• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections at Astorga

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
Slowly the light comes, gently-softly the night melts away. The sunflowers, weary from the heat of yesterday are bent, their yellow heads pointing to the ground. The birds lie silent in their nests, all is quiet, not a sound. The sky is white, flat like a sheet, big and empty. The watch on my wrist ticks away the seconds, one after another they mark the passing of time; the hours, the days, the months and years. I know by this that my body is growing old. That I am getting older, that one day my head, like the sunflowers, will be pointing to the ground. I know that this minute is everything, I know that it is nothing, I know that it will pass, that the cogs and wheels of my watch and of the universe will keep turning and ticking, that this little heart of mine will keep beating. I know that soon the birds will leave their nests and start singing, that the sun will come out and fill the sky with golden light and the sunflowers will once again point their heads towards the sky. I know that I will be moving on tomorrow, leaving all this behind and trying to make sense of this world, this cosmos, this senseless and godless world where nothing works as it should; not like my watch, or the rising sun; predictable, reliable, unfailing. We are natures flawed experiment, perfect and imperfect at the same time, forever seeking joy in places where it does not grow.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Slowly the light comes, gently-softly the night melts away. The sunflowers, weary from the heat of yesterday are bent, their yellow heads pointing to the ground. The birds lie silent in their nests, all is quiet, not a sound. The sky is white, flat like a sheet, big and empty. The watch on my wrist ticks away the seconds, one after another they mark the passing of time; the hours, the days, the months and years. I know by this that my body is growing old. That I am getting older, that one day my head, like the sunflowers, will be pointing to the ground. I know that this minute is everything, I know that it is nothing, I know that it will pass, that the cogs and wheels of my watch and of the universe will keep turning and ticking, that this little heart of mine will keep beating. I know that soon the birds will leave their nests and start singing, that the sun will come out and fill the sky with golden light and the sunflowers will once again point their heads towards the sky. I know that I will be moving on tomorrow, leaving all this behind and trying to make sense of this world, this cosmos, this senseless and godless world where nothing works as it should; not like my watch, or the rising sun; predictable, reliable, unfailing. We are natures flawed experiment, perfect and imperfect at the same time, forever seeking joy in places where it does not grow.

Really liked this so please keep writing.

Walk soft. Stay safe. Vaya con Dios. Buen Camino.

The Malingerer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beautifully written, Jim.

In time, perhaps you will find your way, and the answers that work for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.