• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top 10 Best Walks in the World

Hank

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (May - June 2015)
Many of you have seen my Camino video and messaged me about it (thanks!), and It's been too long since I've been on the Camino. But my brother and I have been hiking all over the world over the past ten years in the meantime. We put together a video listing our picks for the 10 best walks we've done over the past decade -- and yes, the Camino de Santiago Francés is in it, including video from my original trip. I hope this helps someone who has done the Camino and is looking for their next challenge!

-Hank

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many of you have seen my Camino video and messaged me about it (thanks!), and It's been too long since I've been on the Camino. But my brother and I have been hiking all over the world over the past ten years in the meantime. We put together a video listing our picks for the 10 best walks we've done over the past decade -- and yes, the Camino de Santiago Francés is in it, including video from my original trip. I hope this helps someone who has done the Camino and is looking for their next challenge!

-Hank
Thanks for sharing!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

-Hank
Thanks guys loved your video. I never tire of going on new walking adventures one of my favourites is the South Coast Walk in Tasmania. You get dropped off by light plane and walk out with no huts, roads or services along the way.

Beautiful photography with engaging narration. Loved it.

Peg and I got lucky getting a last minute wilderness permit in April for the Grand Canyon. We just had to wait one day first on the south rim. The ranger said the permits were usually all taken by December. It was one of our best backpacking trips.

Apart from the Overland Track in Tassie there are at least two other Australian hike trails I can recommend. The Great Ocean Road track (about 100km SW of Melbourne Vic) it can be walked as a camping adventure or you can stay in B & Bs. It usually takes between 4 and 5 days. The other hike is the Bibbleman Trail in W.A (over on the far west coast). Its over 1000km and from what I have read usually takes 5/7 weeks depending on your walking speed. As you might expect many people walk it in stages. Thanks for your video.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done most of the Bibbulmun track and can highly recommend it too! It's nothing like the Caminos as it's mainly walking through bush and you have to carry food etc. Many will take a tent rather than sleeping on the sleep platforms, but locals tend to like sleeping on them. The shelters are pretty neat though.

The Bibb goes through a few towns and villages where you can sleep in a proper bed and resupply. The northern terminus is a 50 minute bus ride from the centre of Perth, so it's very accessible. The track finishes in the town of Albany.

It's recommended that you avoid walking from Nov thru March due to excessive heat, bushfire threat and lack of water. The shelters do have water tanks which should be full most of the year. The best months are September, October and April, May.

You meet some very interesting people too, families out for a weekend hike, many retired people with interesting stories to international thru-hikers taking on the whole 1003.5 km.

It's an awesome track. Check out more info from the official Bibb website and foundation..

https://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

-Hank
Excellent video. Glad to see the Camino de Santiago listed as one of your favourites. Not sure if you've been on the Inca Trail or the Salkantay Trail in Peru, but those are great hikes as well. I have Everest Base Camp on my bucket list. Someday in the not too distant future, I will make it! Cheers!!

Just wondering if any of you have tried the new walking/hiking trails in the Balkans. We read this article in the Guardian last year & the Green, White, & Blue trails described there sound pretty inviting. However, we're not sure if they might be a bit too challenging for us. If you have tried these, can you report on any challenges (e.g. steep climbs, distance between accommodations &/or food), compared with the Camino Frances?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks guys loved your video. I never tire of going on new walking adventures one of my favourites is the South Coast Walk in Tasmania. You get dropped off by light plane and walk out with no huts, roads or services along the way.

Thanks for the tip, Sandra! Though I've done a lot of hiking in New Zealand, I've done nothing in Australia or Tasmania so I always like to hear ideas for those places. Tasmania has been on my list for a long time now
-Hank

Beautiful photography with engaging narration. Loved it.

Peg and I got lucky getting a last minute wilderness permit in April for the Grand Canyon. We just had to wait one day first on the south rim. The ranger said the permits were usually all taken by December. It was one of our best backpacking trips.

