefurado, I think it would be a great place for an alberue or café. People will have walked either from Campielo/Borres and over the Hospitales route, or up the steeper climb from Pola de Allande, with no place to stop along the way. Sometimes there is a trailer with some drinks at the top of the climb (puerto de Palo), but that’s about it. It is after a killer descent, down from puerto de Palo and is one of those villages with falling down stone houses that coud be just beautiful with a lot of euros to invest. I have no idea of whether that is feasible or practical, but it would be a popular stop, I am willing to wager.

The Primitivo is getting crowded, and Montefurado is after the merge of the two alternatives, so there would be a lot of pilgrims going by — but no one else!

Villamarco stands out for me, too. The village is about 1 km. off the camino, but the intersection with the camino has a very well-used picnic area where a drinks stand would certainly not go amiss in high season!
In winter, though? No.

This is an informative and Serious thread providing info about areas might be neglected! I like this thread.

Based on my (limited) experience, from Sarria - Portomarin 22.7km is fine. But the 2nd half of the route is not very easy, and before entering Portomarin we have to climb up a Huge ladder which is scaring.

To avoid the huge ladder, I have to walk further 7.7km to stay overnight at Gonzar. It is impossible for me to walk 30.4km a day. If there is an albergue on the green area after Portomarin, it would be nice. This is just my experience, not any suggestion.

Best wishes for Chase to find your ideal land.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for info and feed back. All very helpful and included in our plans this summer. We’ve been scoping out each of the areas listed and will have a great time exploring them all... one step at a time toward the dream.....

Thanks

we have those places on our list. What about accommodations? we aren't looking to open an albergue but will have extra rooms for those folks who just couldnt find a place.. we recall meeting people on the camino who were so tired and were walking until they found a place to stay... we wont be advertising it but thought it would be nice to have space for that unlucky person.
I just finished a large segment of the Frances for the second time and found, yet again, that after climbing O’Cebreiro and trying to continue on is difficult because of lack of accommodations. There is finally an albergue in Linares but it gets filled quickly and I saw many pilgrims forced to move on and find something. It is quite rural and none of the towns before Triacastela have much to offer. It’s surprising really. The top of Alto do Poio is a forlorn place with one bar doing all the business. The other shall not be mentioned after a terrible experience there 7 years ago. Before the new Linares albergue we had to walk on and on after the O’Cebreiro climb until we collapsed on that miserable Alto do Poio.

I was lucky to get a bed at Linares but there was no place to eat in town. A small supermarket but the albergue had a good kitchen so the pilgrims cooked that night. There were also quite a lot of leftovers in the kitchen. A great new albergue. Small dorms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes,Linares needs a restaurant and another albergue with more beds and then that stretch won’t be so fearsome. O’Cebreiro is crowded and touristy and if you don’t relish the municipal albergue, it’s a problem. By that time on my walk, I was in a quiet place within and not in the mood to party on the mountain. This is a culmination point on the Frances for some pilgrims, and it would be wonderful to find a refuge near there.

thanks, this is helpful info.. haven't seen anything for sale around there but i will keep looking..

thank you so much... we will be in that area in a two weeks doing our search in person...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.