• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Passport

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hi, I've obtained my passport from The Confraternity of Saint James in readiness for my walk in March. Do I need to take it to the passport office in St Jean Pied de Port to get my first stamp for it to be valid for the certificate at the end. Or will the accommodation I stay at for the first nigh be ok?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Pilgrim Office stamp is a great souvenir but it isn't compulsory. Any stamp to show you were in St Jean on a given night will do. That said, do do your best to drop by the PO. They will be able to give you live information on the state of the path, available accommodation ahead and a smiley, kindly, helpful start to your adventure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Buen Camino Mo Chara enjoy yur time me and the buds had a competition to see who could get the most stamps and its great looking back at stamps and dates. you can collect stamps in Cathedral Chapel churchs which are really oldie goldie and you can get stamps at the restaurant were you get yur pilgrims meal and of course in the place of rest Hostel or alberque which may be more recent remember you may need three stamps last 100km

Your pilgrims passport - credential - has 2 purposes. 1. To show that you are a pilgrim and are eligible to stay in alberques along the way - some hosts will want to see stamps showing that you have walked. 2. To show you have walked the last 100 km so that you can get your Compostela at the end - and if you also want the distance certificate, to show where you started. For either of those purposes, it doesn't matter where you get your stamps - accommodation, church, museum, random bar.

I always recommend stopping at the Pilgrim Office at #39 Rue de la Citadelle to obtain the most recent route information for the Pyrenees crossing. Also, you can get your first stamp AND a good scallop shell here.

FYI, the shells at the SJPdP Pilgrim Office come from local restaurants and do not have the red Santiago cross stenciled on them. So, at least you know the shell is locally sourced and not from another continent... You obtain one for a donativo, IIRC. One euro should be enough, two is better...;)

If this is not possible, then your first night's lodging suffices.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I've obtained my passport from The Confraternity of Saint James in readiness for my walk in March. Do I need to take it to the passport office in St Jean Pied de Port to get my first stamp for it to be valid for the certificate at the end. Or will the accommodation I stay at for the first nigh be ok?
You need 2 stamps per day. The Pilgrim's Office gives you the 1st one and you get the second at either Orrison or Roncesvalles.

Actually, the 2-stamps-per-day requirement is only for the last 100 km. Prior to that, you only need 1 stamp per day to show your forward progress, so you get a stamp at your lodging each day and you are good to go - until you pass Sarria, then you'll need to pick up a 2nd stamp somewhere along the way each day - at a church, bar, random person offering stamps in front of their house... This is because the last 100 km is required for the compostela and the Pilgrims Office wants to try to make sure that people are actually walking those kilometers rather than taking buses and taxis.

Of course collecting stamps is fun and there are lots of opportunities to get them, so you can always get more than 1 or 2 stamps each day - just be mindful of space in the credential or be prepared to get a 2nd one :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Besides my credencial, I carry a very small notebook for museum tickets, notes, thoughts...and additional stamps. Later, back in home, you get a very lively memento of your journey.

Does anyone know how I can get the Pilgrims Passport from SJPdP? I will be walking del Norte this summer and I know I could get a passport at many other places but I really like the design on the one from SJPdP. Also, it will match the other two I have.

Thank you,
Angela

Does anyone know how I can get the Pilgrims Passport from SJPdP? I will be walking del Norte this summer and I know I could get a passport at many other places but I really like the design on the one from SJPdP. Also, it will match the other two I have.

Thank you,
Angela

If you are wanting one because of the design and format, Ivar has the same exact one in the Forum store. Also, keep in mind that the design has periodically been changed, so the design may not be the same. :)

Thank you,
Angela

Also, Angela, I have a new Credencial that I received from Ivar as part of an order I had made recently, and I would be willing to send it to you depending on your location.

I believe that Ivar obtains his credencials, in case quantities, from the Pilgrim Office at Santiago. I recall seeing him stop by to pick them up. These are the smaller olive and black documents that are printed solely in Spanish.

