• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An unusual medical ailment

adrianm4492

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Mar-Apr 2017, Jan-Feb 2019
Long time reader, second time poster. Thanks for all the hints and tips.
So I've just arrived into SJPdP for my second Camino. But until a couple of days it was looking like not happening due to a very unusual ailment. I'm wondering if anyone has had something more unusual potentially sabotage their walk.
I was in Bolivia in December and spent a week in the Amazon there. I got what I thought were four infected mosquito bites around my ankles that just wouldn't heal. In fact they got slowly worse to the point where I seriously considered cancelling my walk. Antibiotics did nothing to help.
Then a couple of days ago I was in my room in Paris and noticed something sticking out of one of the wounds. When I grabbed it, to my horror, it moved! I tugged it out to discover a one centimetre long maggot. (apologies if you're eating). Three more maggots came out that night and the last stubborn bugger came out yesterday. Turns out bot flies had used mosquitoes to lay their eggs inside my legs. Disgusting, but fascinating at the same time.
Can anyone match this for bizarre ailments threatening their Camino? Very excited to start my winter walk. Weather is perfect today, hopefully it keeps up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For treatment of bot fly they suggest putting petroleum jelly over location.

My camino was almost ruined when this little guy later ran off with my trekking poles:

alien-chest.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So I've just arrived into SJPdP for my second Camino. But until a couple of days it was looking like not happening due to a very unusual ailment. I'm wondering if anyone has had something more unusual potentially sabotage their walk.
I was in Bolivia in December and spent a week in the Amazon there. I got what I thought were four infected mosquito bites around my ankles that just wouldn't heal. In fact they got slowly worse to the point where I seriously considered cancelling my walk. Antibiotics did nothing to help.
Then a couple of days ago I was in my room in Paris and noticed something sticking out of one of the wounds. When I grabbed it, to my horror, it moved! I tugged it out to discover a one centimetre long maggot. (apologies if you're eating). Three more maggots came out that night and the last stubborn bugger came out yesterday. Turns out bot flies had used mosquitoes to lay their eggs inside my legs. Disgusting, but fascinating at the same time.
Can anyone match this for bizarre ailments threatening their Camino? Very excited to start my winter walk. Weather is perfect today, hopefully it keeps up.

I began reading about this. Then I decided I do not need to. Glad you are not carrying anything not on your packing list, so do have a buen camino, minus bot flies.

We had that happen to our dog. It was a bit creepy. It must have been horrifying, i mean fascinating to watch. I'm a nurse, but i probably would have screamed just a little.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The good thing about maggots is that the wound is clean. They eat all the infected bits. As a theatre nurse we used to use hydrogen peroxide (which my mother used as ear drops). It will cause them to ‘bubble’ out. I think all pharmacies should sell it. You can then use vinegar thereafter. Hope you sort it out soon. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The good thing about maggots is that the wound is clean. They eat all the infected bits. As a theatre nurse we used to use hydrogen peroxide (which my mother used as ear drops). It will cause them to ‘bubble’ out. I think all pharmacies should sell it. You can then use vinegar thereafter. Hope you sort it out soon. Buen Camino
Here, here! My mother always told about hydrogen peroxide from when I was young. Works wonders on open wounds

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
eeeeeuuugh! So glad you got rid of those freeloaders before you started your hike! What did you do with them, once they came into the light? Flush them down the loo?
Actually I gave them to the doctors I saw in Paris. They were fascinated and thought it was "wonderful ". I kid you not. Felt like I was in an episode of House the way they all gathered around poking, prodding and videoing it all for training purposes!

€83,-
You were bitten by a bott fly - I’ve lived in Central America for 17 years. Easiest local remedy - put duct tape over the bites😋

Yuck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Can’t match it, but after re-reading it, you sound such a cool cucumber, I hope you write a few posts as you walk along on your camino. Master of understatement. As in, well, snakes almost bit my head off. Did you see that lovely sunset?

Can’t match it, but after re-reading it, you sound such a cool cucumber, I hope you write a few posts as you walk along on your camino. Master of understatement. As in, well, snakes almost bit my head off. Did you see that lovely sunset?
Hehe, well I am from Australia. If I was really tough I would have cooked them and ate them! Will probably post from time to time. I have got a lot from this forum and it would be good to give something back.

€83,-
Similar thing happened to a close friend of mine after her return from The Gambia - Tumbu fly larvae (similar to bot fly). One of the larvae didn't hatch and required surgical removal and a course of antibiotics. Glad it all worked out for you.

Be grateful you weren't bitten on the eye :eek:
That would be bad. According to the literature, the scrotum and (for women) the breasts are common sites to be affected. I think that this might be because the flies can lay eggs on laundry that is hung outside. I have heard that ironing your underwear is advisable in regions with Tumbu fly for this reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, I lived in Brazil for many years (not close to the Amazon, though). We always heard of bot flies, and every now and then my friends' cows would have issues with them.
The way my acquaintances dealt with it was to cut a sucullent cube of bacon or salami and put it with a bandage over the wound. The maggots would them go towards it, because appearantly bacon is tastier than humans. And they crawl out by themselves.

We were always terrified of it happening to us. Now I could not avoid having a chuckle imagining you walking the camino with bacon around your ankle! Luckly Spain has amazing jamón!

OMG!!! I am sorry you've had to endure this malady, but actually it's not all that uncommon when traveling in these areas! I worked in the medical field and know about it. But you are very brave indeed. I am not so sure I would have had the courage to start the walk. Good luck!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.