• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Publicly humiliated for snoring

I know this won't be an option for many, but a travel strategy I've developed is using my old iPod loaded with music I enjoy. Long flights, snoring, etc....my music always does the trick.

I do this a lot, especially on airplanes. But once someone complained that they could hear the music through my earpiece sitting next to me. So I worry that it might bother someone.

There are probably more snorers than non-snorers, especially after a long hard hot day of walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do this a lot, especially on airplanes. But once someone complained that they could hear the music through my earpiece sitting next to me. So I worry that it might bother someone.

There are probably more snorers than non-snorers, especially after a long hard hot day of walking.
Some earbuds/headphones "leak" and that is annoying, but you could shop for a set that doesn't. I use my phone with earbuds and listen to audiobooks to drown out the noise around me quite often.

Some earbuds/headphones "leak" and that is annoying, but you could shop for a set that doesn't. I use my phone with earbuds and listen to audiobooks to drown out the noise around me quite often.

Thanks, I will do some checking around for better plugs. Now, if anyone has a suggestion for how to stop me from talking in my sleep? :confused: Too many times I've been woken by someone just to tell me to shut up and go to sleep. :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks, I will do some checking around for better plugs. Now, if anyone has a suggestion for how to stop me from talking in my sleep? :confused: Too many times I've been woken by someone just to tell me to shut up and go to sleep. :D
Funny...maybe if you are listening to something you won't be talking. :p I like the quotes in your signature. All great.

This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works.

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

I have a hotel room tomorrow night in Leon. But I'm a bit shaken up by this.

I find ear plugs work well .Sometimes I can hardly hear myself snore.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

I'm sorry you were treated like that. I apparently snore myself, and I have had similar experiences where I was humiliated about it. There seems to be nothing I can really do to treat it, I even took a sleep study but I couldn't get a CPAP because I didn't have sleep apnea, and I can't use a mouthpiece because I already have one for teeth grinding. There is some kind of experimental surgery but of course that has risks. You know, it seems like there is not much support about this topic. I put in "humiliated about snoring" in Google and this was the only blog that came up. Everything else is about how snoring happens, how snoring affects others and ads for remedies that probably don't work. It is like the other person is the only innocent victim. I get it, since my mom snores too so loudly that she will wake me up if she shares a room with me. So I get it. But the snorer could suffer a lot of guilt, shame and embarrassment because of it. It really hurts. For me I found the best thing to do is try to get my own room, and if not, provide ear plugs for any roommates. If it's a huge room with a crowd of people then...I don't know! If someone says something rude and humiliates you as you said, tell them "That really is rude and hurts my feelings" and walk away, or "You know, people could say things about you, but they don't want to hurt your feelings" (Hint: That really hurt my feelings) or, if you feel especially sassy, "Well, you were farting overnight, and it smelled so bad that I didn't get any sleep either." There is someone I know who is always humiliating me in front of others about snoring, so I know how you feel. They think it's funny but it hurts my feelings. So I know how you feel. Remember my advice, chin up, keep being you and thanks for posting this. It helped me too. Thanks

I'm sorry you were treated like that. I apparently snore myself, and I have had similar experiences where I was humiliated about it. There seems to be nothing I can really do to treat it, I even took a sleep study but I couldn't get a CPAP because I didn't have sleep apnea, and I can't use a mouthpiece because I already have one for teeth grinding. There is some kind of experimental surgery but of course that has risks. You know, it seems like there is not much support about this topic. I put in "humiliated about snoring" in Google and this was the only blog that came up. Everything else is about how snoring happens, how snoring affects others and ads for remedies that probably don't work. It is like the other person is the only innocent victim. I get it, since my mom snores too so loudly that she will wake me up if she shares a room with me. So I get it. But the snorer could suffer a lot of guilt, shame and embarrassment because of it. It really hurts. For me I found the best thing to do is try to get my own room, and if not, provide ear plugs for any roommates. If it's a huge room with a crowd of people then...I don't know! If someone says something rude and humiliates you as you said, tell them "That really is rude and hurts my feelings" and walk away, or "You know, people could say things about you, but they don't want to hurt your feelings" (Hint: That really hurt my feelings) or, if you feel especially sassy, "Well, you were farting overnight, and it smelled so bad that I didn't get any sleep either." There is someone I know who is always humiliating me in front of others about snoring, so I know how you feel. They think it's funny but it hurts my feelings. So I know how you feel. Remember my advice, chin up, keep being you and thanks for posting this. It helped me too. Thanks
This thread is from 2013.

