• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I dream about my wheelchair camino but need some answers

Wheelchairpilgrim

Wheelchair pilgrim, in annual stages to Santiago.
Time of past OR future Camino
NL to Rocamadour. Hope to arrive 2025 in Santiago
Hi Everyone,

Let me first introduce myself.
I am a female wheelchair pilgrim from the Netherlands, but at this moment I do only short (one day) pilgrimage walks.
I dream about doing the camino and hope that one day that dream will come truth.
I can roll in my sport wheelchair (with special electric wheels / e-motion wheels that you can compare to the e-bikes and I use a big offroad frontwheel) around 25-30 km a day without problems. but I am not used to hills/mountains because we do not have them here.

I am not sure yet where I want to start, when one day I have enough time I'll walk/roll from home but I think it wil be a month or even less.
Now I am wondering how steep the hills / mountains are that I will pass during the camino France,
I did 10% hills on a holiday and that was ok, but I am not sure about steeper hills/mountains.

And are there other impossible obstacles? I can do normal roads but also unpaved pads (except soft sand and wet mud) and even a few km grass is fine, but on some footpads there are fences with steps you have to climb over, that is a real impossible thing for a wheelchair ;)

How are the albergue or other places to sleep? I can walks short distance (around 100m) and I can sleep in a normal bed and use normal badroom/toilet so that will be no problem, and when my wheelchair can stay somewhere downstairs I can even climb up stairs when the bedrooms are there. but are the front doors of the albergue wide enough for a wheelchair (65 cm) and do they have stairs before the door?

I normaly love to walk on my own, but for this long distance I am wondering if it is save and practical enough to do it on my own because of my wheelchair.
and are fellow pelgrims and other people on the way helpful (like to help me uphill on a very steep place) and can I ask that kind of things.
for me it is sometimes quite difficult to ask people to help because I do not want to be a burden for someone and special in this case I do not want take energy from an other pilgrim that also need his/her energy to walk.) should it be beter to find an other pilgrim friend to go with me?

I look forward to hear the opinion of more advanced pilgrims than I am or maybe even wheelchair pilgrims.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Wheelchairpilgrim! Welcome to the forum! I wish you a pleasant and fruitful stay among us.

www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santiago/inicio/inicial.htm is an online guide (just in Spanish but you may try with an online translator if necessary) about the camino (from Roncesvalles) for handicapped people. It includes stage by stage info about accesibility of the route and alternatives when accesibility isn't good (enough), info about accesibility on some buildings (-some- accommodations, -some- restaurants), some tips to consider before your trip, some historical info...

http://accesible.xacobeo.es (web just in Spanish or Galician but you may try an online translator) has info about the stages in Galicia (i.e.: from O Cebreiro to Santiago de Compostela) including pictures of the route (what can give you a good idea of what you might find), alternatives for tricky areas, info about the gradient (%) of some climbs...

I'm not sure how updated (or outdated) are the links I provided but I'm pretty sure they can provide you some useful info.

When we were walking up the last hill to Santiago there was a mother pulling a child in a trailer on the back of her bike. A number of pilgrims helped to push them. They said people had been helpful the whole way. I am not surprised. I am sure people will assist you - but you might be more comfortable taking a friend with you. Either way will be fine. But do make sure you find out about track conditions because there are parts that you will find soft sand or mud - you will want to be with the cyclists on the road then!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info and links. I did not knowhow thema and will check. I can not read spanish but I am sure with translation I can read it!

Hei rullestol pilegrim. Jeg har bare sett et par folk gjør hva du har tenkt på, men jeg tror det er en god del. Menneskene jeg møtte hadde en annen person med dem, men jeg la også merke til mange hadde blitt med i en Camino familie som fjellene er svært dypt oppkjørte i enkelte områder med store og løs grus. Så i disse områdene vil jeg anta de gode menneskene vil være mer enn villige til å låne en hånd for å komme deg over. Vi har alle byrder noen er fysisk noen er ikke. Slik at folk flest forholder seg til å hjelpe hverandre. Jeg tror at hvis du kan finne noen til å gå med deg hindringene vil være mindre. Bare sørg for at du har noen spansk og engelsk ferdighetene jeg bare brukt Google translate app for å kommunisere i nesten alle språk.

Hello wheelchair pilgrim. I have only seen a couple of people do what you plan on but I believe there are a fair amount. The people I met had another person with them, but I also noticed many had joined into a Camino family as the mountains are very deeply rutted in some areas with large & loose gravel. So in those areas I will assume the good people will be more than willing to lend a hand to get you across. We each have burdens some are physical some are not. So most people relate to helping one another. I think if you can find someone to go with you the obstacles will be less. Just make sure you have some Spanish & English skills I just used my Google translate app to communicate in almost any language.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome, Wheelchair pilgrim!
If these photos are any indication, it's entirely possible!:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...iscapacitados-sila-rohlstuhle-jakobsweg.3614/
Best you get the information from someone who's been there done that. One way might be to send a PM to the person who posted the pics and start a conversation. The rest of us can encourage you and cheer you on, but we can only imagine the challenges; they'll be in a much better position to answer all your questions.
Buen Camino and Ultreia!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
... I am not sure yet where I want to start, when one day I have enough time I'll walk/roll from home but I think it wil be a month or even less.

