• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On this date in November...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the morning of the 21st of Nov. 2019, I went to obtain my compostela and distancia certificates. I had my compostela made out in memory of my childhood friend's mother. Her mother had died rather suddenly the year before, and I arrived in SdC on the anniversary. My friend had thought perhaps to walk with me around the time of her grief, but had not been able to get away from work. The compostela now lives with my friend. My distancia now occupies pride of place in a set of frames that hold my original compostela from 2014, three distancias and a padronia.

After the certificates had been secured, I went to mass in the small chapel... and then joined the lunch at the Parador. *so much rain!*.

I wandered town and found the old Irish college. I spent time wandering around the university buildings, and considered some shopping at Massimo Dutti but then did not... (We do not have that store where I live and my son really likes their scarves, gloves etc). I found some trinkets for folks at home -- a favourite student was defending her PhD that week, and so I bought her a figa pendant... wondered if I could fit rueda cups in my pack to take home (no). Found some fine leather gloves for son's girlfriend (his request)....

...and generally wandered. I had churros in a cafe beside the Last Stamp, thanked my lucky stars for my good fortune, and decided that I would not try to walk on (nor even to bus) to Fisterra. I was starting to feel a bit run-down and figured down time would be quite OK.

I would stay until the 22nd in SdC and would leave very very early in the morning on the 23rd, taking the train back down into Portugal, to a little sea-side village, Salir do Porto, where I had booked into a B&B for a "do nothing but eat, read and stroll" rest before ending my sabbatical and heading back to prep classes through December.

No photos for now because Safari crashes on my old MB-Air so I will upload photos later from iPad.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2010: into Santiago and Albergue Fogar Teodoromiro from Outeiro Vedra on the VdlP/Sanabres. 2010 was one of my long caminos. Started in Vezelay 14 September, walked to Pamplona with my brother. (Our side-trip to d'oradour-sur-glane has to be one of the most heartbreaking memorials I have ever seen--right up there with Hiroshima and Dachau.)
After Pamplona, took a train to Seville for a solo VdlP starting 25 October. By far and away my most solitary walk in Spain; maybe 6 others in the 4 weeks. Downside was that the infrastructure was nil that time of year and my Spanish was also nil!! Settling in sometimes required knocking door-to-door by the albergue to ask for a key--and food was mostly GORP. I loved Sanabria--had to stay 3 days to rest a bad Achilles, and Ourense to SdC has to be the loveliest short route. And it was nice to be so well conditioned after Vezelay-long days were not a big problem. Last time I used Alison Raju guide. Great for the time but verbal descriptions of routes and outdated albergue info added to the struggle.
And "The Way" was opening in SdC--but I declined going as was all in Spanish.

OK.... I am in the end of term sprint, so I’m going to bundle a set of photos from Nov 24-Dec 1 together.

Here’s the narrative.

For 30-some years I’ve managed chronic tonsillitis with occasional flare-ups. I belong to the demographic in N. America who were denied tonsillectomies and sent to antibiotic treatment for flares. 3-4 cases of strep per year in my teens and early 20’s led to an antibiotic allergy. My last round of really bad tonsillitis was in my 40’s and I had to use a really obscure antibiotic that is normally used for “exotic” skin infections.

As I was saying a few days back, I was feeling pretty run-down in Santiago, and the damp weather and mould in many of the buildings of places where I stayed caused me to have what I thought was a bad cold starting in SdC. I was *really* looking forward to warmer weather and some sun down south of Coimbra. I live in a place where it starts to snow early, and continues to snow until May so my idea of “warm weather” is pretty generous. Salir do Porto, just below Nazaré was to be my perfect holiday spot. I arrived there on the 24th after taking things really easy in SdC for a few days.

