• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Older pilgrims on the Salvador

ritaj

Time of past OR future Camino
Wes (age 80) and I (age 74) just completed the San Salvador -- with many thanks to all of you who have been posting thoughts and suggestions for the past year! I know there are pilgrims older than we are who can do longer stages than we did, but I wanted to let folks who are concerned about their ability to do this Camino, that there are shorter stages than that followed by most pilgrims, and it was pure joy to be able to walk the Salvador without exhaustion, pain, blisters, etc. We had most afternoons to relax in the wonderful villages and towns, stroll the streets, read, meet local people who were SO warm and generous to us. And each morning we were fresh and ready to walk the steep hills, both up and down, never having to face them when we were already tired.

We walked in nine days as follows:

Leon to Cabanillas (17k), we were the only ones in the albergue that night.
Cabanillas to La Robla (10k), like a lovely rest day.
La Robla to Buiza (15k), again alone in the albergue, a relaxing afternoon.
Buiza to Poladura (9k), great to be able to enjoy the climb that morning.
Poladura to Pajares (15k), again fresh for the climbs.
Pajares to Benduenos (15k), the only ones there, an incredible visit with Sandra.
Benduenos to Pola la Lena (10k) again like a rest day.
Pola la Lena to Mieres (15k)
Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

For those with the time, this was an amazingly wonderful Camino. Next, the Primitivo in spring 2018 -- planning 21 days. We'll be 81 and 75 and I think we'll be able to do it. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who gave us so much good information!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wes (age 80) and I (age 74) just completed the San Salvador -- with many thanks to all of you who have been posting thoughts and suggestions for the past year! I know there are pilgrims older than we are who can do longer stages than we did, but I wanted to let folks who are concerned about their ability to do this Camino, that there are shorter stages than that followed by most pilgrims, and it was pure joy to be able to walk the Salvador without exhaustion, pain, blisters, etc. We had most afternoons to relax in the wonderful villages and towns, stroll the streets, read, meet local people who were SO warm and generous to us. And each morning we were fresh and ready to walk the steep hills, both up and down, never having to face them when we were already tired.

Pajares to Benduenos (15k), the only ones there, an incredible visit with Sandra.
Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

For those with the time, this was an amazingly wonderful Camino. Next, the Primitivo in spring 2018 -- planning 21 days. We'll be 81 and 75 and I think we'll be able to do it. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who gave us so much good information!
So nice you stayed with Sandra!!!
And that you let yourselves short stages and really enjoy it :)

You two are an inspiration! Thank you for this post; I think it will encourage many of us who are 'getting up there' and wondering how it'll be several years down the track. Yours is a concrete example of one possibility. (And I have bookmarked your short Salvador stages - thanks!)
Buen Camino on the Primativo!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wes (age 80) and I (age 74) just completed the San Salvador --
Congratulations, Rita & Wes, well done!! I'm so envious! I've been considering walking the Salvador in about 3 weeks (after time on the Inglés), but have some concerns - I hope you can help... what was the "population" of other walkers? I'm hoping to see more than a couple of folks in the distance. My concern is with walking completely alone since I'm afraid of heights! Narrow paths with drop-offs bother me a lot! BTW I would probably be starting from León on my 73rd birthday... :eek: Thanks!
Terry

Awesome! Congratulations! And wishing you all many more happy Camino walks to come.

Wes (age 80) and I (age 74) just completed the San Salvador -- with many thanks to all of you who have been posting thoughts and suggestions for the past year!

Congratulations to you both, and thanks for the inspiration and motivation to those of us following at a distance. I wish you the necessary health, strength and determination for your next expedition. Keep posting!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations, wow, am so impressed... I will keep the stages in mind. Still want to do this one... one day. Light and Love and Ultreia.

Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

I am very inspired and excited, and your route looks great. Thanks so much!

Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

Great! So glad you took the time to enjoy your Camino.
Phil

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations, Rita & Wes, well done!! I'm so envious! I've been considering walking the Salvador in about 3 weeks (after time on the Inglés), but have some concerns - I hope you can help... what was the "population" of other walkers? I'm hoping to see more than a couple of folks in the distance. My concern is with walking completely alone since I'm afraid of heights! Narrow paths with drop-offs bother me a lot! BTW I would probably be starting from León on my 73rd birthday... :eek: Thanks!
Terry

Terry -- There were few pilgrims seen each day, more often none. We started each morning between 7:30 and 7:40 and ended our day between noon and 2:00 depending on the day. We mostly were alone. Leaving Cabanillas, Buiza, and Benduenos when there were no other pilgrims in the albergues meant that we were way ahead of the folks starting in the usual places that morning (Leon, La Robla, Pajares). But we met wonderful pilgrims in the other albergues, mostly from Spain, a group from Poland, none from the USA (!) who arrived after us and were all delightful.

There are lots of steep narrow paths but not with drop offs (that I can remember -- anyone want to correct me on that?).

Thank you so much @ritaj !! Just finished looking at Gunnar's videos of his walk on the Salvador in 2013 (Radio Buen Camino), and really, REALLY want to do this. Your comments help so much! But will make a decision probably the day before I actually start depending on weather and what the people in León have to say. Meanwhile, I might "imagine" a few more people walking at the same time!

Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

Thank you for the break down. This exactly what I would like to do. Did u find a bar or store in cabanillas? I am 61 and want to do things slower.! How about Sundays in these small places? Appreciate your help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Dawn,
There is no bar or store in Cabanillas. Ender's guide is really the best source for info on places to stay, shop, etc, and how to break things down into stages. He gives a plan for people who want to break the 120 km into 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 stages. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61VvtkuNOwEMXpaM280YWtTTXM/view?pref=2&pli=1.

On Sundays in the small towns, the bars are likely to be open, at least through lunch, because Sunday is one of their busiest days. But they are not likely to open at the crack of dawn for pilgrims! Buen camino, Laurie

Glad to see longer stages are possible. I prefer less mileage so I can take in the views. Congratulations on completing and you will love the Primitivo.

Last edited:
Terry -- There were few pilgrims seen each day, more often none. We started each morning between 7:30 and 7:40 and ended our day between noon and 2:00 depending on the day. We mostly were alone. Leaving Cabanillas, Buiza, and Benduenos when there were no other pilgrims in the albergues meant that we were way ahead of the folks starting in the usual places that morning (Leon, La Robla, Pajares). But we met wonderful pilgrims in the other albergues, mostly from Spain, a group from Poland, none from the USA (!) who arrived after us and were all delightful.

There are lots of steep narrow paths but not with drop offs (that I can remember -- anyone want to correct me on that?).

You are correct, I am also scared of heights and drop offs but found nothing on the Salvador that worried me at all.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There was no food in Cabanillas or in Buiza -- we used Ender's guide the whole way so we knew about that. For those two days we carried bread, cheese, oranges, and little packets of tuna which come with a spoon, something new in our market here at home that I brought with us. We called ahead for a meal from the Posada de Embrujo in Poladura, again for a meal cooked by Marissa in the albergue in Pajares, and again for a meal cooked by Sandra in the albergue in Benduenos. All three were wonderful meals with more than we could eat! Every other day we had a menu del dia in the towns we stayed in and every one was memorable (and photographed!)

Hi, Dawn,
There is no bar or store in Cabanillas. Ender's guide is really the best source for info on places to stay, shop, etc, and how to break things down into stages. He gives a plan for people who want to break the 120 km into 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 stages. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61VvtkuNOwEMXpaM280YWtTTXM/view?pref=2&pli=1.

On Sundays in the small towns, the bars are likely to be open, at least through lunch, because Sunday is one of their busiest days. But they are not likely to open at the crack of dawn for pilgrims! Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie for sharing. What an amazing guide. Heading off tomorrow!

Terry

I understand the fear of heights - am also scared of heights. There are narrow paths with steep drop-offs. Lift up your sticks - make sure they do not get caught in long grass and go slowly. It is a great feeling to know you did it.
I walked at the end of May 2017. Every night in the albergues there were about 10 -15 persons. I was the only female for the trip but at 68 I was not the oldest. Enjoy it. A very special route especially if you consider how the route came into being - taking the relics to safe keeping in Leon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Mieres to Oviedo (19k)

Thank you! You are heros to us younger seniors. I am determined to continue to walk the Camino every year for as many years as possible. Congratulations maybe I’ll meet you on the Primitivo next year.

Hello Ritaj
Have been thinking about Camino del Salvador and now realise I fit nicely into this section, as I am celebrating being 75.
I was worried about
1. Walking shoes or boots - I hope I will walk Pamplona to Leon as a sort of preparation and prefer my walking shoes. I did see a film made by Magwood and she is wearing shoes.
2. Fog on the highest section - I would probably want to turn around in fog and then might get lost retracing my steps.
3. One or two photos I have seen appear to show a rocky section very near an edge.
Obviously snow on the high passes would put me off entirely.

Anyway I think I will try to start from Leon on Sat 11th May.
Any responses would be welcome.
Ena

Hello Ritaj
Have been thinking about Camino del Salvador and now realise I fit nicely into this section, as I am celebrating being 75.
I was worried about
1. Walking shoes or boots - I hope I will walk Pamplona to Leon as a sort of preparation and prefer my walking shoes. I did see a film made by Magwood and she is wearing shoes.
2. Fog on the highest section - I would probably want to turn around in fog and then might get lost retracing my steps.
3. One or two photos I have seen appear to show a rocky section very near an edge.
Obviously snow on the high passes would put me off entirely.

Anyway I think I will try to start from Leon on Sat 11th May.
Any responses would be welcome.
Ena

Here's my thoughts: Wonderful plan!

1. I walked in Altra Lone Peak trackers and found them to be all I could need and did my first Camino without blisters. Before this I always wore my hiking boots (left over from my Park Service uniform years) and always had blisters after several days of walking on those Camino routes.
2. We never had fog so I can't answer this. But walking in May seems to be a great time for wonderful weather and spring flowers.
3. I never felt like there was walking along rocky edges but Pam posted that there were some. Don't know what to make of this. None of the trails seemed risky in any way.

I can't say enough good things about the San Salvador. We walked the Primitivo the following September and it was wonderful too, but the San Salvador is hands down my favorite. Off to walk the first third of the Via de la Plata, March 23.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back