• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID-19: Corona virus discussion (Round 4)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the last 24 hours, I have seen the same false stories posted in English, French, and Spanish - supposedly medical advice but without reference to named medical experts or research institutions. Please intervene if you see these lies being shared. Teach your friends and family to trust reputable sources and distrust advice that does not cite sources:

Holding your breath is not a simple self test for coronavirus

Sipping water will not prevent infection

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My friend and I planned to fly out from Australia on Apr 1. We will now cancel and lose thousands of dollars. It is so devastating.
There are many of us who WERE planning to depart around this time. I was one of them (March 26th from Adelaide). I decided some time ago that I would change my plans and that I would change my ticket to Dec when I plan to walk the Camino Frances anyway. I have had no time to sort dates etc. but knew that I had the option of either changing my dates for the cost of $70 plus fare changes / taxes etc, or cancelling for somewhere between $4 - $500. I have been procrastinating and today received a message from the airline to say my flights were cancelled and therefore I can expect a refund. I tell you this because waiting just might be financially more prudent!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Zealand Prime Minister has today announced a mandatory two week self-isolation for everyone entering the country from anywhere except Pacific Islands.
My situation is similar to @jl ’s. Once the government increased the alert level and accommodation closed, my insurance would pay out - to not have to bear a financial loss certainly helps ease the disappointment. So it may be prudent to decide not to go, but still wait a bit before cancelling.

I am just double checking that I have my info right. As of right now I can fly from Canada to France and then walk the Frances. I know there is one closure so far of an albergue on this portion, but for the most part the frances is business as usual (at this point), correct? I am scheduled to start on Tuesday. I am not concerned about a delay in getting home, I just don't want to arrive for nothing.
I don't think so! See Ivar's latest posts...everything is shutting down on the Camino. I just arrived in Santiago from walking the PC...really disappointed that pilgrim office, cathedral, Alburgues are all shut down.

There are many of us who WERE planning to depart around this time. I was one of them (March 26th from Adelaide). I decided some time ago that I would change my plans and that I would change my ticket to Dec when I plan to walk the Camino Frances anyway. I have had no time to sort dates etc. but knew that I had the option of either changing my dates for the cost of $70 plus fare changes / taxes etc, or cancelling for somewhere between $4 - $500. I have been procrastinating and today received a message from the airline to say my flights were cancelled and therefore I can expect a refund. I tell you this because waiting just might be financially more prudent!
That's interesting! I was due to fly out of Melbourne on the 27th March (with Qatar). I'm leaving it as late as possible to cancel/reschedule my flight in the hope the airline will cancel and I'll be refunded. Glad it worked out for you! Sometimes procrastination pays off! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think this is the 5th or 6th time I've seen someone say they're going to Scotland. Looks like it will be a busy place up here, the West Highland Way might be busier than the Frances.
No cases yet in the highland region, but 6 now on Shetland.
Remember still plenty of time for snow, like this morning, and the midges and clegs will soon be here, and the ticks, not that I'm trying to put anyone off coming of course.

That's interesting! I was due to fly out of Melbourne on the 27th March (with Qatar). I'm leaving it as late as possible to cancel/reschedule my flight in the hope the airline will cancel and I'll be refunded. Glad it worked out for you! Sometimes procrastination pays off! :)
Hi,,, but you can cancel now with Qatar,, and you can get a full refund,, or travel voucher for full value valid for a year!! I have just done so,,, and apparently other airlines also
Just go onto Qatar airlines online

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Obviously I am not going to start my first Camino for which I had an April 1 arrival in Madrid. I think Madrid may be in quarantine then.

The thing that scares me the most is that the stars may never align so well again for me to go. Maybe Never. I'm actually returning as much of the equipment that I can today. No point in keeping it. I hold out hope for the fall, but I can always repurchase next year, or certainly by the year after.

Stephan, the force of desire is surprisingly strong in everything to do with the Camino. I have seen this over a year and a half in the hostel, it seems that Santiago especially rewards those who believe in him and on the Camino. (maybe it's just an inner strength of ours…)

You will come to Spain, you will walk the Camino, and you will see that the stars with real strength are those of the Via Lactea, also called Camino de Santiago in Spain, that's how I learned it at school many years ago. The Camino follows the direction of the Via Lactea and the stars guided pilgrims at night, perhaps you already knew that.

