• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Cancellation Blues sympathy thread

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I have just cancelled the four lovely private rooms I had dotted along my planned route this May, fully expecting to have to cancel the whole camino. I have some beds booked too but I am keeping these bookings for now, on the off chance it will happen. Even if it doesn't, I intend let them charge the price of the bed from my credit card. Not because I am nice; this is for purely selfish reasons as I want these places to survive financially and be up and running when this virus hopefully has run its course and the world returns to some kind of normal.
Needless to say I am gutted, I have been so looking forward to revisiting Burgos, marvel at the beautiful cathedral, enjoying a tapas meal and some vino in the evening, possibly with some random pilgrims, having a bad night's sleep in a stuffy albergue and starting my walk the next day with no clear plan or time limit. I wanted some time to think in the vast emptiness of the meseta ... but it is what it is, there are tapas in Liverpool, there is a beautiful cathedral in Chester, there is wine in the fridge, and the way things are going with this virus and self-isolation I'll get plenty of time to think.
But still ... I have got a bad case of the Cancellation Blues.
So here's a virtual hug and a large dollop of heartfelt sympathy for all pilgrims who have had to cancel their camino this spring and summer. Santiago isn't going anywhere, and we might still meet on the trail some day.
Stay safe and buen postponed camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I especially feel sorry for those pilgrims from far away for whom a Camino is maybe a one-time life opportunity. Certainly when it involves an expensive airfareticket , lots of juggling with a busy diary , responsibilities for family and relatives and limited holidaytime.

For me it is only a very reasonable priced ticket for train or flight that I have to take into consideration.

But like you said Santiago will be there in a couple of months!

Let us hope that our wonderful and generous Spanish hosts will get through this ordeal as well as possible!

Yes, I am so lucky and privileged I can go back at any time when this is over - and I will, to spend my money in as many of the small bars and albergues as possible to help them get back on their feet. An extra large hug to all those who might not be able to reschedule quite so quickly, may a fortunate wind bring you to the camino at just the right time sometime in the future.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just cancelled the four lovely private rooms I had dotted along my planned route this May, fully expecting to have to cancel the whole camino. I have some beds booked too but I am keeping these bookings for now, on the off chance it will happen. Even if it doesn't, I intend let them charge the price of the bed from my credit card. Not because I am nice; this is for purely selfish reasons as I want these places to survive financially and be up and running when this virus hopefully has run its course and the world returns to some kind of normal.
Needless to say I am gutted, I have been so looking forward to revisiting Burgos, marvel at the beautiful cathedral, enjoying a tapas meal and some vino in the evening, possibly with some random pilgrims, having a bad night's sleep in a stuffy albergue and starting my walk the next day with no clear plan or time limit. I wanted some time to think in the vast emptiness of the meseta ... but it is what it is, there are tapas in Liverpool, there is a beautiful cathedral in Chester, there is wine in the fridge, and the way things are going with this virus and self-isolation I'll get plenty of time to think.
So here's a virtual hug and a large dollop of heartfelt sympathy for all pilgrims who have had to cancel their camino this spring and summer. Santiago isn't going anywhere, and we might still meet on the trail some day.

I couldn't agree more so am flagellating my mind with reading all my old credentials, gawping at my Compostelas on the bedroom wall and murmuring soothing sayings to my boots and am about to lay down some red wine and bottle some more! I shall do my head in tonight by playing flamenco vinyl , and pray very quietly for our pilgrim family. walk soft, stay safe.
the malingerer.

Through a long winter in Norway I am always looking forward to our Camino in spring. This year it should have been Ruta del Ebro in April. It's not going to be. But we can came back later, I hope. Sad for those who can't. I have understood for a while that there will be no Camino this spring, and have comforted me with watching videos from routes I still haven't walked, but hope to walk before the age stops me. Cancellation Blues - yes!

Last edited:
Don't view the cancellation of a trip as the end of your journey see it as part of the journey. All endeavours have set backs and worries even though you may have mitigated some worries by having an app, a guide book and booked accommodation for every stage in order to have a successful pilgrimage, life has a horrible habit of destroying the best laid plans, Now is the time to sit back and wait for the furore to blow over, when the right time comes to attempt a pilgrimage just leave home and head for Santiago with no plan, if there are no plans then life cannot destroy them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't view the cancellation of a trip as the end of your journey see it as part of the journey. All endeavours have set backs and worries even though you may have mitigated some worries by having an app, a guide book and booked accommodation for every stage in order to have a successful pilgrimage, life has a horrible habit of destroying the best laid plans, Now is the time to sit back and wait for the furore to blow over, when the right time comes to attempt a pilgrimage just leave home and head for Santiago with no plan, if there are no plans then life cannot destroy them.

