Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo

BeeHodge

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi all

I am planning Camino Primitivo next year but wondering what is your experience in terms of time of the year.. I am considering May or September, which is a better time
Tx

bee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me September is always the best time for the northern caminos.

I think Sept and October will be prettier but I want to get enough day light to walk.. are Albergue’s easy to find?
I did the France Camino last year in April/May and didn’t book any accommodation on route but didn’t have any problems, I am hoping to do the same.. do you think it is advisable as I understand the Primitivo is less well catered?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked into Santiago on 10/4 after starting in Oviedo on 9/24. I had foggy wet days and three or four clear and beautiful days. Overall it was cool and never hot. Some trails were mud bogs but most were dry. The excretion of climbing caused me to sweat profusely which in turned chilled me so it was a balancing act with layers. I made it a point to stop between 2 and 3 with hopes of washing and drying before what little sun was gone. Thanks to most albergues having washers and dryers when needed, I was saved from wearing wet or damp cloths. Be aware that this service is not cheap.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning for June 20 and have some difficulties to book ahead, yes already.
My walking buddy needs to send a small suitcase ahead each day (Paq Mochila Correos), so booking is necessary.
Don't know for May or September...
Be prepared - Buen Camino 😎

In late Sept early Oct sunrise is around 0800 so there is enough light to set off at 0730/0745 (I never use a light!) and some days I walked for 8 or 9 hours coving up to 50kms so plenty of day light. When I walked this year in Oct on the Primitivo there were lots of beds - some cases I was the only one on the camino. What ever you do please try to stay in Vilar de Cas - https://www.apocinademuniz.es - of all my years on the caminos its by far the best albergue of them all. Like a 5 star hotel and the owners are very helpful and have enough english to book over the phone. Also in albergue at Samblisimo is well worth staying at. Not only it is at the point where you choose between the hospitalas and Pola route but he cooks his own wonderful bread.

I left Oviedo on September 16 this year, arriving in SdC on October 1. I thought the weather was very good for walking: a little fog, a little drizzle, a little sunshine, and never very hot or cold. It’s hard to say, but I would guess that there were around 40 people per day on each stage. I had booked ahead for most but not all accommodation. In a few of the places I had not booked, the municipal albergue in Escamplero had about 20 people, and the albergues in Samblismo and Berducedo were full.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am tempted to go in mid September and hopefully covering the Camino in 14 days. I think it will be prettier with the colours of autumn.

Anyone has experience of getting to Oviedo from England? Any suggestions ? Thanks

We have always walked in May, including the Primitivo. It is cooler early in May warming up as you go through the month and everything is fresh with spring flowers. We had a holiday once in September and feel it is too hot for walking for us.
For travel UK to Oviedo you can look for a flight into Asturias airport and bus to Oviedo (40kms). Also fly into Santander and use the bus or (slow) FEVE train to Oviedo.

A further option, depending on your location and available time, is to use Brittany Ferries either Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander and then bus or FEVE to Oviedo. You can travel as a foot passenger on this route and ferry only bookings are just opening for 2020. It can work out better to wait for their holiday bookings next month and book 3 nights accommodation giving ABTA protection and often a cheaper rate. We did this with a night in Santander at cheapest hotel on their site and 2 nights in Santiago again at cheapest hotel on their site. You just have to get back to Santander at the end which takes 3or 4 days depending on how you travel, but us a good slow return to so-called 'normal' life.

We have always walked in May, including the Primitivo. It is cooler early in May warming up as you go through the month and everything is fresh with spring flowers. We had a holiday once in September and feel it is too hot for walking for us.
For travel UK to Oviedo you can look for a flight into Asturias airport and bus to Oviedo (40kms). Also fly into Santander and use the bus or (slow) FEVE train to Oviedo.

A further option, depending on your location and available time, is to use Brittany Ferries either Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander and then bus or FEVE to Oviedo. You can travel as a foot passenger on this route and ferry only bookings are just opening for 2020. It can work out better to wait for their holiday bookings next month and book 3 nights accommodation giving ABTA protection and often a cheaper rate. We did this with a night in Santander at cheapest hotel on their site and 2 nights in Santiago again at cheapest hotel on their site. You just have to get back to Santander at the end which takes 3or 4 days depending on how you travel, but us a good slow return to so-called 'normal' life.

