• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation, Markina-Xemein and Guernica

James Trehy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys
I am trying to research some accommodation in Markina-Xemein and Guernica and cannot find anywhere that has decent reviews.
Has anyone stayed there recently and had a good experience ?
Regards
James

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought "Intxauspe landetxea" (no kidding!) in Markina was excellent. A classic camino stay with a communal meal and a hearty welcome. The Hotel Bolina in Guernica was all I could get on the Easter weekend. Not as bad as the reputation led me to expect, and a perfectly acceptable "rooms above the bar" kind of place. That's a challenging and beautiful stretch on the Norte.....you'll be too tired to worry about the accommodations too much anyway!

Buen Camino

I thought "Intxauspe landetxea" (no kidding!) in Markina was excellent. A classic camino stay with a communal meal and a hearty welcome. The Hotel Bolina in Guernica was all I could get on the Easter weekend. Not as bad as the reputation led me to expect, and a perfectly acceptable "rooms above the bar" kind of place. That's a challenging and beautiful stretch on the Norte.....you'll be too tired to worry about the accommodations too much anyway!

Buen Camino
I agree with the recommendation of Intxauspe landetxea. They have both private rooms a a dorm. They also serve an optional communal dinner and breakfast.

I also stayed at Hotel Boliña, which was adequate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've enjoyed my stay at both Intxauspe (especially on a sunny day--that outdoor area is lovely) and the convent. Last time I stayed at the youth hostel in Gernika (a couple years back), I found it much improved over earlier stays.

That said, this last time around I stayed at the monastery in Zenarruza and the albergue in Eskerika, and was equally happy with that approach! Plus, there are a couple of smaller places that have popped up after Gernika, if Eskerika is too far. More options than ever in this stretch!

As well as the Intxauspe, which is lovely and comfortable with a most hospitable and friendly senora---perhaps one of my favourite accommodations in the Basque country, about 2km south of Markina is the slightly pricey but interesting Hotel Antsotegi, with its rooms leading off a large atrium with a huge chimney. I have stayed at the Hotel Gernika in Guernica which is perhaps a bit too dear for its quality, but with facilities improved greatly in the past few years-- it seems to cater to a business and automobile tourist clientèle, but the staff is very helpful.

The stay at Intxauspe was excellent. Great food, laundry facilities, and they will pick you up at the nearby football field. I stayed in a single room with private bath so cannot comment on the dorm rooms. They can be contacted at casarural.intxauspe@gmail.com to make arrangements.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As well as the Intxauspe, which is lovely and comfortable with a most hospitable and friendly senora---perhaps one of my favourite accommodations in the Basque country, about 2km south of Markina is the slightly pricey but interesting Hotel Antsotegi, with its rooms leading off a large atrium with a huge chimney. I have stayed at the Hotel Gernika in Guernica which is perhaps a bit too dear for its quality, but with facilities improved greatly in the past few years-- it seems to cater to a business and automobile tourist clientèle, but the staff is very helpful.
How far off the track is Hotel Antsotegi ? And where do you turn off?

Head SW (to your left) when you enter Markina/Marquina until you get to Karmengo Kalea (highway BI-2636). Either walk along the road until Iturrea Azoa which you will take to the right for about 150metres and you will see the Hotel; or (and this is much nicer) take the green path-- alas I can't figure out where that leads out of Markina, but ask around and you will find people to be helpful. The green path was fairly busy with diligent walkers, and it's about 30 minutes from the plaza. I hope that this is not too confusing.

Head SW (to your left) when you enter Markina/Marquina until you get to Karmengo Kalea (highway BI-2636). Either walk along the road until Iturrea Azoa which you will take to the right for about 150metres and you will see the Hotel; or (and this is much nicer) take the green path-- alas I can't figure out where that leads out of Markina, but ask around and you will find people to be helpful. The green path was fairly busy with diligent walkers, and it's about 30 minutes from the plaza. I hope that this is not too confusing.
Thank you so much. Last time we had a double room at Casa Intxuaspe which was really good but thought we might have a change.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've enjoyed my stay at both Intxauspe (especially on a sunny day--that outdoor area is lovely) and the convent. Last time I stayed at the youth hostel in Gernika (a couple years back), I found it much improved over earlier stays.

That said, this last time around I stayed at the monastery in Zenarruza and the albergue in Eskerika, and was equally happy with that approach! Plus, there are a couple of smaller places that have popped up after Gernika, if Eskerika is too far. More options than ever in this stretch!
Having trouble finding the Markina monastery online to make reservations. Suggestions?

Yes, just found it too...it looks to be a few miles out of Markina and I didn't know the name. Thank you, now to figure out how to reserve! It doesn;t look obvious on their site. I sent email. Any other suggestions?

Having trouble finding the Markina monastery online to make reservations. Suggestions?
Monasteries didn't use to do reservations. These days, who knows? We stayed at the Benedictine sisters' convent in Markina in 2018, had evening meal out on the town. The enclosed courtyard helps your clothes to get nice and dry.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.