Hi and welcome, you have gotten great advice from the others, but I just want to add one point. If you are dreaming to start from home you could do that in stages. Each year a month or so closer to Santiago. That has also the advantage that you get used to more hilly terrain gradually. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you may also need to consider the weather. There are places on the Meseta with broad, firm paths that turn into muddy puddles after a few days' rain. I'm wondering whether looking at the information for bicycle pilgrims might be useful to bring along for such stretches (if you have some kind of system that will ensure that car drivers see you, that is.)

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Wheelchair Pilgrim. Somewhere on this forum is a video of two American friends, one in a wheelchair who did the camino together.
His friend had to push him quite a lot and when in trouble other pilgrims pitched in and helped.
I can't remember the heading for this post but I am sure that someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you.
You may find it helpful.

Thanks for the info and links. I did not knowhow thema and will check. I can not read spanish but I am sure with translation I can read it!

Hi and welcome, you have gotten great advice from the others, but I just want to add one point. If you are dreaming to start from home you could do that in stages. Each year a month or so closer to Santiago. That has also the advantage that you get used to more hilly terrain gradually. Buen Camino, SY

Hello Wheelchair pilgrim,

If you can read german, have a look to:
http://www.felixbernhard.de

The guy has already "walked" the Camino several times...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Hi, Wheelchair Pilgrim, I admire your resolution.

My first reaction, having walked part way, was "really difficult". But then having looked at the photos from the links I changed my view to just say "challenging". My thoughts below come from more limited experiences of assisting my wife in her e-chair and portable/collapsible travelling push chair, and a de-brief from a friend who completed a five day challenge in her e-chair with others who formed her support group.

You may care to first do multi day trips away from home, to test your equipment and techniques.

Then, as Sy suggests, starting from home, do several weeks. Next time starting at the point where you last stopped, or further on. There are many able bodied pilgrims who skip sectors.

You mention an e-wheel. Does that mean a battery? Will you need a second one?

Ascents, I suspect, will be the least of your concerns. There are at least two very steep descents. The first, in the Pyrenees down into Roncevalles. The other sustained steep descent is from Cruz de Ferro towards Molinesca. And there may be other, shorter, drops that are equally "interesting".

You write as though you look forward to this challenge. Kia kaha (be strong)
I wish you every success.

Last edited:
Hello Wheelchair Pilgrim,

This link below was posted by another forum member in the Portuguese Route section. When I looked at it it showed some wheelchair accessible routes on the Camino Portugese. I haven't personally walked that Camino yet so can't advise you. Perhaps some of the good folk can offer some usable information to you?

I thought you might like to know this information was available.

If you do look at the site, at first it seems clumsy and complicated, but it becomes much more understandable after a while. Only parts of it are in English. The author has done a great job with the maps.

http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello WheelChairPilgrim,

Ivar, our lovely guru around here and site owner, posted a couple of years ago a link showing and explaining in quite some detail the challenges you might encounter on various stretches of the camino frances.

It was accompanied by a great number of photos from the individual stretches, some of them in detail. And some of them showed tricky passages where you might need to ford minor waters stepping from stone to stone.

Maybe someone could refind the link? - But I think that you might choose to go the bicycle route instead?

Buen Camino, Annelise

Welcome! I would consider purchasing two guidebooks for the Camino-one in English/German whichever is easiest for you to use for the stretches which are doable and the other of the type written for those on bicycles. Combine the two and those difficult places, the descent from Alto de Perdón, the ascent after Castrojeriz, the stretch between Herrerías and O'Cebreiro come easily to mind, all can be done by the alternative bicyle route. Whizzing down from SJPP to Valcarlos would demand some very good brakes!

Last edited:
This is a great project !!!

From what I've seen of wheelchair pilgrims on the Camino, from what I've read, and from what I've experienced from my own FAR lesser mobility problems, as well also of moving on pilgrimage through uncharted lands (as you will ultimately be required to) -- I'd just suggest focussing on the small tarmac road variants to follow your Way, even though some of them may in some places lead you completely out of the well-trodden path.

It's hard though to suggest anything about a means of locomotion so outside one's own experience !!! :)

There's no absolute reason though not to start anywhere you like along the Francès, though unless you can manage some seriously good distance wheeling on day 1, you might wish to avoid the SJPP > Roncesvalles stage, because the tarmac route there is too narrow and dangerous even from a hiker POV.

The Route Napoléon **might** be materially feasible on a sports chair in warm enough weather, with a pause at the refugio up on top, but you'd still be dependent on third-party assistance for a bit much of the Way. I *think* there are a couple of gates/fences up there though ...

for me it is sometimes quite difficult to ask people to help because I do not want to be a burden for someone and special in this case I do not want take energy from an other pilgrim that also need his/her energy to walk.

One of THE great things about the Camino is that giving someone help is the exact opposite of a burden, it's a source of strength.

We came across a peregrina in 1993 who had VERY badly twisted her ankle, just before nightfall, out in the middle of nowhere --- she was in despair and helpless, but after we comforted her, I lugged her pack on top of my own, two of my friends acted as living be-backpack'd crutches, another kept close to her every move to make sure she was OK and keep her spirits up, and one walked with me to make sure I kept on OK with the double weight. Hands down everyone in our group's best day that year.