By the 27th I was in ER in the middle of the night, unable to breathe, with cellulitis in my airway, heading for sepsis. 35 KM ambulance ride to Caldas da Reinha OESTE hospital. Overnight in the ER; IV antibiotic usually used for tropical infections, constant monitoring for any allergic reaction. 28th, morning: 2 emergency surgical drainages without any anaesthesia because I am allergic to so much stuff that the ENT was afraid to administer any potentially dangerous drug to me. Over night in a hotel around the corner and another drainage in the ENT’s surgery on the 29th... cleared to fly home with medical documentation to have tonsillectomy as soon as I arrived home.

I was driven, quite generously, to the airport by my B&B hosts. Prayed my way home.

Total bill (I received the record from my insurance company about 2 weeks ago: 134 euros).

Arrived to my doctor within two hours of landing, and still have to plead for surgery. Then a resident came in, fast-tracked me through the ER on-call ENT and I was seen, put “first” in line for a “hot tonsillectomy, and was back home in bed by December 2nd.

Word to the wise: recovery at 52 from tonsillectomy is way worse than when we are kids. It was 3 months before my voice was normal again, and it was 6 months before I regained all the feeling in my face.

I give you:
Salir do Porto; the IV PORT for my metrinodazol; a shot of the ER halway and the triage room sign that still cracks me up; and recovery at home.

I will be forever grateful to the miracles of my CP 2019, to the kindness of the ER ENT in Caldas da Rainha, and my good luck.

Attachments

• 518365CD-86CC-49E6-9AA7-C581FF44136F.jpeg
    518365CD-86CC-49E6-9AA7-C581FF44136F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 0133EE3B-C3D3-458E-8DA1-B423D63AA18D.jpeg
    0133EE3B-C3D3-458E-8DA1-B423D63AA18D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • C1032085-9548-4E79-B828-00F47DEB418B.jpeg
    C1032085-9548-4E79-B828-00F47DEB418B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 7E794248-B49B-47E0-B621-F75A9387DAC2.jpeg
    7E794248-B49B-47E0-B621-F75A9387DAC2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
November 25, 2011

Some miracles

Even today miracles can still occur on the Camino; it all depends on one's viewpoint. Tuesday while walking along the Valcarce River towards Ruitelan a car tooted; the driver was Carlos, the hospitalero who runs the delightful Pequeno Potala refuge. "Margaret!" he said; "I heard that you were coming back."
What a happy welcome!

Each time that I have stayed at this Buddhist place has been a true pleasure. Carlos is an outstanding host and chef who puts pilgrims at ease creating a special peaceful ambiance while he serves a copious dinner. We were eighteen unexpected drop-in guests at table yet the atmosphere was most serene. He answered questions, offered advice and quieted jitters while simultaneously from a few jars, bottles, cans and boxes created a modern day miracle of the "loaves and the fishes" to feed us all.

Next day after the steep climb up the mountain to the village of O Cebreiro traces of other miracles both past and recent could be felt. Arriving at last and entering the tiny Romanesque church is always memorable. The magnificent silver chalice commemorates the famous Medival miracle of faith when a parishioner saw the transformation of wine and bread into blood and flesh. Outside in the garden more contemporary panels commemorate the visionary work of the 20th century local priest Elias Valinas Sampiedro who recreated the idea of the camino with its network of supporting albergues and even painted the now famous first yellow arrows which mark our way. ...Never underestimate the strength of personal conviction!

Last edited:
Must be something they do in First Class!
Ha, chance would be a fine thing, since giving up my brewery job I've have had to wave good bye to business class, pilgrim tips ae cattle class.... I really miss the extra keg room... Ops leg room

2019, Santiago de Compostela
2018, Nosa Señora de Monte do Faro, Camino del Invierno
2017, Trancoso Castle, Camino Torres
2016, above Á Gudiña, Camino Sanabrés
2015, nearing Aciberos, Camino Sanabrés

Attachments

• DSC_1310.jpg
    DSC_1310.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0360.jpg
    DSC_0360.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171124_103606.jpg
    IMG_20171124_103606.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20161128_121540-1.jpg
    IMG_20161128_121540-1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0398-1.jpg
    DSC_0398-1.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 2
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back