• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family want to track my route

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use MotionX GPS on my iPhone. It creates my track all day and has two share options:

1) A 'live' share option that my family (who has to use the same app back home) could see where I am at any time interval I choose. You can also use it with someone you are walking the Camino with if you plan to seperate but want to know where the other is (perhaps in an emergency situation too?).

2) You can share the track at the end of the day to any email address(es) you choose. It sends attached files that can be opened either in MotionX's website or in Google Earth which will then give them either a normal map or even a 3D animated flyover. I know that may sound complex but truly is not!

One caution for the first share option of 'live' tracking, it must use cellular data to constantly send your position during the day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked alone the Camino in 2016. One year after a M.S. diagnosis and chemo treatments for facial skin cancer. My husband , 5 children, 6 grandchildren and friends were worried sick. I purchased a Camino map before I left and hung it in our dining room. I only took my cell phone. I posted to Facebook everyday. Showing family and friends my progress as well as that I was well. My husband tracked my progress on the map daily . Each week a different color arrow...each day an arrow showing my progress. 20200202_094457.jpg20200202_094331.jpg20200202_094449.jpg20200202_094359.jpgNot only that it allowed them to converse. A big bonus was that I made the entire time made into a hard bound book when I arrived home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A few suggestions.
Firstly, the easiest way for your family to track your location is to turn on location sharing on Google Maps. They will be able to see where you are at all times

If you would like to share pictures and a little about your day you can use a travel blogging app like FindPenguins or Polar Steps, which will allow you to upload photos and create a map of your journey.

Hi

Is there an app that I can have in my phone that would allow family members to follow my progress. The only tech I plan to take is my phone.

I can "share my location" with my iPhone. Go to text, then tap on the name of the person, then tap on info, then turn on share location. Then that person can see where you are whenever they look on the info on you from their phone.

Mind you, my husband entertained some dinner guests a few weeks ago, by telling them how exciting it was when I finally got on a train back to Paris, as my location had been moving so incredibly slowly while I walked.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

Is there an app that I can have in my phone that would allow family members to follow my progress. The only tech I plan to take is my phone.

I recommend ‘AlertCops’ the official Spanish Government app for foreigners contacting the Spanish police. It connects to a multi lingual operations room.

It also does real time location tracking which can be viewed by nominated contacts.

"Share my location" on an iPhone...
There's an android app called something like "Family365" though I'm' not a user so I can't confirm that name (give it a google).
And there's "Relive" (which I used on my recent Portugues, and quite liked). Relive can generate a little video of your day and you can put photos into it.
I use "share my location" with 2 family members and they know that if the icon showing my location does not move for 3 days, that's where they will find my body. :p .... otherwise, it keeps them out of my hair.

I would be careful with this and check with your phone company and service provider to be able to track your route. I recently purchased a Simcard from Orange for my iPhone while I was in France. Almost immediately I saw that my phone credit balance was falling without even making my first call or sending my first text. I shut down all of my apps, especially ones that involved knowing my location. The problem persisted but not as much as the 30 Euros I lost in the first 4 days. I have no idea what triggered this, but I ended up spending nearly 60 Euros during a 10 day visit and never made any calls to the US. I only made a few local calls and sent a few photos to the US via email and FB.

Do you want them to be able to track you at all times or is it them pushing for it? I'm very firm about such things, they can wait for me to call or send them an email or photo. I come from a long time ago in the electronic dark ages when my Mum had no idea where in the world I was for weeks at a time until she got a postcard.

I would be careful with this and check with your phone company and service provider to be able to track your route. I recently purchased a Simcard from Orange for my iPhone while I was in France. Almost immediately I saw that my phone credit balance was falling without even making my first call or sending my first text. I shut down all of my apps, especially ones that involved knowing my location. The problem persisted but not as much as the 30 Euros I lost in the first 4 days. I have no idea what triggered this, but I ended up spending nearly 60 Euros during a 10 day visit and never made any calls to the US. I only made a few local calls and sent a few photos to the US via email and FB.
That one is often data happening behind the scenes. Your phone keeps updating things on an ongoing basis for example, and that uses data. You should be able to go through your phone's settings and set it such that it only updates on WiFi, that you turn off your location, and that you switch off roaming data.