Thank you for the tips!! I might consider flying to Bilbao and walk from there.. loads of options to consider....

I did Camino France in April/May in 2017 and Camino Finisterre and Muxia in Early April this year, so might try out September to get a different scenery...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am tempted to go in mid September and hopefully covering the Camino in 14 days. I think it will be prettier with the colours of autumn.

Anyone has experience of getting to Oviedo from England? Any suggestions ? Thanks
I took the 7 am Train from Chamartin in Madrid. You reach Oviedo at 1145, time enough to walk 25 k or so to Grado. Day 1 done. I just did the Primitivo at the end of September. Only one truly wet day. I loved being on the track early morning...0745 when it was bright enough to walk without a lamp. I personally don’t see the point of walking in the dark ! There were a few warm days, so I sweated, that’s fine. Plenty of options in Alberques....it was busy, more than usual, people said often....and really busy once you merge with CF. I made few bookings, and it all worked out. Have to say it was my favorite, loved it !

I just returned from walking the Primitivo. I started on Sept 27 and walked for 12 days. Weather was varied. Daylight was around 8am and on most days started with fog or mist. Although I had very few spells of hot temperature yet I only walked in light rain twice.

The terrain is hilly for most of the camino, especially if you choose the Hospitales route where you ascend to 1145 mtrs above sea level. You will find less hills to climb in the second week.

I met quite a few pilgrims along the way and contrary to my liking I had to pre-book some beds. I need to add that the scenery is amazing and from my six caminos the Primitivo ranks the best on most counts.

I can recommend that you book a bed at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Bodenaya where David and Celia are the best hosts ever. Laundry, dinner, breakfast, wine, beer etc is all donativo and the place is a gem. You can book by calling 645 888 984 / 609 133 151.

Buon camino my friend.

PS. I fly to Santiago and took a bus to Oviedo. Tickets cost less than 9 euros and journey is less that two hours.

Hi all

I am planning Camino Primitivo next year but wondering what is your experience in terms of time of the year.. I am considering May or September, which is a better time
Tx

bee
Hi there.

I did 6 stages on the Camino Primitivo this year between 21 and 28 September and the weather was pretty much perfect. Temperature was around 25 degrees C on all days except the last when it was 10 degrees cooler and it only rained (drizzle really) on 2 days (again including the last day). On the other day it drizzled it was, in reality, really refreshing. It is a very beautiful Camino but incredibly demanding physically. I would recommend that you are in really tip-top physical shape before you start.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
We, unfortunately 😥, just abandoned the Primativo today due to heavy rain, blisters and slipping and sliding up and down ‘hills’, ( I call them steep mountains and even steeper descents 😉)... Patricia, the lovely owner at of the new arlburge Casa Suena at Salas said that she thinks June is the best time to walk it. Weather great and not too busy. She said May and September the busiest. Will try then to come back and finish,what so far I would say,is the most beautiful Camino.

Sorry to hear you needed to abandon your way. I completely understand, I would not want to walk down several of those steep slopes in wet conditions. They are hard enough in dry conditions!

Thank you for the tips!! I might consider flying to Bilbao and walk from there.. loads of options to consider....

I did Camino France in April/May in 2017 and Camino Finisterre and Muxia in Early April this year, so might try out September to get a different scenery...
Then please walk Camino Olvidado which goes from Bilbao to Leon, but you can join the San Salvador at Buiza, it is an outstanding route!

This summer I flew to Santiago and then got the bus to Oviedo (about 6 hours). Vueling fly into Coruña and you could get the narrow gauge train from there to Oviedo.

Walked in May this year. 11 days.
Weather for walking - good. Few days of fog and rain, when entering Galicia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just returned from walking the Primitivo. .....
..... I fly to Santiago and took a bus to Oviedo. Tickets cost less than 9 euros and journey is less that two hours.

I am planning on walking the Camino Primitivo next Autumn with some friends and hadn't really considered flying to Santiago. Surely it is more expensive and takes longer than that to get to Oviedo! Maybe it is Santander you are thinking of?

Sorry for not checking my post!!! Got a bit distracted with planning my Primitivo for next year.
Thanks everyone for your input..someone also suggested that I can fly to Santander and then take a bus to Oviedo where I would start my Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.