• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who is walking on VdlP in 2020?

Ad van Brunschot

Time of past OR future Camino
2001: biking Netherlands to SdC
2019: walking VldP, Sevilla-Aljucen
2020: Aljucen-SdC
Next year (2020) I will be walking on Via de la Plata. I want to use this thread to take a look of whom I can expect on this camino. I want to keep a schedule of all the data and location where the pelegrinos start in 2020. I will check this forum or you can send me a mail with your account name, the location and date where you start.

January

February
10: Sevilla, fb1
12: Sevilla-Zafra, TrishB
14: Sevilla, Heather1
22: Sevilla-Salamanca, Andresi
26: Sevilla, MegaMeterKarl
29: Sevilla-Caceres, Tom (IowaPlilgrim)

March
1: Sevilla, CatPhillips
4: Zafra, AnnieSantiago and Joe
7: Sevilla, Birte and Herluf
8/9: Sevilla, BartM
9: Sevilla, Rellrog
13: Sevilla-Salamanca, Pilger Franz
14: Sevilla, OnHellas
18: Sevilla, Zen Librarian
20:Tábara, OzAnnie
20: Sevilla, TaraUltreia
21: Sevilla, migz
26: Sevilla, Mark Camilli
26: Sevilla: EllenVerbakel
28: Sevilla, PeteD
??: Rio Negro, Ritaj

April
Beginning of April, Sevilla, Grace3808
Early April, Sevilla, Paddy Brock
somewhere in April, Sevilla, PK Smit
last week in April or first week in May, Sevilla, ManShootsSnap
3: Rio Negro, ritaj
5: Sevilla, Goran
6: Merida, FrankWall
6: Merida, cher99840
10: Sevilla, Barrym81
16: Zafra, frida1
18: Sevilla, george.g
20: Aljucen, Ad van Brunschot
20: Sevilla, Davie Blisters
25/26: Sevilla, JustinB
27: Sevilla, ManShootSnap

May
May?: Sevilla, Scott Hardwick
9: Sevilla, Maze 73
22: Salamanca, John Sikora

June
12: Zamora, Via2010

July

August

September
17: Aljucen, Ad van Brunschot

October

November

December

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope you Robo are okay this year. ‘Major issues to fix’. All the best with it.

@Ad van Brunschot
I’m heading back to start from where I stopped early May.2019

From March 20,2020 continuing from Tábara (on Sanabrés) to Santiago .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope you Robo are okay this year. ‘Major issues to fix’. All the best with it.

@Ad van Brunschot
I’m heading back to start from where I stopped early May.2019

From March 20,2020 continuing from Tábara (on Sanabrés) to Santiago .

Thanks and buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If everything went according to plan, me and my wife will start in Sevilla some time in April

Our plan, me and my significant other, is to start the VdlP from mid March after walking the Via Serrana.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be starting around February 22 from Sevilla to Salamanca.

Visiting family in Tasmania and Sydney in February/March - then back to UK to get fit for VDLP from Seville 20 April (ish). Don't drink all the vino tinto before I arrive :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my way.....day ten....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mid march 2020 I will start in Sevilla for Salamanca.
Anybody else starting on the via at this time?
BC
Franz
Start previously on 13th, finish in Salamanca around April 8th

Hi , I am starting from Seville on March 26th.

Mark

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If all is well, a big "if" for we aging peregrinos, we will pick up again in March 2020 where we left off last October in Rio Negro and head to Santiago....

Ritaj

My wife and I will likely be starting on March 9th from Sevilla We would consider later in the week just to have company on the first few days. Heard of possible instances of theft In Andalucia and think that company would be wise. Not terribly worried since most people I know doing the La Plata have not had any problems.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wish I could. I had planned to. But some major health issues to fix first!
Given 2021 is a Holy Year.
It will probably be 2022 for me........
Hi Robo. I hope the health issues will be sorted very soon. I always enjoy reading your contributions. I had a some lingering health issues myself this year so I couldn't go. But thinking about Autumn 2020 now. Sending you best wishes pilgrim

Planning to depart Seville on March 28th heading to SdC via Astorga. In Astorga I'm hoping to join my wife Margaret who is walking the CF as her first Camino! Coordinating our rendezvous may be a bit of a challenge but will be so worthwhile to share the last part through Galicia. Looking forward to meeting fellow pelegrinos on the VdlP!

Around June 12th from Zamora via the Sanabrés to Santiago/Fisterra/Muxía.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next year (2020) I will be walking on Via de la Plata. I want to use this thread to take a look of whom I can expect on this camino. I want to keep a schedule of all the data and location where the pelegrinos start in 2020. I will check this forum or you can send me a mail with your account name, the location and date where you start.