I´m also a painter by profession ..., if you go through Frómista, even if only in passing, I´m here.

Gabriel

(keep alive the wish!!!)

Last edited:
Re stocking up the TP (on the serious note)...
I heard a psychologist on TV explaining this as the need of people to think that they do something SUCCESSFUL in this situation. TP is relatively inexpensive and it's bulky so people have the feeling that they did something good about surviving. Makes sense in a way although I don't really understand it in my own case. But then again adds (on internet or TV or whatever media) doesn't have any effect on me :)
🙄Y!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stephan, the force of desire is surprisingly strong in everything to do with the Camino. I have seen this over a year and a half in the hostel, it seems that Santiago especially rewards those who believe in him and on the Camino. (maybe it's just an inner strength of ours…)

You will come to Spain, you will walk the Camino, and you will see that the stars with real strength are those of the Via Lactea, also called Camino de Santiago in Spain, that's how I learned it at school many years ago. The Camino follows the direction of the Via Lactea and the stars guided pilgrims at night, perhaps you already knew that.

I´m also a painter by profession ..., if you go through Frómista, even if only in passing, I´m here.

Gabriel

(keep alive the wish!!!)
Thank you, Gabriel, for your encouraging words. Yesterday felt very dark for me as I returned my equipment and saw everyone at the store buying “survival” supplies. But today is a new day, the sun is shining and life goes on. I think we’re all in for a dark time for at least a few months, But as you said eventually it will all settle down, and my biggest complaint will be how heavy my sketchbook weighs in my backpack while walking the Camino. I’ll make sure I look you up, and maybe spend the night when I pass through. I’ll send you a PM which is just a reminder to myself in case it’s a year down the road.

Already referred to in the Special Announcements thread --

Some more details :

From Monday 8 AM --

The Spanish Cabinet on Saturday decided that it was going to do as much as possible to slow down coronavirus contagions in the country. Government ministers have opted to prohibit all journeys in Spain that are not due to “force majeure,” but will allow trips so that people can get to work and purchase food. The decision was taken at a special meeting today ahead of the implementation of a state of alarm in Spain, a measure that was announced on Friday by Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez in a bid to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

Journeys will be limited to the following purposes :

1. The acquisition of foods, pharmaceuticals and essential items.

2. Access to healthcare centers.

3. Journeys to workplaces or to carry out labor, professional or company duties

4. Return journeys to habitual residences.

5. Assistance for and care of seniors, minors, dependents, the disabled or especially vulnerable people.

6. Journeys to financial institutions.

7. For reasons of force majeure or situations of necessity.

8. Any other activity that is justifiably necessary.

We wondered how the camino could be closed.
There you have it.
Starting Monday, the camino will be essentially closed (from the announcement thread):
From Monday on, you won't be allowed outside in Spain unless it's for certain reasons only. If you're on the Camino right now, please take note. If we see any updates for this lockdown that are Camino-specific we'll post them here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think so! See Ivar's latest posts...everything is shutting down on the Camino. I just arrived in Santiago from walking the PC...really disappointed that pilgrim office, cathedral, Alburgues are all shut down.
Yes, when I posted that post I was correct, but then things kept changing. As of yesterday morning I am now not going. It was going to take those official states of alarm type things to stop me, and that's what happened. I wasn't going to skip just because of speculation, but things thankfully became official before my scheduled flight which would have been tomorrow night.

Editorial from Portuguese local news:

Translated (slightly edited for clarity):

"This is a fight for our own survival." It was in this way that the Prime Minister summed up the exceptional situation we are experiencing, in his communication to the country. The next weeks will be difficult. We will have to reorganize our lives to halt the pandemic progression of this coronavirus which - to be clear once and for all - kills up to 26 times more than the flu virus.

It is a new virus, which can mutate and become even more dangerous and resistant, as some studies already indicate. The progression of the disease in Europe is surpassing all estimates, with more than a thousand deaths in Italy in one week. We are in unknown territory.

At this time, it is essential to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 and avoid the concentration of many cases of lung infection in a short period of time, to keep hospitals functional.

Therefore, and it never hurts to repeat, if you have symptoms you should not go to the health center or hospital, but call the Health 24 line (808 24 24 24). Going to the hospital could put hundreds of people and medical teams at risk if you are really infected.

