• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

advice from Camino experts?

Suz Siberia

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hi - I have walked the CF last March on my own - snow, rain, sun - i loved every minute. I am in my 60's and the infrastructure of the Frances was ....comforting... - though I must admit the section from Sarria was not a favourite...beautiful but just not really for me.
I am walking alone again late September and October this year - I have looked at the Norte, Portugeuse, Via de la Plata, Le Puy from Cahors, Madrid.... - now I am just confused. Can someone advise which camino is the simpliest to walk after the Frances... I think it sounds like the Portugeuse - Central route. Commencing in Lisbon and completo in Porto - would this have infrastructure that would suit walking 20 - 25 klms per day? Many thanks Suz

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning on doing the Camino Portugués next year, so what I'm about to say is from research alone and not experience, but I believe the infrastructure is better from Porto to SDC than from Lisbon to Porto, so maybe that would be a better option. I've got a blog post regarding this that may be of some use: http://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/2019/01/a-plan-is-hatched.html#more. I hope this helps.

Buen Camino :)

VdlP has a couple of stages longer than 25km, but other than that infrastructure is excellent.
Madrid is excellent. San Salvador and Primitivo combo too!
Any would be easy enough. I've met first-timers on each route I've done.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
VdlP has a couple of stages longer than 25km, but other than that infrastructure is excellent.
Madrid is excellent. San Salvador and Primitivo combo too!
Any would be easy enough. I've met first-timers on each route I've done.
They all sound great - thank you - which would you have done if you were walking on you own...?

They all sound great - thank you - which would you have done if you were walking on you own...?
I just walked the Madrid on my own, which was my first solo walk. I was hoping for a solitary time but still had someone sharing accommodations every night but one. If you wanted companionship in the evenings any of the other options had more people. Depends what you're looking for!
I'd walk anywhere on my own now!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would also suggest, you do the Portuguese from Porto. Infrastructure is almost as good as on the Camino Frances. You can do stages of +/-20-25 km with no problem. Not much climbing, nice towns, nice local people and nice food. Company of other pilgrims, but not as crowded as the CF after Sarria.

BC
Alexandra

I would also suggest, you do the Portuguese from Porto. Infrastructure is almost as good as on the Camino Frances. You can do stages of +/-20-25 km with no problem. Not much climbing, nice towns, nice local people and nice food. Company of other pilgrims, but not as crowded as the CF after Sarria.

BC
Alexandra

OMG, Alexandra, we posted at the same time with the same content! Agree 100% with you :)
I did that route last year and loved every minute.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have huge affection for Porto-SdC. I walked in November and sometimes 8-10 people in an albergue, but quite often alone.
I loved Madrid too in May and November and met VERY VERY few others. And I loved it.
Infrastructure on each is near perfect.
Another vote for Porto Santiago, either path central or coastal.

I am walking the month of June in Portugal, first the Fisherman's Way in the south, then the Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago via the Spiritual Variant. All these posts are another encouragement for me as I have sometimes wondered if I am taking a step "backwards" to do this route. I have walked the Frances twice, Norte/Primitivo and a large portion of the Le Puy...all beautiful. I do love villages and am hoping when I turn on to the central route at Vila de Condes it will live up to my expectations from what I read.

All these posts are another encouragement for me as I have sometimes wondered if I am taking a step "backwards" to do this route.

Why do you think it could be seen as a step backwards? Because it is shorter?
As the saying goes, "it's not about the length of the wand, but the magic it can do" :)

The only thing that is not so nice in the Portuguese are the cobblestones / asphalt. Everything else is great!

Why do you think it could be seen as a step backwards? Because it is shorter?
As the saying goes, "it's not about the length of the wand, but the magic it can do" :)

The only thing that is not so nice in the Portuguese are the cobblestones / asphalt. Everything else is great!
No, not because it's shorter, but because some say less scenic and less interesting views compared to the others. I am quite confident I will be pleasantly surprised and love it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No, not because it's shorter, but because some say less scenic and less interesting views compared to the others. I am quite confident I will be pleasantly surprised and love it!
I am one of the Porto to Santiago naysayers - but my comments were more about telling others what I found rather than saying I didn't like it - it's a village-to-village walk rather than big expanses through nature and if I'd known that beforehand I'd not have been surprised by it. Subsequently I've sent two couples on this route and they both loved it (in both cases it was their first camino and now they're planning to do more!)
I was told by some that the Madrid route was particularly underwhelming and so I went with very low expectations and LOVED it. @Camino Chris I hope the same for you!

Hi - I have walked the CF last March on my own - snow, rain, sun - i loved every minute. I am in my 60's and the infrastructure of the Frances was ....comforting... - though I must admit the section from Sarria was not a favourite...beautiful but just not really for me.
I am walking alone again late September and October this year - I have looked at the Norte, Portugeuse, Via de la Plata, Le Puy from Cahors, Madrid.... - now I am just confused. Can someone advise which camino is the simpliest to walk after the Frances... I think it sounds like the Portugeuse - Central route. Commencing in Lisbon and completo in Porto - would this have infrastructure that would suit walking 20 - 25 klms per day? Many thanks Suz

yep, the Portuguese, enough services, less pilgrims, lots of arrows
Buen CAmino

I am walking the month of June in Portugal, first the Fisherman's Way in the south, then the Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago via the Spiritual Variant. All these posts are another encouragement for me as I have sometimes wondered if I am taking a step "backwards" to do this route. I have walked the Frances twice, Norte/Primitivo and a large portion of the Le Puy...all beautiful. I do love villages and am hoping when I turn on to the central route at Vila de Condes it will live up to my expectations from what I read.
Chris,
I hope the Fisherman's Way will bring as much joy and wonder as it did to me. It's a real treat.
On my part, in June, I'll be walking the Manchego, part of the Via Serrana and the Camino de Uclés.
Can't wait.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back