This thread is from 2013.

Might I repeat my appeal to the honorable moderators that we need some message in a conspicuous typeface which makes it clear that the thread you are about to resurrect has been sleeping peacefully for several years? It’s happening every couple of days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can snore too, while other times I am silent. I found that if I am tired after a longer day and I have a big Spanish meal in the evening with wine or beer, I start snoring during the night. But if I walk a shorter stage under 25 kms or so and have a very light meal in the early evening, alcohol free, I am quiet.
From your 5 posts above, it sounds like you may be a drinker. This could be your problem too.

I can snore too, while other times I am silent. I found that if I am tired after a longer day and I have a big Spanish meal in the evening with wine or beer, I start snoring during the night. But if I walk a shorter stage under 25 kms or so and have a very light meal in the early evening, alcohol free, I am quiet.
From your 5 posts above, it sounds like you may be a drinker. This could be your problem too.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, it seems like my snoring is sporadic, not every night, so maybe that is true for me too.

Wouldn't be snorers more likely to spread covid around the room? (just asking). I can picture in my mind the fountains of little red and blue covid particles thrown out with a great force into the air with every snore through entire night 😟

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would say that the snoring sounds are produced when inhaling not exhaling

That's actually good point! But then instead, maybe snorers are more vulnerable than non-snorers because with the force which they have in their throats, they can suck up the little covids from much larger distance...

1290670_o0e67.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You would imagine that a pilgrim snores on purpose. If snoring annoys any pilgrim I would suggest that are not suited to be a pilgrim and they should be the ones staying in a hotel. A Pilgrim is one who is on a religious or spiritual journey and enduring hardships along the way would not be unusual to encounter. And Tolerance of other people would be a prerequisite for the pilgrim.
I hope that when I walk my 15th. Camiño I won’t meet such an intolerant and rude person .

I am really sorry you had to go through this experience and feel like this.
I usually do not snore myself, only in very rare occasions, if I am sick and my nose is closed. That is something you can not influence, but what people can influence is complaining.
Honestly every night a minimum of 3-4 people were snorers sometimes more. This did not bother me. But what bothered me EVERY DAY was the complaining of people about it. For me if you walk the camino and sleep in Albergues with many people who walked 20+ k everyday thinking you will be in peaceful quietness is far from reality. I think the complainers should pick a hotel room instead. They do not even think about how annoying that is. Sorry but this is what bothered me 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I just don’t like it if people complain about some logical happenings over and over again. I had to walk away from the complainers. Those were usually the people who also complained about other things all day long...;) ultreia

i have a snoring partner, so am well used to night noises. After years I find it mostly reassuring. So most nights on my first Camino I just went gently with it. Normal levels of noise are part of the albergue experience.

BUT

in Tosantos I slept on a mat about three inches from a large German lady whose snores were so loud that despite good earplugs i hardly slept. I was so tired in the morning that I cried on the trail. I felt sick all day. reallack of sleep is awful.

after that I booked private rooms. it ruined the albergue experience for me. Talking to my partner. And his freinds they know who is a normal snorer and who is LOUD. I think normal snoring is just part of commmunal life. But I do think that those who know they are thunderous need to mitigate things as best they can. When there it’s by private rooms or dental devices or whatever....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back