Against Covid-19 we have three powerful weapons. Let us make use of them.

1. Social isolation. So yes, it is necessary to close schools, clubs, gyms and cancel all public events until Easter. And avoid leaving the house. It will be necessary to go buy food, assist a family member or neighbor, solve a problem. But these are not the times to take children to play in the garden, to go to the cafe or to stroll in the shopping center. Many will have to keep working but everyone who can stay at home should do so. Whenever you leave home, think that you may be putting your health and that of others at risk.

2. Hygiene. Wash your hands several times a day and avoid touching your face (eyes, nose, mouth), frequently disinfect bathrooms and kitchens, clean door handles, television controls, computer keyboards, mobile phone screens, etc. with alcohol.

3. Information. Keep up with the recommendations of the Directorate-General for Health. Don't believe rumors published on Facebook, WhatsApp chains, secrets that run by email. Choose one, two, three professional media outlets that deserve your trust, and keep an eye on them. Reliable information is a beacon in these dark times.

In times of crisis, human beings reveal the best and the worst in themselves. In the coming days, many professionals, like the journalists in this newspaper, will have to go out to work. From the doctor who will do double shifts in the emergency room to the farmer who continues to ensure that we have fresh produce in the supermarkets, from the cook who feeds the elderly in the homes to the municipal employee who collects garbage on the streets. The best way to honor the effort they make, in addition to thanking them, is to stay home, if we can do it.

Let us take advantage of these exceptional times to also look more at ourselves and at others, valuing what is most extraordinary about the Portuguese people - their generosity."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have had a bidet toilet seat for several years. Wash and dry. Takes long enough that you can read a full chapter of your current book. Pity I can't take it with me on my next Camino, whenever that is. Just binned April.

As from tonight midnight, restaurants, cafés and bars will be closed in France. The only places to stay open will be banks, tabac/newspapers quiosks, pharmacies, food stores and petrol station.
Public transport remains open too but I gather with fewer trains/buses/metros available.
i hope no-one is still walking in France 😔

I am due to start the CF on May 21st. I have decided to wait until mid April to see what the situation is then. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, difficult decision.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,,, but you can cancel now with Qatar,, and you can get a full refund,, or travel voucher for full value valid for a year!! I have just done so,,, and apparently other airlines also
Just go onto Qatar airlines online
Yes, my travel agent had notified me of this...but I thought I'd prefer a refund than a travel voucher that must be used within 12 months. It's doubtful I'll get this amount of leave from work again in the next 12 months. But still, it is a pretty good alternative so I'm not complaining!

Yes, my travel agent had notified me of this...but I thought I'd prefer a refund than a travel voucher that must be used within 12 months. It's doubtful I'll get this amount of leave from work again in the next 12 months. But still, it is a pretty good alternative so I'm not complaining!
Sorry I don't really understand your reply,,,,, but you can get a refund!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello
I think that it would be OK (for now) to walk a camino.
the big deal will not be this winter/spring it is going to be next winter when the virus will be well spread throughout the world.
There where very few Albergue’s in the distant past. Pilgrims slept out and the Spanish are not vindictive.
I realize that sleeping out is not for everyone, but a Camino is a pilgrimage not a stroll in the park it is ment to be a challenge.

Hello
the big deal will not be this winter/spring it is going to be next winter when the virus will be well spread throughout the world.
There where very few Albergue’s in the distant past. Pilgrims slept out and the Spanish are not vindictive.
I realize that sleeping out is not for everyone, but a Camino is a pilgrimage not a stroll in the park it is ment to be a challenge.

You are apparently unaware of what the situation is in Spain and in the rest of the world and which precautions are generally advised by health authorities globally.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello
I think you are grossly mistaken. It will not be OK to walk a Camino now. As of tomorrow morning all unnecessary movement outside the home in Spain is being strictly limited by law. Making a pilgrimage on foot will not count as one of the exceptions to that regulation which the government intend to enforce for the well-being of all. I do not believe that such action is what you choose to call "vindictive". I do not believe it is up to us as individuals to decide which laws we will abide by and which we can simply choose to disregard because of our personal ideas of what a pilgrimage is about.

Hello
I think, that as a new member, you should read ALL the threads on the virus before posting.

