• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minor Glitch Hopefully - Asking for Prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Annie, once more, for your open trust. For that you get what each of us offers: support, prayer, positive energy - whatever way each one prefers to express it. Take it all. And tomorrow is a new day...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is good to have a diagnosis and be working on a plan. I will give you a few details from my experience. They are not intended as advice!
  • My cancer was HER2 +3, and fast-growing, which is not a good thing except that a new designer drug (Herceptin) had just become available for treating such cancers. This is not as debilitating as the traditional chemos. I also had the traditional chemo since it was only after I had done it that Herceptin came into use for early stage cancers. I don't know if the old chemos are still being used if Herceptin is thought to be useful. I also don't know if it is used for HER2 scores of 2 (mine was 3). But Herceptin was easy compared with chemo.
  • I had a lumpectomy which didn't get clear margins, so I went back for a mastectomy. I chose the mastectomy rather than another lumpectomy, as I decided that I didn't really want a deformed breast and I could avoid radiation by having the mastectomy. I didn't find the result (one sided flat chest) to be disturbing at all. I did not find the surgery to be difficult in terms of recovery and I was glad to be rid of the breast. I think that walking a month after surgery could be possible, but everyone recovers differently and it is impossible to predict.
  • I had no problems with the estrogen blockers for 5 years.
I personally know ladies who were diagnosed with breast cancer and have lived 15 years so far and are still going strong!
We are everywhere! It is an experience of my past. You will put it behind, too.

I wish you well. Please consider all the options that are offered. If you want to PM with any questions, please do so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am also aware that this thread could turn into a discussion of the merits/demerits of various treatment options. This could be a problem and is not really directly related to the camino. If Annie and/or the moderators choose, maybe we could turn this into a group Conversation instead. I don't mind deleting my post, although I was careful to keep it an account of my experience without recommendations for or against any treatment.

Ok. I have a diagnosis :::drum roll::

Papillary Invasive Carcinoma

Wouldn't you know I'd get a rare type of cancer that only affects 1% of breast cancer patients?!
Sheesh!

He also said Estrogen Receptor Positive and
HER2 - 2 score
I have no idea what those mean

I have just, literally, now begun researching this and the GOOD news is, from what I've read in the past 1/2 hour, it is a very slow growing, in situ type of cancer.

So... what comes next is an appointment with both an Oncologist and Breast Surgeon to hear what they have to say.

Then, my Camino in March/April, so I can walk, pray, think and sort out my options.

I'd love to hear from any of you with this diagnosis or who know anyone with it.
Right now I'm feeling:

Chemo is NOT an option.
Radiation is NOT an option.
So my choices are:

1. Lumpectomy
2. Mastectomy
3. Do Nothing but diet, meditation/visualization, and walking

I'm leaning toward #3 but I have more faith in nature and I'm not a very good patient.
My MCS has given me a VERY low pain threshold and after the pain of this freaking biopsy, I can't imagine a lumpectomy or mastectomy!

Thank you all for listening and being there as I take this brand new journey.

Sending you all lots of love and gratitude!
Annie

Well, seems you found yourself a rare bicho ;-) BUT one that can be tamed/treated!

As this is a VERY treatable cancer, you really should jump on all the options:

Chemo is not as it used to be, side effects are far more manageable and less heavy then they used to be years ago.
Radiation - The same, far more focused now and far less invasive to the surrounding tissue.
Operation - Yes, get as much of the bugger out as it is possible.

Annie, I sense that you knew somebody that went through cancer treatment and you/s/he felt that the treatment was worse then the disease. These things have CHANGED!

Love, hugs and prayers from Santiago, SY

PS Listen to the oncologist and you will have more than one Camino in your future!

Annie,

First: Pest you are Not!

Second: Last year my mom was diagnosed with estrogen receptor breast cancer.

She had a lumpectomy and is now on estrogen blockers.

Because of her age, 88, chemo and radiation are out of the picture.

Doctors and meds are healers too.

Take care.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, seems you found yourself a rare bicho ;-) BUT one that can be tamed/treated!

