• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over Thinking and Planning you Camino

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
I have been planning my Camino now for over a year and leave St Jean Pied du Port on 20 March. Now here's a question. Do we put to much effort into forward planning the route and all that goes with it? Does this take away the spontaneity and the fun of the unknown with so much information available including videos of the route. I'v tried to avoid looking to much but I am afraid I have fallen into the habit of checking all the forums for advice. Look forward to meeting some fellow travellers along the way from the 20 March onwards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not long to wait now then. I am departing SJPdP 26 April.

I think the over planning comes from excited anticipation rather than from necessity. I have walked the Frances twice and this will be my third visit. I am not going to book any accommodation other than Roncevalles. I did that a few times, especially walking with fellow worriers, and regretted the lack of spontaneity

Buen Camino

I think informing yourself is great, for example knowing what equipment works well, what things on the way you really don’t want to miss, what pitfalls to avoid etc.

But the important bit is not to tie yourself to your plans. Once you’re on the Camino, go with the flow, and the knowledge you’ve gleaned beforehand will help you not be afraid of going with the flow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that many people do over-think and over-plan. For those with work and home ties it can be quite complicated to disentangle oneself from them for long enough to walk a Camino. But the practicalities of walking a Camino can be reduced to something very simple and straightforward. Especially the Camino Frances where there is a huge infrastructure and all the information one may need readily available. I walked my first Camino without ever having seen a single second of video of the Caminos or reading a single word about the Caminos on the internet. Coming to it with relatively little advance knowledge and few preconceptions was a bonus I think in retrospect. I am flying to Spain on Saturday to walk 400km or so on the Camino Mozarabe. A decision I made less than a week ago prompted mostly by discovering cheap flights from my local airport. In the past couple of days I have found enough information to make me believe the route is practical and likely to prove enjoyable for me. I would rather enjoy the gradual revelation of the path as I walk it than walk every part of it virtually online in advance.

I have been planning my Camino now for over a year and leave St Jean Pied du Port on 20 March. Now here's a question. Do we put to much effort into forward planning the route and all that goes with it? Does this take away the spontaneity and the fun of the unknown with so much information available including videos of the route. I'v tried to avoid looking to much but I am afraid I have fallen into the habit of checking all the forums for advice. Look forward to meeting some fellow travellers along the way from the 20 March onwards.

Not at all, I like to plan things out so I can make informed decisions on the trail; I think this affords you to be much more spontaneous. I constantly deviate from what I plan, and feel comfortable enough to do so because I have a sense of what to expect from pre planning... Do I feel like walking two stages today? Do I want to wake up early this day to catch the sunrise from this peak?

Being that the Camino Frances is a well marked path, with logistics and infrastructure from SJPdP all the way to Finisterre, includes food, accommodation, water, shoppes, outdoor gear stores etc, so much so that you can arrive in Spain with just the clothes on your back and completely equip yourself well for the walk in about an hour upon arrival....I would say yes, it can be and is over planned and over thought at times.
It is not a dangerous undertaking in modern times and the price for being slightly under prepared due to being relaxed and spontaneous is not sickness, death, maiming etc but simply a detour to find a shoppe to buy what you should have brought.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of us like to walk the same camino path more than once. Knowing there are few 'surprises' in terms of the logistics can mean there's more freedom to enjoy the company of others, or get lost in one's own thoughts.

So don't feel bad about it! If you're a 'planner', the planning can be a joy in itself - I'm sure it's given you countless hours of fun. Actually walking the camino will bring joys of a different kind. So it's all good :)

One factor that leads a person to agonize over preparation and planning is not having any experience in what you are thinking about undertaking. Think about it as it applies to a newbie wanting to do a Camino who has:
  • Never traveled internationally OR
  • Never traveled without being part of a planned tour.
  • Never has walked or backpacked for long, multi-day distances.
  • Never has had to deal with navigation issues as they pertain to long distance walking in a foreign country.
  • No background knowledge of backpacking or hiking gear or clothing.
  • Never waited until the end of a day to find lodging.
  • There is no familiarity with a Camino infrastructure like albergues, pilgrim menus, water, public restrooms, Yellow Arrows, etc
And that is just some of the major stuff for a newbie to wrap their head around. Budgets, how to replenish cash and forms of payment and foreign currency stuff like exchange rates, getting someone to look after pets, paying monthly bills while traveling, medical care while traveling...... lots of stuff for a beginner to handle.

