• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Churches on The Ingles

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Are there not as many churches on the Ingles as perhaps, other Caminos (relatively, of course)? 🤔 After looking through a few guides and online, I don't want to assume that churches might be a bit sparse because, I really luv visiting them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are there not as many churches on the Ingles as perhaps, other Caminos (relatively, of course)? 🤔 After looking through a few guides and online, I don't want to assume that churches might be a bit sparse because, I really luv visiting them.
The only church I found open between Ferrol and SdC last May was the one on the entrance to Betanzos. Dark, gloomy and empty.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, that must have sounded depressing. I'm sure that there are lovely churches along the CI I just never had the fortune to come across one that was open.
I very much look forward to a period of rest and quiet contemplation when I reach a church, just didn't have much of an opportunity last spring - probably missed out on some wonders!

Sorry, that must have sounded depressing.I very much look forward to a period of rest and quiet contemplation when I reach a church...
No worries! I appreciate your straight forward reply. I want to walk 'something' (the last 100km) with churches, that isn't scorching hot because, heat kicks my Heine!

On the Ferrol to Pontedeume section: Ferrol Cathedral, the 12th century San Martin de Xubia, the Church of Santa Maria at Neda, and the 12th century Parish church at Pontedeume were all delights.

On the Pontedeume to Betanzos section, the Ingles passes the Romanesque church of San Miguel at Breamo and the Church of San Martino at Timbre. Betanzos cathedral in the main square is impressive, but better still is the white stone Franciscan church further into
the city.

On the Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma section, San Estaban at Cos is a nice little church.

On the Hospital de Bruma to Sigueiro section, make sure you try to see the Church or San Paio at Buscas.

On the Sigueiro to Santiago section, the Ingles runs round the back of the church of Nosa Senora at Agualda.

not all of the above churches will be open, but often knocking on the vicarage, or house next door can elicit a key to the church, and then you have the place all to yourself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...not all of the above churches will be open, but often knocking on the vicarage, or house next door can elicit a key to the church, and then you have the place all to yourself...
THANKS, @peb ! I had completely forgotten about the several churches on the Portugues that opened specifically for the 3 of us, once we tried to get in!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There’s a small chapel across the road from Bar Avelina, which is on both legs of the route. The ladies in the café-bar can get the key from the neighbor who holds it and take you over, time permitting. There’s also a large century tree that is a neat photo op.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The church in Pontedeume is easy to find though I have never been there when it was open. When you cross cross Rio Eume on the long bridge you are looking at the town. The church of Santiago is straight ahead two blocks and up the stairs.

At Pontedeume, the Vicarage is on the right as you walk up the hill opposite the church. If I remember correctly, the vicarage had a big black door. Knock on the door, and if you are lucky, they will be there, and either open the church, give your pilgrim passport a stamp, or both.

The cemetery chapel on the outskirts of SdeC was open. But the only proper church and well worth popping into to get your last Sello ( very nice old fella in there gives you a map too) is about 15 minutes before the very end !!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2015 we spent a day in Betanzos and visited all 4 churches in the morning - check opening times.
At that time the sello was held at the church in the plaza, San Domingo - donation asked for as it was towards the caretakers wages.
The tourist office at the other side of the same square would have up to date information.
We spent the afternoon in the O Pasatiempo gardens.
Well worth spending 2 nights in Betanzos just to see the churches.

I stopped in to see Avelina and her sister María Elena last week. They took me across the street to the lovely little chapel of San Roch, opened it up to see it, let me leave an offering, and insisted I ring the bell. I also enjoyed their incredible hospitality very much when I was greeted with a hot empanada and Maria Elena insisted I sit down and put my feet up. Don’t miss this stop at As Travesas, just before Bruma.

There’s a small chapel across the road from Bar Avelina, which is on both legs of the route. The ladies in the café-bar can get the key from the neighbor who holds it and take you over, time permitting. There’s also a large century tree that is a neat photo op.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back