As this is a VERY treatable cancer, you really should jump on all the options:

Chemo is not as it used to be, side effects are far more manageable and less heavy then they used to be years ago.
Radiation - The same, far more focused now and far less invasive to the surrounding tissue.
Operation - Yes, get as much of the bugger out as it is possible.

Annie, I sense that you knew somebody that went through cancer treatment and you/s/he felt that the treatment was worse then the disease. These things have CHANGED!

Love, hugs and prayers from Santiago, SY

PS Listen to the oncologist and you will have more than one Camino in your future!

Yes, I have spoken with several hundred women (literally) in the past few weeks, actually, both who have and who have not done radiation and chemo.

My aunt had a mastectomy in her 30s and lived to be 89. This or a lumpectomy MAY be an option. We'll see what the Oncologist says.

or.. I may just do nothing and enjoy what good years I have in front of me, using diet and exercise, meditation and prayer. We'll see. Right now my brain is exploding with information and I'm trying to sort it all out. :)

In the end, I have had a life they write books and movies about.
I can't complain, no matter which way this goes.
But I feel in my gut I still have a lot of time left to enjoy.

Yes, I have spoken with several hundred women (literally) in the past few weeks, actually, both who have and who have not done radiation and chemo.

My aunt had a mastectomy in her 30s and lived to be 89. This or a lumpectomy MAY be an option. We'll see what the Oncologist says.

or.. I may just do nothing and enjoy what good years I have in front of me, using diet and exercise, meditation and prayer. We'll see. Right now my brain is exploding with information and I'm trying to sort it all out. :)

In the end, I have had a life they write books and movies about.
I can't complain, no matter which way this goes.
But I feel in my gut I still have a lot of time left to enjoy.

Annie, so sorry you have had this diagnosis. But - you have the diagnosis now, and you know what you are dealing with (or you'll know more when you have read more and talked more with your medical team). It's wonderful that you will still be able to go and do your Camino, so you will have that time to think and breathe. Whatever you decide to do - continuing to send you love and best wishes.

Dearest Annie, you have been strength for so many people for so long on this site and on this Way, how could you not expect us all to jump at the chance to repay the favor? You are in our collective hearts and prayers and know you will make the best decisions for yourself. We all look forward to seeing you on the Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok. I have a diagnosis :::drum roll::

Papillary Invasive Carcinoma

Wouldn't you know I'd get a rare type of cancer that only affects 1% of breast cancer patients?!
Sheesh!

He also said Estrogen Receptor Positive and
HER2 - 2 score
I have no idea what those mean

I have just, literally, now begun researching this and the GOOD news is, from what I've read in the past 1/2 hour, it is a very slow growing, in situ type of cancer.

So... what comes next is an appointment with both an Oncologist and Breast Surgeon to hear what they have to say.

Then, my Camino in March/April, so I can walk, pray, think and sort out my options.

I'd love to hear from any of you with this diagnosis or who know anyone with it.
Right now I'm feeling:

Chemo is NOT an option.
So my choices are:

1. Lumpectomy
2. Mastectomy

I'm leaning toward #3 but I have more faith in nature and I'm not a very good patient.
My MCS has given me a VERY low pain threshold and after the pain of this freaking biopsy, I can't imagine a lumpectomy or mastectomy!

Thank you all for listening and being there as I take this brand new journey.

Sending you all lots of love and gratitude!
Annie
Had both, lumpectomy and mastectomy and reconstruction. Took only Tylenol, never had a regret...clear in body and mind ever since. Had a girlfriend who opted for neither and it cost her, her inner peace. Until that lump was removed, as spiritual as she was, she knew it wasn't meant to be there.
It was not recommended for me to have chemo, but I was on a constant watch for a long time.
I know you will make the best decision for yourself, but don't discount the medical/surgical because you would "prefer" natural. Sometimes the better option isn't the one we'd prefer. I say that lovingly.