Wow thats a good slap or 2. So much for creative thinking
I agree with you if you want to cuddle up to an albergue full of pilgrims on your camino, but what I was suggesting was that in PRINCIPAL ONE could self isolate on a Camino, BY SLEEPING OUT you ultimately don't need to talk to or be with other people at all If you are on a solo Camino.
If the Spanish government ban movement outside the home then I agree with them. And I am not suggesting that anyone rushes down the Camino. I was alluding to the practical possibilities that this year the numbers are still quite low, but next winter the story is going to be completely different and walking a Camino will definitely not be impossible. I saw the large amount of people on the French Way this year who were suffering from bed bugs and of course it is far to dangerous to use albergues in this crisis.
I have no plans to walk a Camino until this virus is under control and we are all vaccinated and I support the bans and shutdowns, looks like it has worked in China if we can believe them.

It is strange how I can write one thing and others read something else.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE EMBARKS ON A CAMINO AT THIS TIME AND NEXT WINTER WILL DEFINITELY BE A VERY BIG NO NO

By the way I am self isolating for 7 days due to having been to a funeral yesterday with 60 people, just in case.

I just heard on the radio that Spain has implemented its lock down.

I apologized to anyone who was affended by my previous post.

BE SAFE ALL OF YOU

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@De Caminoista, even more than " creative thinking " we need common sense.
Spain is in Estado de Alarma. Even public parks are closed so good luck with sleeping out.

Read up here please on the Covid seeing you will probably have enough time with your self isolation.

Count yourself " lucky " that you were able to attend a funeral with so many people there. In our country only the bare minimum can now go to a funeral. No service even!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I give up
We got it straight away. You say that there are a privileged few who can walk and camp. The privileged few can travel to their camino starting point and travel from their camino end point. The privileged few can buy food along the camino and interact with the locals. The privileged few can buy their coffee con leche and their beer and their zumo and interact with the locals (actually, they can't right now, I guess you are not up to date on the situation in Spain). All the privileged few have to do is avoid staying in an albergue. I would not call this creative thinking.

In Tenerife the government has closed all hiking trails in the National park. I feel it is only a matter of time before this is extended to the Camino.

In Tenerife the government has closed all hiking trails in the National park. I feel it is only a matter of time before this is extended to the Camino.
The fact that one is not allowed to be outside of their home except to go to the grocery store, pharmacy or work means that for all intents and purposes the Camino IS closed NOW.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Please do read the latest on this pandemic. There is no walking anymore on any Camino.
Spain is in Estado de Alarma.

You can't even walk in the park in Spain!

No unnecessary travel at ALL!

Woah. The same happened with a National Park in Aragon in Northern Spain. National hiking associations ask people to stay at home, see here. It seems that many hikers and cyclists had the brilliant idea to travel en masse to somewhere in the open air.

Sign says: Access is closed. Reason: Social responsibility. Social as in "we are all in this together".
National parque.jpg

Well, the only positive thing about the closures in Spain is I think it’s quite likely that the airline will cancel my flight, which means I’ll get my money back. Hopefully also for the many people who’ve also had to cancel their travel plans. This morning I see I can change my flight without penalty, but honestly I don’t know when I want to change my flight to, yet.

And of course, the best thing countries could do everywhere, is follow Italy’s and Spain’s example; mandate everybody stay home. That would massively flatten the curve. Probably even make it smaller. It would screw up the economy, but how much are a million lives worth?

And I wonder if there will be either enforced or socially pressured closures in my country (USA)? I just started thinking that maybe in the next week I should load up everything, and drive the 1500 km to my elderly mother’s house, In case she needs help. And then I have to wonder if I would bring it with me....

I can already imagine in my mind the day when we all feel safe again, and the freedom you‘ll feel walking down the street without fear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One point is raised in this article which I think is worth pointing out and relevant here:

Fedme (Safety Committee of the Spanish Federation) has issued a series of recommendations while the coronavirus emergency lasts. It asks sportspeople and fans to "limit or renounce" their activities: mountaineering, trekking, climbing, via ferrata, canyoning and any type of excursion.​
The Fedme justifies their recommendations by pointing out that any accident or incident "could increase the workload of hospitals and health personnel, which are already heavily overburdened by the coronavirus emergency. A day of fun for you may mean taking away medical care from someone who needs it more than you do. Fedme also warns that in a State of Alert [i.e. the official situation that the State of Spain is in now), any sports accident is considered negligence and falls outside the scope of insurance coverage.​

I don't know anything about the figures for hospital visits and doctor's visits by pilgrims on a normal day on the Camino Frances in say April or May but every visit adds to the total number.