You will not be a burden to pilgrims nor hospitaleros who help you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love your avatar / logo!

Others have suggested various sites for you to research how to accomplish a Camino in a wheelchair. All of the information offered is correct and should be considered. Especially look at the various other sites and blogs.

Yes, it CAN be done! Just think outside of the box. I have seen several folks undertaking this great challenge on each of my Caminos (three). In 2014, I met a fellow who wheeled his wife (she did not want to be there, it it was the ONLY way he could do the Camino) from Stuttgart, to St. Jean Pied de Port. There are a number of factors each has in common:

1. They all use trail-rated recreational wheelchairs with wide, knobby, mountain bike tires. The chair's owner usually wheeled themselves on level terrain.

2. Most all of the wheelchair pilgrims I saw had at least one walking partner with them. While it is possible to go it alone, IMHO in adds unnecessarily to the difficulty and stress level. The walking pilgrim can carry extra items that would likely make the chair too difficult to handle, help you when you need it, and help with things in your accommodations. If you do not have a friend / partner to make the pilgrimage with you, just ask in the forum. It is a very good way to make a friend for life. But, I caution you not to simply show up alone, at least not without a good amount of advance planning.

3. Many people, even walkers, with limitations do this! You can arrange to have your baggage (actually even a rolling suitcase or duffel bag) or rucksack sent ahead each day from stop to stop using a mochila (backpack) transport service. Research here. There are several reliable services. Check them out on this forum. Each morning, you leave your tagged bag at the front entry or counter. The service usually picks up the bag after you leave for the day. Your baggage is waiting at your destination. This works better form hostal or hotel to hostal or hotel. Some services will transport between albergues. It typically costs about €6,00 daily (more or less).

4. Being in a chair is not easy in Spain. In GENERAL, accommodations in Spain are NOT handicapped accessible. In my personal observation, the entire nation is less accessible than the Netherlands to a mobility challenged person. As a peregrino, you will need to adapt and overcome these obstacles. That is why having a companion is a good thing.

5. Consider doing a "Morse Code Camino." This is my personal phrase to describe a Camino comprised of walking / rolling, combined with strategic use of taxis and buses. This functionally resembles a dot-dash-dot sort of pattern, with walking dots, interspersed with mobile dashes. It works like this...

You know from research that a certain stretch of Camino is too rocky, steep, or muddy for you to navigate up to. However, the downside is freewheeling or level. So, in this model, you arrange for a taxi or bus to take you to the top of the hill. Then you wheel down the hill.

One good example of this is getting to O'Cebreiro, then leaving it. The ascent up can be treacherous and muddy. However the route from O'Cebreiro to the next stop is largely paved surface and cinder paths. There are many other such situations. Another, for example, is the climb upslope from Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro. Getting there would be challenging, but not impossible for you. The destination is definitely worth struggling to get to, and the ride down to Molinesca can be done on the verge / shoulder of oncoming traffic all the way, downhill, as an alternative to waling through the woods.

Only you can decide what your capabilities are. But nothing here should dissuade you from realizing your desires. You go girl! We, here in the forum, are available to assist in any way we can.

6. When you DO get to Santiago, remember that an 800-year old medieval city is not the most wheelchair friendly place. However, there are many accommodations for getting around. Just be observant and ask! The city is absolutely lousy with Pilgrims almost all year.

7. Also, you are entitled to a front-row "seat" at the Cathedral for the Pilgrim Mass, each day at noon, and at 19:30u each evening. Security personnel move folks in wheelchairs to the front, or will move others out of the way to make room for you. Be polite, but be assertive...;)

8. Lastly, Het Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob has a welcome service and lounge adjacent to the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. It is staffed by Dutch volunteers who are there to help you. All Dutch-speakers worldwide are welcome. I worked alongside these fine people in 2014 and 2015 when I worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office. I plan to do so again in 2016, dates TBD. They are also an excellant source of information and assistance. Check them out here: https://www.santiago.nl/

Feel free to start a private conversation with me if you have more questions. Ik spreek ook een beetje Nederland! Ik woonde in de buurt van Antwerpen voor twee jaar, en ik heb een vijf jaar oude neefje daar. But I speak better than I write...

I hope this helps. Tot Ziens!

Hi Everyone,

Let me first introduce myself.
I am a female wheelchair pilgrim from the Netherlands, but at this moment I do only short (one day) pilgrimage walks.
I dream about doing the camino and hope that one day that dream will come truth.
I can roll in my sport wheelchair (with special electric wheels / e-motion wheels that you can compare to the e-bikes and I use a big offroad frontwheel) around 25-30 km a day without problems. but I am not used to hills/mountains because we do not have them here.

I am not sure yet where I want to start, when one day I have enough time I'll walk/roll from home but I think it wil be a month or even less.
Now I am wondering how steep the hills / mountains are that I will pass during the camino France,
I did 10% hills on a holiday and that was ok, but I am not sure about steeper hills/mountains.

And are there other impossible obstacles? I can do normal roads but also unpaved pads (except soft sand and wet mud) and even a few km grass is fine, but on some footpads there are fences with steps you have to climb over, that is a real impossible thing for a wheelchair ;)

How are the albergue or other places to sleep? I can walks short distance (around 100m) and I can sleep in a normal bed and use normal badroom/toilet so that will be no problem, and when my wheelchair can stay somewhere downstairs I can even climb up stairs when the bedrooms are there. but are the front doors of the albergue wide enough for a wheelchair (65 cm) and do they have stairs before the door?