You will indeed be placed with the right docs, the ones chosen for your care...listen to them. Know there is no need to decide immediately. Sit with it.
Prayers to you ( btw...I'm a nurse...lol )

Last edited:
Had both, lumpectomy and mastectomy and reconstruction. Took only Tylenol, never had a regret...clear in body and mind ever since. Had a girlfriend who opted for neither and it caused her, her inner peace. Until that lump was removed, as spiritual as she was, she knew it wasn't meant to be there.
It was not recommended for me to have chemo, but I was on a constant watch for a long time.
I know you will make the best decision for yourself, but don't discount the medical/surgical because you would "prefer" natural. Sometimes the better option isn't the one we'd prefer. I say that lovingly.

You will indeed be placed with the right docs, the ones chosen for your care...listen to them. Know there is no need to decide immediately. Sit with it.
Prayers to you ( btw...I'm a nurse...lol )
Thanks Sophie.
I absolutely would consider lumpectomy or mastectomy.
At my age don't really care about reconstruction.
So yes, I'll hear what the oncologist and surgeon (who by the way has had breast cancer) have to say, walk my Camino, pray, think, then decide. Luckily, this is considered a slow-growing cancer, so unless they insist otherwise, I still plan to walk and come home in April with a decision.

Thanks Sophie.
I absolutely would consider lumpectomy or mastectomy.
At my age don't really care about reconstruction.
So yes, I'll hear what the oncologist and surgeon (who by the way has had breast cancer) have to say, walk my Camino, pray, think, then decide. Luckily, this is considered a slow-growing cancer, so unless they insist otherwise, I still plan to walk and come home in April with a decision.
...and I still plan to keep you in my prayers night and day <3 Walk the good walk and know He is with you :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So I had a bit of a frustrating day.
I went to my doctor's appointment yesterday morning and came back not knowing any more than I already know.

He did not have a lab report.
Someone from the lab had called and given a preliminary report, telling him there was a "high probability" it was cancer. I have no idea how they knew this because I'm not a lab person, but that says to me there is another probability it might NOT be cancer and that's what I'm hoping for.

He promised to call me when he had a firm diagnosis.

I told him I did NOT plan to do chemo or radiation or surgery, no matter the diagnosis.
He made me promise to at least speak with the Oncologist and Breast Surgeon if it WAS malignant to hear my options. I agreed to at least listen.

I asked him about my upcoming Camino.
By then I will have heard all my options and 5-6 weeks of walking will give me time to think.
He agreed that would be fine.

So I have kept my reservations on the VDLP.
The only thing that might change is hopping up to the CF if I don't feel I can carry my pack.

Thanks again for all your prayers and good wishes.
I will report back when I know something.
I sort of feel like a pest posting all of this, but I'm not a person to keep things inside, and saying all this out loud (well, typing it out loud) 🥴 really does help me to relieve stress. So far I'm still calm. Just feeling a little frustration at the waiting.

Annie
Annie, you are NOT a pest. You will be top of mind in all my prayer intentions in the weeks ahead and especially on my own Camino Frances, starting 18 April at SJPP. I have a list of people and prayer intentions - and you are one of them - for which I will pray along the way while walking, at wayside shrines, in Mass and morning and evening prayers. I firmly believe prayer really works - not "positive vibes" - but prayer.

OK.
So now at least you know what you're facing.

I'm so sorry you're a member of this club, too, Annie.
Please don't hesitate to vent, lean on your friends here, or ask as many question you nay have.

Chemo is NOT an option.

So my choices are:
1. Lumpectomy
2. Mastectomy
I have a big opinion on what I'd do in your shoes, but I won't burden you with it. But I can say what I did. Mastectomy without reconstruction, which I have never ever regreted. My tumor type was different from yours, but mostly that affects what happens after surgical intervention.

A whole lot depends on the grade and stage of the cancer - and that you'll only know after surgery if you choose to do it. That information will narrow the necessary options down, so the decision process is much less overwhelming.

So yes, walk.
Then go from there.