Well, the only positive thing about the closures in Spain is I think it’s quite likely that the airline will cancel my flight, which means I’ll get my money back. Hopefully also for the many people who’ve also had to cancel their travel plans. This morning I see I can change my flight without penalty, but honestly I don’t know when I want to change my flight to, yet.

And of course, the best thing countries could do everywhere, is follow Italy’s and Spain’s example; mandate everybody stay home. That would massively flatten the curve. Probably even make it smaller. It would screw up the economy, but how much are a million lives worth?

And I wonder if there will be either enforced or socially pressured closures in my country (USA)? I just started thinking that maybe in the next week I should load up everything, and drive the 1500 km to my elderly mother’s house, In case she needs help. And then I have to wonder if I would bring it with me....

I can already imagine in my mind the day when we all feel safe again, and the freedom you‘ll feel walking down the street without fear.
My mum is travelling from Greece on Thursday to be with my 92-year-old grandmother in England. She said I could go too, but given the travel I've done in the last few weeks I won't. I'm well aware I could already be carrying the virus.

This thread is for general discussions about Corona Virus and how it is affecting the Camino - personally or in general. Please do not post about how the virus is affecting albergues as we have a special thread running for that here. We also have this thread that gives general information "live from the Camino" - it is for people who are actually on the Camino right now.

You are welcome to post your thoughts about whether you will go or not, but please do not try to tell other members what they should do, and do not give medical advice.

All other information about the virus can be posted; numbers, spread, insurance issues, travel plans, disruptions, links to relevant newspaper articles, government press releases.

We will keep a close eye on the thread and delete any posts that offend against the Forum Rules, or that the Moderators deem unhelpful, alarmist or unreliable. Any complaints - send a PM to Ivar (see Forum Rule 7).

Please try to keep your posts reasonably short.
A link to a short video that I found helpful:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I completely understand the sentiment but crashing economies also costs lives. Decision makers will be forced to strike a balance - very difficult to do but necessary. I pray the measures being taken are effective but I do not think they can be sustained for very long.

€46,-
I completely understand the sentiment but crashing economies also costs lives. Decision makers will be forced to strike a balance - very difficult to do but necessary. I pray the measures being taken are effective but I do not think they can be sustained for very long.
I think this is the classic definition of “between a rock and a hard place.” And the rock is a mountain and the hard place is a field of diamonds. I’m glad I’m not the one who has to make these decisions.

Latest from Portugal

You can see (lower right of the webpage) that their trajectory of infection seems to be exactly following other countries'. They seem to be a few days behind Spain, but their response is almost immediately mirroring Spain's so perhaps the early social distancing and other proactive responses will help their results.

I just got an email from a Portuguese friend in our small town over there. He says, with his usual understatement: "Right we have a big problem here in Portugal with covid 19. We can't do normal life so if you are thinking to come, you better think twice. Probably next week i have to stay home from work. It's not easy here with that disease."

He is one of the many tradespeople country-wide who live in very small villages and travel from town to town during the week, installing gas and electric infrastructure. Their jobs are likely to be put entirely "on hold" very soon.

€46,-
Not seeking to distract from the seriousness or to suggest that these gestures have any power to change the threat, but when people come together like this it does give a sliver of hope that maybe our current state of polarization is not going to last forever. Yesterday at 10:30 pm, people all over Spain all came to their balconies to applaud the sanitation workers and thank them for their work. I got an email from a friend near Tarragona who said it was a pretty emotional experience. And I figure that good news is in short supply so these little snippets may be soothing.

when people come together like this it does give a sliver of hope that maybe our current state of polarization is not going to last forever. Yesterday at 10:30 pm, people all over Spain all came to their balconies to applaud the sanitation workers and thank them for their work. I got an email from a friend near Tarragona who said it was a pretty emotional experience. And I figure that good news is in short supply so these little snippets may be soothing.
Ohhhh. Very heartwarming.
lso on a lighter note, someone suggested that I change my avatar
For goodness sake...why?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even though caminos are a no go for us all right now, I am still enjoying this forum! The comraderie is comforting. Perhaps a past pilgrim would like to start a new thread with favourite memories and funny stories from their camino which could keep the momentum going until we can get to Spain? (or maybe there is already one that I've missed?)