January

February
22: Sevilla-Salamanca, Andresin

March
20: Tábara, OzAnnie

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
May, Sevilla

I wish I could. I had planned to. But some major health issues to fix first!
Given 2021 is a Holy Year.
It will probably be 2022 for me........

Hope things are looking up for you health wise! So not related to this thread but kind of: What are the implications of walking the VDLP on a holy year? Because 2021 was my target for this route

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hope things are looking up for you health wise! So not related to this thread but kind of: What are the implications of walking the VDLP on a holy year? Because 2021 was my target for this route

A Holy Year means a huge increase in Pilgrims.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

January

February

March

April
20: Seville, Leslie Bell
May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

A Holy Year means a huge increase in Pilgrims.

Dear Elisabeth,

Robos statement is valid mainly on the CF and mainly on the last 100 km. The VdP is different.

I walked the last Stretch of the VdP (Camino Sanabrés) in late May/June 2010 and did never have any problems to find a bed, not even in small places like Lubian, even though my parents who joined me then were not really "early birds" and rarely managed to start before 8 o'clock in the morning.

I would try to avoid peak season (March/April) which is already crowded in "normal years" and not worry too much.

BC
Alexandra

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Elisabeth,

Robos statement is valid mainly on the CF and mainly on the last 100 km. The VdP is different.

I walked the last Stretch of the VdP (Camino Sanabrés) in late May/June 2010 and did never have any problems to find a bed, not even in small places like Lubian, even though my parents who joined me then were not really "early birds" and rarely managed to start before 8 o'clock in the morning.

I would try to avoid peak season (March/April) which is already crowded in "normal years" and not worry too much.

BC
Alexandra

Is March/April the 'peak' for VdlP?
Darn, I was planning March.
May/June would be fairly hot I imagine.

Is March/April the 'peak' for VdlP?
From what I have heard - yes. In September, I had a chat with the hospitalera at the Rehoboth albergue in Vilar Farfon. She described a Spring peak for pilgrims who followed VDLP from the south (timing depends Easter dates) then a drop off in mid-summer and a smaller peak in the fall.

With regard to the increase in pilgrim numbers during Holy Year - predictions are difficult, especially about the future, but I would expect a pretty hefty surge from Ourense onward. I think Galicia has been promoting Ourense as an alternative 100km starting point to Sarria. I hope the towns and villages on that last stretch have good plans in place to absorb additional pilgrim traffic.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
Feb 29 Seville to Caceres, Tom

€60,-
I will start at the end of March. Hope to see some pilgrims on my way. Maybe we can meet up in the albergue in Seville on March 26?

I will start at the end of March. Hope to see some pilgrims on my way. Maybe we can meet up in the albergue in Seville on March 26?

Ellen, Mark Camilli is also starting on 26 at Sevilla

Ellen, I get into Seville on 24th and intend starting on 26th, stopping at Italica then walking onto to Guillena the first day.

I think I will stay at Triana backpackers in Seville as it has good comments by other members on the forum, how about you?
Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

January

February

March

April

May

June
7: Salamanca,dreymorris

July

August

September

October

November

December

Starting in Malaga in mid Feb, joining the Via in Merida then will take the Sanabres option into SDC.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just booked my ticket from Toronto, Canada and plan to start the walk from SJPP around the 10th or 11th of April. I arrive in Paris on April 8 and have not yet booked my train ticket. My plan is to walk the entire route in 5 to 6 weeks. I have allowed some extra time as I like to stay a few days in some places. This will be my first camino although I did complete the Inca Trail in 2015. I am doing the walk alone and hoping to find lots of great information on this blog.
HI pilgrim! I think your post belongs more in the Camino Frances threads, as one of the common start points of the Camino Frances is SJPP. Which is actually not even on the Camino Via de la Plata! I hope you have a wonderful walk!
Moderators, can you consider moving this bit over? Thanks!

HI pilgrim! I think your post belongs more in the Camino Frances threads, as one of the common start points of the Camino Frances is SJPP. Which is actually not even on the Camino Via de la Plata! I hope you have a wonderful walk!
Moderators, can you consider moving this bit over? Thanks!
Thank you. I am new and actually did figure this out when I searched the acronym. I have been looking at the other sites.