The "Credencial du Pelerin du Sant Jacques," from the Pilgrim Office at Saint Jean Pied de Port, is a wholly different design. It is taller, is printed in a monochrome style, red or black on white paper, and has more space for stamps, IIRC. It is also printed in French. However, it IS an authorized credencial, recognized by the Cathedral Pilgrim Office at Santiago de Compostela.

You can get the Cathedral Pilgrim Office version from Ivar. But, you must contact the PIlgrim Office at SJPdP to seek theirs. The office manager is a Forum member. Her user ID escapes me at the moment. Perhaps she can offer some advice on obtaining the French Society's credencial for us on other routes.

Hope this helps.

If this is your first time, I would encourage you to go and speak to those individuals in the office, and experience the process; for myself, much of the value I walked away with were these small interactions that we all share.

On another note, I actually prefer the credential obtained from the PO in SJPP, just a personal preference on how its laid out and number of spaces for stamps.

YMMV

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe that Ivar obtains his credencials, in case quantities, from the Pilgrim Office at Santiago. I recall seeing him stop by to pick them up. These are the smaller olive and black documents that are printed solely in Spanish.

The "Credencial du Pelerin du Sant Jacques," from the Pilgrim Office at Saint Jean Pied de Port, is a wholly different design. It is taller, is printed in a monochrome style, red or black on white paper, and has more space for stamps, IIRC. It is also printed in French. However, it IS an authorized credencial, recognized by the Cathedral Pilgrim Office at Santiago de Compostela.

You can get the Cathedral Pilgrim Office version from Ivar. But, you must contact the PIlgrim Office at SJPdP to seek theirs. The office manager is a Forum member. Her user ID escapes me at the moment. Perhaps she can offer some advice on obtaining the French Society's credencial for us on other routes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for correcting me on that. I always had my Credencials sent from APOC, so I didn't pay close attention when I've gone to the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dave:

I always get my credencials from APOC too. I rather like the nice, neat laser-printed inside cover. One of my 'pet peeves' while working as a volunteer is the number (large) of pilgrims who present credencials with a blank front page.

It is worse than having your identity stolen. How would you like the proof of a month's pilgrimage lost, stolen, or unreturnable, all because you did not write in the basic information requested in the front cover of all credencials?

Honestly, you would not believe the number of totally blank credencials that are sent to the Pilgrim Office from albergues, cafes, shops and police stations all along the various routes. We have a box of them in the back room. Some are there for months. Seriously, how is anyone going to connect a blank credencial to the right pilgrim?

Some of us volunteers changed how we manage long lines this past summer. We start at the front of the queue with a handful of ballpoint pens. We ask every pilgrim waiting if they have filled out their front page. You would be surprised, or not, at the number of blank stares we get...huh?

This is intended to save time at the counter, as the staff will wait until you have done so before addressing the issue of a Compostela, etc. So, it DOES save a lot of time, once you extrapolate some 30 seconds for each person x the hundreds of folks on line. Of course, maybe half of the pilgrims have everything filed in already. But the others apparently did not get the memo...

We are constantly trying to shave waiting time by decreasing process time at the counter. BUt, being in Spain, and this process being done for a thousand years or so, change comes very slowly...

But, I digress...

Hope this helps, someone.

Also, Angela, I have a new Credencial that I received from Ivar as part of an order I had made recently, and I would be willing to send it to you depending on your location.
This offer is so nice of you, thank you. After reading other posts it seems you don't have the one I am looking for.

I am looking for the one with the outline of a red shell on it.

I always recommend stopping at the Pilgrim Office at #39 Rue de la Citadelle to obtain the most recent route information for the Pyrenees crossing. Also, you can get your first stamp AND a good scallop shell here.

FYI, the shells at the SJPdP Pilgrim Office come from local restaurants and do not have the red Santiago cross stenciled on them. So, at least you know the shell is locally sourced and not from another continent... You obtain one for a donativo, IIRC. One euro should be enough, two is better...;)

If this is not possible, then your first night's lodging suffices.
Not sure about locally sourced, a huge amount of scallops are exported from Scotland to Spain every year so perhaps that scallop shell is really a Scotsman's sporran in disguise?

