• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yet another health threat to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don’t mean to sound dismissive, because this is potentially another non-trivial health issue to consider for anyone who will spend days and days walking outside in Spain. It is a vector for West Nile virus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And the Congo-Crimea fever is back too... keep your eyes on tick bites, and go to a health center inmediately if you have been bitten by one, do not try to remove ti yourself unless you really know what you are doing!

Even in Germany on the river Rhine and Mosel and on the Danube you will find Tiger-Mosquitos infectious with Malaria and West Nile-fever. As far as you have no pre-condition you are not more in trouble than for any other zoonosis.

BC
Roland

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
potentially another non-trivial health issue to consider for anyone who will spend days and days walking outside in Spain
And don't look at this distribution map for Aedes japonicus for the year 2014 ... ☺

Current-distribution-map-of-Aedes-japonicus-japonicus-at-the-state-or-province-level-in.png

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hhmmm I think we may need an axe thread .. weight, style, how to carry it, actual effectiveness against aliens and/or zombies - sharpened carbon head or traditional carbon steel ..... whether refugios should provide free grinders ... oh ... the choices!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Some years ago I experienced an unpleasant encounter with a man in southern Ontario who suffered from the results of being infected with West Nile Virus. Judging by his behaviour, he had neurological consequences, as well as physical symptoms. I would never minimize the threat of this disease. But I believe (hope) that it is rare among humans.

I’ll keep at home. Enough mosquitos where I live, lots of places to walk,not so hot either. Midnightsun as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Funny how different the reactions are. When I read the article, it sort of made me think —well the only thing we can do in this dangerous world is be careful and manage the risks the best we can. No way are we ever going to have a totally safe camino or a safe place anywhere in the world for that matter. So in some weird way, it made me think I’d be going back to the camino sooner rather than later.

the only thing we can do in this dangerous world is be careful and manage the risks the best we can. No way are we ever going to have a totally safe camino or a safe place anywhere in the world for that matter.
Well, said, Laurie. That is the enduring lesson of all of this. Whether we like it or not, the world is a dangerous place, and our birth certificate comes with the guarantee of a death certificate.
That's not morbid, but just the way it is and something worth reflection.

At some point (regardless of official decrees) we will all have to decide when it is safe to emerge from whatever place of safety we've put ourselves in and go out into the wider camino world. That absolutely doesn't mean we take stupid risks or do selfish things that put elderly people or communities in Spain at risk - just that we can't avoid our own personal vulnerability by wrapping ourselves in cotton wool.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've written out my advanced care directive. So knowing (a) I won't be revived if found unresponsive after the age of 82, and (b) I won't be peg fed, and (c) if I'm in pain or distressed, morphine or any happy mood inducing drug is to be applied generously and without regard to consequences (including but not limited to vino tinto and Laphroaig) - I feel ready to take my chances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've written out my advanced care directive. So knowing (a) I won't be revived if found unresponsive after the age of 82, and (b) I won't be peg fed, and (c) if I'm in pain or distressed, morphine or any happy mood inducing drug is to be applied generously and without regard to consequences (including but not limited to vino tinto and Laphroaig) - I feel ready to take my chances.

LAPHROAIG ? One of my favourite whiskeys back in the good ole days! I still like the Mc ALLAN but again its been many a year since I could drink it! As I'm 82 I'm making damn sure not to be found unresponsive in case the medical bodies are hovering like them there Tiger Mozzzies. My eldest son is a nurse awa up there in the frozen North and reckons the tigers wouldn't have a chance against the Midges :)

Hang loose !

The Malingerer.

Funny how different the reactions are. When I read the article, it sort of made me think —well the only thing we can do in this dangerous world is be careful and manage the risks the best we can. No way are we ever going to have a totally safe camino or a safe place anywhere in the world for that matter. So in some weird way, it made me think I’d be going back to the camino sooner rather than later.
Makes the Bedbugs seem like welcome pets! (just being silly) but so much is upside down. Ah stay safe ya'll , see you on the Camino sometime in the distant future, unless something else comes up. Virtual HUGS

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Makes the Bedbugs seem like welcome pets! (just being silly) but so much is upside down. Ah stay safe ya'll , see you on the Camino sometime in the distant future, unless something else comes up. Virtual HUGS
🙃I enjoy silliness, too... sometimes more than I should.

Makes the Bedbugs seem like welcome pets!
Daft innit; dear old B Bugs have been preying on humans for millennia and in all that time they don't seem to have ever become a disease vector, but then I suppose their incentive is to ensure that there are plenty of pilgrims available. They're not likely to try and cull lunch.

but then I suppose their incentive is to ensure that there are plenty of pilgrims available. They're not likely to try and cull lunch.

I would think there might be a lot of very skinny and hungry bedbugs cursing this Corona virus business.