For me, I can head to my gear closet, make quick decisions about which backpack, sleeping bag or quilt, clothing, and footwear to use. I can have everything I need all packed and ready to go within an hour. And that includes paperwork, passport, money and debit cards, and the sundries, like medications and stuff to do during the flight. I even have a laminated checklist that I can pull out of my files and leave so that Jill knows what stuff that I do that she needs to do while I'm gone.

And almost all of the stuff that must be decided upon has multiple choices as to what will work best. Not to mention all the time it takes to pick the two most essential pieces of gear: a good backpack and footwear.

The more experience one has, the less effort and time it takes to plan a Camino. Which is one of the great things about this Forum; it gives newbies a place to go and get questions answered to help them as they plan. :)

I have told this story from time to time on this Forum and I think it worth repeating.

On my second Camino, I met a very skilled surgeon from the United States who was a complete and total perfectionist. In planning his Camino, he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, poured over elevation charts, and looked up historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy in 1944 took less planning. He was so precise that he booked a room for every night along the way to Santiago--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been done before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of art work that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell in with a Camino family. He loved his Camino family and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous. They were living in the moment. As a result, they would not decide on where to stop for the night until mid-afternoon each day. Rarely did his Camino family stop where he had a reservation.

His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had his room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this odd behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same town as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he look left, then right, and then leaned in toward me to make sure no one could hear his answer. In a hushed voice he quietly said, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of time."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi! The answers to your two questions? Yes it does and Yes it does - but don't worry, your frontal brain is beavering away trying to sort out everything because it is scared - but it is really trying to sort out the unknown so everything it comes up with is fiction - how else could it be?

Is ok, lots of people do the same - just tear up your plan at breakfast on your second morning and then just wing it - take it all as it comes - All will be well - All is Well ;)

Planning and being prepared most often leads to a successful venture; yet, flying by the seat of your pants may lead you to the same destination. Do what feels good to you.
For me, it is best to be knowledgeable about history, knowing about good places to stay and/or eat, and different paths to walk in order to enjoy certain things. However, when I am on the Way it is my heart that leads and not a plan.

Last edited:

Walkingboy:

The CF really requires little to no planning.

Go out and buy good shoes or boots and break them in.
Listen to your body and address issues like a rub, pain, swelling etc.
Walk at your pace.
Pack light, use packing lists as a guide.
You will pack to much and learn how little you need. Your list will include items that give you comfort.
Day to day, just let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I plan just enough so that I can be spontaneous, if that makes any sense. My main goal in planning is to know whether my overall timeframe is doable. I don’t get hung up on planning day by day. It’d all change anyway.

Exactamundo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I plan just enough so that I can be spontaneous, if that makes any sense. My main goal in planning is to know whether my overall timeframe is doable. I don’t get hung up on planning day by day. It’d all change anyway.

My first camino I did with my father taught us both a lot about planning on the camino. Some days my blisters would mean 15km days. On some days (weirdly those with lots of uphill), my legs and feet would feel good and I'd be doing much longer stages. Hit less than 50% of the planned stops, but it was still great.

If you want to, plan away, but don't be too rigid, as you're not likely to stick to it once you're there.

As others have said...

Everyone's comfort level is different, and you gotta do what you gotta do. Planning can be part of the fun, but rigid planning can trip you up - like the doctor above discovered. Most people don't have experience of independent travel in a foreign country, so planning can be reassuring.