That one is often data happening behind the scenes. Your phone keeps updating things on an ongoing basis for example, and that uses data. You should be able to go through your phone's settings and set it such that it only updates on WiFi, that you turn off your location, and that you switch off roaming data.
Did that too! I think I tried every trick in the book.
I was getting ready for trip to the Australia next month and was about to consult with the Apple Store, but I cancelled my trip due to the Flu Pandemic.
I am headed back to France and Spain in May and June and will definitely find an answer to my problem before then.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use an app called Track My Tour. It's free and allows you to post pictures as well as showing your route. You can save waypoints, comments and pictures offline then when you have WiFi the info will upload to the site. You can make it public or private and share with only those you want.
Buen Camino

You could use View Ranger's "Buddy Beacon" feature SEE HERE you set a 4 digit PIN and they can follow you. Roaming charges may apply so perhaps just switch data on in the evening with available WiFi? After all I doubt they'll need to watch an ant wending its way across Spain, they just need to know you hit such and such a place on such and such a date.

I use the app Locatoweb and have used in on both the Camino Frances and the Ingles.
it updates the website when it can, but does not need a constant phone signal.
if you create a new track each day you will end up with a nice record of where you traveled on your Camino journey.
The app can send an email with the track reference each time you create a new track so that others can follow your progress.
if you keep your track as ‘public’ then anyone can follow your progress.

Hi

Good morning.

I walked the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre / Muxia in September and my friends and family were very interested in sharing my journey with me from afar. I used WhatsApp to communicate with family back home in Canada as well as communicate with other friends in Spain who were walking different sections of the Camino at the same time. Each evening, I posted a few photos with a brief written summary on both Facebook and Instagram (I had friends who used one or the other but not both). It only took a few minutes each day and everyone loved the posts. When I arrived in Spain, I left my phone on Airplane Mode and only used communication when I had Wifi. My limited communications worked fabulous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use the walkmeter app. It's few bucks for the pro version but works fine. When you start the walk it tracks where you are going as well as other variables like steps, elevation, etc. It will then automatically email the day's travels to you and whomever you have added to the list. It sends out an initial email which can be used to track current progress. The thing that I like and really use it for is the kml file that is generated showing the track which could be imported into whatever else you want to use it for.

It seems that all these options will use phone data?

I understand using WhatsApp will use mobile data, but I thought the GPS works differently on your phone - meaning it doesn't need data? You can still access your maps etc whenever you have data or not?

Hi

Go old school like I did when my son made his camino in 2012. I bought a Brierley guide and followed his route each day, then he would text me to let me know he was safely indoors. That was before I made my own first one and thought it would be dangerous crossing mountain ranges. Worked fine for me

€60,-
Hi

I use a SPOT device. It lets up to 10 people track me and is updated every 10 minutes. One of the other benefits is it gives you immediate access to emergency assistance through it's satellite link.

Hi

Hi Boring (I'm sure you're anything but...!):

I was quite surprised, on glancing through all the lovely responses to your Phone Tracker App query, to see there's none recommending 'Life360', the app I used last year when my husband (aged 79!) walked the full 800kms of Camino de Santiago, enabling me to 'walk' beside him every step of the way (starting at St Jean Pierre de Port on 24 April 2019, and arriving at Santiago 36 days later), from my desk at home in Adelaide.

It was a most exhilarating experience for me (mind-blowingly wonderful for him!), being able to closely track his pilgrimage in real time 24/7, and, on two separate occasions, observing him set off in the wrong direction just after dawn from the albergue where he'd spent the night, and was able to alert him (via a quick call on my mobile phone) and save him some time and energy by turning him back before he'd gone too far off course! I loved it, and so did he, knowing I was keeping my eye on him at all times!

