• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Sagrada Familia to get a roof after 127 years

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
One of Spain's most iconic monuments La Sagrada Familia, a humongous Roman Catholic church in Barcelona that has been under construction since 1882, will finally have a roof. Expecting to be ready by 2010, the church will then be able to host services and events inside its premises.
Originally designed by Antoni Gaudi, the church is recognised by its 18 tall towers and its architectural style is a cross between Art Noveau and Cubism.
What's most interesting about this structure is that it's not funded by the government or any church. It has been built purely on private donations and money from tourist tickets, the main reason why it's still under construction for the last 125 years. The church attracts about 2 million visitors annually and standard entrance is €10.
Word is that the structure won't be completed until 2026, but since its construction relies heavily on tourist pennies, even that date is debatable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ten Euros per person is hardly pennies, but the fact that it is built as monies are raised is of note. It is a remarkable structure and the differences in the sculpture fount on both sides is fascinating. The interior pillars are breath-taking each time I have seen them.

Sil, you consistently find the best stuff to share. Thank you.

Michael B

MichaelB10398 said:
Ten Euros per person is hardly pennies,

Michael B

That's my initial impression as well $20 million euros per year for a couple of years plus donations should build one heck of a roof.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I first saw the Sagrada Familia in 1969. It was wonderful and amazing even then. I have been inside twice since then. The second time must have been about 1975 and I could see that the structure had deteriorated a little – the tracery of a window (unglazed) had broken. The third time was around 1985. I hope to see it when it is finished!

Just visited it in November
It's almost finished... and what a sight to behold it is
I'll post some pictures tomorrow

The entrance fee BTW is about 30€ although it's cheaper if you buy the ticket online

I just visited this unique, strangely beautiful and fascinating church this past October. Its definately worth the entrance fee and purchasing tickets online is best. Although on a guided tour, I was not aware it had no roof.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just visited this unique, strangely beautiful and fascinating church this past October. Its definately worth the entrance fee and purchasing tickets online is best. Although on a guided tour, I was not aware it had no roof.
@Camino Chrissy
The first post is from 2009 and the roof was apparently installed in 2010.

@Camino Chrissy
The first post is from 2009 and the roof was apparently installed in 2010.
I wondered as I recalled being inside the church looking up at the ceiling. It seemed complete so after reading about the roof I assumed there was a temporary structure in place...oh well, I can be a duffus sometimes!😅 Thanks for clarifying!

I hope to see it when it is finished!

It's wonderful that this has become a real possibility !!

When I first (and last) visited the Cathedral, in about 1972, it was thought that another century of work would be needed -- although of course no Cathedral is ever really "finished", but only ever reaches certain points in its history where major work may become temporarily unnecessary ... ➕

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wondered as I recalled being inside the church looking up at the ceiling. It seemed complete so after reading about the roof I assumed there was a temporary structure in place...oh well, I can be a duffus sometimes!😅 Thanks for clarifying!
The ceiling is amazing. I know that I have better pictures, but this is the one that I was able to find.La Sagrada Familia ceiling.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The last time I was there ... 3 or 4 years ago, the front had barely been started and they’d only just started tearing down the buildings across the road from the front.

The group that is building it own most of the block facing the front, and the rents have contributed to the cost of building. The plan had been to tear down all the apartments to make space for the front & approach. As time passed, and the city grew, the issue developed of what to do about that busy road. There was talk of redesigning the front to create the building over the road.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have to admit that I was not exactly a Gaudi admirer. But this Cathedral totally blew me (and DW) away.
When we walked in and ...just got "HIT" with it all.... we started crying and...it took some doing not to immediately fall onto our knees (we did that later at the Prayer section)...and all that was going in our heads was "THINE IS THE GLORY"

To say that its stupendous would be an understatement. We also were fortunate enough to visit the Mallorca Cathedral where Gaudi was in charge of the refurbishment of the internal layout and the decoration.

Thus it is conceivable that I'll take extra time to hang out in Astorga when the time comes
I mean, come ON - chocolate and Gaudi 👍

P.S. I wanted to put up another post of some exterior sculptures of Sagrada but al of them proved to be too big to download 😞

I had no tears, but my jaw dropped as my mouth hung open! I've been to the Gaudi structure in Astorga and it's a delight in a smaller, different way...still very unique and relaxing to visit as far less people pay to go in...well that was my experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went there after my Camino in 2016 and marvelled at the tremendous progress that had been made since I had last seen it in 1989. That also caused me pause when I saw the title of this thread, before I looked to see when the thread started.

This is my favourite photo from last time I was there:
1588366748503.png

Been there, done that and will defo do it again.

it’s like no other church I have been in.

I mean, stone trees instead of the more usual bland pillars, what’s not to like 👍

I was fortunate to visit Sagrada Familia last year while walking the Camino stage from Barcelona to The Monastery at Montserrat. The first visit I was planning to attend mass in the crypt but instead was able to attend the international mass in the main Basilica.

It was wonderful to experience the Basilica as a place of worship rather than as a highly instagramable tourist site. Because you are attending a religious service there is no charge ( a collection plate is circulated) and you are not allowed to take photographs. Unlike most church services, you do need to go through an airport like screening to enter. Since I hadn’t come expecting a screening I had my regular backpack with me and I was allowed to enter after it was XRayed and hand searched. I’m among a select few to ever have their underware Inspected on the way to church. Last fall they offered the international mass on Saturday, Sunday and special feast days before the Basilica is opened for tourist visits.

I returned again on another day to attend mass in the crypt. This is a much smaller affair, no XRay screening (I didn’t have my backpack, so don’t know how they handle that) and is also free. Following mass I enquirer at the sacristy door about a stamp for my pilgrim credential, told to wait a minute and then was taken by the priest up to the church offices where the stamp was kept. It’s a nice looking Celtic inspired design. I would attach a photo, but I am sheltering in place on the other side of the country from my credentials.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back