I normaly love to walk on my own, but for this long distance I am wondering if it is save and practical enough to do it on my own because of my wheelchair.
and are fellow pelgrims and other people on the way helpful (like to help me uphill on a very steep place) and can I ask that kind of things.
for me it is sometimes quite difficult to ask people to help because I do not want to be a burden for someone and special in this case I do not want take energy from an other pilgrim that also need his/her energy to walk.) should it be beter to find an other pilgrim friend to go with me?

I look forward to hear the opinion of more advanced pilgrims than I am or maybe even wheelchair pilgrims.
I met a woman, double amputee from Holland, sometime near Sept 12, 2015 near Villavente. I don't have her name or contact info but maybe there's a way to find her through a local area Camino group near you. She was in a wheelchair and traveled with a German guy, a paramedic all of the time. Actually there were two paramedics... one would walk with her and push or help over obstacles, the other drove a van and they would all meet up when they could connect with the van. They also had a complete medical and surgical kit.
You should consider doing the trek with a good strong care provider or paramedic or someone can fill that role to your satisfaction. Some places will very tough to get around and not passable without the help of some of the camianentes along the way.
It will be an adventure of a lifetime. Try to plan for everything and anything.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... You should consider doing the trek with a good strong care provider or paramedic or someone can fill that role to your satisfaction. ...

I think that would be overkill, as I read the OPs post she is able to move around on her own for very short distances and her medical situation is not progressing fast. So I don't think there is any reason for her to have a paramedic 24/7 in attendance. A bunch of friendly/helpful pilgrims will be just as good. Buen Camino, SY

5. Consider doing a "Morse Code Camino." This is my personal phrase to describe a Camino comprised of walking / rolling, combined with strategic use of taxis and buses. This functionally resembles a dot-dash-dot sort of pattern, with walking dots, interspersed with mobile dashes. It works like this...

You know from research that a certain stretch of Camino is too rocky, steep, or muddy for you to navigate up to. However, the downside is freewheeling or level. So, in this model, you arrange for a taxi or bus to take you to the top of the hill. Then you wheel down the hill.

One good example of this is getting to O'Cebreiro, then leaving it. The ascent up can be treacherous and muddy. However the route from O'Cebreiro to the next stop is largely paved surface and cinder paths. There are many other such situations. Another, for example, is the climb upslope from Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro. Getting there would be challenging, but not impossible for you. The destination is definitely worth struggling to get to, and the ride down to Molinesca can be done on the verge / shoulder of oncoming traffic all the way, downhill, as an alternative to waling through the woods.

I still wouldn't recommend this bus business, even for a wheelchair pilgrim, except in cases of forced inevitability -- and O Cebreiro is hardly the only option !!

The Camiño de Invierno was the traditional alternative route when the O Cebreiro one was impassible, and it's just been officially recognised anew. Even so, the tarmac up to O Cebreiro is a heck of a lot easier than the normal route, and there's a fairly large town halfway up that way to stay the night in if needed (I walked down from O Cebreiro that way once), so actually I think your assessment of the terrain difficulties is a smidgeon pessimistic.

In good weather conditions, not even Astorga > Cruz de Ferro > Ponferrada should be too difficult on wheels and on the tarmac.

Bur then, not all wheelchair pilgrims are equally handicapped, so it's obviously hard to guess the OP's capabilities -- the fastest of them have a daily KM rate similar to a cyclist, whilst the slowest need the daily trudging of a friend to help them along and constant care & support.

In any case, I'm sure the OP clearly understands which advice is useful, and which to ignore, better than any of the rest of us :)

I still wouldn't recommend this bus business, even for a wheelchair pilgrim, except in cases of forced inevitability -- and O Cebreiro is hardly the only option !!

The Camiño de Invierno was the traditional alternative route when the O Cebreiro one was impassible, and it's just been officially recognised anew. Even so, the tarmac up to O Cebreiro is a heck of a lot easier than the normal route, and there's a fairly large town halfway up that way to stay the night in if needed (I walked down from O Cebreiro that way once), so actually I think your assessment of the terrain difficulties is a smidgeon pessimistic.

In good weather conditions, not even Astorga > Cruz de Ferro > Ponferrada should be too difficult on wheels and on the tarmac.

Bur then, not all wheelchair pilgrims are equally handicapped, so it's obviously hard to guess the OP's capabilities -- the fastest of them have a daily KM rate similar to a cyclist, whilst the slowest need the daily trudging of a friend to help them along and constant care & support.

In any case, I'm sure the OP clearly understands which advice is useful, and which to ignore, better than any of the rest of us :)

I was trying to offer EXAMPLES of upward points, where alternative transport would be advisable for someone in a wheelchair. I was NOT trying to provide a complete guide. We can all disagree as regards alternative solutions. There is no one correct solution to every problem. Still, and all, this debate is necessary.

I hope this clarifies matters.

I'll say this. The day I walked into Pamplona a weel chair pilgrim (who could not walk at all, only scoot on his bottom, was finishing his second camino in a row from St Jean, and was planning to do the Norte the next year.