Thank you for this. It helps to think of this as just part of the journey. It was symbolic for me to walk this year-I’m the same age this year as my father was when he died. But to think of the journey as underway really helps.

You'll never walk alone.

From a fellow Norwegian and cancelled pilgrim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We cancelled our trip. If our plans had gone through without interruption, we'd be spending our first night in Spain after arriving in Madrid. But we are home instead.

While we were sad about this decision, right now I'm so glad we had the foresight to cancel/postpone. Two weeks ago, when the number's growth rate told us what could happen, we could hardly believe it, so instead of immediately cancelling we took a wait and see approach. As the numbers continued to grow, it was clear that my husband's graph was fairly on point.

I am so glad that we were sensible and cancelled. We will see what the coming months bring, and whether or not September is in the cards.

Peace,
SSTW

This reply is stained with bitter self interest, so please indulge me for a moment. I know the Camino will always be there, but with my children at a sweet spot of ages I will not be able to return again in the future as a single family. We have spent the earnings from selling our investments to come. They took years to accumulate. I have expended my long service leave to come, that takes years to acquire. So yes, the Camino will always be here, but I fear that I will not meet it again with my family. I have not yet shed a tear, but as I stood in the Albergue in Navarette telling my family that our Camino was over, holding my sobbing daughter, encouragement that the Camino will always be here doesn’t help me. I know families are facing illnesses and difficulties far greater than me missing out on our pilgrimage, but as I said, this is a moment of egotistical indulgence. It hurts and I will grieve it properly once we navigate out of this situation. For now I’ll embrace my classic repression of emotion by focusing of doing tasks. I’ll feel later.

I hadn't made firm plans for the Camino yet. I had planned to go with my brother, but he suffered a mild stroke in January, and wasn't confident that he would be able to do it this year. (plus, he has a new girlfriend 😉) So, I was adjusting to the idea of going without him. Then I also had a minor health scare, but when I found out that everything was okay I treated myself to a new backpack to celebrate. See how pretty it is with the colorful shell that I bought in Santiago?

new backpack small.jpg

But now I'm feeling good that I'm doing the responsible thing and staying home and limiting social contact as much as possible. Because it isn't about me, it's about keeping everyone else safe.

My new backpack will still be beautiful when things settle down and I am walking the Norte again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not yet shed a tear, but as I stood in the Albergue in Navarette telling my family that our Camino was over,
Paul, I know you and your family will be bitterly disappointed, but perhaps when you return to Australia you might be find a group of fellow pilgrims that meet near you where you can reminisce and reflect on your journey, however brief it was. Remember that the path you physically walk is not all of the camino - there is the journey of preparation, and the journey when you get home.

If you look on the Australian Friends of the Camino website - https://www.afotc.org/ - you will find the groups that we know of who meet in various parts of the country. If there is none where you live PM me and I may be able to put you in touch with some one.

Safe journey home, Janet

I especially feel sorry for those pilgrims from far away for whom a Camino is maybe a one-time life opportunity. Certainly when it involves an expensive airfareticket , lots of juggling with a busy diary , responsibilities for family and relatives and limited holidaytime.

For me it is only a very reasonable priced ticket for train or flight that I have to take into consideration.

But like you said Santiago will be there in a couple of months!

Let us hope that our wonderful and generous Spanish hosts will get through this ordeal as well as possible!
May I add to your lists, our wonderful hosts in Portugal France and anywhere else good people serve and welcome all Pilgrims everywhere.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was supposed to walk tomorrow. I canceled my plane ticket on Tuesday. And now, instead of a lovely 4 week mom-cation, my 4 children ( who are still school age) will be home from school for 4 weeks, and my husband just may get sequestered at work since he works in keeping the grid functional. And I just spent the last two days trying to make sure there is food enough for 2 weeks of 7 eaters.

I am gutted, too. It was the right call. But I think its also important to allow ourselves to grieve.

as I stood in the Albergue in Navarette telling my family that our Camino was over, holding my sobbing daughter, encouragement that the Camino will always be here doesn’t help me. I know families are facing illnesses and difficulties far greater than me missing out on our pilgrimage, but as I said, this is a moment of egotistical indulgence. It hurts and I will grieve it properly once we navigate out of this situation.
But I think its also important to allow ourselves to grieve.
Yes. Because it's deeply disappointing and everyone who walks the camino has a lot invested - in money, time, and spirit.
So while pulling out and going home is completely the right thing to do right now, it is also very sad. That's not egotistical indulgence, but just the way it is. One you've supported your family and gotten home, a long solitary walk to digest the loss by yourself might be in order.