So yes, my Life 360 tracker became my best friend and so, speaking from experience, I heartily recommend it to you, Anything-But-Boring!!

Find it now on google and download the app. And it's free!!

Buen Camino!! xx

I understand using WhatsApp will use mobile data, but I thought the GPS works differently on your phone - meaning it doesn't need data? You can still access your maps etc whenever you have data or not?
Yes. Using GPS on your phone to FIND your location does not use wifi or cell data. Your phone is picking up radio signals transmitted by satellites. However, if your phone is DISPLAYING where you are it needs to get the base map data from somewhere and it may suck it up from expensive cell data depending on your phone's current settings and wifi being unavailable.

There are apps that allow you to download all the base map data you need all at once and store it on the phone so you don't need to do it piecemeal over air while traveling. It is expected that you will likely do these downloads with free wifi. Some apps may have large base maps such as all of Spain. Others may have smaller base maps, e.g., only Navarra. In the latter case you may want to download all the smaller sections at once or to do one at a time as you go, deleting the newly unneeded map to save storage space.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It seems that all these options will use phone data?
The FindPenguins app can be used without internet access. I believe that Polar Steps works the same way.

Automatic Tracking
Your phone automatically tracks your travel route in the background, no internet necessary.

The FindPenguins app can be used without internet access. I believe that Polar Steps works the same way.
Yes and no. Yes in that the app uses GPS to find your location periodically and log it to a file. No in that to show where these locations are on a map it needs to have a base map and if it is not on the phone already it is going to be loaded through wifi or cell data.

If you want others to know your location periodically you are either going to have to transmit it to them yourself or have an app that does that for you automatically. Automatic transmission will not work if wifi and cell are shut off or out of range. Having cell data on constantly seems to have caused some people to have their data eaten up more than it should. I do the transmission myself.

I am ‘watching’ this thread and will definitely refer to it when I’m preparing for my next camino, but I really wish I understood more of what you very kind people are saying. ☹️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've used Sports Tracker for Caminos, Shikoku, Kumano Kodo as well as just local hiking.
Enable family as followers so they can see your route, location and progress.
I've added 2 screenshots to give an idea of the app showing Poblacion to Carrion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200203-164813_Sports Tracker.jpg
    Screenshot_20200203-164813_Sports Tracker.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200203-164833_Sports Tracker.jpg
    Screenshot_20200203-164833_Sports Tracker.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A few suggestions.
Firstly, the easiest way for your family to track your location is to turn on location sharing on Google Maps. They will be able to see where you are at all times

If you would like to share pictures and a little about your day you can use a travel blogging app like FindPenguins or Polar Steps, which will allow you to upload photos and create a map of your journey.

Thanks so much for providing this Google map info. I just put this on my phone and my husband put it on his. It will be fantastic for the camino!

I have successfully used locatoweb on two caminos and those at home could follow me live or later.

Here is something on the simple side though people cannot follow you; you must send your location to them.

There are apps that do not record a track for you but if GPS is enabled they will tell you your location with latitude and longitude coordinates. Most will have the added feature of being able to share those coordinates through text or email. I use email so I'll continue the description with that. The app will create a simple email message that you can add to and attach photos. You modify its default subject line, add a list of recipients and send it. The simple message might even have a link to some mapping site like Google Maps so a click will show the position on a map. The app may also allow you to add the location to the clipboard for you to use in other ways you may want. I currently have an app for Android called My GPS Coordinates that is free with ads. I hardy use it though so I can't give you a review. There are plenty of other apps like it though.

You may not understand the language in this video but I think you should still be able to follow the demonstration. There is a short demo of saving a location to a list that is beyond what I described above.

YouTube video id: R4LTiNl8VDo

Last edited:
Sometimes I used what 3 words, the app, and I fired it up, hit share "location" and sent a message.

When I found no one was interested, I stopped.....

Sometimes I used what 3 words, the app, and I fired it up, hit share "location" and sent a message.