Trusting that things will work out requires patience, experience and a leap of faith. A couple days on the Frances can help with that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For my first Camino I did almost no planning other than to read up about packing lists and watch The Way. I wasn't aware there was pack transport, or accommodation other than albergues. I didnt even take a guidebook. It was wonderful, totally winged it and I was completely hooked.
I have since walked another Camino, joined the Forum, bought a guide book, and done way more research.
So for my third Camino, I'm taking my quite cautious husband. To keep him in his comfort zone, I'm doing a lot more planning than I would for myself.
I have no doubts this will be a great Camino as well, I'm not concerned that the planning will spoil it. Who knows once we get there he may become more confident.

Perceived problems prior to departure can be very different to actual problems once on the ground. It's impossible to prepare for every eventuality.
The amount of planning may depend on your personality; if you're an anxious person, you may feel more comfortable planning/booking. If that's you, go ahead, but try to ensure things are cancellable/exchangeable/refundable in case The Plan changes.
Another consideration for planning ahead is your timeframe. If you're only away for a limited period, a plan will keep you on track & ensure you reach your goal (whatever that may be) in the time you have.
It also depends on the trail itself. As contributors before me have pointed out, paths like the CF have infrastructure & options galore..other trails, not so much. If its your first foray, you may not even know what sort of traveller you are...but it will become apparent when you're 'out there'. Be true to yourself & do your journey, your way.
Enjoy & savour! 👣 🌏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might like to listen to The Adventure Geek's monthly radio show. This month they debated exactly that question!

For me the Camino worked spectacularly well when I could just let go to the flow and it was horrible when it was not feasible to just let go. Last June I was in Carrion de los Condes and a Corpus Christi procession was starting of a Sunday morning but as we had only a limited number of days to get to Leon I had to leave and trudged out of town with a heavy heart. Please give yourself the space to enjoy the completely unexpected magical moments that the Camino will bestow. Its the "completely unexpected magical moments" that is the impossible to define addiction of the Camino. Enjoy it all x

I love the planning and pondering over maps, books, internet. We booked every night on our Le Puy route before we left Australia and luggage transfer as well. So all we had to do when we left our front door was go on a "ride". I like to do all the "work" before I go so that I can relax and just walk. May not be spontaneous but very relaxing. If we got to a town too early we just went to a bar or café or just explored the town. I worked on 20 - 25km per day which allowed for coffee stops and leisurely picnic lunches. My holiday time is very limited so I don't want to be wasting time booking as I go along. Perhaps when I have more time to spare I will just go with the flow...but for now I enjoy the "freedom" of knowing where I am stopping and sleeping. Not for some, but works for me!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I read a study on the benefits of taking time off work to “get away from it all”. I’m not certain how it was measured, but the results showed that the planning of the trip was as beneficial emotionally and mentally as actually going on the trip.

I would agree. Last winter was my first winter as a widow and it was awful. Awful. The longest, coldest, darkest winter I ever experienced. So when autumn came around this time and the days started getting shorter, I knew that I needed an action plan for this winter.

Right now in the Midwest we’ve got a windchill of -15 degrees F, but I am lying under my heated blanket reading about all of your adventures, inspiration and suggestions as I plan my first Camino in March. 👍
Ultreia!

is

Traveller, you're on the right trail. Don't overthink your journey, go with the flow and look forward to the unexpected and that includes where you stay and eat. DO plan on what you take as the weight of your backpack is critical. Of particular importance is water since it is so heavy. You only need to carry 1 to 2 liters as you will have ample opportunity to replenish at alburges, bars and village fountains. Believe me, you don't need much (clothings, etc.) and what you need you can buy along the Camino. If possible, allow as much time as you can to complete your Camino. Building in time allows for spontaneity which will add color to your experience. Be safe and have an extraordinary time.