We are everywhere! It is an experience of my past. You will put it behind, too.
Yes!
We are......
♥ ♥ ♥
Prayers, Annie...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I admire you so much @Anniesantiago for the way that you are approaching this challenge. It is a special blessing that your Camino is perfectly timed so that you can carefully weigh your options, and return home having made your well thought out final decision that will be right for you.

Thank you for this information! I'm So sorry, but respect your strong and open mind. I support your right to make your own decisions: your life and body, your choices. However, it is wise to make the big decisions after you have had some time and more information to think it over. What ever you choose, I pray love and joy to your life, wish you Buen Camino for every step you take 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My mom was diagnosed with exactly that type almost 2 years ago, AnnieSantiago. She has heart issues & wouldn't have been able to have surgery even had she wanted it. But hers was estrogen receptor positive, like yours. She's post-menopausal & so she takes a drug called anastrozole (basically brings her estrogen to zero) & it made the cancer go away within a couple of months. She goes back every now & then to re-image, she still takes the drug but the only thing that's left is the clip they put in her. No surgery, no chemo, no radiation.

So the fact that you have the estrogen receptor+ type is actually good news, if you can believe it, because developments in endocrine therapy have *significantly* decreased mortality for breast cancer. I don't know you, but when I read what you just wrote I was so relieved! I had so hoped for this diagnosis for you if it wasn't benign because of my mom's amazing recovery.

See this paper:

I can only imagine the thousands of people you have helped over the years @Annie and all that positive energy will be coming back to you as you go forward..... I for one will always remember your help encouragement when I was going thru hard times .... the camino has been an amazing part of my life and all from your help making the leap ...... prayers and well wishes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. Lumpectomy
2. Mastectomy

Annie

As you are really worried about the possible pain involved and asked for feed-back from anyone who’d been through it or knew anyone.

My friend (who had the lumpectomy and the radiation / just finishing 2 weeks ago. )

asked me to pass on her experience. I initially posted it here but as it’s ‘2nd hand’ info - Ive deleted it here and I’ll send it in a pm.

— my thoughts are with you Annie, scrambling to make sense (for you) ; of all this input/info.

Good luck with your Camino. I might even see you in Santiago ?

Also , I’ve learned a lot myself in the past few months.

Love OzAnnie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been keeping you in my prayers and came across this and thought specifically of you. "Don't worry, God has gone before you and prepared the way. Keep walking." From Daily devotionals FB site.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie, know of my prayers for you!! I will be walking the Camino in May and ending at what is believed to be a relic of the true cross at the Monastero di Santo Toribio. I will now also carry prayers for you and your healing to that sacred place. Love from Texas!

Annie, know of my prayers for you!! I will be walking the Camino in May and ending at what is believed to be a relic of the true cross at the Monastero di Santo Toribio. I will now also carry prayers for you and your healing to that sacred place. Love from Texas!
we plan to do the Camino Lebaniego in June too

€46,-
Thanks again everyone.
Tomorrow is the appointment with the FIRST Oncologist.
I've also got an appointment with a wonderful Breast Surgeon Oncologist on Feb 10 to get a second opinion.
Here is a video about her. I love that she's from St. Thomas (I lived there, St. Croix, and Water Isle, and Puerto Rico in the 70's):

@Anniesantiago this may be of interest to you. An article I read recently about increasing the efficiency of drugs including chemotherapy by taking them in accordance with the circadian rhythm. Called chronobiology.

My wife started down this path two years ago, so we’ve learned quite a bit about breast cancer treatments. Treatment plans are driven by the pathology of the tumor. If my wife’s tumor had been highly estrogen receptive, she wouldn’t have needed chemo. Unfortunately, it was not, so she went through chemo. Hopefully, given that your tumor is an estrogen receptor, your oncologist won’t recommend chemo. My wife had a lumpectomy. The fact is, after the surgery the cancer was gone from her body. That gave a lot of comfort. All the remaining treatments are to give her the best chance of it never coming back or spreading. All I can encourage you to do is hear them out and ask a ton of questions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Anniesantiago i have been praying for you, hoping for better news and struck dumb about what to say.
With my own friends who are walking the c journey, I can cook meals, do shopping, sit and listen, hug and cry.
Thank you for allowing us to walk with you and listen and pray - and today I realised I had to write something so you would feel that little bit more supported.
As I started writing, I remembered a book that a friend found to be really helpful - John Piper’s Don’t Waste Your Cancer. Maybe you’ll stumble across a copy in a secondhand bookstore!
If it were possible, I’d walk the VdlP at the same time as you and carry your gear for you.....maybe there will be someone who can.....or maybe the Francés will be right for you this time.
Wishing you all the best - may the blessing you have been to others be returned to you a-hundred-fold.

