• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson alternative??

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I know that along the Camino past SJPdP there is a gite in Honto, and that Orisson also has Gite Kayola, but last year I met several people at Orisson in the afternoon who were staying at a gite somewhere nearby. They were picked up at Orisson and then dropped off there the next morning. These pilgrims told me that either someone at the Pilgrims Office or at their albergue the day before (I don't remember which) knew of this place and made the reservation for them. Perhaps @Monasp knows about this place?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, I know that it wasn't the gite in Huntto. It was somewhere off the Camino. The people who stayed there had to be picked up at Orisson.

Maybe in Saint-Michel? I met a small French group a few years ago on the Le Puy who were by-passing SJPDP completely on an old route that goes through Saint-Michel. There used to be just a Logi hotel there, but map.me shows a second place now.

Might it be the Gite Kayola ?
See more here

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Might it be the Gite Kayola ?
See more here
No. It wasn't on the Camino.

No, I know that it wasn't the gite in Huntto. It was somewhere off the Camino. The people who stayed there had to be picked up at Orisson.

Yes, Ferme Ithurbia is in Hunto, and it is not the one where people get picked up from Orisson; it is much closer to SJPDP. I've stayed there twice. It's a chambre d'hotes with private rooms, as well as a gite. Fabulous meals. See the link provided by @mspath above.

Last summer we stayed at the Gite Antton. The folks there were great, and the accommodations were very comfortable. I do not remember the food they prepared for us, but I do know we had a great time around the table.

They picked us up at Orisson and dropped us off again the next morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know that along the Camino past SJPdP there is a gite in Honto, and that Orisson also has Gite Kayola, but last year I met several people at Orisson in the afternoon who were staying at a gite somewhere nearby. They were picked up at Orisson and then dropped off there the next morning. These pilgrims told me that either someone at the Pilgrims Office or at their albergue the day before (I don't remember which) knew of this place and made the reservation for them. Perhaps @Monasp knows about this place?
It's Gite Antton

Last summer we stayed at the Gite Antton. The folks there were great, and the accommodations were very comfortable. I do not remember the food they prepared for us, but I do know we had a great time around the table.

They picked us up at Orisson and dropped us off again the next morning.
It's Gite Antton
Thank you!! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Orisson is the general first choice. When they are full, they become the pick-up point for outlying options.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We met pilgrims without reservations who had to taxi back to St Jean and return in the morning. My guide book lists Ferme Ithuburia in Honto and Kayola 800m before Orisson.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gite Antton. Down the hill a ways from Orisson. They picked me up at Orisson, I had a wonderful first night on the Camino at this immaculate and friendly albergue, and then they returned me to Orisson early the next morning, in time to set off with friends who'd been able to snag a bed at Orisson.

Saint-Michel was mentioned earlier as having some lodging. I notice that there are two roads heading west that connect to the camino before it arrives at Huntto. I leave it to others to decide if this is helpful or not.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back