In my case obsessive planning was fun, informative and very useful because I had never done anything like this before. Regarding packing go light, but when it comes to route planning, I believe that age matters. I knew beforehand that it was very unlikely that I could keep up with any group or Camino family for days or weeks on end, so I had to prepare myself to be alone and answer the same question every day: will I need the predictability of a reservation for the next day or two, or I am I in a position ( physically and mentally) to wing it ? The knowledge that I had a place to stay the moment I arrived after a tough walk was a godsend on several stages ( Orisson, Roncesvalles, Zubiri, O'Cebreiro, El Acebo and all points after Sarria). Likewise my spontaneous stays were purposely in villages between Brierly stops, and I never had a problem finding a decent albergue. I honestly believe that without the months of planning ( even if it was just reading guide books etc.) I would not have had the mental picture of what lay ahead to then overlay with how I felt that day.
One final observation: the most sage advice I got from years of great posts on this forum was to listen to your body. It is not only true but it also means that the Camino is an intensely lonely experience because you do not want to impose your pace on others nor should you ever feel obliged to keep up a pace that your body strains to maintain. Put another way, I was forced into a healthy self-preservation mode which in turn made my daily decision the highlight of the afternoon while drinking a beer!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Once you do it, you will see how little planning is needed. It is really as simple as showing up with a few toiletries, a couple of change of clothes, poles, and a guide book. Then just start walking.

I like preparation and education prior to a Camino, but not much actual planning. Preparation around physical fitness and conditioning, deciding what to take, road testing the gear, deciding how to pack, etc. Education about the history and culture or the area, the pilgrimage itself, interesting sites along the way that I want to make sure to see. For planning - a flight there, a flight back, a plan for getting to and from the Camino, and 1st night accommodation booked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like preparation and education prior to a Camino, but not much actual planning.
I really like @november_moon's post. Prepare yourself for expected problems (avoiding towns that fill up, foot care, etc.) and unexpected ones (loss of cards or passports, finding a clinic, etc.) Skip a lot of the planning and use the time saved to learn Spanish (or refresh it.)

I have wondered the same thing because I love watching Camino videos and getting information on gear, etc..., however, I believe once I get there and start walking I will just be living in the moment and love it.
You will, believe me. It is the Camino working.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have told this story from time to time on this Forum and I think it worth repeating.

On my second Camino, I met a very skilled surgeon from the United States who was a complete and total perfectionist. In planning his Camino, he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, poured over elevation charts, and looked up historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy in 1944 took less planning. He was so precise that he booked a room for every night along the way to Santiago--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been done before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of art work that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell in with a Camino family. He loved his Camino family and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous. They were living in the moment. As a result, they would not decide on where to stop for the night until mid-afternoon each day. Rarely did his Camino family stop where he had a reservation.

His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had his room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this odd behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same town as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he look left, then right, and then leaned in toward me to make sure no one could hear his answer. In a hushed voice he quietly said, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of time."
What a lovely story! It really brings the point across. Thank you @RobertS26 for sharing :)

I like preparation and education prior to a Camino, but not much actual planning. Preparation around physical fitness and conditioning, deciding what to take, road testing the gear, deciding how to pack, etc. Education about the history and culture or the area, the pilgrimage itself, interesting sites along the way that I want to make sure to see. For planning - a flight there, a flight back, a plan for getting to and from the Camino, and 1st night accommodation booked.

From the planning perspective I would agree 80%, I start walking as soon as I arrive so my first day stop depends on where I end up. It works for me in regards to dealing with jet lag.

Ultreya,
Joe

The best plan is to not have a plan. Just let it go with the flow. You'll be just fine. It is easier than you think.

As far as walking this would apply to the CF. Some of the more remote Camino's require a little planning in regards to season and daily distances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think that all depends on the person. Some people enjoy planning and knowing about where they will walk. Some people consider that "spoilers" and would rather just head out into the great unknown and just following the yellow arrows.