Plan to arrive Merida on April 5 and begin walking on April 6. In the spring of 2017 I walked from Seville to Merida and want to take up where I left off.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan to arrive Merida on April 5 and begin walking on April 6. In the spring of 2017 I walked from Seville to Merida and want to take up where I left off.
Hi cher
Great time for Mérida as 2020 Holy Week starts April 5
Not sure if your finish there in spring 2017 was during the Semana Santa but I was in Mérida last year (2019 ) during that period and stopped for 2 nights. As you know there is so much to see there anytime but the night processions during Semana Santa are wonderful.
Buen camino.
Annie

Hi cher
Great time for Mérida as 2020 Holy Week starts April 5
Not sure if your finish there in spring 2017 was during the Semana Santa but I was in Mérida last year (2019 ) during that period and stopped for 2 nights. As you know there is so much to see there anytime but the night processions during Semana Santa are wonderful.
Buen camino.
Annie

Hi Annie,

Coincidentally, I did arrive in Merida in 2017 at the beginning of Semana Santa. (April 2) All the way from Seville there were store windows decorated for the celebration. I just stayed in Merida until the 4th, so will be arriving in 2020 about the same time.

Buen Camino
Cherie

Hi, l will be starting from Seville on Saturday the 18th of April, walking solo until Cacares where my family will join me and walk to Salamanca when they depart to uk. After Salamanca I’ll walk on to SDC via the Sanabrese, or if I feel brave enough the Torres, so if you want company send me a pm.
Regards
George

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We start in Merida around the 6th April. Will have had a few days in Seville but don’t really have enough time to walk-in the whole way.
Can’t wait to meet other Pilgrims along the path.
Frank

Im looking at either last week in April or first week in May from Seville
Im asuming, it wont be too hot early May

January

February
beginning of February, Heather1

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Im looking at either last week in April or first week in May from Seville
Im asuming, it wont be too hot early May
Hi & welcome
Weather forecasting is just that. I hope it’s a perfect time for you in 2020.
Just keep in mind that although you’ll be in Seville in early May ..... time moves as you walk.
It will be hotter through Extremadura I’d ‘assume ‘, and further as you walk into later may. ..

Buen camino
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If all is well, a big "if" for we aging peregrinos, we will pick up again in March 2020 where we left off last October in Rio Negro and head to Santiago....

Ritaj
Hi @ritaj
I hope ‘if’ becomes a definite ‘going ‘. What day in March would you expect to start walking from Rio Negro?
I’ll be around there approximately 22nd March ‘give or take ‘.
Annie

January

February
12th Sevilla - Zafra Trishb

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

€149,-
I'm planning on going sometime in March - starting in Seville and going all the way through to Santiago via Astorga. It's not my first Camino, but it is my first VdlP. I'm trying to juggle 2 weeks of language classes in Malage beforehand, but I'm worried about how much time I'll have!

I plan to start in Zafra about April 16 and walk to Salamanca.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning on going sometime in March - starting in Seville and going all the way through to Santiago via Astorga. It's not my first Camino, but it is my first VdlP. I'm trying to juggle 2 weeks of language classes in Malage beforehand, but I'm worried about how much time I'll have!
You’ll love it. Although the intention to spend 2 weeks at spanish classes sounds good . Unless you have enough time or intend to do the Vdlp in sections ; I’d suggest it would be less stress to just start walking. You could still visit Malaga first but head out sooner. Try to practice as you walk though. (Unless you’re a wizz kid you won’t end up fluent in 2 weeks ) - on the road chatting to locals can be really helpful for your language learning.
Buen camino
Annie

Hi @ritaj
I hope ‘if’ becomes a definite ‘going ‘. What day in March would you expect to start walking from Rio Negro?
I’ll be around there approximately 22nd March ‘give or take ‘.
Annie

So sad that we will be behind you. We just made reservations for April 1 to fly from Boston to Madrid, then take a bus to Benevente and hopefully get there in time to get a bus to Rio Negro. If anyone has a better way of doing this we'd love to hear about it.

So I guess we'll start walking around April 3 (or 4th if we don't make the two buses in time).

So sad that we will be behind you. We just made reservations for April 1 to fly from Boston to Madrid, then take a bus to Benevente and hopefully get there in time to get a bus to Rio Negro. If anyone has a better way of doing this we'd love to hear about it.

So I guess we'll start walking around April 3 (or 4th if we don't make the two buses in time).

Sounds like a good time to walk Ritaj.
Just a thought though ; have you looked at the app: rome2rio.com
It’s a good place to find ways to get anywhere and indicates whether buses or trains are available.

You may be a bit more savvy than me and already have access to timetables but when I check buses from Benavente to Rionegro Del puente on this app ., it’s telling me that bus only runs once a week.

For my reconnecting to start, I’m going to get a bus from Madrid to Zamora , then another bus from Zamora to Tábara.. May even sleep at Zamora and take it easy.