So Joe and I have tickets to Madrid for March 3. From there we hope to bus to Zafra and walk to Astorga.

However . . . Christmas night I quite accidentaly discovered a large lump in my left breast.
At the risk of TMI, I was lying on my side and ran my hand up my body and there the sucker was!
I do regular shower checks but I guess it was hiding under the breast tissue.
Feels like it's right on my rib.

It feels about the size of a 22 shell - maybe 1 inch long and .5 inch in width.
It's quite large, I think, and I have no idea how long it's been there.
I have noticed the past year my left arm constantly going numb.
I had mentioned that to another doctor but nobody suggested a mammogram then.

I'm waffling between being strangely calm and having freak-out moments of fear.
I've had a mammogram and ultrasound on Friday in Palm Desert. They wanted to do a biopsy right away. However, I then discovered my Oregon Health Plan would not cover me in California. So I've had my records and films transferred to OHSU in Portland, Oregon and I flew up here on Sunday. I'm staying at Joe's condo and waiting, waiting, waiting to hear back from OHSU so I can have a biopsy and HOPEFULLY find out this is something benign.

Seems like it's been one thing after another this past couple of years.
This one has thrown me for a loop.

So... I'm humbly asking three things from my pilgrim friends...

1. Prayers or positive energy please that this is a benign growth.

2. Prayers that the doctors here in Portland will "get on it" and speed up the biopsy and diagnosis process.

3. If any of you have gone through this, I'd appreciate hearing your stories and advice or help or ??? I'm doing my best to stay calm, but this danged thing is throbbing now and each day feels like an eternity of not knowing.

I'm hoping we can get this resolved and I can still walk in March.
Thanks Pilgrims, for any encouragement you can give.

Annie

PS: Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this so move it if necessary.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and take care.

So Joe and I have tickets to Madrid for March 3. From there we hope to bus to Zafra and walk to Astorga.

However . . . Christmas night I quite accidentaly discovered a large lump in my left breast.
At the risk of TMI, I was lying on my side and ran my hand up my body and there the sucker was!

I've had a mammogram and ultrasound on Friday in Palm Desert. They wanted to do a biopsy right away. However, I then discovered my Oregon Health Plan would not cover me in California. So I've had my records and films transferred to OHSU in Portland, Oregon and I flew up here on Sunday. I'm staying at Joe's condo and waiting, waiting, waiting to hear back from OHSU so I can have a biopsy and HOPEFULLY find out this is something benign.

2. Prayers that the doctors here in Portland will "get on it" and speed up the biopsy and diagnosis process.

3. If any of you have gone through this, I'd appreciate hearing your stories and advice or help or ??? I'm doing my best to stay calm, but this danged thing is throbbing now and each day feels like an eternity of not knowing.

Annie

Annie:
I am a 2 time breadt cancer survivor. May I suggest that you try not to worry till they give you something to worry about. You are right to want to get the biopsy asap. It can be unpleasant if it's a core biopsy. Prayers are on their way to you now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie:
I am a 2 time breadt cancer survivor. May I suggest that you try not to worry till they give you something to worry about. You are right to want to get the biopsy asap. It can be unpleasant if it's a core biopsy. Prayers are on their way to you now.

Hi. I already had the biopsy. I have papillary invasive carcinoma. Having the lumpectomy on the 12th. I’m not worried. 😊

Annie

Hi Annie, haven't been through it myself but will send you "love, hope and prayers" with this message.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.