I don't think any amount of planning will entirely eliminate the unknown. There will always be surprises on a Camino. As to whether that takes away the spontaneity, that depends on how rigorously you hold yourself to the plan. Personally, I'm a big believer in extensive planning but reducing any prior decision-making until the last minute. All of that planning is just one element that goes into the decision making, along with what the weather is like, how I am feeling, who I am walking with, and other factors. In that way, the planning doesn't diminish the spontaneity at all.

But what works best for you is up for you to decide. We all walk our own Camino (although frequently in the company of others, past and present).

Planning for me is all part of the fun. My Camino is not until June next year so in the meantime I love spending time reading and watching videos on the Camino and researching the best kit to take. In reality I already have most of what I need so could pack up and go tomorrow and pick up a sleeping bag and poncho on the way. After reading numerous posts on here I’ve decided a poncho is a better option for the Camino than the Gortex jacket and trousers I already have. Now if I only I had the money and the time to spare I could be off.
The big plan is for next June when I will have taken early retirement and will have both time and money. I will book a one way ticket to Biarritz and my first night in St Jean and then either Orisson or Roncesvalles (haven’t decided on that yet) and after that just take each day as it comes stopping wherever I feel like it. In the meantime I will continue to plan and dream to get me through the next year or so at work. Planning to walk from Saint-Jean to Santiago and then Finisterre Muxía circuit and back to Santiago. I love the idea of not having time constraints, although I’ll be well out of my comfort zone staying in albergues and not knowing where I’ll be spending each night. Can’t wait for the adventure to begin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Planning my first Camino (francés): I booked my flight to Biarritz and a flight back from SdC, I booked my first night in StJean and my second night in Orrisson. That was it. But.....
I missed my first flight so had to re-do the bookings.....
The albergue in StJean didn’t keep my reservation so I had to find a new albergue when I got there...
I arrived in Orrisson much too early so cancelled my booking and walked on....
And finally, I arrived much earlier than expected in Santiago so walked on to Finisterre and STILL had to change my return flight for an earlier one!
I don’t think planning ahead agrees with me! 😄

It’s still fun though, to while away the Winter evenings ;) But not in too much detail as I know now I never keep to it.

Last edited:
I think informing yourself is great, for example knowing what equipment works well, what things on the way you really don’t want to miss, what pitfalls to avoid etc.

But the important bit is not to tie yourself to your plans. Once you’re on the Camino, go with the flow, and the knowledge you’ve gleaned beforehand will help you not be afraid of going with the flow.
Planning my first Camino (francés): I booked my flight to Bayonne and a flight back from SdC, I booked my first night in StJean and my second night in Orrisson. That was it. But.....
I missed my first flight so had to re-do the bookings.....
The albergue in StJean didn’t keep my reservation so I had to find a new albergue when I got there...
I arrived in Orrisson much too early so cancelled my booking and walked on....
And finally, I arrived much earlier than expected in Santiago so walked on to Finisterre and STILL had to change my return flight for an earlier one!
I don’t think planning ahead agrees with me! 😄

It’s still fun though, to while away the Winter evenings ;) But not in too much detail as I know now I never keep to it.
Yes I too am checking forums and stressing o whether or not I will be able for walk from st. Jean to roncheville

is

Traveller, you're on the right trail. Don't overthink your journey, go with the flow and look forward to the unexpected and that includes where you stay and eat. DO plan on what you take as the weight of your backpack is critical. Of particular importance is water since it is so heavy. You only need to carry 1 to 2 liters as you will have ample opportunity to replenish at alburges, bars and village fountains. Believe me, you don't need much (clothings, etc.) and what you need you can buy along the Camino. If possible, allow as much time as you can to complete your Camino. Building in time allows for spontaneity which will add color to your experience. Be safe and have an extraordinary time.
Please advise what sleeping bag would you recommend ?????

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not long to wait now then. I am departing SJPdP 26 April.