Maybe someone else can give you the correct info but best to check. You always have the option of cabs and not too expensive over the short distances.

Buen camino
Annie

I’m not too concerned with cheapness, but I don’t See anyplace called Primark.

Hello frida1,

You won't find a place called Primark. You are the victim of humour.

In your message you said 'Zara' instead of Zafra. Zara is a clothes shop business here in the UK. Primark is also a clothes shop, but much less expensive than Zara.

Hope that helps.

Buen (mythical place-finding)Camino

Fine weather in Sevilla! 14°C today, ascending next days.
Yippeeh!
BC
Franz
So happy for you! Glorious walking temperature!! / on the ground weather info is good to go by / my app predicts rain for Saturday ? You’re at the source tho and sounds great. Just have your gear handy.
Buen camino

I look forward to start the VdlP on 26th, February from Seville via Camino Sanabres to SdC.

€60,-

January

February

March
sometime in March, Sevilla, TaraUltreia

April

May
1st May arrive in St Jean Pied du Port- Deidre, Jane, Nicole, Tinka and Eve- walk to Santiago
June

July

August

September

October

November

December

€149,-

January

February

March
sometime in March, Sevilla, TaraUltreia
21: Sevilla, Migz

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Hi, Im about to make bookings to start Via de la Plata in early April and would like to know if many others are leaving Sevilla around that time , always useful to know that fellow pilgrims are about in time of need.

€83,-
Hi, Im about to make bookings to start Via de la Plata in early April and would like to know if many others are leaving Sevilla around that time , always useful to know that fellow pilgrims are about in time of need.
I am leaving Seville on 21st March. Buen Camino!

Looks like I'll be leaving Seville on or about the 20th of March! Can't wait!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

January

February

March
6: Sevilla, Rellrog
20:Tábara, OzAnnie
20: Sevilla, TaraUltreia
21: Sevilla, migz

April
Early April, Sevilla, Paddy Brock
10: Sevilla, Barrym81
25/26: Sevilla, JustinB
27: Sevilla, ManShootSnap

May
9: Sevilla, Maze 73

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Will actually be leaving Sevilla on the 6th of March...a slight change in plans.

I'll be leaving Seville April 12th....

Looks Im going leave Seville April 6 now. Had a trip from Venice to Florence planned and now that off the table. Will go to Florence after Santiago God willing

Hi, I’m hoping to start from Seville on the 19th May as far as Caceres but haven’t booked yet.
As I’m only going as far as Caceres to start with, is it mainly on roads? I found the Portuguese Way was bad from Lisbon most of the way to Porto and ended up with black socks from dual carriageway pollution which wouldn’t wash out so I was forced to take some trains. Luckily they ran along most of that stretch of the Camino. I don’t want to find these first stages disappointing as well so any comments would be appreciated as well as finding out if anyone else walks in May around then?

From Sevilla with my partner around 8/9 March, we hope.
In the end we started in Cadiz to do the Via Augusta on 4th March.
We did not see any other pilgrims in the six days we were walking. Weather was great, signage could be better but was not hopeless. We got increasingly worried about the situation as we went on, in the end we took the bus to Sevilla, stayed a day and came home.
We travelled by train from London both ways, 2.5 hours on the Eurostar to Paris, 11 hours to Perpignan on the sleeper, 4.5 hours Perpignan to Madrid, 4 hours Madrid to Cadiz, much the same in reverse.
Self-isolation at home now.

I started from Sevilla on March 13th. After two days, in Castilblanco, CV came over me and several other pilgrims. All albergues and hostales werde closed.
Three of us were happy to stay overnight in a hotel which was still open and well equipped with WLAN :) and to get flights home before the frontiers were closed. So things went well for us.

One younger pilgrim, Jan from Germany, decided to go on. Does anybody know anything about him?
How is he now? Safe and sound, I hope, in best case: He changed his mind, escaped and is at home now.

Last edited:

€149,-
Ofcourse I did change my plans, my health is much more important. The date now is start 17 September at Aljucen.

Hi Ad,
I did so as well.
The renewed start date will bei 1 March, 2021!

I started from Sevilla on March 13th. After two days, in Castilblanco, CV came over me and several other pilgrims. All albergues and hostales werde closed.
Three of us were happy to stay overnight in a hotel which was still open and well equipped with WLAN :) and to get flights home before the frontiers were closed. So things went well for us.

One younger pilgrim, Jan from Germany, decided to go on. Does anybody know anything about him?
How is he now? Safe and sound, I hope, in best case: He changed his mind, escaped and is at home now.
You experienced coronavirus symptoms and took a flight? Did you take any advice from a healthcare professional or other authority about doing that?

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back