Hi Wheelchairpilgrim -

I think the video of the two American friends that bernhugo mentioned above is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhZrkjNydM

The two friends, Justin Skeesuck and Patrick Gray, undertook the Camino Frances together - Justin in a wheelchair - and joyously made it to Santiago. There is a lot of very interesting information about the friends and their journey on the net - check out their website illpushyou.com. - several videos and articles etc. Their story really stays with you - it's a testimony to a wonderful, wonderful friendship.

Best, best wishes and Buen Camino -

Jenny

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for all the replies and advises. I learned a lot. special the websites are very helpful.

About my health, I have an connective tissue problem (EDS) and that give me sometimes (sub)luxations but I can put my joints almost always back myself but even that do not happen very often. I can walk short distance (max 100 meter) and I do not need help for ADL (the normal daily living things like going to toilet, washing, etc), I can manage with just some extra hands for a steep hill or something like that.
it is also a good advice to look at the bicycle roads for difficult (read: muddy) walking roads.

About luggage, that is not a problem for me, I do not have to carry things myself, my wheelchair does it for me :) I have a good large bag the back of my wheelchair and except extra batteries for my wheelchair and chargers I have no more luggage than anyone else. I love to travel very simple with not to many stuff. and the good thing, I do not have to find shoes that fit me well enough to walk ;)
My wheelchair tires are normal bike tires so it will be possible to get new ones when needed, inner tubes always carry with me.

At this moment I think I will start from home and do every year a few weeks of walking. I think about starting next summer to take one or two weeks and walk the Dutch Jacob road (I think start in Amsterdam and go to Den Bosch or further) and than I see how it goes.
I think I will talk with some friends that did the camino a few years ago, maybe they like to join me or find someone else, specially for more difficult parts.

Buen camino!

thanks, I can read german and understand when people speak slow but speaking myself is difficult.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just send me a pm closer to the time and I can help you with translations ect. SY

Hello Wheelchairpilgrim its great your considering a camion, you have received lots of good advise, gathering information is a very important part of any Camino every little bit you get will help to you get to Santiago.
Last year I met an Italian man with his Wife and Son on the way down from O Cebreiro and again in the Monastery at Samos, he was piloting a Genny ( the best piece of kit I have come across in years )
You might be interested in checking it out, there is quite a bit YouTube also.
http://people.gennymobility.com/it/
www.genny.co
Best, best wishes and Buen Camino.
Keep us informed
oldman

I finale made a decicion about my camino.
I go but for now I will start from home (the Netherlands) and wednesday I wil go for one week "walk" with my wheelchair from Haarlem to Den Bosch and next time I will see where and when I go. Maybe next holiday or next year. Time will tell.
I will write a blog (sorry, it is in Dutch, but maybe Google can translate it) at http://wheelchairpilgrim.reismee.nl

Thanks for all the information you gave me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Wheelchairpilgrim its great your considering a camion, you have received lots of good advise, gathering information is a very important part of any Camino every little bit you get will help to you get to Santiago.
Last year I met an Italian man with his Wife and Son on the way down from O Cebreiro and again in the Monastery at Samos, he was piloting a Genny ( the best piece of kit I have come across in years )
You might be interested in checking it out, there is quite a bit YouTube also.
http://people.gennymobility.com/it/
www.genny.co
Best, best wishes and Buen Camino.
Keep us informed
oldman

Thanks so much for this link. What an amazing invention! It can revolutionize the lives of people with mobility issues. They even have an off-road model:

Now just need to have rentals available with a 17,500 Euro price to purchase!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a long time ago that I wrote something here.
2016 I was thinking about going on pilgrimage to Santiago by wheelchair In stages but not I am doing is already for 3 years and planning my 4th stage.
2016 I did Haarlem to Den Bosch (NL), 2017 Den Bosch To Maastrich (NL) and 2018 I did Maastricht (NL) to Reims (France). Now I started planning for coming September, than I hope to roll from Reims to Vezelay (via Campaniensis).
I have to change some things to the normal route (mud roads etc do not work in a wheelchair) but I manage well. It will take some years before I arrive because I can only go 2 weeks each year, but that mean I can enjoy my pilgrimage for longer ;)
One day I will be there.

When anyone is interested to read about is you can check my website (it is in Dutch, English and France, but English and France are at the moment automatic translated).
Www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I read that and I saw the movie. And it is a great story, specialy because of the special friendship between them. My trip is completely different because I do it on my own, I have no one to push me, but I also like that. I love to roll on my own to quiet places, have time to think (or not think at all and just enjoy nature or pray) and it challenge me to reach my goal and it teach me to ask for help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I read that and I saw the movie. And it is a great story, specialy because of the special friendship between them. My trip is completely different because I do it on my own, I have no one to push me, but I also like that. I love to roll on my own to quiet places, have time to think (or not think at all and just enjoy nature or pray) and it challenge me to reach my goal and it teach me to ask for help.
Wow. I am in awe of your spirit and strength. You will have help along the way. That’s the essence of being a Pilgrim, knowing when to give help and when to accept help. You will reach Santiago... you already have the spirit of the camino in you. :) Keep rolling! And keep posting I for one is interested in your story.

Thanks. I just go for reaching Santiago. It only will take some more years before I am there, one day I am in front of the Cathedral.

At this moment I am preparing for September for the next stage from Reims to Vezelay.