I think the over planning comes from excited anticipation rather than from necessity. I have walked the Frances twice and this will be my third visit. I am not going to book any accommodation other than Roncevalles. I did that a few times, especially walking with fellow worriers, and regretted the lack of spontaneity

Buen Camino
Glad to hear! My husband and I are walking from Porto to Santiago in March and decided not to book. This way, we can adjust our walking according to how we feel or if we find a spot we want to stay longer.

Sure I like to dream and plan and that for me is a part of the experience. The Camino for me doesn't necessarily start on day one of walking.
However I do try to keep in mind something I heard a while back...
"If I waited for every traffic light on my route to turn green before I started, I'd never leave my house."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those that know me, even a bit, I have a penchant for turning the coin over to see what is on the other side.

On the topic of over preparation, yes, it can take away from the experience, if it is allowed. But doing something that you have never done before, does require some planning, learning, to ensure the highest possibility of success. I have done this, and regardless of all the prep work, failure is still possible. I know, as I have attempted the CF twice now and have not succeeded in walking into SdC, yet.

So, my failures have taught me. My spirit has been exposed to the Camino Way, the Heart engrossing Souls that I shared the Path with. No planning could ever have prepared me for the many, many experiences, mercies, conversations, smiles I was endowed with on my Pilgrimage. I will forever remember the compassion, the helping hands, the sweet smell of the air and flowers, the conversations with people I may never see again.

No wonder the Camino Bug is so addicting. In a perfect World, I welcome the problems that help us grow, become better that we were, inspire us and help us put one more foot forward. 😎

I think Paulo Coelho summed it well when he said just turn up and start,! Easy to say with hindsight
Buen camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
With two teens in tow for our camino from SJPDP to Finnisterre some planning is crucial....however, I have only planned the first two nights at albergues with dinners and breakfasts to help get us into the groove and two nights in the best accomodation I could find in Santiago as a reward for getting that far. Other than this, we are going to leave it to the winds and spontenaity.

I am a total control freak so leaving this up to chance is the begining of my reason to walk the camino, I need to leave that need to control everything and everyone behind.

I think do what feels right for you, if planningn a few steps ahead to get you started helps you relax more for the rest of the trip then go for it! Part of the magic of the Camino is that you start listening to your instincts....who says that can only start when you are on the trail, it can start anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

Buen Camino....

One factor that leads a person to agonize over preparation and planning is not having any experience in what you are thinking about undertaking. Think about it as it applies to a newbie wanting to do a Camino who has:
  • Never traveled internationally OR
  • Never traveled without being part of a planned tour.
  • Never has walked or backpacked for long, multi-day distances.
  • Never has had to deal with navigation issues as they pertain to long distance walking in a foreign country.
  • No background knowledge of backpacking or hiking gear or clothing.
  • Never waited until the end of a day to find lodging.
  • There is no familiarity with a Camino infrastructure like albergues, pilgrim menus, water, public restrooms, Yellow Arrows, etc
And that is just some of the major stuff for a newbie to wrap their head around. Budgets, how to replenish cash and forms of payment and foreign currency stuff like exchange rates, getting someone to look after pets, paying monthly bills while traveling, medical care while traveling...... lots of stuff for a beginner to handle.

For me, I can head to my gear closet, make quick decisions about which backpack, sleeping bag or quilt, clothing, and footwear to use. I can have everything I need all packed and ready to go within an hour. And that includes paperwork, passport, money and debit cards, and the sundries, like medications and stuff to do during the flight. I even have a laminated checklist that I can pull out of my files and leave so that Jill knows what stuff that I do that she needs to do while I'm gone.

And almost all of the stuff that must be decided upon has multiple choices as to what will work best. Not to mention all the time it takes to pick the two most essential pieces of gear: a good backpack and footwear.

The more experience one has, the less effort and time it takes to plan a Camino. Which is one of the great things about this Forum; it gives newbies a place to go and get questions answered to help them as they plan. :)
As someone who is planning a First Camino in September, this has been a great thread to read. Part of the joy of preparing for the Camino (or other adventure or travel) for us is the reading and planning and build up of excitement. Although I don't have the experience of doing it yet, what many are saying about having some idea of what to expect or how to prepare just makes so much sense - for us. Then - I suppose for others it could be the thrill of the complete unknown.