When I found no one was interested, I stopped.....
That is very simple to use. I just tried it out.

What I don't like is you pretty much have to teach recipients what the three words location interface is and the w3w maps aren't very captivating.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think there are two objectives here that will depend on what you will use:

1. Do you want to track your walk for personal records (data does not need to be 'live')
2. Do you want family etc. to know where you are - for safety reasons ('live while walking)

My mom and I will be doing different routes in September. She will be carrying a SPOT tracker so my father can follow her 'live' from South Africa. If something might happen, he will be able to see where the 'dot' stopped.

I on the other hand, will just use my Garmin watch, the data will only be displayed via app like Strava when I am connected to wifi at the Albergue in the evening or coffee shop on the way. Not really for personal record, but an alternative for my husband to know where I am.

Hi

Take a look at the ‘Relive’ App. It will track your route all the time you are walking and then at the end of each day you can down load it onto Facebook. A yellow path of your whole days journey will then play as a video using a Google Map view. It’s imoressive.

Hi Boring
@trecile has suggested (? recommended) FindPenguins app.
Last year I walked about 3 months on my Camino and my family was able to follow me nearly every night (depending on wifi access) with gps plots, blog and pictures. The gps plots don’t need wifi I don’t think, but the words and pics do.
I have no financial interest in this product but it worked well for me and when I finished I got a book out of it. take a look at the app.
All the best
John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
biarritzdon,
Your issue was discussed on this forum a few months ago. The advice was to change the settings on your phone. I did this myself on my iPhone 7, but i've forgotten what I did. This has saved me money both at home and abroad. What used to happen was this: i thought I was using wi-fi, but sometimes it was slow to activate and my phone started using the data on my phone plan instead. There is a solution; someone knowledgable will tell you what it is!

Hi

There are APPS out there, like a living travel journal. Here is an example of one good one:

I use MotionX GPS on my iPhone. It creates my track all day and has two share options:

1) A 'live' share option that my family (who has to use the same app back home) could see where I am at any time interval I choose. You can also use it with someone you are walking the Camino with if you plan to seperate but want to know where the other is (perhaps in an emergency situation too?).

2) You can share the track at the end of the day to any email address(es) you choose. It sends attached files that can be opened either in MotionX's website or in Google Earth which will then give them either a normal map or even a 3D animated flyover. I know that may sound complex but truly is not!

One caution for the first share option of 'live' tracking, it must use cellular data to constantly send your position during the day.
I used to use MotionX, great maps and tracking, plus the live sharing. I’ve switched to Gaia GPS because it allows you to tag photos all along the route. MotionX only allowed to add one photo for the whole track.
When hiking with my daughter (she has her own posse) MotionX’s live tracking let us both drop “breadcrumbs“ on the map so I could see where she was for safety, and she could see where I was for money resupply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not so savvy. Low tech for my mom wrote her a postcard every day. Whatsapped every morning my family with a good morning and a location picture. So they could track me but I like to have a live line but not a lead.

Automatic Tracking
Your phone automatically tracks your travel route in the background, no internet necessary.

Although presumably if you wanted to use any of these apps to share your location, some data or wifi would be necessary to move the information to where someone else can access it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did that too! I think I tried every trick in the book.
I was getting ready for trip to the Australia next month and was about to consult with the Apple Store, but I cancelled my trip due to the Flu Pandemic.
I am headed back to France and Spain in May and June and will definitely find an answer to my problem before then.
Please share!!! Hope you’re able to figure it out to your liking!

Hi Boring (I'm sure you're anything but...!):

I was quite surprised, on glancing through all the lovely responses to your Phone Tracker App query, to see there's none recommending 'Life360', the app I used last year when my husband (aged 79!) walked the full 800kms of Camino de Santiago, enabling me to 'walk' beside him every step of the way (starting at St Jean Pierre de Port on 24 April 2019, and arriving at Santiago 36 days later), from my desk at home in Adelaide.