A lot in my preparation is different than for walking people, I do not really mind about counting grams but I do mind about the space things take in my (35l)bag. For example, I always have an airmatress with me and for me it is better to have a heavy but small packing airmatress than to have a light but bulky sleeping mat.
And my backpack have to fit my wheelchair and not my shoulders.
Also I always check the roads and make my own route. A mix between walking and cycling roads is the best, bus sometimes it is not possible to avoid roads with cars and than I need things he be visible (I always have a yellow flag on a flagpole in back of my chair)

I do plan to keep posting here once in a while. And otherwise you can follow me on my website.
it is in Dutch, English and France (but English and France are at the moment automatic translated).
Www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl
You can also register than I send you an email when I start my pilgrimage again (or when I have other pilgrim updates)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love your attitude. And remember the journey does not stop in Santiago. The journey only stops when you quit, when you have run out of mental and emotional road. You seem to have a deep reservoir of mental and emotional strength and I admire your determination and resilience. Bravo, Buen Camino and Ultreia!!

Hi Courageous
I saw in the new state hostels of Galicia, that they have accessible rooms or a room with the facilities that would suit you. I have a colleague that also uses a wheels.

I got inspired by the book I’ll push you.

But what I can do is: On my next Camino I will try to see it a bit with your eyes and so I can gather informations. As I said I seen beautiful rooms on my way reserved for pilgrims with challenges if you like.

There is a saying about the Camino starting in front of your door. Mine stated in 10 min walks from home and I was blessed to have made it from Porto to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia
The only person that can stop you is you!

#Aidan21
Thanks. I think I am used to figting because of my health. When I was a teenager (and walking) I was intrested in the Camino after a tv program. When I was 20 my health became worse and with 23 I had my first wheelchair. I gave up on the Camino because I thought it was not possible anymore. After a few years in a wheelchair I found out I can roll long distances. I started with 5 and every time a but more, until I was at 20km a day. Than I started thinking that it should be possible after all. 2016 I wanted to try how far I could go and eft for one week in The Netherlands. That worked out very well and so I decided to go on. Now for me it became something I really want to accomplish. When I do something I thought is was not possible it feel like I win a big price. Reaching a top of a mountain after 3 hours fighting is amazing. That also help me in real life, when I feel that something is difficult I just remember that steep hill before Rocroi (via Campaniensis) and than I know I can do anything!

#Delphinoula
Great to hear that places are getting more accessible.
Thanks for this link. I did not read this story before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. I just go for reaching Santiago. It only will take some more years before I am there, one day I am in front of the Cathedral.

At this moment I am preparing for September for the next stage from Reims to Vezelay.

A lot in my preparation is different than for walking people, I do not really mind about counting grams but I do mind about the space things take in my (35l)bag. For example, I always have an airmatress with me and for me it is better to have a heavy but small packing airmatress than to have a light but bulky sleeping mat.
Also I always check the roads and make my own route. A mix between walking and cycling roads is the best, bus sometimes it is not possible to avoid roads with cars and than I need things he be visible (I always have a yellow flag on a flagpole in back of my chair)

I do plan to keep posting here once in a while. And otherwise you can follow me on my website.
it is in Dutch, English and France (but English and France are at the moment automatic translated).
Www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl
You can also register than I send you an email when I start my pilgrimage again (or when I have other pilgrim updates)

Www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl
I had many physical challenges also although I am not in a wheelchair. I was injured in the military. I wear a metal brace on my left leg and had several surgeries on leg and shoulder and head injury. many people told me I could not do the camino. Friends, Family even my doctor doubted my ability. But it was something I had to do for myself. I cannot say what drives me to walk I just feel that I must so I can see why you feel you must. Preparation is key and I also must prepare differently. I carry some medical equipment in my pack. But this year I will tackle the Del Norte. I will be slow and pain is always my friend but I will be deliberate and I will do it. Not a lot of Handicap accessible places in Spain but the people are wonderful and are very willing and almost joyous to help. The pilgrims you meet will never pity you. They understand because they have struggles of their own...but maybe theirs are sometimes emotional or not of a physical nature. Each pilgrim helps one another so you always have people at your back when you need it. I look forward to reading from you. I start the DelNorte in March and will post when I am on my way. Here is my post summery from the Frances.

Also if you are on the road and you need assistance you can also reach out here on the forum we will assist you the best way we can by doing research for you or helping where we can. Dont be afraid to ask. We can at least point you in the right direction. You may be alone in the road but you are never truly alone as a pilgrim.

Thanks for all you write. It is inspiring. I will be reading your story. (Mine is on www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl )
It is right that we can make it with the right preparation. A lot of (healty) people that start a Camino complete unprepared don't manage, get a lot of blisters, pain, or other problems. Because I know I have to prepair because I am in a wheelchair I maybe even have a better chance to reach my goal.

Thanks for all you write. It is inspiring. I will be reading your story. (Mine is on www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl )
It is right that we can make it with the right preparation. A lot of (healty) people that start a Camino complete unprepared don't manage, get a lot of blisters, pain, or other problems. Because I know I have to prepair because I am in a wheelchair I maybe even have a better chance to reach my goal.
I start to read your blog. I finish 2016 was a nice journey .. I will read again tomorrow.
I know you and I will both reach out goals 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have so enjoyed reading your story here. In fact this whole thread is inspiring! In 2015 my wife and I walked for a few days with a group from Paris (Compostelle 2000), as they pushed and pulled four friends in trekking chairs. They were walking for a fortnight on their next to last section, and over several days we were able to push and pull with them.