I am loving the planning - changing plans - finding out something that I think will make it better, things suggested.
I taught a Y4 class last summer here in Reading UK - we did the Genius Hour, for those unaware of this, it is when each pupil (or employee in the business world) is given an hour a week for a given period of time - for my ten year olds it was 8 weeks, so 8 hours - to produce a project of their own. It could be anything but there had to be something to show for it - we had a 3D map of brazil, a rainforest model, pokemon board game and a performed rap to mention a few.
While they were absorbed in their projects I decided to do my own - A Beginner's Guide to the Camino de Santiago - it is attached and it was great fun!

So I too am developing OCD - Obsessive Camino Disorder. Next weekend (16th) I will attend my second Practical Pilgrim Day in London courtesy of the CSJ.

Attachments

• Genius hour - Camino de Santiago.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm an over-planner but by the time I made it halfway between Burgos and Leon I was finally able to let go and just go with the flow. Mind you, this took several years the way I'm walking 😂. My last trip a couple of weeks ago I finally had the experience twice of arriving in a town at sunset and finding all the albergues closed for winter despite reputable sources having told me otherwise. So one night I had to take a cab and the other I had to stay in a hotel. Both were lots of fun. Have fun planning but take comfort in the fact that even the worst case scenario is not that bad at all!

I am loving the planning - changing plans - finding out something that I think will make it better, things suggested.
I taught a Y4 class last summer here in Reading UK - we did the Genius Hour, for those unaware of this, it is when each pupil (or employee in the business world) is given an hour a week for a given period of time - for my ten year olds it was 8 weeks, so 8 hours - to produce a project of their own. It could be anything but there had to be something to show for it - we had a 3D map of brazil, a rainforest model, pokemon board game and a performed rap to mention a few.
While they were absorbed in their projects I decided to do my own - A Beginner's Guide to the Camino de Santiago - it is attached and it was great fun!

So I too am developing OCD - Obsessive Camino Disorder. Next weekend (16th) I will attend my second Practical Pilgrim Day in London courtesy of the CSJ.
Impressive! Very well done.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Plan as much that your are somewhat comfortable you can handle the curveball the camino will throw at you:) Read as much as you enjoy, as it is part of looking forward to the camino - however expect things to be different than imagined, but that is not a bad thing.

The CF is very easy to navigate even if everything goes wrong. On my trip I smashed the screen on my smartphone on day 3 = no map, no guidebook, no gps, no facebook, no way to look up any information, no way to plan ahead. With a few days to the next Big city I figured I could get a new phone there. In the end I Bought an old dumbphone (for safety) and walked the whole camino by just following the yellow arrows until I was tired - it is really hard to get truely lost on the CF, and there is never far to the next albergue, restaurant, bar, water-station or group of pilgrims.

There is a saying whatever floats your boat. Will what your are doing help you or hinder you? And remember it’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

I am the one that seems to plan trips such as the Camino. We read the websites, bought our 36L Osprey packs, looked at people’s equipment lists, etc. We discussed the Camino del norte, the Primitivo, and the Frances. We booked a flight to Barcelona, two hours later the 11 AM train to Pamplona. We had decided to check the weather there and decide which forecast would give us the least rain. Took the bus to San Sebastian and started the Norte the next day. We had an agenda, but in reality we walked until we were ready to stop- the first few days 20-25Km, after that 25-30Km. For us that spontaneity was essential to our enjoyment, being flexible enough to make changes as we needed. Another decision, split off the Norte to the Primitivo or continue. We took the latter. So our model was plan lots ahead of time (before we caught our flight), have a general plan, and prepare to alter that plan, which we did daily! Not for everyone, but it worked for us.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back