It was a most exhilarating experience for me (mind-blowingly wonderful for him!), being able to closely track his pilgrimage in real time 24/7, and, on two separate occasions, observing him set off in the wrong direction just after dawn from the albergue where he'd spent the night, and was able to alert him (via a quick call on my mobile phone) and save him some time and energy by turning him back before he'd gone too far off course! I loved it, and so did he, knowing I was keeping my eye on him at all times!

So yes, my Life 360 tracker became my best friend and so, speaking from experience, I heartily recommend it to you, Anything-But-Boring!!

Find it now on google and download the app. And it's free!!

Buen Camino!! xx
thank you. This is the one I am presently trialling. Xx
Do you want them to be able to track you at all times or is it them pushing for it? I'm very firm about such things, they can wait for me to call or send them an email or photo. I come from a long time ago in the electronic dark ages when my Mum had no idea where in the world I was for weeks at a time until she got a postcard.
Hi. My youngest child will be nine when I leave for the camino. I have not left him for more thank two night before.

I want him to be able to follow my adventure, and it has to be simple as my elderly mum will need to be able to fix any issues. My husband will have the tracker in his phone too but I dont think he will be following it too closely. He'll be too busy! Lol

I've used the Find Penguins app and love it. Very simple and can be accessed by anyone to whom you give permission. It looks as if those reading it need to download the app, but they don't - read the instructions and you will see how to give them access via any web browser.

€60,-
Hi

Life360 is a free app that we use in our family to know where we are. Started as a peace-of-mind kind of app when our we got teens driving. But I heard my hubby used it track me when I was walking the Frances by myself last year. Peace of mind, I get it and I totally understand. I got a sim card when I was in Paris but still kept the info there. You do have to share the location (within the app with the persons that are in your circle (hubby and kids) and voila! You don't have to worry about anything anymore. Buen camino!

I used Life 360 also ..very simple. you create the group who want to follow you. it has feature to send memo and photos, to check in to show & record your location they see your avatar moving across a map, you can use the map too to find your way (not sure I'd use it to guide you on trail not sure of detail it is capable of). You can also see their location, they can write you,send you photos, check in etc .... everyone in the group can. it's a free app, requires data. you lose historical entries after a certain period of time unless you pay to upgrade, so if you want to keep the memos as a record or blog etc, you need to plan for that and copy. it was very easy to use.

Another vote for Find The Penguins
be it that enough people were expressing the interest to know where I will be and some even went as far as to inquire if there will be live podcasts, pictures, blogs, etc (OY! I am REALLY trying to do a Spiritual Pilgrimage...but... what can one do when one acquires a "Fan Base" 😳;)), so...
I decided to download the app and use it as a 'test' of a sort on my last vacation (Palms Springs CA couple of weeks ago)
It took me a very short time to figure out how to use it and it seems that it will definitely suit my 'needs' on the Camino
The 'blogs' if you will are called footprints. You create one and it will 'mark the spot' on the map. The free version allows you to upload up to 6 photos in each footprint. For our premium members the limit is 10 photos and 2 videos per footprint.
However, as the number of footprints is unlimited to all our users, the number of photos you can upload in total is also unlimited, even as a none premium member.
Premium membership is only $20.00 year - so if the ability to have 4 extra pics for each 'stop' appeals to you p then its a small price to pay (IMHO)
I guess the only 'eh' is that the people have to become members (remember - free) and then to follow you
some may mot want to do so - but then its up to them....

€60,-
I guess the only 'eh' is that the people have to become members (remember - free) and then to follow you
some may mot want to do so - but then its up to them....
Actually, they don't need to become members. You can send them the URL for your journey, they can bookmark it and follow you along that way. I have had friends and family members follow along that way. They won't receive notifications when you create a new post though. And, if they make any comments it is helpful if they are a member because then you will know who the comment is from!