I really can't imagine anyone is travelling anywhere at the moment, but if you have to, here's the latest UK FCO advice, summarised by the Guardian ...

Thanks. I'm in the U S. but I imagine much of this information would apply to us as well. Very informative to see how countries around the world are handling foreign arrivals.

Every day brings a new surprise. A ban on non-essential travel into the European Union for initially 30 days has been proposed and published. Likely to be approved tomorrow (Tue 17 March). Not yet published: When the ban will be in force. So that takes us well into April, to at least 18 April 2020.

Trivial info: Von der Leyen, the current EU Commission president is a qualified medical doctor.

Last edited:

€46,-
The British Foreign Office is advising all persons within the UK to not leave the country over a period of 30 days.

For the first time in history, apparently, the Canadian government has put in place a succession plan in the event the Prime Minister becomes unable to do his job!

I am curious, what is France doing that Spain did not? A week ago their numbers were about the same, with France perhaps a bit higher. Is Spain testing more?

€46,-
For the first time in history, apparently, the Canadian government has put in place a succession plan in the event the Prime Minister becomes unable to do his job!
I would be very surprised if it were the case that there is no succession plan. In fact, I believe there is a well-defined process. What is your source?

I would be very surprised if it were the case that there is no succession plan. In fact, I believe there is a well-defined process. What is your source?

Perhaps my mistake. I always assumed there was a plan, this article made me go hmm and then I contemplated not remember anything re this from my civics class an eon ago. Perhaps this new order in counsel just articulates and formalizes an existing plan.

Perhaps my mistake. I always assumed there was a plan, this article made me go hmm and then I contemplated not remember anything re this from my civics class an eon ago. Perhaps this new order in counsel just articulates and formalizes an existing plan.
From reading that article, I think that "unprecedented" referred to the moment when it would be implemented. In other words, the plan has never had to be activated. However, I am confident that the plan and succession process have existed, ready to be started if needed. See this older article. Let's hope so!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Italian PM is suggesting today that the Italian lockdown is likely to be extended beyond April 3rd.

As I watch Covid-19 spread across the world, there are some lessons to be learned.

From my observation, the Koreans seem to have the best grasp on this situation. My days in the business world have past but one thing I learned is if you find a process that works use it. The not invented here syndrome is one that leads to poorer results. One aspect of every meeting was to share processes that worked with our peers. Those that did this were compensated for sharing information that led to the better performance of the group. At this moment, I hope this is what medical professionals are doing across the world and not letting narcissistic politicians get in the way.

Heavy testing is the way to identify the depth of the problem, which in turn leads to the solution process. Let us allow the medical professionals to work.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another silver lining if you ARE planning on flying:

If you have to fly, TSA has loosened liquid restrictions for hand sanitizer:
Per the TSA website, “TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer containers up to 12 ounces to be permitted in carry-on bags until further notice. Passengers can expect that these containers larger than the standard allowance of 3.4 ounces of liquids permitted through a checkpoint will need to be screened separately, which will add some time to their checkpoint screening experience. Please keep in mind that all other liquids, gels and aerosols brought to a checkpoint continue to be allowed at the limit of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters carried in a one quart-size bag.”

€46,-
making the best of the situation here is a prety good article I received from Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC):

Staying Active While We Practice Social Distancing

Ultreia!

👍
I have a Rails to Trails only a few blocks from my home. I love it and use it almost daily. Thanks for the info, Buffy!
I hope your camino unfolds in however many days your countdown has left on it...hopefully the virus will be "long gone" by then!

@Camino Chrissy
Ditto
Pennipack Trail 5.5 miles not far away from my house. I use it constantly

thanks for the well wishes
Like i quipped on one of these threads - If i DO make it, the influx of folks will be just crazy since lots of them are postponing til 2021.
Maybe I'll just ask Spain to close the border and then sneak in via oh... I dont know... 1K Euro 'donation' :rolleyes:

😇😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hamstering, from the verb "to hamster". This refers to humans copying a hamster which will fill its cheeks with far more food than it needs. Most usually observed in humans in Tesco, Asda, Morrisons et al.
Dont they also required to drive KIA Soul? :oops:

Changing the subject back...