Norway is closing the border and the airports and harbours from Monday morning. No foreigners in.
Still haven´t cancelled my flight to Madrid May7., but I guess I will have to.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Norway is closing the border and the airports and harbours from Monday morning. No foreigners in.
My Madrid hostal stay is non-refundable. Happy about that: They (hostal & employees) need the money. Also my air fare to Madrid is non-refundable. Happy about that too: The airline (Norwegian) needs my money. I can afford it. This is a situation worldwide that is calling for unity, and not selfishness.

Last edited:
Haven't canceled my late September arrival to Madrid yet, but will continue to monitor. If I have any blues, it is only for the people in Europe and particularly Spain & Italy right now. So far Canada is fairly calm. I really hope that with all that is happening with Covid-19 that we hear about way more stories of selfless acts instead of an 'everyone for themselves' mentality.
It is a little disturbing to hear that ammunition sales are up over 70%. Really what are people thinking?
Hopefully common sense and general goodwill will prevail for the duration of this epidemic.
Kind of a test to see how far we have evolved as a species I think...

My Madrid hostal stay is non-refundable. Happy about that: They (hostal & employees) need the money. Also my air fare to Madrid is non-refundable. Happy about that too: The airline (Norwegian) needs my money. I can afford it. This is a situation worldwide that is calling fo unity and not selfishness.
I guess that some of us Norwegian pensionistas can manage well with some cancelations now and then.
Flights in Europe has become very cheap the last years due to Norwegians air .
Once I paid more for my bus ticket to the airport 170 km away than for a flight with Norwegian to Bordeaux on one of my caminos.
Had to cancel my walk in September due to illness in my family, so I start thinking I will never get to Picos de Europa which is the aim for my last camino then and now. So I´ll just wait and see

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
maybe not. money is for the 10 if may and I'm waiting till the last minute. much can change in 50 days.

The same as many as I/We consider our travel plans, I had adopted a wait until closer approach a day or two ago, hopefully allowing things to calm down a bit. Below is an announcement on the Delta Airlines site from today when I logged in .....

GUIDANCE ON CHANGING YOUR TRAVEL
Need to make a change to your travel plans? To help address customers with immediate travel needs, we are asking those who do not have travel in the next 72 hours to refrain from changing your travel plans until closer to your trip. We know that customers are experiencing long phone wait times and issues on delta.com due to the incredibly high volume. We are actively working on improving the experience.

Thank you for your patience and partnership as we work through this unprecedented situation.

@Paul_L I am fortunate to have spent three weeks on the Camino with all eight of my children, as well as their grandpa and daddy - additionally I have done many more weeks with various ones of the kids, sometimes with daddy and grandpa and even with an uncle too. The first time we went back without all the kids felt strange - I’m really feeling for your family right now.
My kids are probably as disappointed as I am that I won’t be going for two months after Easter - but.....and this will be the same for you.....you will be able to influence how your kids respond to this by your own response. @mspath unwittingly gave some great advice earlier: I shall not worry about what I can't control but shall hope for the best while trying to make things better. I wish that for your family.
Maybe making a photo book together might be one way to process the disappointment and preserve your special memories.
While your kids might not be at an optimal age again and lined up with leave etc, maybe there will be something else. Have you checked your insurance? I know mine would pay for return flights if I had more than 15days of my trip remaining - perhaps yours might be the same?
I wish your family all the best as you wrap up your journey and contemplate the future.

€149,-
So...I just applied for a refund and hope this will be "actioned" in a smooth way. I prefer this option rather than trying to reschedule given the foggy unforeseeable future (fuf).

It is no trouble to rebook and yes, the wonderful Camino will still be there. Maybe there will even be a better fare. Yes, there was and is a mourning period but I am rolling with what is--thankful for my health and wish the best for others. Thanks for starting this thread.
Keep well, safe travels and Buen Camino.

I was supposed to start the CP in mid June but I can not see that happening. I have the opportunity to postpone to September if things get back to normal by then. If this does not happen, putting it off to next year is not very desirable as it is a Holy Year with the accompanying extra crowds and no doubt those who could not walk this year will make it even worse. I am trying to stay positive about all of this, but it is not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back