So glad you liked the video! Yeah, doing the Grand Canyon in April sounds ideal! It's a fantastic adventure for sure. I've been wanting to get back to the Grand Canyon again to do more trips there because there's actually limitless possibility beyond just rim-to-rim, so I want to start digging into more
-Hank

€149,-
Apart from the Overland Track in Tassie there are at least two other Australian hike trails I can recommend. The Great Ocean Road track (about 100km SW of Melbourne Vic) it can be walked as a camping adventure or you can stay in B & Bs. It usually takes between 4 and 5 days. The other hike is the Bibbleman Trail in W.A (over on the far west coast). Its over 1000km and from what I have read usually takes 5/7 weeks depending on your walking speed. As you might expect many people walk it in stages. Thanks for your video.

Wow, this is super helpful, because I haven't managed to get to Australia for hiking trips yet (even though I've been to New Zealand). I've considered sections of the Bibbleman trail before. Can't wait to get out there
-Hank

-Hank

Great video and list!!

From those I have done the Camino Frances, the West Coast Trail and will be heading over to do the Tour de Mont Blanc this year after my next Camino Frances.

In the future I hope to get to the US to try out some of the great trails down there.

If you want a mid-tier coastal challenge hike I recommend the Lycian Way in Turkey. It takes about 3 weeks and you basically walk on and off the Med coast from South-West Turkey to Antalya. I had a great time and you want to start in late Sep/Early Oct or it can be too hot.

I have done most of the Bibbulmun track and can highly recommend it too!

Wow, you're who I'm going to message for advice when I head out to do this trip. I've been wanting to do it for awhile!
-Hank

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excellent video. Glad to see the Camino de Santiago listed as one of your favourites. Not sure if you've been on the Inca Trail or the Salkantay Trail in Peru, but those are great hikes as well.

My brother and I haven't done the Incan Trail or Kilimanjaro (yet) because we dislike hikes where you're legally required to have a guide, on principle. However, I'm sure we'll get around to the Salkanatay at some point. We've thought about it before. Thanks for the suggestions!
-Hank

Just wondering if any of you have tried the new walking/hiking trails in the Balkans. We read this article in the Guardian last year & the Green, White, & Blue trails described there sound pretty inviting. However, we're not sure if they might be a bit too challenging for us. If you have tried these, can you report on any challenges (e.g. steep climbs, distance between accommodations &/or food), compared with the Camino Frances?
My family spent 10 days in Albania a couple summers ago. We did not do any multi day trekking; however, we did spend some time hiking in the Albanian alps. Feel free to message me and I’ll send you our blog post. It’s rugged territory around Theth and valbone. We walked from theth over the pass to valbone and did day hikes from both theth and valbone. Spectacular scenery, untouched, beautiful people. I have researched longer trips in the area and would love to return for more!

My family spent 10 days in Albania a couple summers agoWe walked from theth over the pass to valbone and did day hikes from both theth and valbone.

That sounds amazing. I'll add that to my list!!
-Hank

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want a mid-tier coastal challenge hike I recommend the Lycian Way in Turkey. It takes about 3 weeks and you basically walk on and off the Med coast from South-West Turkey to Antalya. I had a great time and you want to start in late Sep/Early Oct or it can be too hot.

I've always wanted to do Lycian Way, especially since I've never been to Turkey. Did you camp or did you stay in hostel/hotels etc.? Which section was your favorite?
-Hank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad you liked it! Any suggestions on where we should go in Ireland? :)
-Hank

Hi Hank!

Check out the Wild Atlantic Way, it covers the whole west coastline of Ireland from Donegal in the north west(over 2000km), to West Cork in the south west. I haven't hiked it yet myself but plan to do so, or you can do sections too of course. I've been to all of the counties along the route, (wildatlanticway.com) there's stunning scenery, mountains, beautiful beaches and great cities/towns near the route too, just don't forget your rain gear 😊

There's also pilgrim routes in Ireland and you can get a pilgrim passport for them too, check out pilgrimpaths.ie. There's the Ring of Kerry which is spectacular and the
Coastal Causeway Route in Northern Ireland which is a section of the long distance route , The Ulster Way (1070km)...you'll visit the Giant's Causeway on this section, a UNESCO site with breathtaking scenery.

Hope that helps, there's plenty more where that came from too! Loved your video, cheers! 🤗🇨🇮🇨🇮

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back