In part it's what inspired us to help a student of mine with cerebral palsy begin his pilgrimage. He has some mobility but not enough to use a wheelchair, and so we are using a Joëlette.

So far, we have found the Camino not only accessible to pilgrims with mobility challenges but actually accommodating. There seems to be a growing number of albergues (at least along the Camino Frances) that are intentionally designed to be accessible. However, even at albergues that are not, hospitaleros have gone out of their way to assist and encourage us.

In case this is a help, here are the places we stayed at this summer with Gabriel:
  1. St. Jean: Beilari--allowed us to reserve a first floor bed, bathroom up a couple of stairs. Would have been a bit tight with wheelchair, but the hospitaleros are awesome. It is a must-stay albergue for us.

2. St. Jean: Le Gite Antton--rooms up a couple of steps from first floor, bathrooms spacious and accessible. (We stayed here, because Orisson was full. We made it as far as Orisson, and the hospitalero from Antton picked us up and brought us back the next day.)

On the way up to Orisson, we stopped at a gite I did not know about: Ferme Ithurburia. Wonderful woman, Madame Ourthiague, kindly allowed us to rest there a bit, and she showed us her facility across the street that was specifically designed for pilgrims with mobility issues.

3. Roncesvalles: Albergue Colegiata--very accommodating and helpful. We stayed on the second floor, but used elevator. Bathrooms were easy to get to, but not particularly designed with accessibility in mind.

4. Zubiri: Albergue Segunda Etapa--good albergure, but accessible only because Gabriel can manage stairs with help. I believe Albergue Zaldiko might have accessible accommodations.

5. Pamplona: Albergue Jesus y Maria--steps to enter albergue, but has first floor beds and accessible bathroom.

The Knights of Malta maintain a newly remodeled albergue in Cizur Menor that is accessible. The organization was very helpful to us as we prepared for our trip, though we did not stay there. They have started a program for disable pilgrims--very exciting!

6. Puente la Reina: Jakue--lovely albergue. Don't know about accessibility otherwise, but we stayed in rooms (with private bathrooms) that were one or two steps down from ground level. I did not look at the attached hotel.

7. Estella: municipal albergue--great place with first floor accommodations, ground floor access through side door. Bathrooms accessible but small.

8. Los Arcos: Pension Ostador--great place and owner but not accessible. We had stayed previously at Albergue Isaac Santiago, which had first floor accommodations/bathroom but access to albergue up several steps. It was nice enough, but we would not stay there again.

9. Logroño: municipal albergue--very welcoming and helpful hospitaleros, but not very accessible--lots of stairs.
I'm sure there are others that we do not know about, but at least this has been our experience so far. We'll find out how accommodating the albergues are between Logroño and Castrojeriz this summer. We know at least a couple of them will be very accommodating, but I'll be better able to report after our trip, if you're interested.

I look forward to following your both, Wheelchair Pilgrim and Iriebabel!

#Iriebabel I start reading your camino story, it is inspiring. Thanks!

#Kym G. That was an inspirational journey you made, that Joëlette is an interesting wheelchair. Not for me (I prefer to roll myself) but for other people it is great.
thanks for all the other information. It will take a few years before I arive than but than I will really use this information

#Ivan, Thanks, I will try to contact him. It is always interesting to speak to other wheelchairpilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Kym G. @ivar you are both wonderful and helpful. Thanks for your links and places i’m Sure more pilgrims will find it helpful.

More and more the physically challanged are attempting and succeeding in breaking the barriers once thought to be impossible. On the trail last year I met two paraplegics one on bike and one walking and I saw one person in an electric wheelchair.

Just proves when we think we can’t ...we surely can! Love this thread😍

Last edited:
More and more the physically challanged are attempting and succeeding in breaking the barriers once thought to be impossible. On the trail last year I met two paraplegics one on bike and one walking and I saw one person in an electric wheelchair.
More and more we are recognizing that the disability is not in the person but in the environment that fails to accommodate their needs. As we are better able to remove barriers or assist the individual in overcoming them, more becomes possible.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Kym G. , thank you for your post (#52 above).

I too have experience of supporting another in her wheelchair. So, when I am walking, I keep an eye out for where a wheelchair may not fit. And consider what the workarounds would be.

It occurs to me there are many sections of the track from Roncesvalles to Logrono where a wheelchair would not be able to travel.

Do you have any comments on this aspect you can also share with the Forum.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I found out a lot of walking roads are not wheelchair accessible. So 2018 I started to follow a mix between walking, cycling and car roads. And for me that works well.
But when I roll on a road for cars it is really important to make myself visible. I always have a yellow flag on my wheelchair, reflecting things and red back lights.
Until now I always solved the problem when I found a not accessible path. I also always take good maps with me.

At San Juan de Ortega I encountered a team of three working together. Two were on bikes while the third powered a low slung and long tricycle with his hands. In the chat I learned they travelled on roads.

I had resolved to walk on roads* to Burgos. About 30 minutes after I set off they passed me at a good rate of knots with a cheering wave. All three had flags and travelling in convoy showed bulk to the rear.