Having seen a scallop swimming I'm now loathed to eat one - they just look so cute!

This offer is so nice of you, thank you. After reading other posts it seems you don't have the one I am looking for.

I am looking for the one with the outline of a red shell on it.
If you know anyone walking the Frances before you and starting in Saint Jean, they could obtain an extra one from the pilgrim's office and mail it to you.

I meant another continent, like Asia - China. Trust me when I say that MANY of the souvenir scallop shells available at Santiago, the ones with the stenciled red Santiago cross on them, are sourced in the PRC. They are shipped in bulk to Spain, where the red cross stencil is applied. I get around, I watch stuff, I have seen boxes of inventory in the back of shops all over... just sayin...

The genus and species of the original scallop critter is the same as those original to France or Spain, or substantially close enough that no one can tell the difference without a university degree in shellfish... It really does not make any difference, at least IMHO. I have had both types. They look the same.

On the other hand, I have eaten the coquilles St. Jacques available at many restaurants in SJPdP. I have also seen the piles of leftover large scallop shells. Finally, some years back, I also asked at the SJPdP Pilgrim Office about their sourcing, and was told they get them from area restaurants.

So, it is what it is. I do know that the SJPdP office can run short or completely out of these locally sourced shells. In fact, when I was there this past August, there were more pilgrims than available shells. Until more came from local restaurants, pilgrims were compelled to buy them in area shops...the commercially sourced variety. I was actually there when they ran out. I made sure that a pilgrim I had just met got the last shell.

Just as an FYI, the local pilgrim society drills the two holes and puts lengths of plain cord (similar to a shoelace) through them. The commercial type usually comes with a red cord.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I meant another continent, like Asia - China. Trust me when I say that MANY of the souvenir scallop shells available at Santiago, the ones with the stenciled red Santiago cross on them, are sourced in the PRC. They are shipped in bulk to Spain, where the red cross stencil is applied. I get around, I watch stuff, I have seen boxes of inventory in the back of shops all over... just sayin...

The genus and species of the original scallop critter is the same as those original to France or Spain, or substantially close enough that no one can tell the difference without a university degree in shellfish... It really does not make any difference, at least IMHO. I have had both types. They look the same.

On the other hand, I have eaten the coquilles St. Jacques available at many restaurants in SJPdP. I have also seen the piles of leftover large scallop shells. Finally, some years back, I also asked at the SJPdP Pilgrim Office about their sourcing, and was told they get them from area restaurants.

So, it is what it is. I do know that the SJPdP office can run short or completely out of these locally sourced shells. In fact, when I was there this past August, there were more pilgrims than available shells. Until more came from local restaurants, pilgrims were compelled to buy them in area shops...the commercially sourced variety. I was actually there when they ran out. I made sure that a pilgrim I had just met got the last shell.

Just as an FYI, the local pilgrim society drills the two holes and puts lengths of plain cord (similar to a shoelace) through them. The commercial type usually comes with a red cord.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting, thank you. And should I be lucky enough to be back in SJPP, I will be sure to have Coquille St. Jaques! 😋 In fact, I feel an obligation. Better book a flight now. 😄

One of my 'pet peeves' while working as a volunteer is the number (large) of pilgrims who present credencials with a blank front page.

As one who issues credencials for the Australian Friends of the Camino I can assure you there is never one issued by us with a blank front page. We take great care to write neatly, and to make sure that the information in it is correct, or as correct as we have been provided with!. We have had several people thank us because, for whatever reason, their credencial was lost / mislaid, and someone has kindly posted it to the home address written on that page. These pilgrims were VERY grateful to receive that which they thought they would never see again.

