• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Powering on

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
Buen Camino friends.
Well tomorrow Feb 16th my right knee will be one year old. The first of many. My right hip followed in July. My left knee in November. On March 7th I'll receive my new Left hip. If you remember I walked the Camino in its entirety in 2016. On week after returning home I dislocated my hips waterskiing. ..and destroyed what was left of my damaged knees waiting. I've warned my family and surgeon that I WILL be returning to walk the Camino again in 2020.
Today I ditched walkers and cane....brought out my lucky Camino walking sticks instead. Neighbors that witnessed my walk said I was walking better and straighter. I think it's the positive memories and vibe of my sticks.
I've posted a picture from today's walk in chilly Ontario Canada.
Buen Camino 👣52109

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It takes a lot of personal courage to face personal pain and disabling events and to push yourself forward despite how difficult and trying it will be. My warmest wishes and Prayers are with you as you go onward toward your goals.

I look forward to reading of your progress. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I sympathize so much!

A week after my first Camino ended in 2012, my back was badly damaged in an automobile accident (not my fault). I was not disabled, but have since experienced constant pain..... Nevertheless I went back in 2015, 2017, and did the Aragones in 2018. (I had to cut a few corners, but persevered!) ... And I'm going back again in September of this year.... Because my heart lives in Spain!

May the Lord make His face to shine upon you.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino friends.
Well tomorrow Feb 16th my right knee will be one year old. The first of many. My right hip followed in July. My left knee in November. On March 7th I'll receive my new Left hip. If you remember I walked the Camino in its entirety in 2016. On week after returning home I dislocated my hips waterskiing. ..and destroyed what was left of my damaged knees waiting. I've warned my family and surgeon that I WILL be returning to walk the Camino again in 2020.
Today I ditched walkers and cane....brought out my lucky Camino walking sticks instead. Neighbors that witnessed my walk said I was walking better and straighter. I think it's the positive memories and vibe of my sticks.
Buen Camino 👣View attachment 52109
Great, Penny! I’ve got two new knees and a new hip and will start on the Camino in late April. My knee replacements will have their first birthday out on the Camino. Congratulations to you, and I wish you all the best in your recovery and return to the trail next year.

Buen Camino friends.
The Camino definitely touches folks in a powerful way. I love your grit and determination. You are a beauty to behold, and I look forward to hearing all about your 2020 experience. It's apparent you're a mighty force to reckon with MS! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino friends.
My new knees are 5 weeks old and I too am planning to be back on Camino in 2020. I can hardly wait to get back to walking - my poles are ready. So glad that I did both at the same time - it was pretty painful for the first 3 weeks - so good I don’t have to go through it again 👍. I loved my doctor’s comment when he “Lets do them both while you are still young” - I am 79😆

My new knees are 5 weeks old and I too am planning to be back on Camino in 2020. I can hardly wait to get back to walking - my poles are ready. So glad that I did both at the same time - it was pretty painful for the first 3 weeks - so good I don’t have to go through it again 👍. I loved my doctor’s comment when he “Lets do them both while you are still young” - I am 79😆
I pleaded with my surgeon to replace both in one surgery. He refused ! Not sure why. I have a feeling the Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis. It made it difficult just finding a surgeon willing to take on my 4 replacement surgeries required.
Happy walking and healing
Buen Camino 👣

Penny, so good to hear from you and find that you are steadily working toward that next camino. I still remember that evening we spent together with the overly friendly manager. Best wishes and a speedy recovery!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That was a creepy experience...so happy I met you both that day. I remember stuffing things in the keyhole that night ...worried he held the keys to all the rooms.
Thank you both for being guardian angels that evening and the kind wishes today.

Holy smoley, 79! I want to be able to say I"ll be walking a Camino at 79! Muy Bien! The desire and engagement in making plans obviously keeps you young. Please keep all of us apprised of your Camino.

Buen Camino friends.
Congratulations on all the aftermarket replacements--modern medical science is amazing. And I admire your tenacity for continuing your Camino goals. Best wishes for a successful and pain-free completion, and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back