* and encountered an unused railway with stone bridge supports still in place, although somewhat reduced in bulk. A few days later I encountered this railway at the Museum of Human Evolution where a cutting to the north east had been a source of relevant finds.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will leave next week (3 september) for my wheelchair pilgrimage. This year I will roll from a Reims to Vezelay.
I will write my blog on www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl it is also posible to read it in English and France (France is Google translate, sorry, I speak a little France but not enough to write a blog).

When you sign in for the newsletter I let you know when wrote a new blog.

Hi David I agree and I know you personally have had challenges but it irks me somewhere.
Disabled challenged handicapped long list of fumbling to find an expression that is at least neutral.
I learned an expression from a very young yoga teacher.
She did not say do as much as you feel comfortable or as you can, because all this would mean that you are lacking something. No do what is available for you she said.
We are not lacking. If anything we have more of a lot of gifts other people never had or could or wanted to develop.
Wheely you show us what is out there for us. Most humbly thank you.

No fancy word needed, however you call it it is fine for me. In dutch (my mother language) prefer handicap, but disabled is fine as well. I believe everyone have a disability. Some visable like me in my wheelchair, some not visible like learning disabilities, sometimes big (with giant e-wheelchair of bed) to small (glasses, hearingaid, etc). No one is completely healthy and perfect. And that is good.
The only thing people have to learn is to give help or to accept help, to get the right tools (good wheelchair, lifts, wide doors) and to be treated normal. That is what is needed to life a good life.

And when you have the right stuff and support even a camino is posible.

(And the best thing about being in a wheelchair during a camino is that I do not have to worry about the right socks, shoes and blisters on my toes! Also the weight of my backpack on my wheelchair is not as important and as when you walk. As long as the ballance is good it is fine.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No fancy word needed, however you call it it is fine for me. In dutch (my mother language) prefer handicap, but disabled is fine as well. I believe everyone have a disability. Some visable like me in my wheelchair, some not visible like learning disabilities, sometimes big (with giant e-wheelchair of bed) to small (glasses, hearingaid, etc). No one is completely healthy and perfect. And that is good.
The only thing people have to learn is to give help or to accept help, to get the right tools (good wheelchair, lifts, wide doors) and to be treated normal. That is what is needed to life a good life.

And when you have the right stuff and support even a camino is posible.

(And the best thing about being in a wheelchair during a camino is that I do not have to worry about the right socks, shoes and blisters on my toes! Also the weight of my backpack on my wheelchair is not as important and as when you walk. As long as the ballance is good it is fine.)
I really wish you the best of luck and with your attitude I’m certain you’ll have an amazing experience.

Your thread is a refreshing change from the ‘should I wear blue socks or red socks’ trivia which is listed daily.

Like my Dutch friends you have a way of cutting through the rubbish and concentrating on what is important.

Thanks.
I can sit at home and feel sorry for myself about the things I can not do anymore, about my daily pain at, but I choose to do what I can do and what make me happy. And there is enough that is posible to do. And I prefer to have pain because I did something I did than to have pain anyway but did not do anything nice.

I am sure it will be a wonderfull few weeks, just like last 3 times.

You can follow me at www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl (also English and France).

Dank je wel, @Wheelchairpilgrim . This is a wonderful thread.
I love your attitude.

The only thing people have to learn is to give help
Please, in a few words - is there a way to do this with sensitivity? I sometimes hang back from offering help to people with wheelchairs, unsure of what is really needed - and not wanting to be patronizing or condescending. On the camino over a rough patch, I am guessing lending a hand to push/lift would be welcome, but in albergues?...

Dank je wel, @Wheelchairpilgrim . This is a wonderful thread.
I love your attitude.

Please, in a few words - is there a way to do this with sensitivity? I sometimes hang back from offering help to people with wheelchairs, unsure of what is really needed - and not wanting to be patronizing or condescending. On the camino over a rough patch, I am guessing lending a hand to push/lift would be welcome, but in albergues?...

A very thoughtful question :).

I just ask the individual, "Can I be of any assistance?" I feel no real qualms about posing the question, as I would offer assistance to any person that appears to be having difficulties. Bicyclists, walkers, assisted, etc. :) The one thing I never do is to touch a person mobility device before receiving permission. . . unless there is an uncontrolled, emergency situation.

Seen this blog?:

What I percieve as a need may not be what you need. I approach hopefullyall my fellow humans with the same care. Sometimes with more or less tact. Like seeing my walking partner is exhausted. I ask for a break for myself I allways can use a stop and see what happens.
Just ask you fellow pilgrim
nobody is a mind reader. With a walking stick and without.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found out a lot of walking roads are not wheelchair accessible. So 2018 I started to follow a mix between walking, cycling and car roads. And for me that works well.

That's exactly how I would confront the Camino in those circumstances myself. Good job !!!

I just ask the individual, "Can I be of any assistance?" I feel no real qualms about posing the question, as I would offer assistance to any person that appears to be having difficulties.

That's the right attitude -- and I anyway have no qualms against requesting assistance from strangers when I need it.

Handicapped persons, I'm one myself albeit not a wheelchair one, are quite unlikely to let their own ego be dominant upon their hard-wired material difficulty that they have no hope of changing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back