In turn we also document, in our register, all the information that we receive, and so have records of which paths, which month, and which method (foot/bike etc) our members have made their Camino. This enables us to know such information as how many credencials a member has requested etc - one of our members has been issued with 16 credencials over the years since he first joined. It goes without saying that he has clocked up many kilometres!

Buen Camino, Janet

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I always get my credencials from APOC too. I rather like the nice, neat laser-printed inside cover.
And that's the thing that puts me off getting a credential from APOC. I always hand write my information at the front of my credential, and I'm not sure about having a computer printed one.

Hey Buen Camino Mo Chara enjoy yur time me and the buds had a competition to see who could get the most stamps and its great looking back at stamps and dates. you can collect stamps in Cathedral Chapel churchs which are really oldie goldie and you can get stamps at the restaurant were you get yur pilgrims meal and of course in the place of rest Hostel or alberque which may be more recent remember you may need three stamps last 100km
Only Two stamps a day needed for proof of walking....stamps are also found at post offices and many business/ offices...beun Camino
Love

The benefit of the APOC laser printing is that it is always clear and legible. Few handwritten credencials are so legible.

It drives the counter staff batty when they have to waste further time either waiting for a pilgrim to fill in the information at the counter, or deciphering the 'chicken scratching" they did write. On a slow day, it is not a problem, but with 300 - 400 pilgrims on line, each second wasted snowballs into a really long wait.

The laser printing also clearly indicates where you are from, and your manner of propulsion, Foot, bike, horse, wheelchair...

If I were king, all credentials would be printed thusly to save time. But, alas...;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thank you,
Angela
You can take pilgrims' passeport from SJPP at catherdral of Bayonne. On the cathedral there is a pilgrim office like on SJPP. Buen Camino !

OK peregrinos, I’ve seen some really lovely pikgrim’s Passports over 3 Caminos. I’ve always got the gold and black one.

What do people think of this one?

I also love the idea of the passport being a record of the journey, especially that amazing guy in Portugal who does the wax stamps.

The London Confraternity of St James does an elegant alternative passport. Anyone got that one?

OK peregrinos, I’ve seen some really lovely pikgrim’s Passports over 3 Caminos. I’ve always got the gold and black one.

I also love the idea of the passport being a record of the journey, especially that amazing guy in Portugal who does the wax stamps.

The London Confraternity of St James does an elegant alternative passport. Anyone got that one?
You might like this one, which is a little notebook with sketches and information about different town along the Camino Frances, with spaces for stamps and your own notes.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/8484089096/?tag=casaivar02-20

I saw one in the Cathedral gift shop and took these pictures

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only Two stamps a day needed for proof of walking....stamps are also found at post offices and many business/ offices...beun Camino
Love
Two stamps (or more) a day are nice to get but by no means required until the last 100 km. Most people get at least one of them from where they sleep at night. Many churches are also a common source of stamps. If you find your credencial is filling up, you can always get another and continue in it.

I like that the one you linked to starts in Roncesvalles, the same as both my caminos on the Frances. :)

You can take pilgrims' passeport from SJPP at catherdral of Bayonne. On the cathedral there is a pilgrim office like on SJPP. Buen Camino !
Thank you. However I will be in Paris then train to Heydene (spelling) to Irun. Anywhere near these places to get my credential?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Attachments

• 20190122_222442.jpg
    20190122_222442.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 6

Hope this helps.
https://mylongwalk2019.home.blog/2019/02/11/camino-destiny/

Attachments

• 20190211_180922.jpg
    20190211_180922.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 4
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I heard and was under the impression that there is a Pilgrim's Office at the Notre Dame de Paris, see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...edral-de-notre-dam-paris-or-just-stamp.52786/

In that discussion, it is not really a pilgrim's office at the Notre Dame; the actual Paris pilgrim's office (Compostela 2000 organisation) is at 11 rue Hermel in the 18th arrondissement (downhill from the northern side of Sacré Coeur/Montmartre), open Mon-Fri 10-12 AM and 2-6 PM plus some Saturdays to 5 PM -- http://www.compostelle2000.org

--jim--

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back