Please wish @Ballari and partner safe journey - Qantas being well, they are hopefully starting the long trip back to Tasmania this morning, they have been stuck here in London for several strange days after leaving Spain in a tearing hurry, and I had the pleasure of meeting them earlier in the week.

Travel is still technically legal within France -- however, new measures are being implemented reducing TGV timetables down to 15% normal, and the local TER trains & buses to 25%.

Travel is still technically legal within France -- however, new measures are being implemented reducing TGV timetables down to 15% normal, and the local TER trains & buses to 25%.
Our local commuter trains have all announced that they will operate on weekend schedule (i.e. reduced # of trains and lesser cars per train)
Which of course begs the question - does not this result in more people being in said train\car thus negating the whole 'keep social distance' idea?
Like it or not some folks DO need to move about and do use public transportation only now passengers from say 3 trains 10 cars each are all getting onto 1 train\3 cars
:oops:

Our local commuter trains have all announced that they will operate on weekend schedule (i.e. reduced # of trains and lesser cars per train)
Which of course begs the question - does not this result in more people being in said train\car thus negating the whole 'keep social distance' idea?
Like it or not some folks DO need to move about and do use public transportation only now passengers from say 3 trains 10 cars each are all getting onto 1 train\3 cars
:oops:
You do have a point. However, the train companies are struggling to keep staff safe and clean the trains. So, I guess it depends on what the ridership actually turns out to be.

Our buses are running on a reduced schedule, free, with entry only from the rear doors (to keep away from the driver?) I'm not sure if the commuter train schedules have changed.

In California, as of today, there’s a home shelter order until April 19TH.

Shopping malls, bars, restaurants, schools, universities, 75 percent of jobs shut-down. I think drive through food purchases are still okay.

We are to venture out of house only for: groceries and medicine.

Oh! Oddly, enough you can still get your hair and nails done.

The Governor of state is terrified. He thinks 56 percent of Californians may be infected. From whence he has come by those numbers I know not. But, we are medically unprepared for even a mild onslaught: not enough medical personnel, protective clothing, masks, ventilators, and so on.

Upon awakening this morning I heard the new quiet. The silence of cars whizzing along a main thoroughfare one block over, doors slamming, the world at life.

It is eerie.

I love the Twilight Zone series.

Never did I imagine I would realize a quasi like existence.

Stay healthy everyone.

He thinks 56 percent of Californians may be infected. From whence he has come by those numbers I know not.
Around 60% is the number that nearly everyone works with: this particular virus has the effect that, on average, every infected person infects 2-3 other persons if no measures are taken to prevent this. When around 60% of a population have been infected and become immune, this is no longer possible.

He thinks 56 percent of Californians may be infected. From whence he has come by those numbers I know not.
If California can keep infections down to 56 per cent of the population it'll be doing well. The UK chief medical officer thinks 20 per cent infection would be a *good* result. Epidemiologists expect 70 per cent of the world population may get it. If the UK has only 20 per cent, that's 12 million and 10 per cent of those infected need an intensive care bed, that's 1.2 million. That's about 10 times to total number of beds in England. So a shelter at home order sounds sensible. There is nothing like that in the UK and in a couple of weeks we'll probably regret that.

That's ridiculous. Especially the manicures.
SURELY there are people in this World for whom their nails are VERY ESSENTAIL
Just imagine.... somehow I contracted the virus and died...in my house... unnoticed.
X-number of days later "they" will discover my (maybe somewhat decomposing :oops:) body....and...MY NAILS WONT BE DONE!!!! :eek:

I just CANNOT live with that thought and i WILL NOT! (✌) lET TIS HAPPEN!!!!!

;)

Around 60% is the number that nearly everyone works with: this particular virus has the effect that, on average, every infected person infects 2-3 other persons if no measures are taken to prevent this. When around 60% of a population have been infected and become immune, this is no longer possible.
@Kathar1na, I don’t understand what you mean - ‘When around 60% of a population have been infected and become immune, this is no longer possible.’ What is ‘no longer possible’? Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@NorthernLight
I'z recn the key word here is 'lightly' else why close the hard liquer ones
Time to take off to the mountains and cook me up some of dat good'ole'sweet 🌕SHINE 🍼

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back