Wouldn't be surprised if the little known Association of Bedbugs financially supported the "open the border" campaign either.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have to add Laphroaig to my advanced care directive!! 😂😂😂

It noses like iodine , it numbs like novocaine, it eases like sleep.
Strictly, a winter scotch!

I live in Minnesota, where the mosquito is facetiously called our state bird. If you want to get outdoors in our beautiful summers you have to learn to live with them.
Are you telling me the fridge magnet my daughter brought back is a calumny?

1592554230805.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vino tinto and Laphroaig sounds even worse than a Kalimodjo!

An assortment of diseases carried and transmitted by mosquitoes has always been around. To some extent we are now noticing them because Covid 19 has made people aware that modern medicine cannot cure everything. We in the West are accustomed to being able to get vaccines to protect us against many of the traditional diseases and of having antibiotics which deal with bacterial infections. It therefore comes as something of a nasty surprise to many people that there are still diseases around that can make them very ill and in some cases kill them and that there is little they can do about it. I'm old enough to remember the last polio epidemic in England and the fact that measles used to be feared because of the high rate of damaging effects, most people under my sort of age - 65 - will never have known that and it's easy to be complacent.

If you go to less sophisticated parts of the world you find yourself in another situation altogether and have to learn the various strategies used by people there. It becomes normal to sleep under a mosquito net, to avoid being in wet areas at dawn and dusk when the mosquitoes are most common, to wear long sleeves and trousers, to use insect repellents - and many areas have their own natural insect repellents that are at least partially effective (I was shown bog myrtle by a Sami woman and that is astonishingly good at repelling the Nordic mosquitoes).

Because of climate change we are seeing the areas where some insects can live expanding and moving. I don't see it as a reason for not going into the wild but we are going to need to re-learn some of the strategies for reducing our risk of becoming ill. And of course it's wise to get vaccinated against diseases where a vaccine is available.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are suffering a recurrence of measles in Alberta because the increasing number of "anti-vaxers" who will not get their children vaccinated has destroyed the herd immunity that we were relying on to avoid measles outbreaks.
Indeed. And because those diseases have been very rare for some time people have forgotten just how nasty they can be. I'm at the front of the queue for vaccines when I go travelling, and I always get my flu shot. That amuses my doctor because I hate needles so she always knows if I'm intending to go travelling somewhere new because I present at her surgery and cringe while she does the shots. Which illustrates how much I think it matters.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don’t mean to sound dismissive, because this is potentially another non-trivial health issue to consider for anyone who will spend days and days walking outside in Spain. It is a vector for West Nile virus.

One can not simultaneously walk hand in hand with the Lord and walk in fear.

Well, as to a safe place..... No one gets out of this life alive, and there are many ways to leave.

Where I live (Brazil) we have to contend with dengue fever and zika from the mosquitos, let alone the current Covid problem. Keeping my head down at the moment!

Hhmmm I think we may need an axe thread .. weight, style, how to carry it, actual effectiveness against aliens and/or zombies - sharpened carbon head or traditional carbon steel ..... whether refugios should provide free grinders ... oh ... the choices!!!
Carrying an axe answers most of the equipment questions. The ax will take up most of your 10 per cent body weight allowance, so, no sleeping bag, shoes not boots, no poles, water bottle not bladder.
As you grind the axe away the weight in the pack can be replaced with souvenirs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This guy leaving Estella was well prepared! (It was early May)
Axe.jpg

Doesn't sound like something you would enjoy; especially if you are over sixty!!(more susceptible over sixty)
We will have to wear hazmat suits to be safe from them and running shoes to get away from the ZOMBIES!
A true story:
My soon to be ex wife taught both our children to climb trees from an early age to escape zombies in case of a zombie apocalypse!(never thinking as a zombie food source;with a zombie at the bottom of the tree how they would get down again)
Her second instruction was;"leave your dad he can't see he will slow you down".
She climbed a tree to practice, once when out walking her dog alone and got stuck.
A guy out with his dog helped her down and the bit that amazed me was;she actually told him why she had climbed up.
I asked her what did the guy say when you told him?
She said he just smiled and left.
I wonder why ha!ha!
Woody.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sombre indeed, a whole section of Jylland is in lockdown and tons and tons and tons of animals are being put down i droves.
A suspicion of a Cluster no 5 variant is not reacting to normal vaccines ( when they do come) has brought this on.....

instead of a heavy axe, you bring a steel wire saw:

1604699582107.png

it packs like this:

1604699651163.png

- but good luck explaining this to the Bomberos, if you light a fire !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sombre indeed, a whole section of Jylland is in lockdown and tons and tons and tons of animals are being put down i droves.
A suspicion of a Cluster no 5 variant is not reacting to normal vaccines ( when they do come) has brought this on.....
In case this gets really big, don't let it call the Danish virus, because in fact it started in Spain.
Possibly a Danish pilgrim brought it home from Camino Aragones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.