• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Bayonne SJPdP

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
I have purchased my train ticket from raileurope for Bayonne to SJPdP. The email says I can print the ticket. I have read other people in the past posting about a) trouble with the right train (I don't speak french) and b) not having the correct ticket, needing to do something at a station, etc (though it may have been different trains or something). I just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on either of these aspects before I head over in a week.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know about printing a ticket. I just walked up to the window and said Saint Jean, in english, and gave them some cash. I then waited for a train to come in. The Saint Jean train will be on the track furthest from the waiting area and it will be comming from the left. To get to the train use the under track passageway and get on it. If the train door isn't open, push the button and it will open. Most of the riders are pilgrims. Saint Jean is the last stop on the line. Get out of the train and follow the crowd to the pilgrim office.

Half or more of the passengers to SJPP are pilgrims. Employees at Bayonne ticket office are used to their oddities.
Trains are clearly announced on a digital panel, with the number of track. It is a little station, anyway. And SJPP is the end of the line.
If you buy your ticket at the station, you have to validate it or "composter" in a little yellow machine. But most probably, you are exempt if you have bought it online and printed it.
Everything is quite simple and obvious.
Buen camino!

1583633667516.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Bayonne, the ticket machine at the station didn't accept my Australian credit card and a queue was building up behind me whilst I pondered what to do. (There was no staff to help and a replacement bus was waiting). Finally a local man came to my assistance and said he would buy my ticket if I gave him E.11, which I did. Not sure if this still applies.

I don't know about printing a ticket. I just walked up to the window and said Saint Jean, in english, and gave them some cash. I then waited for a train to come in. The Saint Jean train will be on the track furthest from the waiting area and it will be comming from the left. To get to the train use the under track passageway and get on it. If the train door isn't open, push the button and it will open. Most of the riders are pilgrims. Saint Jean is the last stop on the line. Get out of the train and follow the crowd to the pilgrim office.
If I could manage it, anyone can manage it. It was the easiest train to figure out, just look for the crowd of pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I transferred from my train from Paris to the train to SJPdP in Bayonne I felt like I was getting on the Pilgrim Express. 😊
Tell me about you train experience from Paris to Bayonne, did you use first class or standard, how was the ride, etc..

My experience with trains throughout Europe and certainly in France (if not on strike) is that they’re all good, some excellent. Depending upon the fare difference first class is not necessary, it’s a relatively short trip. A “quiet” car may be worth it though. TGV trains generally require a seat reservation as well as a ticket.

Tell me about you train experience from Paris to Bayonne, did you use first class or standard, how was the ride, etc..
I was in first class, upper deck. The ride was very nice. I booked as early as I could directly with the French train company.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience with trains throughout Europe and certainly in France (if not on strike) is that they’re all good, some excellent. Depending upon the fare difference first class is not necessary, it’s a relatively short trip. A “quiet” car may be worth it though. TGV trains generally require a seat reservation as well as a ticket.

That is the joy of travelling on French TGV's. The availibity of quiet cars. No loud talking, no use of cellphones.
Fellow passengers will advise others gently to take phone in to the corridor between two carriages.

My ticket was soooo confusing for that train. I was led, by locals, to TWO different tracks, neither of which were the right one. I finally found the right train within seconds of the train leaving - I was still on the steps going in as the train started moving!
That was the first time. The second time was easier. Buen Camino! ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back