HMMMM... I did send them an email with the URL for the trip. apparently when clicked on it - they were 'required' to join 😕

HMMMM... I did send them an email with the URL for the trip. apparently when clicked on it - they were 'required' to join 😕
I just checked by going to the URL that I have sent my friends and family, making sure that I wasn't already signed in to FindPenguins. I can see all of my posts without signing up/in. Perhaps it has something to do with your privacy settings on FindPenguins?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AH
OK
well... the evil paranoiac twin of mine did set it that it is visible only to those who follow me
(and I believe it is trip-specific since the settings for Privacy are on the trip proper)
Thanks - good to know... although I obviously do wish that there would be more options
Like it or not - if I make the trip Public then technically anyone can see it (i.e. FindthePenguins members?)

AH
OK
well... the evil paranoiac twin of mine did set it that it is visible only to those who follow me
(and I believe it is trip-specific since the settings for Privacy are on the trip proper)
Thanks - good to know... although I obviously do wish that there would be more options
Like it or not - if I make the trip Public then technically anyone can see it (i.e. FindthePenguins members?)
Mine is set to public. Anyone who wants to be bored by my Camino pictures and musings is free to view it.

Cant argue that (like I said - evil twin...he always get the blame)
thanks again for making me take notice, Therese + Cecile (nod to Explain your Avatar thread ;) )

Hi

There is an app called polar steps which is what I used.My sister wanted to keep an eye on where I was as she was worried I was walking alone. It uses sattelite to track where you are. You can also add photos to it and comments and people can comment back on it. At the end they will make it into a beautiful hard cover book. It is a wonderful keepsake.

Attachments

• 15811929511724231283817069032732.jpg
    15811929511724231283817069032732.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
I used Polarsteps so my 87 year old mother could follow me. It's actually a blogging program, so I could share photos too.

I have used a SPOT device that I purchased online. My family in Los Angeles has been able to track my movements in Argentina, Spain, Russia, Africa and throughout Central America. Great device and worth its weigh in gold in the event of an emergency.

I've just been trialling Life360. It seems to require wi-fi or the data on my phone plan in order to work. I absolutely don't want to use the latter as it would prove too costly on the Camino.

Hi

View ranger . I will be using this for my family when I walk from Lourdes to Santiago de Compostella. Up to 4 people can follow you

ViewRanger, I will be using this for my family to follow me when I walk from Lourdes to Santiago de Composetella . Up to 4 people can follow you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most people already use Google Maps. Just turn on location sharing. Nothing to buy, no new apps to download.

Hi

You could try using the Wikilok app. My wife wanted to see where I had been when I walked the VdlP last year. Basically it tracks your walk for the day, save it and it is e mailed back to you. Then forward the e mail to said family member / friend etc. The only tricky part is remembering to turn on record each day and ensuring there is enough battery life in the phone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What3words is a free app that has mapped out the entire world (I don't know how!) to precise locations in 3 metre increments. Each spot has a unique 3 word name. If your family at home also installs the app, it is really easy to click "share" and they will know precisely where you are.

It's also really useful for meeting up with people when you're walking. Share your location with them, and the person getting the link can press "navigate to" and get to you easily.

Find the app on Google Play: what3words

If your family at home also installs the [what3words] app, it is really easy to click "share" and they will know precisely where you are.
They do not need to install the app. The message has a link to their website showing the location.

The disadvantage of what3words and wikiloc and some I had mentioned before is that you actively have to send your location. If you fall off a cliff you will not have time to send where you are. Other apps that constantly run will indicate where you were before you stopped moving (or keep indicating where your body is if the phone is still running).

True, not much use in those circumstances, though emergency services use it in the UK as it is so precise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Safe365 is an application that I used on my last camino. It is free and it has many extra features, too. My husband followed my path at home with this Safe365, took also some landscape shots for me now to recognize the place.

Hi

I have a Garmin watch and the Connect app works great for tracking with friends and family. I have been using it for cycling as well as my training walks. My CP starts in mid May this year. My plan is to use my Garmin/Connect and post the daily updates with pics on a FB Group. Tested all of this this past week and it works great. Also does NOT drain my phone battery which is an added plus.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.